Phasers locked on target, Captain.

computers / comp.mobile.android / The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

SubjectAuthor
* The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at theJoerg Lorenz
+* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atAndy Burns
|`* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 20Theo
| `- Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atAndy Burns
+* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atRob
|`* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atPiet
| `* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atRob
|  `- Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting downChris
 `* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atJoerg Lorenz
  +- Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 20Andy Burnelli
  `* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting downChris
   +* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atJoerg Lorenz
   |+* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atRob
   ||`* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atsms
   || +- Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atRob
   || `* Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 20Andy Burnelli
   ||  `- Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 20nospam
   |`- Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G atChris
   `- Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 20Andy Burnelli

1
The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1enab$g4j$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29533&group=comp.mobile.android#29533

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the
End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:55:39 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 08:55 UTC

https://www.itmagazine.ch/Artikel/76768/Swisscom_zieht_3G_Ende_2025_den_Stecker.html?utm_source=c36daily

Swisscom pulled the plug on the 2G at the end of 2020 and now the end of
3G is announced for 2025.

Swisscom is the incumbent communication and data service provider in
Switzerland with a market share of 60-65% in mobile communication.

Others in Europe will follow soon.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<ja0892FeadtU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29534&group=comp.mobile.android#29534

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at
the End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:40:49 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 09:40 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> https://www.itmagazine.ch/Artikel/76768/Swisscom_zieht_3G_Ende_2025_den_Stecker.html?utm_source=c36daily
>
> Swisscom pulled the plug on the 2G at the end of 2020 and now the end of
> 3G is announced for 2025.
>
> Swisscom is the incumbent communication and data service provider in
> Switzerland with a market share of 60-65% in mobile communication.
>
> Others in Europe will follow soon.

In the UK, the latest dates for providing 2G and 3G are end of 2033.

Some operators have announced earlier dates for 3G shutdown, but given that new
smart meters are still being installed using 2G, I suspect that will cling on
until the end of 2033.

<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a-joint-statement-on-the-sunsetting-of-2g-and-3g-networks-and-public-ambition-for-open-ran-rollout-as-part-of-the-telecoms-supply-chain-diversificatio>

n.b. there isn't an "n" missing at the end of that URL :-)

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<bwE*KZRJy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29535&group=comp.mobile.android#29535

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025
Date: 23 Mar 2022 10:16:49 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:16 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> In the UK, the latest dates for providing 2G and 3G are end of 2033.
>
> Some operators have announced earlier dates for 3G shutdown, but given that new
> smart meters are still being installed using 2G, I suspect that will cling on
> until the end of 2033.

There's a difference between 2G/3G being available for regular mobile
phones, and being available for special purpose devices on particular M2M
connections. Given spectrum refarming, it's possible to transfer spectrum
from 2G to 4/5G. That leaves a minimal 2G network operational but backed
only by a sliver of spectrum - it would be enough for the smart meters
sending in their readings, but not for a city of people making phone calls.

In that case 2G has been 'shut down' as far as phones go (the network won't
allow them to connect), but there's still a minimalist 2G network available
for M2M connections. I expect that network isn't going anywhere in a hurry.

Theo

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<ja0d7pFf52cU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29536&group=comp.mobile.android#29536

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:05:29 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:05 UTC

Theo wrote:

> it's possible to transfer spectrum from 2G to 4/5G. That leaves a minimal 2G
> network operational but backed only by a sliver of spectrum - it would be
> enough for the smart meters

For smart meters, 2G only needs to stay for O2/Telefonica, and only in Wales and
southern England.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<slrnt3m2eo.prl.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29537&group=comp.mobile.android#29537

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
the End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 12:51:52 +0100
 by: Rob - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:51 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> https://www.itmagazine.ch/Artikel/76768/Swisscom_zieht_3G_Ende_2025_den_Stecker.html?utm_source=c36daily
>
> Swisscom pulled the plug on the 2G at the end of 2020 and now the end of
> 3G is announced for 2025.
>
> Swisscom is the incumbent communication and data service provider in
> Switzerland with a market share of 60-65% in mobile communication.
>
> Others in Europe will follow soon.

I would not call 2025 "near" at this time, especially for things like this.
Every provider has their schedule for this, and here the different
providers turn off the different systems in different sequence.

E.g. one has already turned off 2G but still does 3G, another is now
turning off 3G but provides 2G until mid 2025, etc.

I still have my 2G phone and it works. In 3 years time, I'll look
into it.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1fa69$5vr$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29540&group=comp.mobile.android#29540

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down
3G at the End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:17:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HZEdMhX9bxpUypC4DDwZ/DkLOys=
 by: Chris - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:17 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> https://www.itmagazine.ch/Artikel/76768/Swisscom_zieht_3G_Ende_2025_den_Stecker.html?utm_source=c36daily
>
> Swisscom pulled the plug on the 2G at the end of 2020 and now the end of
> 3G is announced for 2025.
>
> Swisscom is the incumbent communication and data service provider in
> Switzerland with a market share of 60-65% in mobile communication.
>
> Others in Europe will follow soon.

Maybe, maybe not. What switzerland does is rarely copied by other countries
so I doubt it'll start any kind of trend.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1feoj$b6e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29544&group=comp.mobile.android#29544

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 16:35:47 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 15:35 UTC

Am 23.03.22 um 15:17 schrieb Chris:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> https://www.itmagazine.ch/Artikel/76768/Swisscom_zieht_3G_Ende_2025_den_Stecker.html?utm_source=c36daily
>>
>> Swisscom pulled the plug on the 2G at the end of 2020 and now the end of
>> 3G is announced for 2025.
>>
>> Swisscom is the incumbent communication and data service provider in
>> Switzerland with a market share of 60-65% in mobile communication.
>>
>> Others in Europe will follow soon.
>
> Maybe, maybe not. What switzerland does is rarely copied by other countries
> so I doubt it'll start any kind of trend.

Swisscom is most of the time a first or early adopter.
It was the first to rollout 5G and had full coverage of the country
before other European countries even started the roll out. The Swiss
market is very leading because of the very high purchasing power.

To operate 2G when 5G is available is utter nonsense and a political and
not an economic or technical decision. 3G is obsolete since more than 10
years and never was a viable alternative alongside 4G/LTE.

The US and Canada are a developing areas as far as mobile networks are
concerned and a some of the larger European countries are also lagging.
Especially Germany.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1fjnn$1p1a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29552&group=comp.mobile.android#29552

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:00:44 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:00 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

> The US and Canada are a developing areas as far as mobile networks are
> concerned and a some of the larger European countries are also lagging.
> Especially Germany.

Why would you say that with respect to the 3G phaseout in the USA?
The US will phase 3G out by the end of the year, will they not?

See details here:
*Quick summary of 3G status in the USA*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/eqn2CFopivs>

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1fmb9$11sh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29561&group=comp.mobile.android#29561

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:45:17 +0100
 by: Piet - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:45 UTC

Rob wrote:
> I would not call 2025 "near" at this time, especially for things like this.
> Every provider has their schedule for this, and here the different
> providers turn off the different systems in different sequence.
>
> E.g. one has already turned off 2G but still does 3G, another is now
> turning off 3G but provides 2G until mid 2025, etc.
>
> I still have my 2G phone and it works. In 3 years time, I'll look
> into it.

+1

My 2G phone not only will keep working for another 3 years, it has
big advantages, like being small and lightweight, and not prone to
the threats that are a plague for the dumb devices euphemistically
called "smart"phones.

-p

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<slrnt3n4it.a6a.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29573&group=comp.mobile.android#29573

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
the End of 2025
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 22:34:21 +0100
 by: Rob - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 21:34 UTC

Piet <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>> I would not call 2025 "near" at this time, especially for things like this.
>> Every provider has their schedule for this, and here the different
>> providers turn off the different systems in different sequence.
>>
>> E.g. one has already turned off 2G but still does 3G, another is now
>> turning off 3G but provides 2G until mid 2025, etc.
>>
>> I still have my 2G phone and it works. In 3 years time, I'll look
>> into it.
>
> +1
>
> My 2G phone not only will keep working for another 3 years, it has
> big advantages, like being small and lightweight, and not prone to
> the threats that are a plague for the dumb devices euphemistically
> called "smart"phones.

My phone is a Nokia 2630. It is the size of a small chocolate bar
and it runs on its battery for a week when no calls are made.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1h9sv$ft9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29588&group=comp.mobile.android#29588

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
3G at the End of 2025
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:25:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OQAqAmX4DAg5X4tGmj4R1V0TSMw=
 by: Chris - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:25 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 23.03.22 um 15:17 schrieb Chris:
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>> https://www.itmagazine.ch/Artikel/76768/Swisscom_zieht_3G_Ende_2025_den_Stecker.html?utm_source=c36daily
>>>
>>> Swisscom pulled the plug on the 2G at the end of 2020 and now the end of
>>> 3G is announced for 2025.
>>>
>>> Swisscom is the incumbent communication and data service provider in
>>> Switzerland with a market share of 60-65% in mobile communication.
>>>
>>> Others in Europe will follow soon.
>>
>> Maybe, maybe not. What switzerland does is rarely copied by other countries
>> so I doubt it'll start any kind of trend.
>
> Swisscom is most of the time a first or early adopter.
> It was the first to rollout 5G and had full coverage of the country
> before other European countries even started the roll out. The Swiss
> market is very leading because of the very high purchasing power.
>
> To operate 2G when 5G is available is utter nonsense

5G is not available in the majority of places and won't be fit several
years. I live in a city in the UK and it's not available to me. Most people
also don't have compatible phones.

Many legacy devices for safety and security require 2G.

> and a political and
> not an economic or technical decision. 3G is obsolete since more than 10
> years and never was a viable alternative alongside 4G/LTE.
>
> The US and Canada are a developing areas as far as mobile networks are
> concerned and a some of the larger European countries are also lagging.
> Especially Germany.

Exactly a small, densely populated country is not representative.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1hauf$nc7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29589&group=comp.mobile.android#29589

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the End of 2025
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:42:55 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:42 UTC

Am 24.03.22 um 09:25 schrieb Chris:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> To operate 2G when 5G is available is utter nonsense >
> 5G is not available in the majority of places and won't be fit several
> years. I live in a city in the UK and it's not available to me. Most people
> also don't have compatible phones.

As I said. There are markets that are year behind.

> Many legacy devices for safety and security require 2G.

That is simply wrong. And do you really think that Swisscom knows that
less well than you when they shut down 2G two years ago? You are not
serious!

>> and a political and
>> not an economic or technical decision. 3G is obsolete since more than 10
>> years and never was a viable alternative alongside 4G/LTE.
>>
>> The US and Canada are a developing areas as far as mobile networks are
>> concerned and a some of the larger European countries are also lagging.
>> Especially Germany.
>
> Exactly a small, densely populated country is not representative.

Bullshit. Switzerland has the most difficult terrain in the world and
the antennas are only allowed to send with 10% of the power compared to
the UK and the EU.

You prove that you have not really an idea of mobile networks.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1hbme$uda$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29590&group=comp.mobile.android#29590

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:55:48 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:55 UTC

Chris wrote:

> 5G is not available in the majority of places and won't be fit several
> years. I live in a city in the UK and it's not available to me. Most people
> also don't have compatible phones.

All that may be true where Chris lives, but by way of contrast, I live in
the boonies of the Santa Cruz mountains miles away from any tower & 5G feeds
my home and everyone in the USA on my carrier was (and apparently still is)
offered a free 5G phone (I picked up a handful of them myself).

<https://i.postimg.cc/4dDhFK5F/speedtest01.jpg> *125Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/vT68k3BW/speedtest02.jpg> *181Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/pdXF4Mtz/speedtest03.jpg> *125Mbps* to *181Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcsyc4Vn/speedtest04.jpg> *82Mbps* & -88dBM
<https://i.postimg.cc/mggy315q/speedtest05.jpg> *254Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/43KvqkZQ/speedtest06.jpg> *255Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/zf9w1tGZ/speedtest07.jpg> *255Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/Bb3xjjFm/speedtest08.jpg> *255Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/GhZKX0vZ/speedtest09.jpg> *130Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/28yZdQJR/speedtest10.jpg> *81Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/ydnDcxy8/speedtest11.jpg> *79Mbps* to *81Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/5y063Jsq/speedtest12.jpg> *96Mbps* to *109Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/fbNyPmHb/speedtest13.jpg> *109Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/5tSyWyGS/speedtest14.jpg> *88Mbps* to *102Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/C5vgmtRd/speedtest15.jpg> *130Mbps* to *255Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/W3GgYJtZ/speedtest16.jpg> *125Mbps* to *181Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/nVs0Smw8/speedtest17.jpg> *54Mbps*
<https://i.postimg.cc/N0fx62rz/speedtest18.jpg> *60Mbps* & -85dBm

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<slrnt3ohqf.l8.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29591&group=comp.mobile.android#29591

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
the End of 2025
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 11:26:23 +0100
 by: Rob - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:26 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 24.03.22 um 09:25 schrieb Chris:
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>> To operate 2G when 5G is available is utter nonsense >
>> 5G is not available in the majority of places and won't be fit several
>> years. I live in a city in the UK and it's not available to me. Most people
>> also don't have compatible phones.
>
> As I said. There are markets that are year behind.
>
>> Many legacy devices for safety and security require 2G.
>
> That is simply wrong. And do you really think that Swisscom knows that
> less well than you when they shut down 2G two years ago? You are not
> serious!

That will certainly have caused issues. They probably have worked with
their larger customers for M2M and maybe have kept a small 2G network
that you don't know about.

When 2G modem modules became available and providers issued subscription
packages where one would get hundreds or thousands of SIM cards each with
a monthly data bundle of only a megabyte or so at an affordable price,
lots of devices "in the field" were equipped with it, for telemetry,
telecommand, etc.

Those would all have become obsolete when 2G was turned off and that
meant lots of work and cost for the involved parties. At least here it
has lead to prolonged 2G services.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1hsmj$be$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29596&group=comp.mobile.android#29596

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the End of 2025
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 06:45:53 -0700
 by: sms - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:45 UTC

On 3/24/2022 3:26 AM, Rob wrote:

<snip>

> Those would all have become obsolete when 2G was turned off and that
> meant lots of work and cost for the involved parties. At least here it
> has lead to prolonged 2G services.

When AT&T turned off 2G I was working at a place where we had a lot of
2G modems out in the field. A T-Mobile salesperson came by and was
trying to sell us on using their 2G but our devices were mostly in
remote locations where there was not T-Mobile service so it wasn't a
viable thing.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1htdr$656$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29597&group=comp.mobile.android#29597

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the End of 2025
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:58:18 +0000
 by: Chris - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 13:58 UTC

On 24/03/2022 08:42, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 24.03.22 um 09:25 schrieb Chris:
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>>> To operate 2G when 5G is available is utter nonsense >
>> 5G is not available in the majority of places and won't be fit several
>> years. I live in a city in the UK and it's not available to me. Most people
>> also don't have compatible phones.
>
> As I said. There are markets that are year behind.

Ahead or behind is relative. It also won't be driven by external factors.

>> Many legacy devices for safety and security require 2G.
>
> That is simply wrong.

It isn't.

> And do you really think that Swisscom knows that
> less well than you when they shut down 2G two years ago? You are not
> serious!

Youre the one saying what's going on Switzerland is going to europe. It
won't as every country has it's own demands and needs, so the decision
Swisscom made is only relevant to Switzerland.

>>> and a political and
>>> not an economic or technical decision. 3G is obsolete since more than 10
>>> years and never was a viable alternative alongside 4G/LTE.
>>>
>>> The US and Canada are a developing areas as far as mobile networks are
>>> concerned and a some of the larger European countries are also lagging.
>>> Especially Germany.
>>
>> Exactly a small, densely populated country is not representative.
>
> Bullshit. Switzerland has the most difficult terrain in the world and
> the antennas are only allowed to send with 10% of the power compared to
> the UK and the EU.
>
> You prove that you have not really an idea of mobile networks.

You're proving even more that Switzerland is unique.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<slrnt3ov4b.mq8.nomail@xs9.xs4all.nl>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29600&group=comp.mobile.android#29600

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
From: nom...@example.com (Rob)
the End of 2025
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:13:31 +0100
 by: Rob - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:13 UTC

sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 3/24/2022 3:26 AM, Rob wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Those would all have become obsolete when 2G was turned off and that
>> meant lots of work and cost for the involved parties. At least here it
>> has lead to prolonged 2G services.
>
> When AT&T turned off 2G I was working at a place where we had a lot of
> 2G modems out in the field. A T-Mobile salesperson came by and was
> trying to sell us on using their 2G but our devices were mostly in
> remote locations where there was not T-Mobile service so it wasn't a
> viable thing.

Over here it is T-Mobile who have turned off 2G and it is the incumbent
provider (KPN) who still provide it. Vodafone have turned off 3G and
KPN is doing so next week.
Changing to a different provider for this is usually not viable, as that
would mean a visit to all sites to swap SIM cards, and one could swap
the modem module as well, when that is possible with the equipment in use.

Some devices may still use V.110 or V.120 over 2G and changing to 4G+
may not be an option. The whole device may need to be redesigned.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1hvq6$n48$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29601&group=comp.mobile.android#29601

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:39:09 +0000
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:39 UTC

sms wrote:

> there was not T-Mobile service

What is the basis for Steve's personal vindictive hatred of T-Mobile anyway?

Steve lives in Cupertino and I live nearby in the Santa Cruz mountains where
we don't even have cable on our telephone poles, and yet I get great
T-Mobile service (over 5G no less).

Many times I've posted screenshots of actual values while Steve, in a
lack-of-credibility contrast, has only posted his edited lies.

I've had all three carriers and they're about equal in the Silicon Valley.

Why is it that in the Silicon Valley, I find that the Verizon, T-Mobile, and
AT&T signal is just fine - but every single place that Steve (claims he)
goes to, "always" has great Verizon service and lousy T-Mobile service?

Steve even brazenly and openly repeatedly lied about FCC coverage maps,
which he used, for years, to claim Verizon is great & that T-Mobile sucks.

Is it, perhaps, that Steve has a fiduciary agreement with Verizon perhaps?
--
I predict 2, 5, even 10 years from now Steve will be making the same claims.

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<240320221040166396%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29602&group=comp.mobile.android#29602

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:40:16 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:40 UTC

In article <t1hvq6$n48$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Is it, perhaps, that Steve has a fiduciary agreement with Verizon perhaps?

you're only now figuring that out?

Re: The End of 3G-is near in Europe - Swisscom shutting down 3G at the End of 2025

<t1kskv$ie9$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29633&group=comp.mobile.android#29633

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
the End of 2025
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 18:03:27 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:03 UTC

Am 23.03.22 um 22:34 schrieb Rob:
> Piet <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:
>> My 2G phone not only will keep working for another 3 years, it has
>> big advantages, like being small and lightweight, and not prone to
>> the threats that are a plague for the dumb devices euphemistically
>> called "smart"phones.
>
> My phone is a Nokia 2630. It is the size of a small chocolate bar
> and it runs on its battery for a week when no calls are made.

Rob and Piet you are my absolute heros!
BTW: Why are your reading and writing here when you have absolutely no clue?

--
De gustibus non est disputandum