Why are there always boycotts? Shouldn't there be girlcotts too? -- argon on #Linux

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?

SubjectAuthor
* Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAlan
|+* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Bugsy
||+- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAlan
||`* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleCarlos E.R.
|| +* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
|| |`- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAlan
|| `- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAlan
|`* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Ant
| `* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
|  `- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
+- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?nospam
+* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAndy Burns
|+* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleWaltS48
||`* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAndy Burns
|| `* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAlan
||  +* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleAndy Burns
||  |`* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleWaltS48
||  | `* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
||  |  `- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleWolf K
||  `- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleWolf K
|`- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Richmond
|`- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a GoogleWaltS48
|`- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli
`- Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?Andy Burnelli

Pages:12
Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?

<aH2WJ.83348$oF2.34896@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=28969&group=comp.mobile.android#28969

Subject: Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google
Account?
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
From: wolf...@sympatico.ca (Wolf K)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 09:18:48 -0500
 by: Wolf K - Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:18 UTC

On 2022-03-08 20:33, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>
>> Now I do thanks to Richmond who provided this link.
>>
>> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255
>
> This all hit me out of the blue this week too, where I "think" the issue
> is:
> *Google will soon kill login/password access to your Google mail account*
>
> That means you have (how many?) choices for 3rd party MUAs like TB or K9:
> 1. OAuth2 (which TB supports, but not K-9 Mail)
> 2. App Passwords (which themselves require 2FA at least once, maybe more)
> 3. 2FA (I think)
> Someone should correct me where I err above as this is critical to know.
>
> BTW, I almost never log into my Google email account using a web browser,
> but how are you supposed to log into your Google email account after May
> 30th using a web browser if you can't use your account & password?

Related query (I think):

Which 3rd party PW managers can handle this?

--
Wolf K <https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com>
If 2021 was a math word-problem: If you're going down a river at 2 MPH

Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?

<t0omi9$13qr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29275&group=comp.mobile.android#29275

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Is 2FA/2SV permanent the instant you set it up for a Google Account?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 00:27:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 00:27 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Does Google _also_ make 2FA/2SV permanent?

Since some people may be confused, Google equates 2SV with 2FA:
<https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839>
"With 2-Step Verification (also known as two-factor authentication),
you add an extra layer of security to your account in case your
password is stolen. After you set up 2-Step Verification,
you'll sign in to your account in two steps using:
1. Something you know, like your password
2. Something you have, like your phone"

While some said 2SV is different from 2FA, Google doesn't think it is.