"If value corrupts then absolute value corrupts absolutely."

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?

SubjectAuthor
* What's with 'Software Updater'?Big Al
+* Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?Mike Easter
|`- Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?Big Al
`- Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?Yrrah

1
What's with 'Software Updater'?

<su1g7n$a99$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2908&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2908

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: What's with 'Software Updater'?
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:46:14 -0500
 by: Big Al - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 22:46 UTC

I know about the 'Update Manager' that runs every couple of hours and picks up updates. But after it runs, I'm now getting a new window
opening up titled 'Software Updater'.

Today it listed about 5 things, and if I say install, it does about 10% of a red line and then back to the screen with nothing showing yet
it still has a 'install' button. I can hit that install button several times and it never seem to do more that 10%.

Anyone know what gives? Can I remove it? More important, where did it come from?
--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?

<j6ivn8Fmaf6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2909&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2909

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 15:06:15 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:06 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> I know about the 'Update Manager' that runs every couple of hours and
> picks up updates.   But after it runs, I'm now getting a new window
> opening up titled 'Software Updater'.
>
> Today it listed about 5 things, and if I say install, it does about 10%
> of a red line and then back to the screen with nothing showing yet it
> still has a 'install' button.  I can hit that install button several
> times and it never seem to do more that 10%.
>
> Anyone know what gives?   Can I remove it?    More important, where did
> it come from?

Mint's update manager's name is mintUpdate. It has some nice features.

My Mint has an update-manager in its repo/s which is not installed .

> This is the GNOME apt update manager. It checks for updates and lets the user
> choose which to install.

If you use your synaptic and find that you have that update-manager
installed, you could uninstall it from there.

Personally I (often/also) use synaptic as my update manager because I
find it more flexible in terms of my ability to pick and choose what to
update and what not.

This is where I found out about update-manager/ Software Updater

https://launchpad.net/update-manager Software Updater

--
Mike Easter

Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?

<su1teu$nb4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2910&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2910

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 21:31:57 -0500
 by: Big Al - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 02:31 UTC

On 2/9/22 18:06, this is what Mike Easter wrote:
> Big Al wrote:
>> I know about the 'Update Manager' that runs every couple of hours and picks up updates.   But after it runs, I'm now getting a new window
>> opening up titled 'Software Updater'.
>>
>> Today it listed about 5 things, and if I say install, it does about 10% of a red line and then back to the screen with nothing showing yet
>> it still has a 'install' button.  I can hit that install button several times and it never seem to do more that 10%.
>>
>> Anyone know what gives?   Can I remove it?    More important, where did it come from?
>
> Mint's update manager's name is mintUpdate.  It has some nice features.
>
> My Mint has an update-manager in its repo/s which is not installed .
>
>> This is the GNOME apt update manager. It checks for updates and lets the user
>> choose which to install.
>
> If you use your synaptic and find that you have that update-manager installed, you could uninstall it from there.
>
> Personally I (often/also) use synaptic as my update manager because I find it more flexible in terms of my ability to pick and choose what
> to update and what not.
>
> This is where I found out about update-manager/ Software Updater
>
> https://launchpad.net/update-manager  Software Updater

That's just what I did, I removed update-manager in synaptic. I'm still curious where it came from, since it's GNOME's, I wonder if I
installed some item that added it along with it. Oh well, it's gone now.
Thanks Mike.

--
Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2 64bit, Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop
Quad Core i7-8550U, 16G Memory, 512G SSD, 750G & 1TB HDDs

Re: What's with 'Software Updater'?

<ik1a0hpgn431evkdi8vo53j2hm5kr64dp7@net.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2911&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2911

From: Yrrah-a...@aolm.invalid (Yrrah)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Sender: Yrrah <Yrrah-aolm@aolm.invalid>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:35:58 +0100
 by: Yrrah - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 12:35 UTC

Big Al <Bears@invalid.com>:
> I know about the 'Update Manager' that runs every couple of hours and picks up updates. But after it runs, I'm now getting a new window
> opening up titled 'Software Updater'.
>
> Today it listed about 5 things, and if I say install, it does about 10% of a red line and then back to the screen with nothing showing yet
> it still has a 'install' button. I can hit that install button several times and it never seem to do more that 10%.
>
> Anyone know what gives? Can I remove it?

An old "problem".

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=272620

> More important, where did it come from?

You must have installed it (Gnome update thingy)

Yrrah