From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: VPN report; Express VPN works, two others didn't.
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 00:35:21 +0300
 by: micky - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:35 UTC

I wanted to listen to a radio/tv stattion that I couldn't because I'm
not in the USA, and I tried VPN Super and NordVPN, and in each case I
chose one of their several or many locations in the USA, but it still
didn't work. Then I tried ExpressVPN on the laptop, and it includes VPN
for the phone. and it worked on both. It started off with Italy, which
did not work, but New Jersey works fine.

I can cancel within 30 days and get my money back but otherwise i think
it's $13/month. Cheaper per month for 6 or 12 months.

I would have thought that any VPN would work and that the differences
were about other things, ease of use or something.

It's nice not to be limited. On my previous trip I wanted to watch a
movie from some service my local US library subscribes to, and it too
said I was out of the region, and the one VPN I trie (on the laptop) did
not work. I didn't take the time to try others.

Re: VPN report; Express VPN works, two others didn't.

<t1t2ns$7mj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29684&group=comp.mobile.android#29684

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: VPN report; Express VPN works, two others didn't.
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:36:28 +0100
 by: Chris - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:36 UTC

On 27/03/2022 22:35, micky wrote:
> I wanted to listen to a radio/tv stattion that I couldn't because I'm
> not in the USA, and I tried VPN Super and NordVPN, and in each case I
> chose one of their several or many locations in the USA, but it still
> didn't work. Then I tried ExpressVPN on the laptop, and it includes VPN
> for the phone. and it worked on both. It started off with Italy, which
> did not work, but New Jersey works fine.
>
> I can cancel within 30 days and get my money back but otherwise i think
> it's $13/month. Cheaper per month for 6 or 12 months.
>
> I would have thought that any VPN would work and that the differences
> were about other things, ease of use or something.

Media providers are getting wise to VPNs and so are blocking IPs
associated with the bigger VPNs.

> It's nice not to be limited. On my previous trip I wanted to watch a
> movie from some service my local US library subscribes to, and it too
> said I was out of the region, and the one VPN I trie (on the laptop) did
> not work. I didn't take the time to try others.

Re: VPN report; Express VPN works, two others didn't.

<t1t463$1eho$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29685&group=comp.mobile.android#29685

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:01:16 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:01 UTC

Chris wrote:

> Media providers are getting wise to VPNs and so are blocking IPs
> associated with the bigger VPNs.

Hi Chris,

I doubt "micky" wants or needs an answer as I suspect it's just yet another
random question he pulled off the Internet for his own amusement perhaps.

However...
You are correct, where I simply wish to "add value" to your observation.

There is at least one "proposed" solution to that problem, but it requires
effort (it's an experimental approach run by an educational institution).
<https://www.vpngate.net/en/>

Works fine on Android/iPhone/iPad/Windows & Mac with the OpenVPN client:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.openvpn.openvpn>

It's an experimental approach to circumvent "censorship autocracies".
<https://www.vpngate.net/en/about.aspx>

But it "can" work just as well for our resident troll, "micky's" needs.
(micky is a few of the aliases on this group, including Bill Bradshaw.)

He's probably not smart enough to figure out how it works though, but for
others who are smart, I wrote up tutorials to use it many times on this ng.
--
A troll has to troll to be considered a troll, which micky does.

Re: VPN report; Express VPN works, two others didn't.

<t1t7oq$iea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29687&group=comp.mobile.android#29687

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:02:16 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:02 UTC

On 3/28/2022 12:36 PM, Chris wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 22:35, micky wrote:
>> I wanted to listen to a radio/tv stattion that I couldn't because I'm
>> not in the USA, and I tried VPN Super and NordVPN, and in each case I
>> chose one of their several or many locations in the USA, but it still
>> didn't work.  Then I tried ExpressVPN on the laptop, and it includes VPN
>> for the phone. and it worked on both.   It started off with Italy, which
>> did not work, but New Jersey works fine.
>>
>> I can cancel within 30 days and get my money back but otherwise i think
>> it's $13/month.  Cheaper per month for 6 or 12 months.
>>
>> I would have thought that any VPN would work and that the differences
>> were about other things, ease of use or something.
>
> Media providers are getting wise to VPNs and so are blocking IPs
> associated with the bigger VPNs.
>
>> It's nice not to be limited.  On my previous trip I wanted to watch a
>> movie from some service my local US library subscribes to, and it too
>> said I was out of the region, and the one VPN I trie (on the laptop) did
>> not work.  I didn't take the time to try others.

It's sometimes not just the VPN being set to a different place but also
spoofing the GPS location. Some of streaming services will look at the
location of the device and a VPN isn't sufficient. I ran into this a few
months ago trying to watch a college football (real football, not
soccer) game.

Just using a VPN in the area where the game was being broadcast didn't
work (using a DirecTV Stream account). Once I spoofed the GPS location
on my phone, to the region where the sporting event was being broadcast,
it worked fine. I then used a USB-C to HDMI cable to connect the phone
to the TV and put the phone on a wireless charger. I use Surfshark which
actually includes GPS spoofing.

Unfortunately, you can't do GPS spoofing on an iPhone (unless it's
jailbroken) but it's no problem to do it on Android, see #27a on page 22
in the document "33 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users
Wish they Had & 147 Android & Android Phone Which [many] iOS Users Wish
they Had" at <https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>.

Re: VPN report; Express VPN works, two others didn't.

<lt944hl5afeafmpcc5l784bee37jo7p5mn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29688&group=comp.mobile.android#29688

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:26:05 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:26 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:02:16 -0700, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>On 3/28/2022 12:36 PM, Chris wrote:
>> On 27/03/2022 22:35, micky wrote:
>>> I wanted to listen to a radio/tv stattion that I couldn't because I'm
>>> not in the USA, and I tried VPN Super and NordVPN, and in each case I
>>> chose one of their several or many locations in the USA, but it still
>>> didn't work.  Then I tried ExpressVPN on the laptop, and it includes VPN
>>> for the phone. and it worked on both.   It started off with Italy, which
>>> did not work, but New Jersey works fine.
>>>
>>> I can cancel within 30 days and get my money back but otherwise i think
>>> it's $13/month.  Cheaper per month for 6 or 12 months.
>>>
>>> I would have thought that any VPN would work and that the differences
>>> were about other things, ease of use or something.
>>
>> Media providers are getting wise to VPNs and so are blocking IPs
>> associated with the bigger VPNs.
>>
>>> It's nice not to be limited.  On my previous trip I wanted to watch a
>>> movie from some service my local US library subscribes to, and it too
>>> said I was out of the region, and the one VPN I trie (on the laptop) did
>>> not work.  I didn't take the time to try others.
>
>It's sometimes not just the VPN being set to a different place but also
>spoofing the GPS location. Some of streaming services will look at the
>location of the device and a VPN isn't sufficient. I ran into this a few
>months ago trying to watch a college football (real football, not
>soccer) game.
>
>Just using a VPN in the area where the game was being broadcast didn't
>work (using a DirecTV Stream account). Once I spoofed the GPS location
>on my phone, to the region where the sporting event was being broadcast,
>it worked fine. I then used a USB-C to HDMI cable to connect the phone
>to the TV and put the phone on a wireless charger. I use Surfshark which
>actually includes GPS spoofing.
>
>Unfortunately, you can't do GPS spoofing on an iPhone (unless it's
>jailbroken) but it's no problem to do it on Android, see #27a on page 22
>in the document "33 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users
>Wish they Had & 147 Android & Android Phone Which [many] iOS Users Wish
>they Had" at <https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>.

Very interesting. Complicated, however. I guess I'm lucky, happy, I
only had to change VPNs.

Re: VPN report; Express VPN works, two others didn't.

<t1tcir$vpb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29690&group=comp.mobile.android#29690

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:24:35 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 22:24 UTC

sms wrote:

> It's sometimes not just the VPN being set to a different place but also
> spoofing the GPS location. Some of streaming services will look at the
> location of the device and a VPN isn't sufficient. I ran into this a few
> months ago trying to watch a college football (real football, not
> soccer) game.

The free VPN I use has over six thousand servers, which are in a bunch of
countries, which allows random VPN all day, every day, if you want it.
<https://i.postimg.cc/15H889vH/spoofapk01.jpg> Spoof gps, phone, osversion

The GPS spoofer I use _also_ spoofs "wi-fi" (even if it's on cellular).
I openly admit I do not know _how_ it does that (or even what it means).
<https://i.postimg.cc/pdf8prL4/screenshot03.jpg> Spoof Wi-Fi Provider

In researching this response, since I illustrate what I say (which almost
nobody does on Usenet, so I don't believe most people) I realized my FOSS
Google Play Store client can also spoof the GPS location!
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZR25xq5Q/aurora03.jpg>

I didn't realize until just now that my Google Play Store client could spoof
the GPS location.

Thanks!