You scratch my tape, and I'll scratch yours.

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Google maps annoyance.

SubjectAuthor
* Google maps annoyance.The Real Bev
+* Re: Google maps annoyance.VanguardLH
|`* Re: Google maps annoyance.The Real Bev
| `- Re: Google maps annoyance.micky
`* Re: Google maps annoyance.Tobiah
 `* Re: Google maps annoyance.The Real Bev
  `- Re: Google maps annoyance.micky

1
Google maps annoyance.

<t16354$saf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29435&group=comp.mobile.android#29435

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Google maps annoyance.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:22:28 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 02:22 UTC

A friend is sharing her location with me. When I open it up on my
Pixel2 there is more screen space devoted to her name, time, etc. than
to the actual map. Is there any way of controlling that? I NEVER need
to see that useless information, I just want the map to be shown full
screen and I can't figure out how to do that.

Help!

--
Cheers, Bev
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of

Re: Google maps annoyance.

<1y1yy9yxshbam$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29436&group=comp.mobile.android#29436

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Google maps annoyance.
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 01:21:39 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 06:21 UTC

The Real Bev wrote:

> A friend is sharing her location with me. When I open it up on my
> Pixel2 there is more screen space devoted to her name, time, etc. than
> to the actual map. Is there any way of controlling that? I NEVER need
> to see that useless information, I just want the map to be shown full
> screen and I can't figure out how to do that.

When viewing Google Maps and seeing the lower pane listing the people
with whom they are sharing their location with you, there isn't a
backarrow button at the top right to move back to the map page showing
just the icons of where are those people?

I don't bother sharing my location with others, or their location with
me. From what I see in Youtube videos, the backarrow icon at the top
left gets you off the screen showing part of the map with a lower pane
listing who is sharing their location with you, and you move back to a
map page showing icons for where are the other people sharing their
location with you.

When you're back on the map page (with just icons of those sharing their
location with you), you may have to drag down the Explore pane to get
rid of that clutter.

Re: Google maps annoyance.

<t17mnv$app$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29445&group=comp.mobile.android#29445

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:02:53 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 17:02 UTC

On 03/19/2022 11:21 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> A friend is sharing her location with me. When I open it up on my
>> Pixel2 there is more screen space devoted to her name, time, etc. than
>> to the actual map. Is there any way of controlling that? I NEVER need
>> to see that useless information, I just want the map to be shown full
>> screen and I can't figure out how to do that.
>
> When viewing Google Maps and seeing the lower pane listing the people
> with whom they are sharing their location with you, there isn't a
> backarrow button at the top right to move back to the map page showing
> just the icons of where are those people?

No, that moves to the non-map page that lists the people with whom I'm
sharing :-(

> I don't bother sharing my location with others, or their location with
> me. From what I see in Youtube videos, the backarrow icon at the top
> left gets you off the screen showing part of the map with a lower pane
> listing who is sharing their location with you, and you move back to a
> map page showing icons for where are the other people sharing their
> location with you.

Lying bastards, or an old (or new?) version of the app. Android 11 and I
updated my apps a few weeks ago. Running another update now...

My daughter is a tour director and I like to see where she is. Right
now she's near the Spy Museum in DC -- she brought me back a t-shirt
with the NSA logo from there; the caption is 'The only government agency
that actually cares enough to listen'.

> When you're back on the map page (with just icons of those sharing their
> location with you), you may have to drag down the Explore pane to get
> rid of that clutter.

Hmph Doesn't seem to be any way of dragging the share-page down or
sideways or anything. It insists on covering the map, which is stupid.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'm pretty sure omnipotent entities don't need

Re: Google maps annoyance.

<kuue3hh55o03dn8sn3atnhco674kvgpar8@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29447&group=comp.mobile.android#29447

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 21:10:39 +0200
 by: micky - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:10 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:02:53 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>My daughter is a tour director and I like to see where she is. Right
>now she's near the Spy Museum in DC -- she brought me back a t-shirt

I want to go to the Spy Museum. There used to be days or weeks delay in
getting a reservation, years ago, but I don't think it's so crowded now.

>with the NSA logo from there; the caption is 'The only government agency
>that actually cares enough to listen'.

LOL

>> When you're back on the map page (with just icons of those sharing their
>> location with you), you may have to drag down the Explore pane to get
>> rid of that clutter.
>
>Hmph Doesn't seem to be any way of dragging the share-page down or
>sideways or anything. It insists on covering the map, which is stupid.

Re: Google maps annoyance.

<t1adot$b6e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29456&group=comp.mobile.android#29456

From: tob...@tobiah.org (Tobiah)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 10:48:13 -0700
 by: Tobiah - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 17:48 UTC

On 3/19/22 19:22, The Real Bev wrote:
> A friend is sharing her location with me.  When I open it up on my Pixel2 there is more screen space devoted to her name, time, etc. than to the actual map.  Is there any way of controlling that?  I NEVER need to see that useless information, I just want the map to be shown full screen and I can't figure out how to do that.
>
> Help!

Normally just tapping on the map itself will clear away all the
other cruft.

Re: Google maps annoyance.

<t1ctou$odj$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29503&group=comp.mobile.android#29503

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:33:32 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Tue, 22 Mar 2022 16:33 UTC

On 03/21/2022 10:48 AM, Tobiah wrote:
> On 3/19/22 19:22, The Real Bev wrote:
>> A friend is sharing her location with me. When I open it up on my Pixel2 there is more screen space devoted to her name, time, etc. than to the actual map. Is there any way of controlling that? I NEVER need to see that useless information, I just want the map to be shown full screen and I can't figure out how to do that.
>>
>> Help!
>
> Normally just tapping on the map itself will clear away all the
> other cruft.

OK, just bringing up Maps without tapping on my photo and then
'location' works, but I have to shrink the image to find her and then
pan to the other side of the country (right now).

Good enough, but still crippled.

--
Cheers, Bev
Never argue with a woman holding a torque wrench.

Re: Google maps annoyance.

<npvq3hp3jgjoa0votdmb7as7kjsf1vctqd@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29622&group=comp.mobile.android#29622

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:38:38 +0200
 by: micky - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:38 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:33:32 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 03/21/2022 10:48 AM, Tobiah wrote:
>> On 3/19/22 19:22, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> A friend is sharing her location with me. When I open it up on my Pixel2 there is more screen space devoted to her name, time, etc. than to the actual map. Is there any way of controlling that? I NEVER need to see that useless information, I just want the map to be shown full screen and I can't figure out how to do that.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>
>> Normally just tapping on the map itself will clear away all the
>> other cruft.
>
>OK, just bringing up Maps without tapping on my photo and then
>'location' works, but I have to shrink the image to find her and then
>pan to the other side of the country (right now).
>
>Good enough, but still crippled.

What gets me about google maps is that it labels highway inersections,
and the label is sometimes so big it hides what the ramps look like.
Even zooming in it's still covering the intersection.