From: murph...@remove-this.telecomdigest.net (Sean Murphy)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Verizon's Aging Copper Lines Leave Customers Hung Up With Frustration [telecom]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:49:55 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Sean Murphy - Thu, 10 Feb 2022 13:49 UTC

By FARAH JAVED

Dr. Ida Messana, a Queens internist specializing in geriatric
medicine, started experiencing internet, fax and landline phone issues
in her Forest Hills office last summer and noticed a concerning side
effect.

Many of her elderly patients, who depend on phone calls and faxes, as
opposed to emails and texts, stopped coming because they could not
reach her.

"We lost dial tone on my fax line, so I couldn't receive or send any
faxes. Imagine my patients waiting for their CAT scans, X-rays, their
reports of blood, all different kinds of things," she explained.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/2/3/22915176/verizon-copper-lines-customers-frustration

***** Comment *****

It's nice to see the news media finally taking note of the terrible
costs that copper wires impose on a historic publicly-held
company. The again copper based cables buried beneath the attention
span of legislative bodies all over the country has caused Verizontal
stockholders to support an aging workforce that drags down the
company's modern, forward-looking image with "Get in the truck"
dedication and ever-so-irksome union wages.

Imagine how many "seniors" are unable to use the fax machines that sit
on the shelves in their hallways, directly underneath their
ever-so-relible Western Electric telephones. These old customers and
theier old expectations and their old viewpoints must be swept aside
to make room for the modern, soon-to-be-mandatory fiber-optic cables
and/or "100G" radio-based connections, so that the executives at
Verizontal HQ can watch their Mai Tais being mixed in real time as
they head over for lunch and a few laughs at the public expense.