From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: URL links - Agent 8
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 13:11:24 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 20:11 UTC

When somebody posts a web link in a newsgroup what's the best way to
launch it in Agent 8?

I seem to recall there's an option one can set to allow this but can't
recall the details - it's been years :)

Re: URL links - Agent 8

<52p1lgt7lu4kae69grqjrguc4l7th9rop0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2934&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2934

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: URL links - Agent 8
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 14:24:12 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 21:24 UTC

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 13:11:24 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>When somebody posts a web link in a newsgroup what's the best way to
>launch it in Agent 8?
>
>I seem to recall there's an option one can set to allow this but can't
>recall the details - it's been years :)

Tools - Options - URL and Mime Settings. Scroll down to URLs and set
the radio button "Force web browser to open single window"?

Re: URL links - Agent 8

<2ln2lgd9u0haunrjngh32tap3ul4sj04cr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2935&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2935

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:30:20 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 27 Sep 2021 07:30 UTC

On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 13:11:24 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:

> When somebody posts a web link in a newsgroup what's the best way to
> launch it in Agent 8?
>
> I seem to recall there's an option one can set to allow this but can't
> recall the details - it's been years :)

Normally, web links in plain text messages should be automatically
highlighted and underlined.

1. Whether the web link need a single click or a double-click to
launch, depends on your own Agent 8 setting at:

Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> URLs
Type of mouse click to use: [____________________|v]

Which is the best way (single or double click) is a matter of
personal taste. (De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.)
I am not going to tell you which you will find best for you.

2. If http: and https: web links are not highlighted and underlined
in plain text messages, then check these things:

2.1 Go to Tools >> Options >> Display >> Message Body Pane
and in the box "How to display URLs", make sure all three of
these settings are check-marked.
a) "Highlight in a different color" -- CHECK-MARKED
b) "Underline" -- CHECK-MARKED
c) "Highlight in Composition window" -- CHECK-MARKED

2.2 Go to Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> URL Types
At the top of the panel, there is a drop-down labelled "URL:"
Check that the "URL:" drop-down contains both of these options:
a) http: URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol
b) https: URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy

Each option in the "URL:" drop-down has its own separate
settings underneath. When you select one of the option from
the "URL:" drop-down, the settings will change underneath.

2.3 Select the option "http: URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"
and confirm that the settings underneath look like so:
a) "Enable highlighting and launching" -- CHECK-MARKED
b) "Share settings with the http protocol" -- DISABLED
c) "Remove URL prefix when launching" -- NOT CHECK-MARKED

2.4 Select the option "https: URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy"
and confirm that the settings underneath look like so:
a) "Enable highlighting and launching" -- CHECK-MARKED
b) "Share settings with the http protocol" -- CHECK-MARKED
c) "Remove URL prefix when launching" -- DISABLED

2.5 If you have done _all_ of 2.1 through 2.4 and web links are
still not highlighted and underlined in plain text messages,
then you need to reset several AGENT.INI settings to their
factory default settings. The easiest way to do this is to
close Agent, delete the entire line for the setting (both
name and value) from AGENT.INI, and then start up Agent again.
In the [URL] section of AGENT.INI, these three settings:
a) Pattern6
b) Prefix6
c) Terminators5

3. Windows has changed where it stores URL associations in the
Windows Registry.

If your URLs are highlighted and underlined and it Agent is still
not launching your preferred browser properly, the quickest fix
may be to use the "Custom Settings" option for http URLs at
Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> URL Types.

To get the custom settings right, click the "Help" button on
the URL Types panel and read what it says. Be sure to pay
attention to this part:

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: URL links - Agent 8

<dfs4lgh7ld13eubudrmq7d6lcme5mmalp0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2936&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2936

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:44:11 -0700
 by: Nobody - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 01:44 UTC

On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 20:30:20 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Sep 2021 13:11:24 -0700, The Horny Goat wrote:
>
>> When somebody posts a web link in a newsgroup what's the best way to
>> launch it in Agent 8?
>>
>> I seem to recall there's an option one can set to allow this but can't
>> recall the details - it's been years :)
>

>Normally, web links in plain text messages should be automatically
>highlighted and underlined.

<blink>

Your 'structions which followed are, er, rather, expansive.

If (and mebbe that's a Big Butt), a user has a default browser set
within Windows, the simple 'radio button' setting in
<Tools >> Options >> URL and MIME Settings >> URLs> has to suffice.