From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: alt.free.newsservers,news.admin.peering,news.software.nntp,alt.bbs
Subject: Re: Can't post to rocksolid NNTP - where to get help?
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 15:47:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 15:47 UTC

Nadegda <nad318b404@gmail.invalid> wrote:

>>> How the hell did it fall entirely upon Usenet but not the Web
>>> or any other medium of communication? Access to the Web was not dropped
>>> by any ISP despite the kiddie pr0n issue.
>>
>> I think the reason that the now disgraced Cuomo was successful in his
>> kiddie porn politicization of Usenet was simply that people are stupid.
>>
>> Most people are so stupid they'll believe anything you tell them to.
>
> And sadly, recent events (see also: Trump, ivermectin, UV suppositories,
> hydroxychloroquine...) make it clear that nothing whatsoever has improved
> in the US since Cuomo's day. Or P. T. Barnum's, for that matter. (And did
> you know that Barnum was a Nazi sympathizer?)

Democracy depends on an informed constituency, where I won't disagree with
most of what you say (I'm not sure about Nazi's but a lot of people way
back when, e.g., Lindburgh for one, didn't know what we now know of them).

Trump (as a Republican) was as much a liar as his lawyers were (e.g.,
Giuliani) but Cuomo & Spitzer (as Democrats) were just as indiscreet.

Back to Usenet, I didn't use the free newsreaders in the days of AT&T cable
because they gave you the NNTP server settings along with the POP3/IMAP4.

While I'm sure free (usually referred to as "open") news servers existed
since the dawn of Internet time, when did free news servers come of age?

Specifically, in light of AT&T dropping Usenet en masse (I received their
letter telling me that it was all for the kids - can you believe that!), is
that when the free news servers started becoming part of the main stream?

BTW, I've never seen a free news server list that contained even the ones I
know of offhand, which makes me want to ask for a "real" free newsserver
listing which includes not only eternal september, mixmin, dizum, paganini,
netfront, neodome, solani, etc. but which includes new ones like rocksolid.

Have you?