From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Easily User-Replaceable Batteries, by 2024, Mandated by EU
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:03:05 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 18:03 UTC

<https://www.droid-life.com/2022/04/04/phones-with-replaceable-batteries-primed-for-comeback-in-eu/>

Wonder if we'll see different phone models in different markets like we
already see with dual-SIM Androids and dual-SIM iPhones in some parts of
the world. User-replaceable batteries will create issues with IP67/IP68.

Re: Easily User-Replaceable Batteries, by 2024, Mandated by EU

<I5K2K.546709$7F2.409115@fx12.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29757&group=comp.mobile.android#29757

Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 18:15:04 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:15 UTC

On 2022-04-04 14:03, sms wrote:
> <https://www.droid-life.com/2022/04/04/phones-with-replaceable-batteries-primed-for-comeback-in-eu/>

Given how easy it is to replace batteries in iPhones, I don't care.
It's something needed (maybe) after 4 or 5 years.
If I don't want to do it myself, there's a shop about 5 minutes away
that will do it within 1 hour while I'm at Costco.

--
"Mr Speaker, I withdraw my statement that half the cabinet are asses -
half the cabinet are not asses."

Re: Easily User-Replaceable Batteries, by 2024, Mandated by EU

<t2g1hs$git$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29766&group=comp.mobile.android#29766

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 01:12:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 00:12 UTC

Alan Browne wrote:

> On 2022-04-04 14:03, sms wrote:
>> <https://www.droid-life.com/2022/04/04/phones-with-replaceable-batteries-primed-for-comeback-in-eu/>
>
> Given how easy it is to replace batteries in iPhones, I don't care.
> It's something needed (maybe) after 4 or 5 years.
> If I don't want to do it myself, there's a shop about 5 minutes away
> that will do it within 1 hour while I'm at Costco.

Just as almost all consumer electronics get faster better & cheaper over
time, Samsung is making it easier and easier to self repair your own phone.

They essentially copied Apple's repair-marketing strategy, it seems.
Even down to the marketing of pretending they care about the environment.

*Samsung and iFixit will help you self-repair your phone*
<https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-self-repair-3147112/>
"You'll be able to order genuine Samsung parts for phones/tablets
and then make the repairs yourself.

The South Korean electronics giant is partnering with iFixit
to make this service a reality. Through the service you'll be able
to order genuine Samsung parts to repair your phone or tablet.

Those parts will come with an empty box so you can ship back the
broken parts to Samsung. The company will then recycle them properly."
--
Samsung Announces Self-Repair Program In Collaboration With iFixit
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2022/04/samsung-announces-self-repair-program-in-collaboration-with-ifixit.html

Samsung Self Repair Program launched with iFixit
https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/samsung-self-repair-program-launched-with-ifixit-01-04-2022/

Samsung partners with iFixit for Self Repair option for its Galaxy devices
https://www.gizmochina.com/2022/04/01/samsung-ifixit-self-repair-option-for-galaxy-devices/

Re: Easily User-Replaceable Batteries, by 2024, Mandated by EU

<t2g1t9$8am$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29768&group=comp.mobile.android#29768

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 17:18:49 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 00:18 UTC

On 2022-04-04 3:15 p.m., Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2022-04-04 14:03, sms wrote:
>> <https://www.droid-life.com/2022/04/04/phones-with-replaceable-batteries-primed-for-comeback-in-eu/>
>

> Given how easy it is to replace batteries in iPhones, I don't care. It's
> something needed (maybe) after 4 or 5 years.
> If I don't want to do it myself, there's a shop about 5 minutes away
> that will do it within 1 hour while I'm at Costco.

Yup!

My iPhone 8 is... ...4 years old, I think.

And after hard use all that time, I think I should probably replace the
battery in the next little while.

That's going to cost me $65.

Not exactly a major impediment.

Re: Easily User-Replaceable Batteries, by 2024, Mandated by EU

<t2g3qm$13jb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29773&group=comp.mobile.android#29773

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:51:34 +1200
 by: Your Name - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 00:51 UTC

On 2022-04-05 00:18:49 +0000, Alan said:
> On 2022-04-04 3:15 p.m., Alan Browne wrote:
>> On 2022-04-04 14:03, sms wrote:
>>> <https://www.droid-life.com/2022/04/04/phones-with-replaceable-batteries-primed-for-comeback-in-eu/>
>>>

>> Given how easy it is to replace batteries in iPhones, I don't care.
>> It's something needed (maybe) after 4 or 5 years.
>> If I don't want to do it myself, there's a shop about 5 minutes away
>> that will do it within 1 hour while I'm at Costco.
>
> Yup!
>
> My iPhone 8 is... ...4 years old, I think.
>
> And after hard use all that time, I think I should probably replace the
> battery in the next little while.
>
> That's going to cost me $65.
>
> Not exactly a major impediment.

Most people these days upgrade to the latest new toy on the block well
before the battery needs replacing anyway. Being able to quickly and
easily *sawp* a flat battery for a full one would probably be more
useful.

All this nonsense about being able to easily fix mobile devices, etc.
is more about political grandstanding than any real average public need
/ want.

Re: Easily User-Replaceable Batteries, by 2024, Mandated by EU

<t2g4ki$mib$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29774&group=comp.mobile.android#29774

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 18:05:21 -0700
 by: Alan - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 01:05 UTC

On 2022-04-04 5:51 p.m., Your Name wrote:
> On 2022-04-05 00:18:49 +0000, Alan said:
>>>>

>>> Given how easy it is to replace batteries in iPhones, I don't care.
>>> It's something needed (maybe) after 4 or 5 years.
>>> If I don't want to do it myself, there's a shop about 5 minutes away
>>> that will do it within 1 hour while I'm at Costco.
>>
>> Yup!
>>
>> My iPhone 8 is... ...4 years old, I think.
>>
>> And after hard use all that time, I think I should probably replace
>> the battery in the next little while.
>>
>> That's going to cost me $65.
>>
>> Not exactly a major impediment.
>
> Most people these days upgrade to the latest new toy on the block well
> before the battery needs replacing anyway. Being able to quickly and
> easily *sawp* a flat battery for a full one would probably be more useful.

Faster and better for creating a device that remains watertight is using
an external battery pack...