From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Ookla 5G coverage maps
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 00:01:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 23:01 UTC

Saw this link on the Apple newsgroup which applies to Android:
<https://www.speedtest.net/ookla-5g-map>

It's better than the FCC maps (which don't even have any 5G on them).
But in the boonies, it shows no coverage where it actually exists.

I looked for how the Ookla app gets its data & found two settings:
Ookla:Settings > Network Signal Scanning = on/off
"Help us improve our coverage maps by enabling
network signal scanning in the background.
Coverage data may be shared with third parties.
https://www.speedteset.net/mobile/android/network-signal/"

There is also a setting for "Analytics" but that's a separate issue:
Ookla:Settings > Analytics > Allow Speettset to collect advanced
analytics and crash reports = yes/no
--
Usenet is a team where every player tries to move the ball forward.

Re: Ookla 5G coverage maps

<t2fs0k$107p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29759&group=comp.mobile.android#29759

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: Ookla 5G coverage maps
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:38:23 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:38 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> Saw this link on the Apple newsgroup which applies to Android:
> <https://www.speedtest.net/ookla-5g-map>
>
> It's better than the FCC maps (which don't even have any 5G on them).
> But in the boonies, it shows no coverage where it actually exists.

By way of proof, here are my last 17 Ookla tests in the area on those
coverage maps which show no coverage and yet sometimes I get 5G coverage.
<https://i.postimg.cc/qR4BcjfM/speedtest19.jpg>

Do the Ookla 5G coverage maps show coverage accurately for where you live?