Whoa...I did a 'zcat /vmlinuz > /dev/audio' and I think I heard God... -- mikecd on #Linux

computers / comp.misc / Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

SubjectAuthor
* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixcandycane
+* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyDan Purgert
|`* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixSpiros Bousbouras
| `- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyDan Purgert
`* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixscott
 `* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlycandycanearter07
  `* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixRich
   +* Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenixyeti
   |`- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlycandycanearter07
   `- Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-onlyrdh

1
Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<1531475146@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2929&group=comp.misc#2929

From: candyc...@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet (candycane)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 18:29:29 +1300
 by: candycane - Thu, 7 Sep 2023 05:29 UTC

-=> Dan Purgert wrote to candycane <=-

DP> On 2023-09-05, candycane wrote:
> DP> It would certainly be amusing to see though.
>
> Especially if it was set up to post in Usenet as a user.

DP> That was the idea.

DP> Also, your newsagent is breaking references.

References?

DP> --
|_|O|_|

DP> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
DP> * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)

---------------

.... Read messages, not taglines.
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<slrnuflldg.f45.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2933&group=comp.misc#2933

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Subject: Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only
phoenix
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 08:03:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 08:03 UTC

On 2023-09-07, candycane wrote:
> -=> Dan Purgert wrote to candycane <=-
> DP> Also, your newsagent is breaking references.
>
> References?

Part of the Usenet post header information that allows for proper
threading. For example, this message references your message
<1531475146@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>; and as such, will include a header to
the effect of:

If your client didn't break them, it'd end up being a comma-separated
list of all the messages making up an entire thread, so that you can
walk backwards up the chain.

--
|_|O|_|

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<o=IMAh4mT4I2aZ9zP@bongo-ra.co>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2934&group=comp.misc#2934

From: spi...@gmail.com (Spiros Bousbouras)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:12:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Spiros Bousbouras - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:12 UTC

On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 08:03:43 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> On 2023-09-07, candycane wrote:
> > -=> Dan Purgert wrote to candycane <=-
> > DP> Also, your newsagent is breaking references.
> >
> > References?
>
> Part of the Usenet post header information that allows for proper
> threading. For example, this message references your message
> <1531475146@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>; and as such, will include a header to
> the effect of:
>

> If your client didn't break them, it'd end up being a comma-separated
> list of all the messages making up an entire thread, so that you can
> walk backwards up the chain.

Whitespace separated , not comma separated.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<slrnufm0lh.f45.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2935&group=comp.misc#2935

From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:15:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 11:15 UTC

On 2023-09-08, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 08:03:43 -0000 (UTC)
> Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
>> On 2023-09-07, candycane wrote:
>> > -=> Dan Purgert wrote to candycane <=-
>> >
>> > References?
>>
>> Part of the Usenet post header information that allows for proper
>> threading. For example, this message references your message
>> <1531475146@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet>; and as such, will include a header to
>> the effect of:
>>

>> If your client didn't break them, it'd end up being a comma-separated
>> list of all the messages making up an entire thread, so that you can
>> walk backwards up the chain.
>
> Whitespace separated , not comma separated.

Drat. See kids, this is why we don't use memory to quote specifications
before coffee :)

--
|_|O|_|

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<lEIKM.585771$Fgta.181666@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2943&group=comp.misc#2943

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.ip.linodeusercontent.com>
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2023 17:14:57 GMT
 by: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 17:14 UTC

candycane <candycane@f172.n1.z21.fsxnet> wrote:
> -=> Dan Purgert wrote to candycane <=-
>
> DP> On 2023-09-05, candycane wrote:
> > DP> It would certainly be amusing to see though.
> >
> > Especially if it was set up to post in Usenet as a user.
>
> DP> That was the idea.
>
> DP> Also, your newsagent is breaking references.
>
> References?

There should be a References header line that holds the message IDs of the
message to which you replied and the message before that, etc., forming a
chain from the OP to your post. Your Fidonet gateway is broken.

Also, initials before the ">" in quotes are unnecessary. I recall they were
common on Fidonet, but they're out of place here.

The last incarnation of the BBS I ran up until about 1994 ran on an early
version of Linux, with a simple menu system calling out to a news reader, a
mail reader, etc. serving as the shell for most users. I was connected to
the local Fidonet net (I think that's the term...it's been nearly 30 years),
which had a Usenet gateway. I set up a news server and found a way to get
selected newsgroups and Fidonet echoes to populate it. I tracked down the
first post I made to comp.sys.apple2 from it:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.apple2/c/auyZidynUf4/m/BzptdoeXOS8J

1:209/263 was known to the Internet as skunkworks.genesplicer.org by the
time I got the setup dialed in:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.apple2/c/1NqfQRtcZyI/m/AD51-AaQW1AJ

Google won't show me the headers, though, so I can't confirm that it handled
the References header properly...but I suspect it did.

Proper gatewaying between Usenet and Fidonet is possible...but it's clear
that your (or your net's) system is failing badly at it.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<udgb2d$3obdi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2946&group=comp.misc#2946

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2023 18:34:37 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 8 Sep 2023 23:34 UTC

On 9/8/23 12:14, scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us wrote:

> Proper gatewaying between Usenet and Fidonet is possible...but it's clear
> that your (or your net's) system is failing badly at it.

I'm pretty sure the issue was that the server gives you a blank message
by default and has a quote menu to add lines from the original. I didn't
realize you had to select the header lines.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<udgujh$3udev$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2950&group=comp.misc#2950

From: ric...@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 05:08:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 05:08 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
> On 9/8/23 12:14, scott@alfter.diespammersdie.us wrote:
>
>> Proper gatewaying between Usenet and Fidonet is possible...but it's
>> clear that your (or your net's) system is failing badly at it.
>
> I'm pretty sure the issue was that the server gives you a blank
> message by default and has a quote menu to add lines from the
> original. I didn't realize you had to select the header lines.

Real newsreaders handle the NNTP message format for you behind the
scenes so you don't have to concern yourself with those items.
Typically you get your editor pre-loaded with quoted text from the
article and you enter your responses (and clip out parts that no longer
need to remain).

But the message headers are handled by the newsreader. Most give you
the ability to modify them for advanced uses, but beyond those uses
they can simply be ignored and everything works properly.

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<87h6o3j0r5.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2951&group=comp.misc#2951

From: yet...@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 06:53:34 +0000
5-s.cF/5tMdha-:]4eBHC9vBXnz4_aNe@d4oijVyix?>pC=tzuQhoD2A8P02+\xO4gNfRBE
`B<kE3T-Gps_d0_6`+0W3E9{D
 by: yeti - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 06:53 UTC

Rich <rich@example.invalid> writes:

> Real newsreaders handle the NNTP message format for you behind the
> scenes so you don't have to concern yourself with those items.
> Typically you get your editor pre-loaded with quoted text from the
> article and you enter your responses (and clip out parts that no longer
> need to remain).

How many humans does it take to screw up quoting as much as there?

<0cfb88eb-8e8d-482f-b2bb-0ff744c81606n@googlegroups.com>

I'm mentioned in many posts of that thread despite the posts not
containing any text from me any more.

You only survive Usenet with a thick fur and Fido vs Usenet
incompatibilities are on the lower end of the adrenaline generators
hit parade.

Stay ommmmmmPtimistic!

--
|rom The Future. +++ Breaking News From The Future. +++ Breaking News F|
| The USoA are switching to the binary number system because |

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<udimpc$74l4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2965&group=comp.misc#2965

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.misc
phoenix
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 16:06:51 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:06 UTC

On 9/9/23 01:53, yeti wrote:
> You only survive Usenet with a thick fur and Fido vs Usenet
> incompatibilities are on the lower end of the adrenaline generators
> hit parade.
>
> Stay ommmmmmPtimistic!

Wasn't exactly an incompatibility, I was just being dumb ^^

Re: USENET, the OG social network, rises again like a text-only phoenix

<C4HLM.1176633$SuUf.32855@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2981&group=comp.misc#2981

phoenix
Newsgroups: comp.misc
From: rdh...@tilde.institute (rdh)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 11:17:38 -0500
 by: rdh - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:17 UTC

On 9/9/23 00:08, Rich wrote:
> Typically you get your editor pre-loaded with quoted text from the
> article and you enter your responses (and clip out parts that no longer
> need to remain).

That last bit doesn't happen as much as it should.

--
~rdh