Whenever people agree with me, I always think I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

SubjectAuthor
* The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search historNewsKrawler
+* Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutesJoerg Lorenz
|`- Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search hiJ. P. Gilliver (John)
`* Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search hinospam
 `* Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search hiNewsKrawler
  `* Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search hinospam
   `- Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutesJoerg Lorenz

1
The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

<t14lfs$24ocq$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29412&group=comp.mobile.android#29412

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:23:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:23 UTC

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/18/22985668/google-android-app-delete-last-15-minutes-search-history
The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search
history

Google also offers a tool to automatically delete things in your search
history that are three, 18, or 36 months old.

Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

<t14n7n$41n$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29413&group=comp.mobile.android#29413

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes
of search history
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:52:54 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 13:52 UTC

Am 19.03.22 um 14:23 schrieb NewsKrawler:
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/18/22985668/google-android-app-delete-last-15-minutes-search-history
> The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search
> history
>
> Google also offers a tool to automatically delete things in your search
> history that are three, 18, or 36 months old.

I'm deeply impressed.

I only use apps that irrevocably delete everything when closed. History,
cache, cookies, website data, connections simply everything without any
intervention.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

<190320221018304831%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29414&group=comp.mobile.android#29414

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:18:30 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:18 UTC

In article <t14lfs$24ocq$1@paganini.bofh.team>, NewsKrawler
<newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:

> https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/18/22985668/google-android-app-delete-last-15-
> minutes-search-history
> The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search
> history

big deal. 15 minutes is plenty of time to use it to further build your
social graph, so while the history itself may be gone, the analysis of
it remains.

> Google also offers a tool to automatically delete things in your search
> history that are three, 18, or 36 months old.

it's very stale by then.

Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

<t14p2b$if7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29415&group=comp.mobile.android#29415

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:24:14 +0000
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:24 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 13:52:54, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
(my responses usually follow points raised):
> I only use apps that irrevocably delete everything when closed. History,
> cache, cookies, website data, connections simply everything without any
> intervention.

When is the last time you looked at your Android Firebase indexed history?

Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

<t14phq$25abn$1@paganini.bofh.team>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29416&group=comp.mobile.android#29416

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:32:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:32 UTC

On 2022-03-19, nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> big deal.

It was said to be a big deal when Google gave it to iOS late last summer.

https://www.macworld.com/article/351459/google-search-history-iphone-ios-app-how-to-delete-15-minutes.html
How to quickly delete the last 15 minutes of search history on your iPhone

Even if you're not using the app to browse, your Safari, Chrome, or Firefox
search results will be synced (provided you're signed into your Google
account and already syncing your web activity). So after your browsing
sessions, you only need to visit the app and follow these steps to quickly
delete that last 15 minutes.

Tap your account icon in the top right corner.
In the list of options, tap Delete last 15 mins.
If you change your mind, you'll be able to tap Undo in the box that appears.

Changes won't be immediate and could take a few minutes to show depending on
the browser you're using and how fast everything syncs.

This will only delete your searches, however, and won't scrub sites that you
visited.

For that, you'll need to go into your browser's search history and delete
individual results.

You can also opt to automatically delete all of your web activity after
three months, 18 months, or 36 months. To do that, tap the Search history
button in your account, then Auto-delete, and finally, choose options your
want in the Auto-delete activity older than drop-down menu.

And as always, you should use Incognito or Private mode if you want to keep
all of your browsing history hidden.

Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

<190320221109590128%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29417&group=comp.mobile.android#29417

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:09:59 -0400
 by: nospam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:09 UTC

In article <t14phq$25abn$1@paganini.bofh.team>, NewsKrawler
<newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:

> > big deal.
>
> It was said to be a big deal when Google gave it to iOS late last summer.

by the same people who don't understand how data mining works.

you snipped where i said that google has already aggregated the
relevant data, and deleting it does not affect that.

> And as always, you should use Incognito or Private mode if you want to keep
> all of your browsing history hidden.

that only affects your own browser.

it does *not* affect the web sites you visit, google (if used for
search), facebook (for sites with tracking pixels), your isp, etc., all
of whom track what you do.

if you use a vpn, replace isp with vpn. your isp won't known (other
than a vpn is in use), but your vpn will. some vpns claim to not log,
but you have to take them at their word. also, not all logging is the
same. some log connections so that they know how many devices are
connected, for example.

Re: The Google app will now allow you to delete the last 15 minutes of search history

<t153t9$o2h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29422&group=comp.mobile.android#29422

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
of search history
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 18:29:13 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:29 UTC

Am 19.03.22 um 16:09 schrieb nospam:
> In article <t14phq$25abn$1@paganini.bofh.team>, NewsKrawler
> <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:
>

>>> big deal.
>>
>> It was said to be a big deal when Google gave it to iOS late last summer.
>
> by the same people who don't understand how data mining works.
>
> you snipped where i said that google has already aggregated the
> relevant data, and deleting it does not affect that.
>

>> And as always, you should use Incognito or Private mode if you want to keep
>> all of your browsing history hidden.
>
> that only affects your own browser.
>
> it does *not* affect the web sites you visit, google (if used for
> search), facebook (for sites with tracking pixels), your isp, etc., all
> of whom track what you do.

There are solutions for this. Use Firefox with NoScript and uBlock Orgin
on your Android. There are some more steps that help stop tracking and
analysing.

Orfox also helps.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum