"It's not just a computer -- it's your ass." -- Cal Keegan

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

SubjectAuthor
* [OT] Emails undeliveredpinnerite
+* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredMike Easter
|`* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredpinnerite
| `* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredMike Easter
|  `* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredMike Easter
|   `* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredpinnerite
|    `* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredMike Easter
|     `* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredpinnerite
|      `* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredMike Easter
|       `* Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredpinnerite
|        `- Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredMike Easter
+- Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredDan Purgert
`- Re: [OT] Emails undeliveredJeff Layman

1
[OT] Emails undelivered

<20220208211952.cc7c383dd8a9157d7db9fc0d@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2899&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2899

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: [OT] Emails undelivered
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:19:52 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:19 UTC

Not strictly Mint but here goes.

A friend with whom I have been exchanging emails for several years, has suddenly found that replies to me from her iPad bounce with an "undeliverable" message.

BUT only to my NON-gmail account. If I send to her from my gmail account she can successfully reply.

It doesn't matter on which device I want to open them because hers never arrive.

It seems to me it must be at her end. What do the experts think?

TIA

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<j6g692F60igU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2900&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2900

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: [OT] Emails undelivered
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 13:39:45 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:39 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> BUT only to my NON-gmail account.

Would you care to say what specifically non-gmail means; ie would it be
too intrusive to know what domain is the non-gmail?

That is, she receives an email from you at provider X, but when she
replies to how the headers of that email are constructed, provider X
says her mail is undeliverable.

So, something is wrong w/ your address at provider X somehow; we have to
figure out whether that is your fault or provider X's fault.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<slrnt05or6.5ru.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2901&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2901

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:40:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:40 UTC

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<stupqb$c4g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2902&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2902

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:11:22 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:11 UTC

On 08/02/2022 21:19, pinnerite wrote:
> Not strictly Mint but here goes.
>
> A friend with whom I have been exchanging emails for several years, has suddenly found that replies to me from her iPad bounce with an "undeliverable" message.

Strange you should say that. I got a phone call last week from someone
who had been sending emails to me at the same address for years, and was
suddenly getting "undeliverable" when trying to reply to one i had sent.
The email (from a Hotmail account) was from an iPhone. Is it something
to do with iCloud Mail, perhaps?

<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203528> (Published date 4 February,
but I do not know what, if anything, has been changed}.

--

Jeff

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<20220208221139.5936042fe42eea05ce6fdce9@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2903&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2903

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:11:39 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:11 UTC

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 13:39:45 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > BUT only to my NON-gmail account.
>
> Would you care to say what specifically non-gmail means; ie would it be
> too intrusive to know what domain is the non-gmail?

I will not disclose the names of my non-gmail accounts other than to
say they are hosted by Nativespace and end in .co.uk

> That is, she receives an email from you at provider X, but when she
> replies to how the headers of that email are constructed, provider X
> says her mail is undeliverable.

That is correct.

> So, something is wrong w/ your address at provider X somehow; we have to
> figure out whether that is your fault or provider X's fault.

My respondent copies an pastes my email address into her replies.
No changes have been made to any addesses since before 2010,
nor the wesite hosting by Nativespace either, although they did switch
to a new server last years.

> --
> Mike Easter

Thanks for helping.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
DRAM.

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<j6g8orF6fh2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2904&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2904

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:22:18 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:22 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> My respondent copies an pastes my email address into her replies.
> No changes have been made to any addesses since before 2010,
> nor the wesite hosting by Nativespace either, although they did switch
> to a new server last years.

If she has gotten herself ie her mail provider has onto a spam
blocklist, it is possible the nativespace server's choice of blocklist
functions could be 'bouncing' (as in rejecting) her emails at the smtp
connxn and therefore they are undeliverable.

The gmail server is more 'sophisticated' than the nativespace server.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<j6g94mF6hfhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2905&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2905

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:28:36 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:28 UTC

Mike Easter wrote:
> pinnerite wrote:
>> My respondent copies an pastes my email address into her replies.
>> No changes have been made to any addesses since before 2010,
>> nor the wesite hosting by Nativespace either, although they did switch
>> to a new server last years.
>
> If she has gotten herself ie her mail provider has onto a spam
> blocklist, it is possible the nativespace server's choice of blocklist
> functions could be 'bouncing' (as in rejecting) her emails at the smtp
> connxn and therefore they are undeliverable.

You would talk to your website/ mailserver/ about the problem; she can
send to your gmail address a 'bundle' of her sent mail and its
undeliverable rejection complete headers and you would provide the
bundle to the nativespace provider.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<20220209104640.c1bb241414268a5483ebd0f4@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2906&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2906

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:46:40 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 10:46 UTC

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:28:36 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:
> > pinnerite wrote:
> >> My respondent copies an pastes my email address into her replies.
> >> No changes have been made to any addesses since before 2010,
> >> nor the wesite hosting by Nativespace either, although they did switch
> >> to a new server last years.
> >
> > If she has gotten herself ie her mail provider has onto a spam
> > blocklist, it is possible the nativespace server's choice of blocklist
> > functions could be 'bouncing' (as in rejecting) her emails at the smtp
> > connxn and therefore they are undeliverable.
> >
> You would talk to your website/ mailserver/ about the problem; she can
> send to your gmail address a 'bundle' of her sent mail and its
> undeliverable rejection complete headers and you would provide the
> bundle to the nativespace provider.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

This is an unsophisticated elderly lady using an iPad.
Methinks it would be the road to insanity!.

But I will try.

I think I will get her to talk to Apple.

Thanks Mike,

Regards, Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<j6i9deFi5v2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2907&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2907

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 08:45:33 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 16:45 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> This is an unsophisticated elderly lady using an iPad.
> Methinks it would be the road to insanity!.
>
> But I will try.
>
> I think I will get her to talk to Apple.

I don't know what the iPad interface is like. Perhaps it would be
easier for her if she went to the webmail of her provider; for example
if one goes to the gmail webmail you can get access to the original of
an email including those which are marked as undeliverable or DSN
delivery status notification failure.

Gmail gives you the option to copy or download that. Then she would
email that 'bundle' to your gmail address.

I think the problem is actually on YOUR end; ie your mail/web provider;
but it will be hard to help them fix the problem if they don't have the
mail which was attempted to be sent to them in their hand. Right now
all you can tell them is her email address which tried to email you and
failed. That much would be helpful to their mail admin as well.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<20220212112200.362c3d4b6af0f8bc8b9133f7@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2916&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2916

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:22:00 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:22 UTC

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 08:45:33 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > This is an unsophisticated elderly lady using an iPad.
> > Methinks it would be the road to insanity!.
> >
> > But I will try.
> >
> > I think I will get her to talk to Apple.
>
> I don't know what the iPad interface is like. Perhaps it would be
> easier for her if she went to the webmail of her provider; for example
> if one goes to the gmail webmail you can get access to the original of
> an email including those which are marked as undeliverable or DSN
> delivery status notification failure.
>
> Gmail gives you the option to copy or download that. Then she would
> email that 'bundle' to your gmail address.
>
> I think the problem is actually on YOUR end; ie your mail/web provider;
> but it will be hard to help them fix the problem if they don't have the
> mail which was attempted to be sent to them in their hand. Right now
> all you can tell them is her email address which tried to email you and
> failed. That much would be helpful to their mail admin as well.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

Unfortunately it has 'moved'. She can now successfully reply to one
".co.uk" address but not the other.

I plan to do a series of tests from three different addresses and see
if the results tell me anything.

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
DRAM.

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<j6q0meF26tbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2917&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2917

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:05:49 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 15:05 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> Unfortunately it has 'moved'. She can now successfully reply to one
> ".co.uk" address but not the other.

I have had an address/provider in the past who 'kills' (suspends) an
address if it hasn't been inbox accessed for a long period. It is
rejuvenated by access.

So if your address is rarely used/accessed, maybe you should do so.

> I plan to do a series of tests from three different addresses and see
> if the results tell me anything.

--
Mike Easter

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<20220212161020.87ccf059381741961f85a752@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2918&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2918

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 16:10:20 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 16:10 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 07:05:49 -0800
Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote:

> pinnerite wrote:
> > Unfortunately it has 'moved'. She can now successfully reply to one
> > ".co.uk" address but not the other.
> >
> I have had an address/provider in the past who 'kills' (suspends) an
> address if it hasn't been inbox accessed for a long period. It is
> rejuvenated by access.
>
> So if your address is rarely used/accessed, maybe you should do so.
>
> > I plan to do a series of tests from three different addresses and see
> > if the results tell me anything.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

All three tests succeeded.
We will now never know what caused the glitch.
Thank you for your efforts.
Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-95-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of DRAM.

Re: [OT] Emails undelivered

<j6q53jF32taU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2919&group=alt.os.linux.mint#2919

From: Mik...@ster.invalid (Mike Easter)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 08:21:06 -0800
 by: Mike Easter - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 16:21 UTC

pinnerite wrote:
> All three tests succeeded.
> We will now never know what caused the glitch.

If you were successful at emailing your addresses from 'somewhere', that
doesn't eliminate one of my theories that she/ her mail provider/ got
itself onto a blocklist maintained by your server. Such a blocklist
constantly undergoes revisions, and your success isn't the same as her
being similarly successful.

--
Mike Easter