From: usenetpo...@patandbrian.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Maximum file size
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 02:57:42 -0500
 by: Brian - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 07:57 UTC

I am running Agent 8 under Linux Mint 20 64-bit and WINE. According to
what I read on the Agent website, Agent 8 should have a file limit of
128 GB, and it should upgrade existing groups to that capacity when
they are empty. Well, I have one newsgroup which keeps returning a
'group is full' error. I've tried deleting all the messages in that
group. When that didn't work, I've tried deleting the group entirely
and resubscribing to it. Nothing works, I still get the 'group is
full' error, and when I do a directory listing of my Agent database
sorted by size, then sure enough, there is just one file there which
is a little under 8 GB.

Does anybody know of a way *which works* to get Agent to switch to the
128 GB maximum file size? Must I really uninstall Agent and then start
again from scratch, because I can't think of anything else to try at
the moment? There are many GB (TB, in fact) of free space on the drive
in question, it's *definitely not* a case of the drive being full. Is
there something in running via WINE which keeps Agent to a maximum of
8 GB per file?

Thanks,

Brian.
--
This message has been sent from an invalid address
Replace 'Usenetposting' with my name to reply by e-mail.

Re: Maximum file size

<na47pg97rbq3esijnkq8k7o7v89jo690jt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2977&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2977

From: not.in....@invalid.xor (lisa)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Maximum file size
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 12:11:25 +0100
 by: lisa - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 11:11 UTC

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 02:57:42 -0500, Brian wrote:

> Well, I have one newsgroup which keeps returning a
>'group is full' error. I've tried deleting all the messages in that
>group.

let's see if we can get the same error msg.
Which newsgroup gives that error?

Re: Maximum file size

<L8NkJ.104312$LNrd.35547@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2978&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2978

From: usenetpo...@patandbrian.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 07:06:03 -0500
 by: Brian - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 12:06 UTC

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 12:11:25 +0100, lisa <not.in.use@invalid.xor>
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 02:57:42 -0500, Brian wrote:
>
>> Well, I have one newsgroup which keeps returning a
>>'group is full' error. I've tried deleting all the messages in that
>>group.
>
>let's see if we can get the same error msg.
>Which newsgroup gives that error?

It's alt.binaries.dvd.music - but unless there is some other
limitation in addition to the file size, I honestly don't see that
it's worth your experimenting. The reason seems abundantly clear from
the testing I've done. The file associated with the group is a hair
under 8 GB. It simply isn't being extended up to the 128 GB limit
that's supposed to be available with Agent 8.

Brian.
--
This message has been sent from an invalid address
Replace 'Usenetposting' with my name to reply by e-mail.

Re: Maximum file size

<m4q7pg577rgchcsrd88vipfhde3n8hutvq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2979&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2979

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 07:10:41 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 16 Nov 2021 18:10 UTC

On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 02:57:42 -0500, Brian wrote:

> I am running Agent 8 under Linux Mint 20 64-bit and WINE. According to
> what I read on the Agent website, Agent 8 should have a file limit of
> 128 GB, and it should upgrade existing groups to that capacity when
> they are empty. Well, I have one newsgroup which keeps returning a
> 'group is full' error. I've tried deleting all the messages in that
> group. When that didn't work, I've tried deleting the group entirely
> and resubscribing to it. Nothing works, I still get the 'group is
> full' error, and when I do a directory listing of my Agent database
> sorted by size, then sure enough, there is just one file there which
> is a little under 8 GB.
>
> Does anybody know of a way *which works* to get Agent to switch to the
> 128 GB maximum file size? Must I really uninstall Agent and then start
> again from scratch, because I can't think of anything else to try at
> the moment? There are many GB (TB, in fact) of free space on the drive
> in question, it's *definitely not* a case of the drive being full. Is
> there something in running via WINE which keeps Agent to a maximum of
> 8 GB per file?

Checking here in Mint 20.2 + WINE 5.0.3, my Agent 00xxxxxx.DAT files
appear to be using the larger 2048-byte block size and not the older
512-byte block size (viewed in a hex viewer). But none of the DAT
files has anywhere near enough data for me to test the 8GB limit.

It might be worth checking, to see whether the problem is a failure
to convert to the larger 2048-byte block size, or a refusal to write
past 8GB even after converting.

[REF: <https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#C1AA20C11DC93B0D85257B8F00599ACB>]

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: Maximum file size

<PIilJ.108715$LNrd.8032@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2982&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2982

From: usenetpo...@patandbrian.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 21:17:18 -0500
 by: Brian - Thu, 18 Nov 2021 02:17 UTC

On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 07:10:41 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Nov 2021 02:57:42 -0500, Brian wrote:
>
>> I am running Agent 8 under Linux Mint 20 64-bit and WINE. According to
>> what I read on the Agent website, Agent 8 should have a file limit of
>> 128 GB, and it should upgrade existing groups to that capacity when
>> they are empty. Well, I have one newsgroup which keeps returning a
>> 'group is full' error. I've tried deleting all the messages in that
>> group. When that didn't work, I've tried deleting the group entirely
>> and resubscribing to it. Nothing works, I still get the 'group is
>> full' error, and when I do a directory listing of my Agent database
>> sorted by size, then sure enough, there is just one file there which
>> is a little under 8 GB.
>>
>> Does anybody know of a way *which works* to get Agent to switch to the
>> 128 GB maximum file size? Must I really uninstall Agent and then start
>> again from scratch, because I can't think of anything else to try at
>> the moment? There are many GB (TB, in fact) of free space on the drive
>> in question, it's *definitely not* a case of the drive being full. Is
>> there something in running via WINE which keeps Agent to a maximum of
>> 8 GB per file?
>

>Checking here in Mint 20.2 + WINE 5.0.3, my Agent 00xxxxxx.DAT files
>appear to be using the larger 2048-byte block size and not the older
>512-byte block size (viewed in a hex viewer). But none of the DAT
>files has anywhere near enough data for me to test the 8GB limit.
>

>It might be worth checking, to see whether the problem is a failure
>to convert to the larger 2048-byte block size, or a refusal to write
>past 8GB even after converting.
>

>[REF: <https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#C1AA20C11DC93B0D85257B8F00599ACB>]

Thanks, Ralph.

I can confirm that both the parameters are set to 1 in AGENT.INI.

I'll find a hex viewer and see whether I can get my head round reading
the output.

Brian.