Debug is human, de-fix divine.

computers / alt.bbs / Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-La

SubjectAuthor
* Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency ComSugarBug
+- Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latencyphigan
+- Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-LaMarc Lewis
+- Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-LatencyAnonymous
+* Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-LatencyAnonymous
|+* Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-LatencyAnonymous
||+- Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools ForMarc Lewis
||`* Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latencygaussianblue
|| `- Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-LatencyAnonymous
|`- Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools ForMarc Lewis
`- Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latencygaussianblue

1
Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<2d4bebf3f48b481a3f593323d4c16a4f$1@sybershock.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292946&group=alt.bbs#292946

Followup: alt.bbs
From: 388...@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For
High-Latency Communication
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:29:58 -0600
 by: SugarBug - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 16:29 UTC

If I were to have a goal here, it is to find simple primitives that can
interoperate for sending text messages and small files (mostly
plaintext and zipped scripts and PDF) across different networks, with
high latency as an option just in case it is needed. Censorship
avoidance would be a priority. Any system or tool would fit the bill if
such can be integrated with others to assist in this goal. Any
imaginative use of tools and techs is of interest to me for
brainstorming.

I want to try installing a BBS system on a Debian Bookworm Linux server.
I want to tinker a bit and see if it is something I would like to
integrate into my comms chain. I want to start with something simple to
get a feel for the ecosystem, how BBS systems communicate with other
servers and with clients, how they handle different nets like Fidonet,
Dovenet, Usenet, how to integrate them with UUCP and NNCP, and other
synchronization or forwarding protocols. Since there is so much under
the hood of the BBS ecosystem I want to start simple. Retro software is
a boon, however I would consider newer tools.

Which BBS software package is the simplest to install and configure?

Which is the most useful package(s)?

Which would be best for integrating a NNTP gateway to Rocksolid Light?

Which has the best user menu interface in terminal?

What is the best user clients available for Linux?

What other considerations, tools, and protocols should I be thinking
about?

Please note the Followup-To for newsgroup alt.bbs.

--
CRYP7010G3R | Don't bark. Bite! | Don't beg. Hunt! | 4477 | 7766
<7adf83fb37f311ab299e33d99688f7f4$1@sybershock.com>

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<slrnuqs7l3.mcl.wwiv@bbs.penisys.online>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292952&group=alt.bbs#292952

From: phi...@bbs.penisys.online (phigan)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
High-Latency Communication
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 07:52:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: phigan - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 07:52 UTC

On 2024-01-20, SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug> wrote:

> Which BBS software package is the simplest to install and configure?
>
> Which is the most useful package(s)?
>
> Which would be best for integrating a NNTP gateway to Rocksolid Light?
>
> Which has the best user menu interface in terminal?

I think the answer to most of your questions is Synchronet.

> What is the best user clients available for Linux?

Syncterm

> What other considerations, tools, and protocols should I be thinking
> about?

People seem to like Muffinterm on Mac and iOS. Really, any terminal that
you can configure with CP437 emulation and VGA font is good for BBSing.
Synchronet also supports UTF-8, though.

Mystic is another modern BBS software, but I don't think it has the NNTP
connectivity out of the box.

Go for other BBS software when you want to do something different. There
are plenty out there, but not all of them are still in development and
not all will do what you want.. At least they'll look different, though.

Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-La

<00000103@net396.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292959&group=alt.bbs#292959

From: ...@p0.f45.n396.z1[ASC46]fidonet[.]org (Marc Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
Subject: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-La
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2024 22:43:27
 by: Marc Lewis - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:43 UTC

+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello All.

<On 19Jan2024 22:29 SugarBug wrote a message to All regarding Questions For
Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-La >

[snip]
S> Which BBS software package is the simplest to install and configure?

S> Which is the most useful package(s)?

Without a doubt it would be Synchronet software. Freeware nd constantly being
developed and improved.

S> Which would be best for integrating a NNTP gateway to Rocksolid
S> Light?

There again, the current version (I belive it is 3.20) of Synchronet
incorporates virtually everything including a built in interface to a newsgroup
server.

S> Which has the best user menu interface in terminal?

Again, Synchronet.

S> What is the best user clients available for Linux?

Ditto.

S> What other considerations, tools, and protocols should I be thinking
S> about?

So may are built into the software, few others are needed.

Best regards,
Marc

... Call a BBS and help deminish the awesome effects of Internetitus.
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

---

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<35feffd601208a1b008c151d50e71f33@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292977&group=alt.bbs#292977

From: Anonym...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
High-Latency Communication
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 01:02:46 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 01:02 UTC

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/708/

I can tell you that I used some of these for purely legal purposes. I actually am your neighbor in Berlin. It is not the answer that you wanted but maybe you can trace somebody...

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<98a22f94c0e6d0de9f2948005192b4ea@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292978&group=alt.bbs#292978

From: Anonym...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
High-Latency Communication
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 01:17:12 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 01:17 UTC

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/708/

See if you can track some of these people down. Hell Pit (virus exchange) also had credit cards number exchange too. The Status of limitation is expired.

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<ee2e16014c97a402e73882dba0e6b1a3@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292979&group=alt.bbs#292979

From: Anonym...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
High-Latency Communication
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 02:18:01 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 02:18 UTC

http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/

Got overwhelmed with memories and copied the wrong link. Currently in a Pennsylvania demented home waiting for my turn to be the Mafia "Capo del tuti capi" and live in the mansion on the hill they call Casa Blanca.

Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For

<00000d1euser@net396.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292980&group=alt.bbs#292980

From: use...@net396.fidonet.org (Marc Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2024 22:50:09
 by: Marc Lewis - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 22:50 UTC

+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello All.

<On 24Apr2024 19:17 Anonymous wrote a message to All regarding Re: Questions
For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For >

A> http://bbslist.textfiles.com/708/

A> See if you can track some of these people down. Hell Pit (virus
A> exchange) also had credit cards number exchange too. The Status of
A> limitation is expired.

Eh? What in the world is this nonsense about? What's it got to do with BBS
systems?

"Status of limitation"... Hmmmm. That's a new one on the legal books!

Best regards,
Marc
A:Because it disrupts the flow of thought!
Q:Why is top-posting frowned upon?
... NESSEN'S LAW: Secret sources are more credible.
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

---

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For

<00000d1fuser@net396.fidonet.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292981&group=alt.bbs#292981

From: use...@net396.fidonet.org (Marc Lewis)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2024 22:58:30
 by: Marc Lewis - Tue, 30 Apr 2024 22:58 UTC

+ User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
Hello All.

<On 24Apr2024 20:18 Anonymous wrote a message to All regarding Re: Questions
For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For >

A> Got overwhelmed with memories and copied the wrong link. Currently
A> in a Pennsylvania demented home waiting for my turn to be the Mafia
A> "Capo del tuti capi" and live in the mansion on the hill they call
A> Casa Blanca.

Have you taken your daily dose of lithium? What about your vonoprazan pill?

Best regards,
Marc
A:Because it disrupts the flow of thought!
Q:Why is top-posting frowned upon?
... i souport publik edekasion
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +

---

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<l8ur01FsiavU1@mid.dfncis.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292982&group=alt.bbs#292982

Followup: alt.bbs
From: gaussian...@asymptote.invalid (gaussianblue)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication
Date: 25 Apr 2024 10:52:49 GMT
 by: gaussianblue - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:52 UTC

Anonymous@invalid.invalid (Anonymous) writes:

>waiting for my turn to be the Mafia "Capo del tuti capi" and live in the mansion on the hill they call Casa Blanca.

Hey, is this the reference to a movie? I've never heard of something like that.

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<l8uvmbFt8tuU1@mid.dfncis.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292983&group=alt.bbs#292983

From: gaussian...@asymptote.invalid (gaussianblue)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs
Date: 25 Apr 2024 12:12:59 GMT
 by: gaussianblue - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 12:12 UTC

SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug> writes:

>If I were to have a goal here, it is to find simple primitives that can
>interoperate for sending text messages and small files (mostly
>plaintext and zipped scripts and PDF) across different networks, with
>high latency as an option just in case it is needed.

But you would limit yourself to computers connected to the internet
or having access to a phone line, right? So WiFi mesh networks,
LoRa or ham radio wouldn't be options fitting your goal.

Re: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication

<16781ad25fd2fde7fd059025971c6e2c@www.rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=292984&group=alt.bbs#292984

From: Anonym...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
High-Latency Communication
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:30:34 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:30 UTC

It is a documentary.
The game plan at the time was to get through a bunch of PBX exchanges. That means you dialed a location and from that location you dialed another and so on until you reached your destination. Some people that hacked NASA went through 11 PBXes an were never caught. Anyway credentials (usernames passwords and phone numbers) were exchanged through BBSes. Most of them were unlisted and ON at specified times (like Onionshare)... There were also radio patches and laser comms etc. There was no way even 1% of the perpetrators were ever caught. Just a few idiots like Bill Gates. Jobs was never caught. Really these guys were never that good at hacking.