From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Help on links (ln)
Date: 3 Sep 2021 23:39:20 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 23:39 UTC

My Goal: I have a Directory <Business> of sub-directories and files
under /Home/Documents that I want on my Desktop to access both itself (on
Desktop) and the <Business> directory </Home/Documents/Business> with
reading and changes to the various sub-directories and files.
If this is possible, I believe the key involves making a symbolic link.

Under OS/2 I know you can "Shadow" a directory on the Desktop that is
somewhere else in a (buried) tree structure. This is what I want to do
under (Tumbleweed) linux.

Any help?

Paulrs

--
paulrs

Re: Help on links (ln)

<20210904024805.0dc02abe@nx-74205>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=291&group=alt.os.linux.suse#291

From: thoron...@telenet.be (Aragorn)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Help on links (ln)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 02:48:05 +0200
 by: Aragorn - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 00:48 UTC

On 03.09.2021 at 23:39, Paul R Schmidtbleicher scribbled:

> My Goal: I have a Directory <Business> of sub-directories and files
> under /Home/Documents that I want on my Desktop to access both itself
> (on Desktop) and the <Business> directory </Home/Documents/Business>
> with reading and changes to the various sub-directories and files.
> If this is possible, I believe the key involves making a symbolic
> link.
>
> Under OS/2 I know you can "Shadow" a directory on the Desktop that is
> somewhere else in a (buried) tree structure. This is what I want to
> do under (Tumbleweed) linux.

If your desktop environment is KDE Plasma, then there are three ways
you can go about it.

1. Set your desktop to "Folder View" in the desktop settings
("Configure Your Desktop") and point it at ~/Documents/Business.

2. Create a stmlink from ~/Documents/Business to ~/Desktop/Business.

$ ln -s ~/Documents/Business ~/Desktop/

3. Put the Folder View widget on your desktop -- it should be
available from the pre-installed list of widgets.

--
With respect,
= Aragorn =

Re: Help on links (ln)

<iphsm4F6i8nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292&group=alt.os.linux.suse#292

From: pau...@foxinternet.net (Paul R Schmidtbleicher)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: 4 Sep 2021 18:36:53 GMT
 by: Paul R Schmidtbleich - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 18:36 UTC

On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 02:48:05 +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> On 03.09.2021 at 23:39, Paul R Schmidtbleicher scribbled:
>
>> My Goal: I have a Directory <Business> of sub-directories and files
>> under /Home/Documents that I want on my Desktop to access both itself
>> (on Desktop) and the <Business> directory </Home/Documents/Business>
>> with reading and changes to the various sub-directories and files. If
>> this is possible, I believe the key involves making a symbolic link.
>>
>> Under OS/2 I know you can "Shadow" a directory on the Desktop that is
>> somewhere else in a (buried) tree structure. This is what I want to do
>> under (Tumbleweed) linux.
>
> If your desktop environment is KDE Plasma, then there are three ways you
> can go about it.
>

> 1. Set your desktop to "Folder View" in the desktop settings
> ("Configure Your Desktop") and point it at ~/Documents/Business.
>

> 2. Create a stmlink from ~/Documents/Business to ~/Desktop/Business.
>
> $ ln -s ~/Documents/Business ~/Desktop/
>

> 3. Put the Folder View widget on your desktop -- it should be
> available from the pre-installed list of widgets.

Thankyou! I used your Option 2. I knew somehow I could do this with
links - Just did not have the details of a command line. This works
flawlessly.

--
paulrs