Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variations

SubjectAuthor
* Keeping threads intact, despite variationsTerry Pinnell
+* Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variationsRalph Fox
|`- Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variationsTerry Pinnell
`* Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variationsCharlie Roberts
 `* Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variationsRalph Fox
  `- Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variationsCharlie Roberts

1
Keeping threads intact, despite variations

<2k4ingt6jbs5olr7o051k8cuu5h8mh2sf2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2956&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2956

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Keeping threads intact, despite variations
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 09:56:33 +0100
 by: Terry Pinnell - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:56 UTC

Is there any way I can get posts like those in my screenshot merged into one
thread? For example, ignore prefixes like 'Forward:' and 'Re:' etc and include
all in a single 'Gear Script help' thread?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/riugv07s26k0rdd/KeepThreadsIntact.jpg?raw=1

Agent 4.2/32

Terry

Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variations

<603jnglfj9ln8qiv5fkdtgve084rdtnhpa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2957&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2957

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variations
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 06:43:59 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:43 UTC

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 09:56:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Is there any way I can get posts like those in my screenshot merged into one
> thread? For example, ignore prefixes like 'Forward:' and 'Re:' etc and include
> all in a single 'Gear Script help' thread?
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/riugv07s26k0rdd/KeepThreadsIntact.jpg?raw=1
>
> Agent 4.2/32

To Agent, the 'Fwd:' and 'Re:' on the first two lines are *not* prefixes
because they are not at the very beginning of the subject line. If you
could get the list to send you emails without the "[OpenSCAD] " at the
beginning, you might have a better chance.

I trust you have already turned off the setting in Agent, "Start a new
thread when a follow-up subject changes".

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variations

<srgtnglusi16u876l5m7p9pnrliqqqnp8m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2958&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2958

From: me...@somewhere.invalid (Terry Pinnell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 16:26:29 +0000
 by: Terry Pinnell - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 16:26 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 09:56:33 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:
>
>> Is there any way I can get posts like those in my screenshot merged into one
>> thread? For example, ignore prefixes like 'Forward:' and 'Re:' etc and include
>> all in a single 'Gear Script help' thread?
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/riugv07s26k0rdd/KeepThreadsIntact.jpg?raw=1
>>
>> Agent 4.2/32
>

>To Agent, the 'Fwd:' and 'Re:' on the first two lines are *not* prefixes
>because they are not at the very beginning of the subject line. If you
>could get the list to send you emails without the "[OpenSCAD] " at the
>beginning, you might have a better chance.
>

>I trust you have already turned off the setting in Agent, "Start a new
>thread when a follow-up subject changes".

Thanks Ralph. Yes, that's off.

Terry

Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variations

<vcl2ogl16g5pp14auaeqinhen4rekuhigt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2959&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2959

From: crobe...@gmail.com (Charlie Roberts)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 11:24:17 -0400
 by: Charlie Roberts - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 15:24 UTC

<me@somewhere.invalid> wrote:

>Is there any way I can get posts like those in my screenshot merged into one
>thread? For example, ignore prefixes like 'Forward:' and 'Re:' etc and include
>all in a single 'Gear Script help' thread?
>
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/riugv07s26k0rdd/KeepThreadsIntact.jpg?raw=1
>
>Agent 4.2/32
>
>Terry

I have a question going the other way!

I sometimes find that Agent (8.0) threads unrelated groups
of posts. Let us take the case of binary groups where a
single large file may be split into sepatre smaller files (RAR
would be just one example). Sometines one of the files in
a group with one Subject is threaded with a file with a
completely different Subject.

Any idea why this happens?

This is a problem when one deletes unwnated posts
without being careful to seee if they carry a threaded
files from another set.

Thanks.

Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variations

<43t2ogpn5mjtajj1684408cbmh1h7nm8sk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2960&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2960

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 06:29:24 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 17:29 UTC

On Tue, 02 Nov 2021 11:24:17 -0400, Charlie Roberts wrote:

> I have a question going the other way!
>
> I sometimes find that Agent (8.0) threads unrelated groups
> of posts. Let us take the case of binary groups where a
> single large file may be split into sepatre smaller files (RAR
> would be just one example). Sometines one of the files in
> a group with one Subject is threaded with a file with a
> completely different Subject.
>
> Any idea why this happens?

See the previous discussions in this group about this:
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/search?q=hash%20collision>

The more headers you have in the group in Agent, the more likely
this is to occur. This message from 1997 has a table showing the
probability of this occurring vs. the number of headers in the group.
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/zzElLwjhaS8/m/nB9Dv1dWJCwJ>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Keeping threads intact, despite variations

<fa85ogdv8vuaaj5s865jsfq2p7d18veskj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2961&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2961

From: crobe...@gmail.com (Charlie Roberts)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 10:50:20 -0400
 by: Charlie Roberts - Wed, 3 Nov 2021 14:50 UTC

On Wed, 03 Nov 2021 06:29:24 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>See the previous discussions in this group about this:
><https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/search?q=hash%20collision>
>
>The more headers you have in the group in Agent, the more likely
>this is to occur. This mess97 has a table showing the
>probability of this occurring vs. the number of headers in the group.
><https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/zzElLwjhaS8/m/nB9Dv1dWJCwJ>
>

>> This is a problem when one deletes unwnated posts
>> without being careful to seee if they carry a threaded
>> files from another set.
>>
>> Thanks.

Thanks! Did not know that it has been so well researched.

Yes, i did have a few thousand headers. The colliisions were
quite rare, but readily noticeable.