From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Verizon Fios begins offering multi-gig home internet speeds in NYC [telecom]
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 17:28:53 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Sat, 12 Feb 2022 17:28 UTC

The provider's fastest plan is available in select areas of the city
and will be rolled out to additional markets later this year.

After Ziply Fiber and AT&T nabbed headlines in January with
announcements about their new multi-gig home internet plans, Verizon
has stepped forward with news of its own. Beginning Tuesday, select
areas of the New York City market will be able to sign up for the Fios
2 Gigabit Connection plan, which offers upload and download speeds as
high as 2.3 gigabits per second.

Verizon Fios, the company's 100% fiber-optic home internet service, is
available in eight Northeastern states and the District of
Columbia. In most markets, it offers three plans: Fios 300 (300
megabits-per-second download and upload speeds), Fios 500 (500Mbps
download, upload) and Fios Gigabit (940Mbps download, 880Mbps upload).

***** Commentary *****

I'm curious where the "select areas of the New York City market" are
located, and even more curious as to what makes them "select."

I'm also curious about how a line that tops out at 940 Mbps can be
labelled "Gigabit" when it obviously isn't: let's see, I'll grab a
virtual pencil ...

940 divided by 1,000 is 0.94.
880 divided by 1,000 is 0.88.

So, Verizon's "Gigabit" service, according to Cnet, is only 94% of a
Gigabit on download, and only 88% of a Gigabit on uploads.

Bill Horne

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

Re: Verizon Fios begins offering multi-gig home internet speeds in NYC [telecom]

<f68314da-53ea-20b4-f42d-f815de41d48b@cfl.rr.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2962&group=comp.dcom.telecom#2962

From: CPBin...@remove-this.cfl.rr.com (Curt)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 11:36:03 -0500
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Curt - Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:36 UTC

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 17:28:53 +0000 (UTC), Bill Horne <malQRMassimilation@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm also curious about how a line that tops out at 940 Mbps can be
> labelled "Gigabit" when it obviously isn't: let's see, I'll grab a
> virtual pencil ...
>
> 940 divided by 1,000 is 0.94.
> 880 divided by 1,000 is 0.88.
>
> So, Verizon's "Gigabit" service, according to Cnet, is only 94% of a
> Gigabit on download, and only 88% of a Gigabit on uploads.

Shouldn't the divisor be 1024? Then down is 0.918 and up only 0.859.

Just my 1.7 cents worth.

interim moderator's note: No. Ethernet speeds are in decimal multiples of
10, kilo not kibi etc.

--
*Curt Bramblett*