"When people are least sure, they are often most dogmatic." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

computers / comp.mobile.android / Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

SubjectAuthor
* Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
+* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetKenW
|`* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
| `* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetKenW
|  +* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetThe Real Bev
|  |`- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
|  `- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
+* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetVanguardLH
|+* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetThe Real Bev
||`- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
|`* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
| `* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetVanguardLH
|  +- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetVanguardLH
|  `- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
+* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetTheo
|+- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
|`- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
`* Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]
 `- Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or resetSteve Silverwood [KB6OJS]

1
Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<pbas3hhvf0uncbmalct00j73buo2rt4o1n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29640&group=comp.mobile.android#29640

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:51:38 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 20:51 UTC

My wife has a NOOK tablet, Android-based (Samsung SM-T560NU), which
has gone into a "diagram-tracing" login method since she changed the
PIN. "Alma" at BN tech support gave me the following instructions to
do a reset:
-=-=-
To perform a Factory Reset, please follow the steps below:
1. Power the device OFF.
2. Press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home buttons
simultaneously.
3. When the device begins to power back on, release all buttons.
4. You are now in Android System Recovery Mode.
5. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to the wipe
data/factory reset option, then press the Power button to select.
6. Use the volume down button to navigate to the Yes - delete all
user data option, press Power to select.
7. Once the reset is complete, select reboot system now.
8. The Samsung NOOK device will restart and you will begin the
initial setup of the device just like a brand new unit.
-=-=-

The problem is, it won't even let me power off the unit without
entering the unlock diagram. It's sitting in what it indicates is
"Safe Mode" right now and I'm stuck. All BN will offer is an
out-of-warranty trade-in to purchase a new one. That isn't an option
because we want to stay with Android and the only Android-based NOOK
tablets they make now are from Lenovo (which means China, and I don't
trust that source).

If I'm FORCED to junk this device, I'll just go to WalMart and get one
of their ONN-brand devices, since I've been using one for a good long
while myself and it's a LOT less expensive than the BN products.

But before I do that, is there ANY way to get past this problem?
Buying the ONN product is possible, but not readily affordable right
now in our budget.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<g1bs3htua8h3l4ia1k6el7vnntu422nhlp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29641&group=comp.mobile.android#29641

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:57:28 -0600
 by: KenW - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 20:57 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:51:38 -0700, "Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS]"
<steve.silverwood@gmail.com> wrote:

>My wife has a NOOK tablet, Android-based (Samsung SM-T560NU), which
>has gone into a "diagram-tracing" login method since she changed the
>PIN. "Alma" at BN tech support gave me the following instructions to
>do a reset:
>-=-=-
>To perform a Factory Reset, please follow the steps below:
>1. Power the device OFF.
>2. Press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home buttons
>simultaneously.
>3. When the device begins to power back on, release all buttons.
>4. You are now in Android System Recovery Mode.
>5. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to the wipe
>data/factory reset option, then press the Power button to select.
>6. Use the volume down button to navigate to the Yes - delete all
>user data option, press Power to select.
>7. Once the reset is complete, select reboot system now.
>8. The Samsung NOOK device will restart and you will begin the
>initial setup of the device just like a brand new unit.
>-=-=-
>
>The problem is, it won't even let me power off the unit without
>entering the unlock diagram. It's sitting in what it indicates is
>"Safe Mode" right now and I'm stuck. All BN will offer is an
>out-of-warranty trade-in to purchase a new one. That isn't an option
>because we want to stay with Android and the only Android-based NOOK
>tablets they make now are from Lenovo (which means China, and I don't
>trust that source).
>
>If I'm FORCED to junk this device, I'll just go to WalMart and get one
>of their ONN-brand devices, since I've been using one for a good long
>while myself and it's a LOT less expensive than the BN products.
>
>But before I do that, is there ANY way to get past this problem?
>Buying the ONN product is possible, but not readily affordable right
>now in our budget.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!

What isn't made in China & which China ?

Try a soft reset first, look it up I don't remember how + know nothing
about a Nook

KenW

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<f5is3h170dsq5aa2m62rbdj46uv4hono98@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29642&group=comp.mobile.android#29642

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:59:09 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 22:59 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:57:28 -0600, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>What isn't made in China & which China ?

Lenovo is made in mainland China.
Samsung is made in Korea.
I have to look into the ONN brand from WalMart, but last I remember I
think it was made in Malaysia.

>Try a soft reset first, look it up I don't remember how + know nothing
>about a Nook

Thanks, Ken, but it won't let me do a soft reset until I give it that
"drawing" to unlock it. It's stuck in Safe Mode until then.

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<uiks3hhbs2sl7bp5ob202mgoqsdf5mf7er@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29643&group=comp.mobile.android#29643

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:44:25 -0600
 by: KenW - Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:44 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:59:09 -0700, "Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS]"
<steve.silverwood@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:57:28 -0600, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>What isn't made in China & which China ?
>
>Lenovo is made in mainland China.
>Samsung is made in Korea.
>I have to look into the ONN brand from WalMart, but last I remember I
>think it was made in Malaysia.
>
>>Try a soft reset first, look it up I don't remember how + know nothing
>>about a Nook
>
>Thanks, Ken, but it won't let me do a soft reset until I give it that
>"drawing" to unlock it. It's stuck in Safe Mode until then.
I only have a Android cell and tablet which do hard, lose all programs
and soft resets which keeps everything. If the Nook doesn't lose any
programs, I would do a hard reset. A soft reset keeps any purchased
programs besides keeping whatever was installed by the factory.

Have Fun !!

KenW

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<t1m2pr$8nj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29645&group=comp.mobile.android#29645

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 20:54:34 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 03:54 UTC

On 03/25/2022 04:44 PM, KenW wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 15:59:09 -0700, "Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS]"
> <steve.silverwood@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 14:57:28 -0600, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:
>>
>>>What isn't made in China & which China ?
>>
>>Lenovo is made in mainland China.
>>Samsung is made in Korea.
>>I have to look into the ONN brand from WalMart, but last I remember I
>>think it was made in Malaysia.
>>
>>>Try a soft reset first, look it up I don't remember how + know nothing
>>>about a Nook
>>
>>Thanks, Ken, but it won't let me do a soft reset until I give it that
>>"drawing" to unlock it. It's stuck in Safe Mode until then.
> I only have a Android cell and tablet which do hard, lose all programs
> and soft resets which keeps everything. If the Nook doesn't lose any
> programs, I would do a hard reset. A soft reset keeps any purchased
> programs besides keeping whatever was installed by the factory.
>
> Have Fun !!

If the symptom is "nothing works", perhaps this unlikely fix will help:
Run the corner of a business card along the separation between the
frame and the screen -- the intention is to clear out some mysterious
thing causing trouble. I've done this several times with my older Nook
and it works like a charm.

And it's free!

--
Cheers, Bev
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<fjsni375ux0m$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29646&group=comp.mobile.android#29646

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:07:13 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:07 UTC

Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS] wrote:

> Samsung SM-T560NU

I tried to go to Samsung's site to get the manual for the device. No
user manual, just some bogus manual that's about disposal. Worthless.

I went to Youtube and found:

Samsung SM-T560NU

You could disconnect the battery (not replace it), wait a while, and
reconnect the battery. The phone should be in power off mode after
reconnecting the battery. Don't reassemble the tablet until you test
the VolumeUp+Power+Home concurrent button press to make sure you can get
into recovery mode. If not, disconnect the battery for a lot longer,
and try again. If 10 minutes weren't enough, I'd disconnect, go do
something else for an hour, and try again.

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<t1m4le$id9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29647&group=comp.mobile.android#29647

From: bashley...@gmail.com (The Real Bev)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:26:19 -0700
 by: The Real Bev - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 04:26 UTC

On 03/25/2022 09:07 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS] wrote:
>
>> Samsung SM-T560NU
>
> I tried to go to Samsung's site to get the manual for the device. No
> user manual, just some bogus manual that's about disposal. Worthless.
>
> I went to Youtube and found:
>
> Samsung SM-T560NU

Did Samsung buy Nook? Too bad, I like the older one I have. Maybe it
will work forever.

> You could disconnect the battery (not replace it), wait a while, and
> reconnect the battery. The phone should be in power off mode after
> reconnecting the battery. Don't reassemble the tablet until you test
> the VolumeUp+Power+Home concurrent button press to make sure you can get
> into recovery mode. If not, disconnect the battery for a lot longer,
> and try again. If 10 minutes weren't enough, I'd disconnect, go do
> something else for an hour, and try again.

For the record, I will never buy another Samsung product. A $1,600 TV
should NOT go bad one month out of its one-year warranty. A gas stove
should not require four service trips within its one-year warrnty
period. The laser printer NEVER worked properly. My friend's
front-loading washer started leaking within the first year.

The cheap tablets seem to work OK, but they're so slow (old) that nobody
wants to use them.

--
Cheers, Bev
That's my opinion; oughta be yours.

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<awE*F17Jy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29650&group=comp.mobile.android#29650

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 26 Mar 2022 11:14:04 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:14 UTC

Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS] <steve.silverwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is, it won't even let me power off the unit without
> entering the unlock diagram. It's sitting in what it indicates is
> "Safe Mode" right now and I'm stuck.

Normally the way to do a hard power off is to hold down the power button
until the screen goes off. It can take 30 seconds or so of holding before
that happens.

If that doesn't work, pull the battery (if removable), or leave it running
until the battery goes flat and it powers off. Then plug it onto the
charger and let it charge without turning it on.

Theo

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<mt6v4h9ivuoc672t8tf1am93ru1p0l3s4u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30080&group=comp.mobile.android#30080

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 19:21:46 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 02:21 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:44:25 -0600, KenW <ken1943@invalid.net> wrote:

>>>Try a soft reset first, look it up I don't remember how + know nothing
>>>about a Nook
>>
>>Thanks, Ken, but it won't let me do a soft reset until I give it that
>>"drawing" to unlock it. It's stuck in Safe Mode until then.
>I only have a Android cell and tablet which do hard, lose all programs
>and soft resets which keeps everything. If the Nook doesn't lose any
>programs, I would do a hard reset. A soft reset keeps any purchased
>programs besides keeping whatever was installed by the factory.

A hard reset is exactly what I am trying to do: reset the device
completely back to "factory specs" and then rebuild it from scratch,
including both the internal memory and the contents of the microSD
card (which is just where the Nook app stores its download, as an
option, and which I use to free up some space on this fairly old
system).

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<v17v4hdbauomcer91g9m01erfv7ee2ok31@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30081&group=comp.mobile.android#30081

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 19:26:26 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 02:26 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 20:54:34 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>Thanks, Ken, but it won't let me do a soft reset until I give it that
>>>"drawing" to unlock it. It's stuck in Safe Mode until then.
>> I only have a Android cell and tablet which do hard, lose all programs
>> and soft resets which keeps everything. If the Nook doesn't lose any
>> programs, I would do a hard reset. A soft reset keeps any purchased
>> programs besides keeping whatever was installed by the factory.
>>
>> Have Fun !!
>
>If the symptom is "nothing works", perhaps this unlikely fix will help:
> Run the corner of a business card along the separation between the
>frame and the screen -- the intention is to clear out some mysterious
>thing causing trouble. I've done this several times with my older Nook
>and it works like a charm.
>
>And it's free!

Yes, it's free. Getting there is the problem. Right now I'm
attempting to run the battery flat so that I can HOPEFULLY restart the
system per the instructions I got from Barnes & Noble online tech
support via chat (or possibly their Samsung experts, whomever).

At this very moment it's down to 31%. It's taking forever because I
just have to let it SIT and slowly bleed to death power-wise. I told
Claudia about it, and she said to maybe just play some games or
whatever. I explained that I can't because it won't let me in. If it
DID, then we wouldn't have this problem. She said, "Oh." <sigh>

BTW, sorry I was "dark" for a while and didn't see or answer the
replies to my message. Medical issues, couldn't hardly walk, much
less get to my desk and go online. <sigh, again>

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<1b7v4h5if715rh4fvds6apt999djskl4kp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30082&group=comp.mobile.android#30082

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 19:27:49 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 02:27 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 23:07:13 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>You could disconnect the battery (not replace it), wait a while, and
>reconnect the battery. The phone should be in power off mode after
>reconnecting the battery. Don't reassemble the tablet until you test
>the VolumeUp+Power+Home concurrent button press to make sure you can get
>into recovery mode. If not, disconnect the battery for a lot longer,
>and try again. If 10 minutes weren't enough, I'd disconnect, go do
>something else for an hour, and try again.

Not a phone, it's a tablet. Closed unit, no access to the internals.
Otherwise I would do as you recommend.

Thanks for the idea, though.

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<hd7v4h9v1e22kabpceh56thptkckh2dki8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30083&group=comp.mobile.android#30083

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 19:35:20 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 02:35 UTC

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:26:19 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley101@gmail.com> wrote:

>Did Samsung buy Nook? Too bad, I like the older one I have. Maybe it
>will work forever.

No. Samsung was the OEM for their Android-based tablet line a few
years ago, when we bought these. Now they're using Lenovo as the OEM
for their Android tablets. Not sure who the OEM is that makes their
Nook-dedicated book readers.

>For the record, I will never buy another Samsung product. A $1,600 TV
>should NOT go bad one month out of its one-year warranty. A gas stove
>should not require four service trips within its one-year warrnty
>period. The laser printer NEVER worked properly. My friend's
>front-loading washer started leaking within the first year.

I know how you feel. I feel the same about LG. And I really have had
very good experience with Samsung-manufactured products to date. This
is the only serious problem I've had for several years with their
gear. I've had several phones and have stuck with them via Verizon
all that time.

LG screwed us over at work regarding an air conditioner, refused to
honor their warranty. I swore I'd never give them a chance to screw
me again, and I don't let any LG products into the house.

For TVs, my brand of choice is Vizio. We've had a few and they've
always been a good performer.

>The cheap tablets seem to work OK, but they're so slow (old) that nobody
>wants to use them.

Yeah, you have to pay for performance. I got an ONN tablet (WalMart
house brand, don't know who makes it) and it's been a steady workhorse
for me. Had one break (not sure what happened) but I didn't get the
extended warranty on it so had to junk it and replace it. The new one
IS covered with an extended warranty, so therefore since I paid for
the extra it's worked perfectly and I haven't had to ask for any help
or service. Naturally.... But hey, as long as it keeps working, I'm
happy.

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<jr7v4hdds6i38ijlvlq1qd65jehpdcjbk6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30085&group=comp.mobile.android#30085

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2022 19:37:37 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 02:37 UTC

On 26 Mar 2022 11:14:04 +0000 (GMT), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Normally the way to do a hard power off is to hold down the power button
>until the screen goes off. It can take 30 seconds or so of holding before
>that happens.
>
>If that doesn't work, pull the battery (if removable), or leave it running
>until the battery goes flat and it powers off. Then plug it onto the
>charger and let it charge without turning it on.

Thanks, Theo. Unable to comply, though, re: yanking the battery.
Sealed unit. I'm trying the bleed-it-to-death option, it's been
sitting all this time, slowly draining its battery while in standby
mode. Sitting at 31% so I still have a while....

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<pc7u9n1ix2lc$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30101&group=comp.mobile.android#30101

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 01:03:03 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:03 UTC

Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS] wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> You could disconnect the battery (not replace it), wait a while, and
>> reconnect the battery. The phone should be in power off mode after
>> reconnecting the battery. Don't reassemble the tablet until you
>> test the VolumeUp+Power+Home concurrent button press to make sure
>> you can get into recovery mode. If not, disconnect the battery for
>> a lot longer, and try again. If 10 minutes weren't enough, I'd
>> disconnect, go do something else for an hour, and try again.
>
> Not a phone, it's a tablet. Closed unit, no access to the internals.
> Otherwise I would do as you recommend.

Tablets can be disassembled, too. You've seen phones that were easily
dismantled? They're not intended to be user-serviceable devices, but
that doesn't eliminate they can be serviced.

Do a search at Youtube on your brand and model of phone or tablet.
Likely you'll find someone there that posted a video on disassembling
the device, like:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Samsung+nook+table+replace+battery

Obviously the device only needs to get dismantled if the battery is not
removable (i.e., a user-serviceable component), like a backplate that
opens to swap out the battery. Tis why I still look for smartphones
with user-replaceable batteries, but they're getting rare. The makers
want users discarding phones when the batteries die, or become too weak
to retain a decent charge for long up time.

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<1bf93493cvq0r$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30105&group=comp.mobile.android#30105

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 01:09:55 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:09 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS] wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> You could disconnect the battery (not replace it), wait a while, and
>>> reconnect the battery. The phone should be in power off mode after
>>> reconnecting the battery. Don't reassemble the tablet until you
>>> test the VolumeUp+Power+Home concurrent button press to make sure
>>> you can get into recovery mode. If not, disconnect the battery for
>>> a lot longer, and try again. If 10 minutes weren't enough, I'd
>>> disconnect, go do something else for an hour, and try again.
>>
>> Not a phone, it's a tablet. Closed unit, no access to the internals.
>> Otherwise I would do as you recommend.
>
> Tablets can be disassembled, too. You've seen phones that were easily
> dismantled? They're not intended to be user-serviceable devices, but
> that doesn't eliminate they can be serviced.
>
> Do a search at Youtube on your brand and model of phone or tablet.
> Likely you'll find someone there that posted a video on disassembling
> the device, like:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Samsung+nook+table+replace+battery
>
> Obviously the device only needs to get dismantled if the battery is not
> removable (i.e., a user-serviceable component), like a backplate that
> opens to swap out the battery. Tis why I still look for smartphones
> with user-replaceable batteries, but they're getting rare. The makers
> want users discarding phones when the batteries die, or become too weak
> to retain a decent charge for long up time.

Besides, the battery has an average lifetime of maybe 3 years after
which it loses capacity so bad that up-time is pretty low (you don't
many hours to use the device after reaching 100% charge, but 100% charge
at 30% capacity won't give much up-time). If you're planning on
discarding the device after 3 years (more landfill, but you have to dump
the device at a hazardous waste site since it has a lithium battery),
then no need to learn how to dismantle the device, replace the battery,
and reassemble. If you want to keep the device for more than 3 years,
learn how to replace the battery which usually only needs a spludger and
small phillips screwdriver. Else, pay a shop to do the work you don't
feel capable of.

While you're trying to fully discharge the battery, understand the
device with automatically power off when the battery gets low, like
around 12-18% (as measured by voltage, not by true capacity). You may
have to let the device power off from a low battery, and then repeatedly
turn it back on to get rid of some more charge just enough on a fresh
draw after a restart to really get a dead device.

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<2pb15hp6s68k10gpsv2vlqa7ggvbo3l6id@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30147&group=comp.mobile.android#30147

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:56:02 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:56 UTC

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 01:03:03 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>Tablets can be disassembled, too. You've seen phones that were easily
>dismantled? They're not intended to be user-serviceable devices, but
>that doesn't eliminate they can be serviced.
>
>Do a search at Youtube on your brand and model of phone or tablet.
>Likely you'll find someone there that posted a video on disassembling
>the device, like:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Samsung+nook+table+replace+battery
>
>Obviously the device only needs to get dismantled if the battery is not
>removable (i.e., a user-serviceable component), like a backplate that
>opens to swap out the battery. Tis why I still look for smartphones
>with user-replaceable batteries, but they're getting rare. The makers
>want users discarding phones when the batteries die, or become too weak
>to retain a decent charge for long up time.

I will certainly do that. Thanks for this information and what you
followed up with in the next one. It's greatly appreciated.

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<csb15h97tuvjfs9pequr2f3n3i9uh8v3u9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30148&group=comp.mobile.android#30148

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2022 14:58:18 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 21:58 UTC

Update: I got some interesting information from VanguardLH about the
possibility of getting into the back of the tablet, so I might have to
go that route after all, assuming I can get a replacement battery to
go in this particular make and model.

I wanted to thank you again for the assistance. That goes all around,
too, for everyone that stepped up to help.

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<6k316h1clfehos92h40b1492hq94lo236q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30897&group=comp.mobile.android#30897

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:55:21 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:55 UTC

Just to let everyone know who participated in this thread, I was able
to perform the reset procedure provided by Barnes and Noble tech
support once the battery power dropped to zero on the tablet. Although
it took seemingly forever for it to drain down to zero while in
standby mode -- I didn't know it had that kind of lasting power! -- at
that point, it was as though I had been able to power it off per step
1, and the rest of the steps worked.

Thanks to all who replied with helpful information. I greatly
appreciate it, and I'll keep those messages for the hopefully-never
time when I may need them again...! :)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 13:51:38 -0700, "Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS]"
<steve.silverwood@gmail.com> wrote:

>My wife has a NOOK tablet, Android-based (Samsung SM-T560NU), which
>has gone into a "diagram-tracing" login method since she changed the
>PIN. "Alma" at BN tech support gave me the following instructions to
>do a reset:
>-=-=-
>To perform a Factory Reset, please follow the steps below:
>1. Power the device OFF.
>2. Press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home buttons
>simultaneously.
>3. When the device begins to power back on, release all buttons.
>4. You are now in Android System Recovery Mode.
>5. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to the wipe
>data/factory reset option, then press the Power button to select.
>6. Use the volume down button to navigate to the Yes - delete all
>user data option, press Power to select.
>7. Once the reset is complete, select reboot system now.
>8. The Samsung NOOK device will restart and you will begin the
>initial setup of the device just like a brand new unit.
>-=-=-
>
>The problem is, it won't even let me power off the unit without
>entering the unlock diagram. It's sitting in what it indicates is
>"Safe Mode" right now and I'm stuck. All BN will offer is an
>out-of-warranty trade-in to purchase a new one. That isn't an option
>because we want to stay with Android and the only Android-based NOOK
>tablets they make now are from Lenovo (which means China, and I don't
>trust that source).
>
>If I'm FORCED to junk this device, I'll just go to WalMart and get one
>of their ONN-brand devices, since I've been using one for a good long
>while myself and it's a LOT less expensive than the BN products.
>
>But before I do that, is there ANY way to get past this problem?
>Buying the ONN product is possible, but not readily affordable right
>now in our budget.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help!

--
//Steve//

Re: Problem with Samsung-made NOOK tablet re: logon or reset

<0je4bi96dij0aqm2jcng5d2s927tccivq6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=42818&group=comp.mobile.android#42818

From: steve.si...@gmail.com (Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS])
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 23:25:05 -0700
 by: Steve Silverwood [KB - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 06:25 UTC

I'm glad I kept this discussion thread, because it was helpful
originally with my wife's Samsung NOOK tablet. Again, thanks to all
who provided assistance.

I'm now faced with an additional problem on a different Samsung NOOK
tablet, this time a model SM-T280 -- somewhat older. This one's
telling me, after a full hard reset that is SUPPOSED to put it back to
out-of-box startup, that upon sign-in to the tablet that I've changed
my Google password (I haven't) and have to wait 24 hours for it to
apparently sync up with all the servers on the planet before I can get
into it. It's been doing this for over two weeks now, with all five
of the Google accounts I have active. (Yes, I have multiple accounts,
mostly for different purposes for GMail and Google Drive activities
which I like to keep separate from the one I'm using in this
discussion.)

I'm once again flabbergasted at the problem and cannot find any other
source of help. I've tried all the suggestions that were provided in
this thread previously, all to no avail. Any more reccomendations
will be most gratefully accepted. Thanks!

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:55:21 -0700, "Steve Silverwood [KB6OJS]"