From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Android and Directly Playing DVDs with a USB DVD Drive
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 18:36:23 -0700
 by: sms - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 01:36 UTC

I needed a new external DVD drive for my laptop and wondered if any were
available that would also work on Android phones and tablets. Sometimes
when we go on short overnight trips we want to bring along a movie
without the hassle of ripping a DVD to a file using Handbrake and then
transferring it to the phone (this process can easily take 45 minutes).
My old external DVD could be recognized by Android using the MLUSB
Mounter but only data discs and non-copy-protected ISO discs could be read.

There is apparently only one DVD drive that will work, the LG/Hitachi
Multi-OS DVD Writer GP96 <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N4SVKVF> which
comes with a USB-C cable so you don’t need a separate OTG adapter (also
comes with a USB-A cable). To use this drive to play DVDs you install
two apps, Disc Link Platinum
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.co.hlds.disclink.platinum>
and True DVD+
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smedio.hldsusbfree>.

My Android device could power the DVD drive just fine but some Android
phones might need a Y cable <https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QZGYHF2> and a
separate power adapter (which can also charge the phone). You could
also probably use a powered USB hub, one with HDMI would be good so you
could plug into a TV as well.

This drive also works with Windows and MacOS. No iOS or iPadOS support
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX4zl7WveE4>.

I added this information to the document, it's #148a on page 63.

✓ 33 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had ✓
✓ 148 Android & Android Phone Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish
they Had ✓

<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>

✓ 64 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations ✓