From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Ada, ACT and Rust [not VMS related - at least currently]
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:32:19 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 01:32 UTC

Ada, ACT and Rust has come up more than once here.

News:

https://thenewstack.io/how-adacores-rust-fork-may-make-the-language-more-adoptable/

Arne

Re: Ada, ACT and Rust [not VMS related - at least currently]

<ud4ieg$1fd6v$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29600&group=comp.os.vms#29600

From: club...@remove_me.eisner.decus.org-Earth.UFP (Simon Clubley)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:26:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Simon Clubley - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:26 UTC

On 2023-09-01, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> Ada, ACT and Rust has come up more than once here.
>
> News:
>
> https://thenewstack.io/how-adacores-rust-fork-may-make-the-language-more-adoptable/

Interesting. I can see how that's a benefit in the short term, but
what about a few years from now, when the then-current version of
Rust new programmers have learnt outside of AdaCore is different
from the one AdaCore is supporting in its LTS product ?

Simon.

Re: Ada, ACT and Rust [not VMS related - at least currently]

<ud4sm8$1h68v$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29615&group=comp.os.vms#29615

From: arn...@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 11:21:44 -0400
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 15:21 UTC

On 9/4/2023 8:26 AM, Simon Clubley wrote:
> On 2023-09-01, Arne Vajhøj <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> Ada, ACT and Rust has come up more than once here.
>>
>> News:
>>
>> https://thenewstack.io/how-adacores-rust-fork-may-make-the-language-more-adoptable/
>
> Interesting. I can see how that's a benefit in the short term, but
> what about a few years from now, when the then-current version of
> Rust new programmers have learnt outside of AdaCore is different
> from the one AdaCore is supporting in its LTS product ?

It is a choice companies make.

They can pick:
* have a keep current strategy and update frequently
* stick to something for 10 or 20 or 30 years

We know it from the VMS world:
- many upgraded VAX -> Alpha -> Itanium and are getting ready for x86-64
- some decided to stay at VAX (some may even have stayed on VMS 5.5
and not 6.2 or 7.3)

ACT seems to believe there is a market for Rust support for the second
type.

I don't know that world, but I believe that ACT know that world well, so
I assume they know what they are doing.

There are a few interesting points though:
* it seems like ACT believe Rust can be a replacement for Ada
in at least some cases
* one has to wonder whether ACT will produce an actual fork
of Rust maybe with a commercially licensed version and a
free version that output GPL'ed code (given Gnat history
that seems a relevant question)

Arne