Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

computers / comp.misc / Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))

SubjectAuthor
* Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))Spiros Bousbouras
+* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))Dan Purgert
|`* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))candycanearter07
| `* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))Dan Purgert
|  `* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))candycanearter07
|   +- Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.cSn!pe
|   `* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))Anton Shepelev
|    `* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.cSn!pe
|     `* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.ccandycanearter07
|      `* Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.cSn!pe
|       `- Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.cLafe
+* How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lanSn!pe
|+* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: Recentcandycanearter07
||`* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleSn!pe
|| `* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlecandycanearter07
||  +* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleBen Bacarisse
||  |+* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlecandycanearter07
||  ||`* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleBen Bacarisse
||  || `* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlecandycanearter07
||  ||  `* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleBen Bacarisse
||  ||   `- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlecandycanearter07
||  |`* on Gnus (Was: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article)Julieta Shem
||  | `* Re: on Gnus (Was: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article)Mike Spencer
||  |  +* Re: on Gnusyeti
||  |  |`* Re: on GnusJulieta Shem
||  |  | `* Re: on Gnusyeti
||  |  |  `- Re: on Gnusyeti
||  |  `* Re: on GnusJulieta Shem
||  |   `* Re: on GnusJoerg Mertens
||  |    `* Re: on GnusJulieta Shem
||  |     `* Re: on GnusJoerg Mertens
||  |      `- Re: on GnusJulieta Shem
||  `* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleRich
||   +- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlecandycanearter07
||   +* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleSpiros Bousbouras
||   |+* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleissdr
||   ||`- on noffle and leafnode (Was: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article)Julieta Shem
||   |`* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlecandycanearter07
||   | +- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleDe ongekruisigde
||   | `- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleDan Purgert
||   `- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articlerdh
|`* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: RecentKaz Kylheku
| `* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleSn!pe
|  `* Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleKaz Kylheku
|   `- Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet articleSn!pe
`* on writing subject lines (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)Julieta Shem
 +* Re: on writing subject lines (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)Lew Pitcher
 |+- Re: on writing subject linesJulieta Shem
 |`* Re: on writing subject lines (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)candycanearter07
 | `* Re: on writing subject lines (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)Scott Dorsey
 |  `* Re: on writing subject lines (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)Julieta Shem
 |   `* Re: on writing subject linesJulieta Shem
 |    `- Re: on writing subject linesScott Lurndal
 `* Re: on writing subject lines (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)Vir Campestris
  `* Re: on writing subject linesJulieta Shem
   `* Re: on writing subject linesGrant Taylor
    `* Re: on writing subject linesJulieta Shem
     +* Re: on writing subject linesScott Lurndal
     |`- Re: on writing subject linesGrant Taylor
     +* Re: on writing subject linesGrant Taylor
     |`* Re: on writing subject linesJulieta Shem
     | `- Re: on writing subject linesJulio Di Egidio
     +- Re: on writing subject linesDan Purgert
     +- Re: on writing subject linesKeith Thompson
     `* Re: on writing subject linesJan van den Broek
      `- Re: on writing subject linesJulio Di Egidio

Pages:123
Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))

<fVDKthnhfJ8657wgg@bongo-ra.co>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2936&group=comp.misc#2936

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Subject: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 12:22:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 12:22 UTC

Note first that this is a continuation of a thread on comp.lang.c
which I'm crossposting to comp.misc for good reasons I will explain
below.

On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 00:12:21 -0400
James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On 9/7/23 22:09, candy wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Sep 2023 16:00:02 +0200, David Brown wrote:
> >> Then I strongly recommend you get a newsreader - it makes Usenet much
> >> nicer. If you don't have any preference or thoughts, then Thunderbird
> >> is a reasonable starting point that many people use, and which works
> >> fine on Windows, Linux, and other *nix. There are of course many other
> >> newsreaders available. Make a free account at
> >> news.eternal-september.org. Again, there are other Usenet servers, but
> >> that one is free and popular.

Or , even better , have a read in the recent "Free News Servers Listing"
thread on news.admin.peering .For one thing , one should have a plan B
(consider the recent disappearance of AIOE) and , second , it's best if
the load is spread among various servers , especially if we're talking
about free ones where the service is just a labour of love.

> >> All this will make your posts fit far better with other posts and
> >> threads, and make it a lot easier for others to see where your posts fit
> >> in. That in turn makes the whole experience better for you.
> >
> > Ok I installed pan. How do I block all the spam??

The right place to ask such questions is news.software.readers .But I'm not
crossposting there because the thread would start getting chaotic. I am
crossposting on comp.misc because there are at least 2 related ongoing
threads at present. Really , people should explore every now and again beyond
their normal newsgroups just to see what's available and what's on topic
where. With that in mind , I'm not even going to mention specific thread
subjects , just pay (for comp.lang.c people) a visit to comp.misc and the
relevant threads will be instantly obvious. People on comp.misc don't bite ,
I promise.

> With difficulty. :-(

I believe the simplest algorithm is to filter all googlegroup posts (possibly
just for comp.lang.c) and then have a whitelist for legitimate posters. If a
newsreader makes this difficult then one needs to get a better newsreader.

> Spam on this newsgroup is at an all-time high, and oddly enough, the
> vast majority of it seems to involve apparently illegal commerce, which
> I would expect to draw the attention of law enforcement.

Yes , this seems a bit strange but I'm guessing that it's very hard for law
enforcement to find where the spam comes from and they may not even have
jurisdiction. Note also that the seriousness of the crime(s) involved depends
on whether what's advertised is actually available for sale. If it isn't then
the potential crime may be just a scam or just spam instead of drugs
trafficking. It could be that a malfunctioning script forgotten by humans is
responsible for the spam.

> It is getting
> through both eternal-september's filters, and Google's.

I don't think that Google applies any filters for usenet.

> I've created a
> Mozilla Thunderbird filter that catches about two dozen different common
> phrases, which seems to catch most of them. I'm resisting adding
> "chocolate bar" to the list - I might very well want to read a message
> about chocolate bars.
> I'm afraid that unless somebody figures out a way to put the people who
> are doing this in jail, this might be the beginning of the end for
> comp.lang.c, and if it spreads to other newsgroups, the end for usenet
> newsgroups.

You are being melodramatic. Spam comes and goes. I actually started a thread
a while ago to comment on the fact that the choice of groups to spam doesn't
seem to follow rhyme or reason. Noone had any convincing theories but the
discussion was interesting. The thread is

Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: A bizarre case of spam
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 20:01:10 GMT

The recent spam on comp.lang.c is easy to filter , hardly anything which
will bring about the end of the group. For a healthy usenet a good advice is
"people should explore every now and again beyond their normal newsgroups
just to see what's available and what's on topic where". On topic posts in as
many groups as possible (instead of throwing everything in whatever group(s)
one is used to) is the best way to preserve usenet. Around such lines , there
was an increase recently in posts about chatbots (including on comp.lang.c)
but hardly anything was (cross)posted on comp.ai.shells which again exists
for this very topic.

Finally (for comp.lang.c only) , I find even more annoying than the spam
the fact that people don't choose an appropriate Subject: for their posts.
Naming a thread "bart again (UCX64)" is a poor choice anyway but it
contains a long subthread on whether the closing brace of a function is
reachable and whether a compiler should give a warning. It would certainly
help if posts relevant to this reflected it in the Subject: .There was
another recent very long thread ("C vs Haskell for XML parsing") which
touched on a variety of topics including whether C should support named
arguments for functions. Again it would have helped if the various posts had
an appropriate Subject: line to reflect what the post is about instead of
keeping the original Subject: of the thread.

--
Something to offend the entire family
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4476203/

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))

<slrnufm8l4.f45.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2937&group=comp.misc#2937

Followup: comp.misc
From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:32:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:32 UTC

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.c.]
On 2023-09-08, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

> [...] People on comp.misc don't bite , I promise.

.... much ;)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))

<udf802$3fg23$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2938&group=comp.misc#2938

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 08:36:02 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 13:36 UTC

On 9/8/23 08:32, Dan Purgert wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.c.]
> On 2023-09-08, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>>
>> [...] People on comp.misc don't bite , I promise.
>
> ... much ;)

Oh no!

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))

<slrnufmal8.f45.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2939&group=comp.misc#2939

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 14:06:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 14:06 UTC

On 2023-09-08, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 9/8/23 08:32, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.c.]
>> On 2023-09-08, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
>>>
>>> [...] People on comp.misc don't bite , I promise.
>>
>> ... much ;)
>>

> Oh no!

Se you posted that with tbird. Did you give up on that BBS-as-usenet
client?

--
|_|O|_|

How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)

<1qgqwud.1qo1i9s1j1n0cnN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2942&group=comp.misc#2942

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Subject: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 15:50:52 +0100
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 14:50 UTC

Spiros Bousbouras <spibou@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Finally (for comp.lang.c only) , I find even more annoying than the spam
> the fact that people don't choose an appropriate Subject: for their posts.
> Naming a thread "bart again (UCX64)" is a poor choice anyway but it
> contains a long subthread on whether the closing brace of a function is
> reachable and whether a compiler should give a warning. It would certainly
> help if posts relevant to this reflected it in the Subject: .There was
> another recent very long thread ("C vs Haskell for XML parsing") which
> touched on a variety of topics including whether C should support named
> arguments for functions. Again it would have helped if the various posts had
> an appropriate Subject: line to reflect what the post is about instead of
> keeping the original Subject: of the thread.

At the risk of teaching Granny to suck eggs, the way to change the
Subject of a Usenet thread is like this:

New Subject (Was: Old Subject)

This will cause competent User Agents to automatically discard the
(Was: Old Subject) part of the header when following up but maintain
continuity of Subject in the thread list. I have changed the Subject of
this post as an example.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)

<udgal6$3o6jv$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2944&group=comp.misc#2944

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Subject: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: Recent
spam on comp.lang.c)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 18:27:34 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 23:27 UTC

On 9/8/23 09:50, Sn!pe wrote:

> New Subject (Was: Old Subject)
>
> This will cause competent User Agents to automatically discard the
> (Was: Old Subject) part of the header when following up but maintain
> continuity of Subject in the thread list. I have changed the Subject of
> this post as an example.

Thanks for the tip!
Thunderbird still shows the Was: when opening the message.

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))

<udgaul$3o6jv$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2945&group=comp.misc#2945

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 18:32:37 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 23:32 UTC

On 9/8/23 09:06, Dan Purgert wrote:
> Se you posted that with tbird. Did you give up on that BBS-as-usenet
> client?

Ye, I didn't know where to find a Usenet server. Tbird just looks nicer ^^

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article (Was: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c)

<20230908200941.933@kylheku.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2949&group=comp.misc#2949

From: 864-117-...@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
spam on comp.lang.c)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 03:16:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 03:16 UTC

On 2023-09-08, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> This will cause competent User Agents to automatically discard the
> (Was: Old Subject) part of the header when following up but maintain
> continuity of Subject in the thread list.

Preesumably MacSoup (evidently the name of your user agent) does this?

Slrn isn't doing it; see Subject line. The (Was: ...) is intact.

Is there an RFC for this? I have the slrn code in a buildable state,
so I will take look if it's mentioned in the code anywhere.

In my opinion, if user agents were truly competent, then this entire
dance with (Was: ...) would be unnecessary.

It should be a feature of the user agent's display that when
a parent article P is available and has subject line X, and
a child article C has subject line Y, the agent itself should
display C's subject line as, perhaps:

Subject: Y
[Changed from: X]

or something similar.

Competence means doing something better in the UI with the available
data, produced by natural behavior, such as changing the subject without
mentioning the old subject in the subject line.

If the users have to obey some convention to produce data, that is not
really competent. Users won't.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca
NOTE: If you use Google Groups, I don't see you, unless you're whitelisted.

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c

<1qgsax5.1tc7g4jo3jomgN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2952&group=comp.misc#2952

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 09:42:51 +0100
This article may be reproduced for the purposes of propagation and
personal use only, no commercial use without express permission.
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 08:42 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

> On 9/8/23 09:06, Dan Purgert wrote:
> > Se you posted that with tbird. Did you give up on that BBS-as-usenet
> > client?
> >

> Ye, I didn't know where to find a Usenet server. Tbird just looks nicer ^^

It certainly looks much nicer here!

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<1qgsazz.1krmz46rq76noN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2953&group=comp.misc#2953

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Subject: Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 09:57:12 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 08:57 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

> On 9/8/23 09:50, Sn!pe wrote:
>
> > New Subject (Was: Old Subject)
> >
> > This will cause competent User Agents to automatically discard the
> > (Was: Old Subject) part of the header when following up but maintain
> > continuity of Subject in the thread list. I have changed the Subject of
> > this post as an example.
> >

> Thanks for the tip!
> Thunderbird still shows the Was: when opening the message.

T'Bird is an emailer with News bolted on as an afterthought, it isn't
always standards-compliant. If you check the Subject now you'll see
that my 'reader, MacSOUP, has truncated it as it should.

This is not to say that T'Bird is no good as a Newsreader, but there are
better ones.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<1qgsbdu.bl5ryh9zaerrN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2954&group=comp.misc#2954

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 09:57:12 +0100

Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:

> On 2023-09-08, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This will cause competent User Agents to automatically discard the
> > (Was: Old Subject) part of the header when following up but maintain
> > continuity of Subject in the thread list.
>
> Preesumably MacSoup (evidently the name of your user agent) does this?

See my adjacent reply to candycane.

> Slrn isn't doing it; see Subject line. The (Was: ...) is intact.
>
> Is there an RFC for this

I'm sure there is but don't ask me which one.

> I have the slrn code in a buildable state,
> so I will take look if it's mentioned in the code anywhere.
>
> In my opinion, if user agents were truly competent, then this entire
> dance with (Was: ...) would be unnecessary.
>
> It should be a feature of the user agent's display that when
> a parent article P is available and has subject line X, and
> a child article C has subject line Y, the agent itself should
> display C's subject line as, perhaps:
>
> Subject: Y
> [Changed from: X]
>
> or something similar.
>
> Competence means doing something better in the UI with the available
> data, produced by natural behavior, such as changing the subject without
> mentioning the old subject in the subject line.
>
> If the users have to obey some convention to produce data, that is not
> really competent. Users won't.

This is more like failure to use your car's turn indicators when making
a lane change.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c (was Re: bart again (UCX64))

<20230909135434.95fd4170810ecc32ba65b704@gmail.moc>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2955&group=comp.misc#2955

From: anton....@gmail.moc (Anton Shepelev)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 13:54:34 +0300
 by: Anton Shepelev - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 10:54 UTC

candycanearter07:

> Tbird just looks nicer

If you care, try any GNKSA-compliant[1] newsreader. If you
are on Windows, I personally recommend XNews:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/

This being an old program, Windows might blur its windows
using the ugly high-DPI upscaling mechanism, which should be
turned off for XNews in the label properties or manifest
file.

`slrn' is a cross-platform text-mode newsreader, works on
Windows:
https://www.slrn.org/
____________________
1. https://web.archive.org/web/20160417105503/http://www.gnksa.org/gnksa.txt

/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c

<1qgsh9a.vpan23c19wbbN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2957&group=comp.misc#2957

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 12:10:48 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 11:10 UTC

Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.moc> wrote:

> candycanearter07:
>
> > Tbird just looks nicer
>
> If you care, try any GNKSA-compliant[1] newsreader. If you
> are on Windows, I personally recommend XNews:
>
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/>

Many Newsreaders have been abandoned by their authors, but Gravity
is a Windows GUI 'reader still being actively supported. Find it here:

<https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm>

> This being an old program, Windows might blur its windows
> using the ugly high-DPI upscaling mechanism, which should be
> turned off for XNews in the label properties or manifest
> file.
>
> `slrn' is a cross-platform text-mode newsreader, works on
> Windows:
> https://www.slrn.org/
> ____________________
> 1. https://web.archive.org/web/20160417105503/http://www.gnksa.org/gnksa.txt

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<20230909080901.35@kylheku.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2960&group=comp.misc#2960

From: 864-117-...@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:10:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Kaz Kylheku - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:10 UTC

On 2023-09-09, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is more like failure to use your car's turn indicators when making
> a lane change.

Okay, sure, and so then to continue with the analogy, you're saying that
a competently implemented car will turn off someone else's turn signal
when it's no longer necessary. Or react to turn signals in some other way.

Mastodon: @Kazinator@mstdn.ca
NOTE: If you use Google Groups, I don't see you, unless you're whitelisted.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<1qgst9q.1qdquitqya2f3N%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2961&group=comp.misc#2961

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:26:37 +0100
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:26 UTC

Kaz Kylheku <864-117-4973@kylheku.com> wrote:

> On 2023-09-09, Sn!pe <snipeco.2@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > This is more like failure to use your car's turn indicators when making
> > a lane change.
> >

> Okay, sure, and so then to continue with the analogy, you're saying that
> a competently implemented car will turn off someone else's turn signal
> when it's no longer necessary. Or react to turn signals in some other way.

The change of Subject: is an invitation, not an order; it's like setting
a Followup-To: a different group. It's open to the responder to change
any header that they wish.

An analogy can be pushed too far; fun as it is, I think this diversion
has run its course.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<udim22$74l3$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2963&group=comp.misc#2963

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:54:26 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 20:54 UTC

On 9/9/23 03:57, Sn!pe wrote:
> This is not to say that T'Bird is no good as a Newsreader, but there are
> better ones.

It's hard to find one for Linux that I can find in the aur and also has
offline reading mode. Pan doesn't have any option to download all unread
messages from what I know.

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c

<udimlq$74l3$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2964&group=comp.misc#2964

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:04:58 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:04 UTC

On 9/9/23 06:10, Sn!pe wrote:
> Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.moc> wrote:
>
>> candycanearter07:
>>
>>> Tbird just looks nicer
>>
>> If you care, try any GNKSA-compliant[1] newsreader. If you
>> are on Windows, I personally recommend XNews:
>>
>> <https://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/>
>

> Many Newsreaders have been abandoned by their authors, but Gravity
> is a Windows GUI 'reader still being actively supported. Find it here:
>
> <https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm>
>

>> This being an old program, Windows might blur its windows
>> using the ugly high-DPI upscaling mechanism, which should be
>> turned off for XNews in the label properties or manifest
>> file.
>>
>> `slrn' is a cross-platform text-mode newsreader, works on
>> Windows:
>> https://www.slrn.org/
>> ____________________
>> 1. https://web.archive.org/web/20160417105503/http://www.gnksa.org/gnksa.txt

I'm on Linux, but thanks. I'll check out slrn.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<87msxvkqbg.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2966&group=comp.misc#2966

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 22:08:19 +0100
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:08 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> writes:

> On 9/9/23 03:57, Sn!pe wrote:
>> This is not to say that T'Bird is no good as a Newsreader, but there are
>> better ones.
>
> It's hard to find one for Linux that I can find in the aur and also has
> offline reading mode. Pan doesn't have any option to download all unread
> messages from what I know.

Pan claims to support offline reading. And Gnus certainly does. The
trouble with Gnus, though, is that if you are not already steeped in
Emacs, it might hard to get to grips with.

--
Ben.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<udinef$74l3$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=comp.misc#2967

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:18:07 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:18 UTC

On 9/9/23 16:08, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Pan claims to support offline reading. And Gnus certainly does. The
> trouble with Gnus, though, is that if you are not already steeped in
> Emacs, it might hard to get to grips with.

Claims. All it does is puts the message requests into the queue for when
you go back online.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<udio1b$7f32$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2968&group=comp.misc#2968

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:28:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:28 UTC

In comp.misc candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 9/9/23 03:57, Sn!pe wrote:
>> This is not to say that T'Bird is no good as a Newsreader, but there are
>> better ones.
>
> It's hard to find one for Linux that I can find in the aur and also has
> offline reading mode. Pan doesn't have any option to download all unread
> messages from what I know.

From the Linux perspective, that is out of scope for a newsreader.
Offline read/write mode is done with, as one option,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafnode. Then you still use whatever
newsreader you like, but can do so offline as well.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<udio44$74l3$6@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2969&group=comp.misc#2969

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:29:40 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:29 UTC

On 9/9/23 16:28, Rich wrote:
> From the Linux perspective, that is out of scope for a newsreader.
> Offline read/write mode is done with, as one option,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafnode. Then you still use whatever
> newsreader you like, but can do so offline as well.

Ohhh, thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Re: Recent spam on comp.lang.c

<1qgtaji.qquihp107q9khN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2970&group=comp.misc#2970

From: snipec...@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 22:33:45 +0100
References: <87h6o63g31.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com> <3607596852@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> <udcl13$30q7k$1@dont-email.me> <uddvnt$3a9si$1@dont-email.me> <ude6v5$3av40$2@dont-email.me> <fVDKthnhfJ8657wgg@bongo-ra.co> <slrnufm8l4.f45.dan@djph.net> <udf802$3fg23$1@dont-email.me> <slrnufmal8.f45.dan@djph.net> <udgaul$3o6jv$3@dont-email.me> <20230909135434.95fd4170810ecc32ba65b704@gmail.moc> <1qgsh9a.vpan23c19wbbN%snipeco.2@gmail.com> <udimlq$74l3$4@dont-email.me>
 by: Sn!pe - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:33 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

> On 9/9/23 06:10, Sn!pe wrote:
> > Anton Shepelev <anton.txt@gmail.moc> wrote:
> >
> >> candycanearter07:

> >> If you care, try any GNKSA-compliant[1] newsreader. If you
> >> are on Windows, I personally recommend XNews:
> >>
> >> <https://web.archive.org/web/20141227184804/http://xnews.newsguy.com/>
> >

> > Many Newsreaders have been abandoned by their authors, but Gravity
> > is a Windows GUI 'reader still being actively supported. Find it here:
> >
> > <https://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm>
> >

> >> This being an old program, Windows might blur its windows
> >> using the ugly high-DPI upscaling mechanism, which should be
> >> turned off for XNews in the label properties or manifest
> >> file.
> >>
> >> `slrn' is a cross-platform text-mode newsreader, works on
> >> Windows:
> >> https://www.slrn.org/
> >> ____________________
> >> <1.
> >> <https://web.archive.org/web/20160417105503/http://www.gnksa.org/gnksa.txt>
> >

> I'm on Linux, but thanks. I'll check out slrn.

Pan is often the GUI choice for Linux users.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<87bkebko0u.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2971&group=comp.misc#2971

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 22:57:53 +0100
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:57 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> writes:

> On 9/9/23 16:08, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>> Pan claims to support offline reading. And Gnus certainly does. The
>> trouble with Gnus, though, is that if you are not already steeped in
>> Emacs, it might hard to get to grips with.
>
> Claims. All it does is puts the message requests into the queue for when
> you go back online.

I installed it, connected to ES, subscribed to comp.lang.c, loaded two
days of headers, turned off threading, selected all of them and chose
"Save Articles...". After closing pan and turning off my net access I
was able to run pan and read this thread offline (I turned threading
back on). Is that what you mean by offline reading?

I turned threading off and on because I could not immediately see how to
select all messages rather than just the head messages show in the
header pane.

--
Ben.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<udiqp1$7pd3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2972&group=comp.misc#2972

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 17:14:57 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 22:14 UTC

On 9/9/23 16:57, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> I installed it, connected to ES, subscribed to comp.lang.c, loaded two
> days of headers, turned off threading, selected all of them and chose
> "Save Articles...". After closing pan and turning off my net access I
> was able to run pan and read this thread offline (I turned threading
> back on). Is that what you mean by offline reading?
>
> I turned threading off and on because I could not immediately see how to
> select all messages rather than just the head messages show in the
> header pane.

It would take a while to select all and hit save on everything manually
if you're in a bunch of newsgroups.

Re: How to change the Subject of a Usenet article

<87zg1vj7na.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2973&group=comp.misc#2973

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben Bacarisse)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 23:36:57 +0100
<3607596852@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> <udcl13$30q7k$1@dont-email.me>
<uddvnt$3a9si$1@dont-email.me> <ude6v5$3av40$2@dont-email.me>
<fVDKthnhfJ8657wgg@bongo-ra.co>
<1qgqwud.1qo1i9s1j1n0cnN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>
<udgal6$3o6jv$2@dont-email.me>
<1qgsazz.1krmz46rq76noN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>
<udim22$74l3$2@dont-email.me> <87msxvkqbg.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<udinef$74l3$5@dont-email.me> <87bkebko0u.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
<udiqp1$7pd3$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Ben Bacarisse - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 22:36 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> writes:

> On 9/9/23 16:57, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>> I installed it, connected to ES, subscribed to comp.lang.c, loaded two
>> days of headers, turned off threading, selected all of them and chose
>> "Save Articles...". After closing pan and turning off my net access I
>> was able to run pan and read this thread offline (I turned threading
>> back on). Is that what you mean by offline reading?
>> I turned threading off and on because I could not immediately see how to
>> select all messages rather than just the head messages show in the
>> header pane.
>
> It would take a while to select all and hit save on everything manually if
> you're in a bunch of newsgroups.

Looking at the menus I see that after clicking on a group you hit Ctrl-D
D Shift-S. There may be a way to do more that one group at a time.

But I am not advocating you use it; after all, I don't. I just didn't
like the implication that the documentation was not truthful. You can
read offline. It doesn't say you can do so effortlessly or even
conveniently!

--
Ben.