From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: OBD-II
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 16:13:35 +0000
References: <t0ns1u$m2s$1@dont-email.me> <slrnt32cbf.i8d.g.kreme@zephyrus.local> <t0rd08$36g$1@dont-email.me> <t0s2uv$amt$1@dont-email.me> <160320220635139648%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0sgkg$grf$1@dont-email.me> <160320220733500622%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t0sibi$ugv$1@dont-email.me> <160320221130291440%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t161i3$egs$1@dont-email.me> <t1770a$d9j$1@dont-email.me> <t17930$nd1$1@dont-email.me> <t17cdj$qri$1@dont-email.me> <t187df$o1h$1@dont-email.me> <t188lo$ia2$1@dont-email.me> <919ubzb0lyvk$.dlg@example1357.net> <t1aiku$kg8$1@dont-email.me> <me5_J.182994$Lbb6.2186@fx45.iad> <t1aqgr$q12$1@dont-email.me> <op.1jex9beudsjozi@pvr2.lan> <t1chku$trf$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 16:13 UTC

sms wrote:

> One nice function of Torque Pro (and presumably other OBD-II apps) is
> that you can set audible alarms so you'd get an alarm when the engine is
> overheating. I think that buying a cheap Android phone just to use as a
> permanently connected OBD-II monitor isn't a bad idea. Torque Pro is
> Android only and it's a lot better than any of the iOS OBD-II apps.

I use an inexpensive OBDII scanner when I need to check diagnostic codes.

However, some people drive around fulltime with the bluetooth OBDII unit
under the dash constantly sending the phone real-time sensor levels such as
RPM and temperature & oxygen sensor readouts both front & back of the cats.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree>

Knowing the iPhone is crippled in almost all ways useful for real-world use,
I first looked for the free ad-free related OBDII bluetooth apps on Android.
<https://play.google.com/store/search?q=obdii%20scanner&c=apps>

Obviously, such graphical debuggers abound for free sans ads on Android.

Then I briefly looked on iOS to see if there were any free ad-free
equivalents, where, in this rare case, they might actually exist for once.
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/obd2-torque-obdii-check-car/id1359567217>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/car-scanner-elm-obd2/id1259933623>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/obd-fusion/id650684932>
<https://apps.apple.com/app/id908897183>

I only glanced at Steve's listing of the OBDII differences between Android &
iOS, but I don't doubt they exist - but I'm not sure if they're substantial
yet since a quick search found similarly named iOS apps that seem to exist.

But bear in mind that similarly named isn't the same thing, such as we find
with "Tor" where Apple doesn't allow any browser sufficient privacy for Tor.

Hence, Steve may know something that my quick search didn't find about the
difference in functionality between graphical iOS & Android OBD debuggers.

On the original topic of wifi scanners, it's telling that the dumbest iOS
iKooks (Alan Baker & Jolly Roger) _still_ don't know the difference between
a megabit and a decibel (even after all these years).

The fact remains Apple's app store has _zero_ graphical wi-fi debuggers.
And the fact remains the app store has _zero_ graphical cellular debuggers.

Why the iKooks think otherwise is due to a confluence of three traits:
a. They are _desperate_ to garner "self esteem" from Apple "superiority"
b. Yet they have too low of an IQ to realize the functionality isn't there
c. Worse, they have no education at all so they fabricate that it exists
--
Note that most of the Android apps are free and ad free while most of the
iOs Apps are not (which is why developers love iOS users because you can't