From: curmudg...@mailinator.com (Optimist)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Gmail
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:14:59 +0000
 by: Optimist - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:14 UTC

Yesterday Gmail introduced "2-Step Verification", which resulted in it refusing to allow me to
access my emails from Agent. Fortunately this feature can currently be switched off so I am able to
continue to use Gmail. I am concerned however that Gmail may make this feature compulsory and
therefore incompatible with Agent.

Any ideas please?

Re: Gmail

<5mtnoglpumqgqggi5tcearb7d8rliapr97@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2963&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2963

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Gmail
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:44:20 +0100
 by: non...@given.com - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:44 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:14:59 +0000, Optimist
<curmudgeon@mailinator.com> wrote:

>I am concerned however that Gmail may make this feature compulsory and
>therefore incompatible with Agent.
>
>Any ideas please?

Change to a more modern email client.

Re: Gmail

<r5vnoglqpn4cisvjaif22laj188ah2vobq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2964&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2964

From: dougbrow...@gmail.com (Doug Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 12:31:31 -0500
 by: Doug Brown - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:31 UTC

You need to create an "app specific password" (in your gmail account), and
then use it (instead of your normal gmail password) in your Agent settings.
Note that you must activate gmail's two-step verification before you can
create the app specific password. This has been working fine for me.

Searching gmail's help for "app specific password" yields:

Sign in with App Passwords

An App Password is a 16-digit passcode that gives a less secure app or
device permission to access your Google Account. App Passwords can only be
used with accounts that have 2-Step Verification turned on.

Create & use App Passwords

If you use 2-Step-Verification and get a "password incorrect" error when
you sign in, you can try to use an App Password.

Go to your Google Account.
Select Security.
Under "Signing in to Google," select App Passwords. You may need to
sign in. If you don’t have this option, it might be because:
2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
2-Step Verification is only set up for security keys.
Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
You turned on Advanced Protection.
At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the app you using and then
Select device and choose the device you’re using and then Generate.
Follow the instructions to enter the App Password. The App Password is
the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.
Tap Done.

Tip: Most of the time, you’ll only have to enter an App Password once per
app or device, so don’t worry about memorizing it.

wrote:

> Yesterday Gmail introduced "2-Step Verification", which resulted in it refusing to allow me to
> access my emails from Agent. Fortunately this feature can currently be switched off so I am able to
> continue to use Gmail. I am concerned however that Gmail may make this feature compulsory and
> therefore incompatible with Agent.
>
> Any ideas please?

Re: Gmail

<b82oogpvej34kgmr3e585mncuep846pjb7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2965&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2965

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:03:40 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 18:03 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:14:59 +0000, Optimist wrote:

> Yesterday Gmail introduced "2-Step Verification", which resulted in it refusing to allow me to
> access my emails from Agent. Fortunately this feature can currently be switched off so I am able to
> continue to use Gmail. I am concerned however that Gmail may make this feature compulsory and
> therefore incompatible with Agent.
>
> Any ideas please?

If you are using your Google/Gmail account password in Agent, then use an
"app password" instead.

<https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833>

You need to turn on "2-Step Verification" to _create_ the app password,
but you don't need "2-Step Verification" to _use_ the app password.
You can turn off "2-Step Verification" after creating the app password,
and the app password will still work.

Gmail does not want you to use your main Google/Gmail account password
in your email program. Gmail considers this to be "less secure", and
wants to turn on 2-step verification if you do.

Gmail's preferred alternative is for your email app to use login
method = "OAuth". Agent does not support login method = "OAuth".
Gmail's next alternative is for you to use an "app password" in Agent
instead of your Google/Gmail account password.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Gmail

<k17uogdaa6oh016f5ipvrhe0gfm2g6jgo3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2966&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2966

From: joc...@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 18:05:04 -0800
 by: Nobody - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 02:05 UTC

On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:03:40 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:14:59 +0000, Optimist wrote:
>
>> Yesterday Gmail introduced "2-Step Verification", which resulted in it refusing to allow me to
>> access my emails from Agent. Fortunately this feature can currently be switched off so I am able to
>> continue to use Gmail. I am concerned however that Gmail may make this feature compulsory and
>> therefore incompatible with Agent.
>>
>> Any ideas please?
>

>If you are using your Google/Gmail account password in Agent, then use an
>"app password" instead.
>
> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833>
>
>You need to turn on "2-Step Verification" to _create_ the app password,
>but you don't need "2-Step Verification" to _use_ the app password.
>You can turn off "2-Step Verification" after creating the app password,
>and the app password will still work.
>

>Gmail does not want you to use your main Google/Gmail account password
>in your email program. Gmail considers this to be "less secure", and
>wants to turn on 2-step verification if you do.
>
>Gmail's preferred alternative is for your email app to use login
>method = "OAuth". Agent does not support login method = "OAuth".
>Gmail's next alternative is for you to use an "app password" in Agent
>instead of your Google/Gmail account password.

The olde story as elsewhere (i.e. Thunderbird)... destroy previous
passwords... allow Gmail to accept 'insecure third-party apps'.

<sigh>

Re: Gmail

<ccguog9bgnedtbf3hmjqdoqqut59dcv714@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2967&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2967

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 17:46:30 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 04:46 UTC

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 18:05:04 -0800, Nobody wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:03:40 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Gmail's preferred alternative is for your email app to use login
>> method = "OAuth". Agent does not support login method = "OAuth".
>> Gmail's next alternative is for you to use an "app password" in Agent
>> instead of your Google/Gmail account password.
>
> The olde story as elsewhere (i.e. Thunderbird)... destroy previous
> passwords... allow Gmail to accept 'insecure third-party apps'.

I have 'insecure third-party apps' turned _off_. Thunderbird and Agent
both work with Gmail.

* For Thunderbird, the fix is simple: use Authentication Method = "OAuth2".
Google/Gmail consider OAuth2 to be secure.

* For Agent, I use an "app password".

--
Regards
Ralph

The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.

Re: Gmail

<s83vog15k4r75fd5mr8o79ja6avnf8ln4r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2968&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2968

From: curmudg...@mailinator.com (Optimist)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:03:19 +0000
 by: Optimist - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:03 UTC

On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:03:40 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:14:59 +0000, Optimist wrote:
>
>> Yesterday Gmail introduced "2-Step Verification", which resulted in it refusing to allow me to
>> access my emails from Agent. Fortunately this feature can currently be switched off so I am able to
>> continue to use Gmail. I am concerned however that Gmail may make this feature compulsory and
>> therefore incompatible with Agent.
>>
>> Any ideas please?
>

>If you are using your Google/Gmail account password in Agent, then use an
>"app password" instead.
>
> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833>
>
>You need to turn on "2-Step Verification" to _create_ the app password,
>but you don't need "2-Step Verification" to _use_ the app password.
>You can turn off "2-Step Verification" after creating the app password,
>and the app password will still work.
>

>Gmail does not want you to use your main Google/Gmail account password
>in your email program. Gmail considers this to be "less secure", and
>wants to turn on 2-step verification if you do.
>
>Gmail's preferred alternative is for your email app to use login
>method = "OAuth". Agent does not support login method = "OAuth".
>Gmail's next alternative is for you to use an "app password" in Agent
>instead of your Google/Gmail account password.

Thank you, Ralph and Doug, for your advice.

Re: Gmail

<ffd6rgl951hnnrlqqdmmva0nb5525llp1m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3013&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3013

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 12:13:46 +0100
 by: Martin - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 11:13 UTC

On Sat, 13 Nov 2021 10:03:19 +0000, Optimist <curmudgeon@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2021 07:03:40 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 08:14:59 +0000, Optimist wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday Gmail introduced "2-Step Verification", which resulted in it refusing to allow me to
>>> access my emails from Agent. Fortunately this feature can currently be switched off so I am able to
>>> continue to use Gmail. I am concerned however that Gmail may make this feature compulsory and
>>> therefore incompatible with Agent.
>>>
>>> Any ideas please?
>>

>>If you are using your Google/Gmail account password in Agent, then use an
>>"app password" instead.
>>
>> <https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833>
>>
>>You need to turn on "2-Step Verification" to _create_ the app password,
>>but you don't need "2-Step Verification" to _use_ the app password.
>>You can turn off "2-Step Verification" after creating the app password,
>>and the app password will still work.
>>

>>Gmail does not want you to use your main Google/Gmail account password
>>in your email program. Gmail considers this to be "less secure", and
>>wants to turn on 2-step verification if you do.
>>
>>Gmail's preferred alternative is for your email app to use login
>>method = "OAuth". Agent does not support login method = "OAuth".
>>Gmail's next alternative is for you to use an "app password" in Agent
>>instead of your Google/Gmail account password.
>
>Thank you, Ralph and Doug, for your advice.

Isn't the simplest thing to just turn off two step verification?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Gmail

<hcf7rgl34jbp7bsgtqk7vl54d1og7ud519@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3014&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3014

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 09:56:13 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 20:56 UTC

On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 12:13:46 +0100, Martin wrote:

> Isn't the simplest thing to just turn off two step verification?

This thread is about the options if Gmail were to make 2-step verification compulsory.

--
Kind regards
Ralph