From: pha...@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: second try. It was nine hours "Starting Windows" and still not started.
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:20:51 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 02:20 UTC

Second try - I hit send now the last time

Anyway, I'm running windows 7 pro 64 bit. Usually I shut down by
putting it in Sleep mode. Quick shut down, quick restart in the
morning.
For reasons, I decided to shut the computer down this morning.
Then recalled what it was I had wanted to do, and so, started it up.
Press the On button, and waited. That was close enough to 9 am. It
was taking it's own time, so I got up to make coffee, then we left to
run errands and one thing lead to another and low it is six PM, time
to check a couple items. But Windows is still "starting". Nine hours
later, still "starting windows".
Cycle the BRS interrupt (aka the power switch) on the power strip,
and press start. Well of course, it did not complete Start up the
last time, "run repair"? Yes. Can't fix it, going to the last
restore point. Which was this morning's, as I set a new one right
before I shut it down. Still takes "forever" to recover. (over 25
minutes.)
But up it come, started, the opening window wit my choice of
accounts.

My main question: does anyone have any idea what might be causing
the hang up on a start from a cold boot? Or where to look for any
logs that might document the "failure"?
--
pyotr filipivich
"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious

Re: second try. It was nine hours "Starting Windows" and still not started.

<d4bpngp3ngv2ge9r78posglsi5jqisr60f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2940&group=alt.windows7.general#2940

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 22:25:05 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 02:25 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:20:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich
<phamp@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Second try - I hit send now the last time
>
> Anyway, I'm running windows 7 pro 64 bit. Usually I shut down by
>putting it in Sleep mode. Quick shut down, quick restart in the
>morning.
> For reasons, I decided to shut the computer down this morning.
>Then recalled what it was I had wanted to do, and so, started it up.
>Press the On button, and waited. That was close enough to 9 am. It
>was taking it's own time, so I got up to make coffee, then we left to
>run errands and one thing lead to another and low it is six PM, time
>to check a couple items. But Windows is still "starting". Nine hours
>later, still "starting windows".
> Cycle the BRS interrupt (aka the power switch) on the power strip,
>and press start. Well of course, it did not complete Start up the
>last time, "run repair"? Yes. Can't fix it, going to the last
>restore point. Which was this morning's, as I set a new one right
>before I shut it down. Still takes "forever" to recover. (over 25
>minutes.)
> But up it come, started, the opening window wit my choice of
>accounts.
>
> My main question: does anyone have any idea what might be causing
>the hang up on a start from a cold boot? Or where to look for any
>logs that might document the "failure"?

When I had that it was bad RAM. It is either totally frozen or
miserably slow, like hours to boot.
In my case it was that problem I am having RAM that works in this
Intel board

Re: second try. It was nine hours "Starting Windows" and still not started.

<MPG.3be7205bbf06e6a998fe3e@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2955&group=alt.windows7.general#2955

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2021 10:27:30 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 30 Oct 2021 17:27 UTC

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:20:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:
> Second try - I hit send now the last time

Sorry you're having trouble, and I'll let others more qualified
answer.

But for this sort of thing in future, please post a followup in the
same thread, rather than starting a new thread. The idea is that
there should be one thread for topic, to make things easier on
everyone.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/