From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Plan Ahead for Phase Out of 3G Cellular Networks and Service [telecom]
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:51:09 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Sun, 20 Feb 2022 13:51 UTC

This month is the "Drop Dead" point for AT&T's 3G cellular
networks. There are numerous fear-based stories circulating,
predicting the end of the world as we know it, loss of life, plagues
of locusts, and halitosis for those whom aren't willing to spend the
money needed to avoid the possibility of not being able to make the
cellular industry a few extra billion.

Here's a statement from the FCC:

+____________________________________________________________________+

If your mobile phone is more than a few years old, you may need to
upgrade your device before your mobile provider shuts down its 3G
network, to avoid losing service. For more information on your mobile
providers' plans for 3G retirement and how you can prepare, contact
your provider directly.

What is happening? Mobile carriers are shutting down their 3G
networks, which rely on older technology, to make room for more
advanced network services, including 5G. As a result, many older cell
phones will be unable to make or receive calls and texts, including
calls to 911, or use data services. This will affect 3G mobile phones
and certain older 4G mobile phones that do not support Voice over LTE
(VoLTE or HD Voice).

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/plan-ahead-phase-out-3g-cellular-networks-and-service

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)