From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: OSMap spins in cricles
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 11:03:02 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 08:03 UTC

Get this. Driving a recent Citroen C3, with my phone set on Always
Portrait Mode.

Using OSMaps on the car's display, and using Google maps on the phone.

Normally North is up on OSM, but now, when I pick up tthe phone and tip
it or rotate it or change its attitude in any way, the map on the car
radio rotates. I can actually make it spin. Not only that, nothing on
the map indicates which way is north (unlike google which has a little
compass, and which you can tap to make up point to north). Maybe
because they didn't anticpate this happening.

Re: OSMap spins in cricles

<janrveFefbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29725&group=comp.mobile.android#29725

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: OSMap spins in cricles
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 09:38:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 08:38 UTC

micky wrote:

> Normally North is up on OSM, but now, when I pick up tthe phone and tip
> it or rotate it or change its attitude in any way, the map on the car
> radio rotates.

Before I had a car with android auto, I had a magnetic mounting with Qi charger
for my phone, when on the move google maps worked out the direction of travel
from GPS information, but when stationary it relied on the phone's magnetometer
so very easily got confused by the magnets, frequently spinning 180° and then
sorted itself out again after moving off ...

Re: OSMap spins in cricles

<jafe4h92o1ujp4vs49m289vdrntbmeram3@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29731&group=comp.mobile.android#29731

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 21:05:15 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:05 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 1 Apr 2022 09:38:05 +0100, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Normally North is up on OSM, but now, when I pick up tthe phone and tip
>> it or rotate it or change its attitude in any way, the map on the car
>> radio rotates.

It also did this when I was driving, when I turned a corner. Of course
turning the car changed the attitude of the phone plugged into it. I
could unplug the phone, to see if it still did it, but t hen I'd have no
map at all. But see my next paragraph.

>Before I had a car with android auto, I had a magnetic mounting with Qi charger
>for my phone, when on the move google maps worked out the direction of travel
>from GPS information, but when stationary it relied on the phone's magnetometer
>so very easily got confused by the magnets, frequently spinning 180° and then
>sorted itself out again after moving off ...

LOL My op was premature I guess, the kind a couple people have
complained about in another ng. It turns out 7 buttons appear on the
screen when you touch it when OSM is displaying. I have used 6 of them
but managed to ignore the 7th, which I learned a couple hours after I
poted sets the top of the map to North. I've had this car for 7 weeks
and never noticed that button before. or I saw it, decided I didn't need
it, and forgot I'd seen it. I forget a lot lately.

Some people want the direction they are going to be at the top of the
map. I guess that accounts for why South was on the top when I was
going south, but it just confused me. The road was curvy and the map
kept moving as I drove. .