It's not hard to admit errors that are [only] cosmetically wrong. -- J. K. Galbraith

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

SubjectAuthor
* What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?Andy Burns
|+- Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?Andy Burnelli
|`* Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?sms
| `- Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?Andy Burnelli
`* Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?Jeff Layman
 `- Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?Andy Burnelli

1
What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

<t1svkh$1a59$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29678&group=comp.mobile.android#29678

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:43:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:43 UTC

In a recent thread, people are attempting to download an app ostensibly for
wi-fi speed tests, where the basic question is what's a "good" free ad-free
wi-fi speed test app anyway?

Dunno. Lot's of apps run all sorts of Wi-Fi tests (e.g., signal strength
affects speed, as does frequency and noise levels from nearby AP's, etc.).
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z>

But what Wi-Fi speed tests are the most pertinent for a free app to run?
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcsyc4Vn/speedtest04.jpg> speed & noise & nearby APs

I guess there are _two_ obvious & direct tests one can run, which are:
a. Speed to and from your SOHO router (or perhaps another nearby device).
(that would probably indicate your maximum possible attainable speed)
b. Speed to and from a nearby Internet host
(that would probably indicate your maximum attained speed)

Most of my speed tests are via a browser URL or the adware "Okla" app.
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest>
But that's crapware (IMHO), because it has obnoxious ads taking over
(and it doesn't show signal strength or any nearby AP noise levels either)
<https://i.postimg.cc/4dDhFK5F/speedtest01.jpg>

It would be nice to find a _good_ (not obnoxious & useful) free ad-free
speedtest app on Android that gives us the appropriate speed information.

What free ad-free app do you use to obtain speeds that do _both_ tests?
1. Speed to a nearby device (such as your router)
2. Speed to any given host on the Internet (which most apps do)
And, possibly, which also give you:
3. Signal strength
4. Noise due to nearby AP's

All in a single app?
--
Usenet is an assemblage of purposefully helpful people teaching each other.

Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

<jaee7rF69ojU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29679&group=comp.mobile.android#29679

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:48:26 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 18:48 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> the basic question is what's a "good" free ad-free
> wi-fi speed test app anyway?

I either use the ookla app, or the speedof.me website, the latter can slightly
over-read

Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

<t1t1hd$7v7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29681&group=comp.mobile.android#29681

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:16:05 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:16 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

>> the basic question is what's a "good" free ad-free
>> wi-fi speed test app anyway?
>
> I either use the ookla app, or the speedof.me website, the latter can slightly
> over-read

Hi Andy,

Thanks for trying to help as most people don't bother to help on Usenet it
seems, but some do (but only the best of the best, of course).

I also use Okla, and I combined the Ookla app with Cellular-Z in my prior
screenshot - which also gives critical information about both cellular and
Wi-Fi nearby access points, noise levels, frequencies and signal strength.

Note this question is harder to answer than it may at first appear to be.
a. I asked about Wi-Fi but cellular would be the same (when on data)
b. While Celular-Z is not adware, Ookla is an obnoxious adware app (IMHO)
c. Worse, neither gives "maximum attainable speed" to/from your router

I'm not at all sure what the "most important" debug information is that's
needed, but I can list a whole bunch of things we can get which we don't
seem to (yet) have in a _single_ free ad-free app (as far as I know).

1. Wi-Fi speed (up/down/ping) between your phone and your home router
2. Wi-Fi & cellular speed between your phone & an Internet server
3. Wi-Fi & cellular frequency (which affects speed)
4. Received signal strength (both cellular and wi-fi)
5. Current noise levels (e.g., SNR)
6. Nearby noise sources (both cellular tower and wi-fi APs)
7. Cellular tower unique ID & Wi-Fi unique BSSID
etc.

I can get almost all of those with just two apps but Ookla is adware.
<https://i.postimg.cc/gcsyc4Vn/speedtest04.jpg>
But I don't (yet) know how to get #1 in that list above (do you?).

As see obtaining that problem set, there are _TWO_ problems I'm hoping
someone has already solved (or that we can all solve them working together).
A. Max possible speed (i.e., Wi-Fi speed to/from your phone & your router)
B. All of the above #1 to #7 on a single free ad-free obnoxious-free app
--
Usenet isn't for amusement; it's for learning from and teaching each other.

Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

<t1t6up$bva$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29686&group=comp.mobile.android#29686

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 13:48:22 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:48 UTC

On 3/28/2022 11:48 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>
>> the basic question is what's a "good" free ad-free
>> wi-fi speed test app anyway?
>
> I either use the ookla app, or the speedof.me website, the latter can
> slightly over-read

I use Ookla. Don't care about ads.

Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

<t1tc3d$qfe$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29689&group=comp.mobile.android#29689

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:16:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 22:16 UTC

sms wrote:

> I use Ookla. Don't care about ads.

I think we all use Ookla but it's not nearly enough.

It doesn't tell you, for example, the "maximum possible speed" which is the
speed from your phone to your home router (I am assuming that's the max).

I don't know offhand of an app that does that, but Ookla is also missing a
bunch of other things that Cellular-Z gives you (like signal strength).

So Ookla is what all of us use, but it's not nearly enough for good
debugging (IMHO).

We need something better.

Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

<t1uunt$5t6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29698&group=comp.mobile.android#29698

From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 13:40:28 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:40 UTC

On 28/03/2022 19:43, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> In a recent thread, people are attempting to download an app ostensibly for
> wi-fi speed tests, where the basic question is what's a "good" free ad-free
> wi-fi speed test app anyway?
>
> Dunno. Lot's of apps run all sorts of Wi-Fi tests (e.g., signal strength
> affects speed, as does frequency and noise levels from nearby AP's, etc.).
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=make.more.r2d2.cellular_z>
>
> But what Wi-Fi speed tests are the most pertinent for a free app to run?
> <https://i.postimg.cc/gcsyc4Vn/speedtest04.jpg> speed & noise & nearby APs
>
> I guess there are _two_ obvious & direct tests one can run, which are:
> a. Speed to and from your SOHO router (or perhaps another nearby device).
> (that would probably indicate your maximum possible attainable speed)
> b. Speed to and from a nearby Internet host
> (that would probably indicate your maximum attained speed)
>
> Most of my speed tests are via a browser URL or the adware "Okla" app.
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest>
> But that's crapware (IMHO), because it has obnoxious ads taking over
> (and it doesn't show signal strength or any nearby AP noise levels either)
> <https://i.postimg.cc/4dDhFK5F/speedtest01.jpg>
>
> It would be nice to find a _good_ (not obnoxious & useful) free ad-free
> speedtest app on Android that gives us the appropriate speed information.
>
> What free ad-free app do you use to obtain speeds that do _both_ tests?
> 1. Speed to a nearby device (such as your router)
> 2. Speed to any given host on the Internet (which most apps do)
> And, possibly, which also give you:
> 3. Signal strength
> 4. Noise due to nearby AP's
>
> All in a single app?

I have used Meteor:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=meteor.test.and.grade.internet.connection.speed&hl=en_GB&gl=US>

It's add-free, but whether or not it does much of what you want I don't
know.

--

Jeff

Re: What is a good app for wi-fi speed tests?

<t2fubn$1l0i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29761&group=comp.mobile.android#29761

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 00:18:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:18 UTC

Jeff Layman wrote:

> I have used Meteor:
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=meteor.test.and.grade.internet.connection.speed&hl=en_GB&gl=US>
>
> It's add-free, but whether or not it does much of what you want I don't
> know.

Wow. That's a nice app suggestion. The best suggestion (IMHO), so far!
<https://i.postimg.cc/66L724vh/speedtest20.jpg>

Thanks for that advice to use that ad free Speed Test 4G, 5G, WiFi
<https://www.gamingdeputy.com/meteor-the-useful-application-for-measuring-the-quality-of-your-internet-connection-updates-itself/>

I installed "Meteor" using the FOSS google play store client.
*Meteor*, by Opensignal (4.7, 5M+, free, adfree, not gsfree)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=meteor.test.and.grade.internet.connection.speed>

I can now begin to compare Meteor with Ookla test results as shown below.
<https://i.postimg.cc/qR4BcjfM/speedtest19.jpg>

I like that Meteor is ad free, which Ookla isn't.
I haven't been able to set the Meteor server though (is that possible?).
--
The great thing about Usenet is people work together to help everyone learn.