Your mode of life will be changed to ASCII.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?gfretwell
+* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Sailfish
|+* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?gfretwell
||`* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Ant
|| `* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?J. P. Gilliver (John)
||  `- Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Ant
|`* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Sailfish
|  `- Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Sailfish
+* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Ken Blake
|`* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?gfretwell
| `- Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Ken Blake
+* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Jeff Barnett
|+- Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?gfretwell
|`* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Jeff Barnett
|  `* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Ken Blake
|   `- Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?gfretwell
`* Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?Roger Blake
 `- Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?gfretwell

1
Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<7f1coghluv51fgk6gndshqiaiggajfjitb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2989&group=alt.windows7.general#2989

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 00:42:09 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 04:42 UTC

I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<sm53cr$nf1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2990&group=alt.windows7.general#2990

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:21:34 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 05:21 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com graced us with on 11/5/2021 9:42 PM:
> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.

I was successfully able to re-install my purchased version using by
retrieving the 25 alphanumeric Install Key using ShowKeyPlus but that
was a few years back. I had to call in but that was a robot and a simple
process.

ShowKeyPlus: https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases
Screenshot: /projectit.com/Public/ShowKeyPlus.jpg

YMMV

Cheers

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<555cog5n8bhet93hpa149b4i9j5isk6krl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2991&group=alt.windows7.general#2991

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 01:40:08 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 05:40 UTC

On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:21:34 -0700, Sailfish
<NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:

>gfretwell@aol.com graced us with on 11/5/2021 9:42 PM:
>> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
>> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
>> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
>> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
>> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
>> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
>> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
>> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
>> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.
>
>I was successfully able to re-install my purchased version using by
>retrieving the 25 alphanumeric Install Key using ShowKeyPlus but that
>was a few years back. I had to call in but that was a robot and a simple
>process.
>
>ShowKeyPlus: https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases
>Screenshot: /projectit.com/Public/ShowKeyPlus.jpg
>
>YMMV
>
>Cheers

I have the disk and the original key I was just wondering if they were
going to beat me up because the hardware profile changed. I will get
all of that together and call them Monday. Right now the machine is
many miles away.

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<6eKdnadJb8yUgRv8nZ2dnUU7-bWdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2992&group=alt.windows7.general#2992

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 01:09:13 -0500
 by: Ant - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 06:09 UTC

gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:21:34 -0700, Sailfish
> <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:

> >gfretwell@aol.com graced us with on 11/5/2021 9:42 PM:
> >> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
> >> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
> >> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
> >> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
> >> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
> >> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
> >> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
> >> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
> >> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.
> >
> >I was successfully able to re-install my purchased version using by
> >retrieving the 25 alphanumeric Install Key using ShowKeyPlus but that
> >was a few years back. I had to call in but that was a robot and a simple
> >process.
> >
> >ShowKeyPlus: https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases
> >Screenshot: /projectit.com/Public/ShowKeyPlus.jpg
> >
> >YMMV
> >
> >Cheers

> I have the disk and the original key I was just wondering if they were
> going to beat me up because the hardware profile changed. I will get
> all of that together and call them Monday. Right now the machine is
> many miles away.

I have seen Windows ask for reactivations with a HDD change! :/
--
Dang crazy life! :/
| |o o| |

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<CAugXV9TmohhFw3a@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2996&group=alt.windows7.general#2996

Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:56:35 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:56 UTC

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 01:09:13, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote (my
>gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:21:34 -0700, Sailfish
>> <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote:
>
>> >gfretwell@aol.com graced us with on 11/5/2021 9:42 PM:
[]
>> I have the disk and the original key I was just wondering if they were
>> going to beat me up because the hardware profile changed. I will get
>> all of that together and call them Monday. Right now the machine is
>> many miles away.

In theory, it depends whether it was an OEM install or a retail one; if
a retail one (and the fact that you have a disc _suggests_ it is, unless
it's one you've created, say from a download), it should be movable to
another machine: you need to call them because you didn't (because you
can't as it's dead) deactivate it on the old machine. If an OEM, then in
theory it's tied to the machine that died. Whether, as allegedly with
XP, they've become more tolerant since 7 ended support, I don't know;
accounts suggest they are moving that way.

(There's also I think an in-between version called a "System Builder"
one, but I'm unsure of the details of that.)

>I have seen Windows ask for reactivations with a HDD change! :/

There is the scheme by which even an OEM one allows some hardware
changes, to allow for enhancements and repairs; there are rules for how
much and how often you can change, but they are labyrinthine. The above
report doesn't surprise me!

to sing like an injured seagull takes real skill. - Andrew Collins on Meryl
Streep as Florence Foster Jenkins, RT 2018/8/4-10

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<GAsh399boohhFw3l@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2997&group=alt.windows7.general#2997

Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:58:51 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 13:58 UTC

On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 22:21:34, Sailfish
<NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote (my responses usually
follow points raised):
>gfretwell@aol.com graced us with on 11/5/2021 9:42 PM:
>> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
[]
>I was successfully able to re-install my purchased version using by
>retrieving the 25 alphanumeric Install Key using ShowKeyPlus but that
>was a few years back. I had to call in but that was a robot and a
>simple process.
[]
Did that have to have been run on the old machine before it died, or
could it be run on the old machine's HD (in a caddy or something)?

to sing like an injured seagull takes real skill. - Andrew Collins on Meryl
Streep as Florence Foster Jenkins, RT 2018/8/4-10

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<sm64vk$2lp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2998&group=alt.windows7.general#2998

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 07:54:49 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 14:54 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us with on 11/6/2021 6:58 AM:
> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 22:21:34, Sailfish
> <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote (my responses usually
> follow points raised):
>> gfretwell@aol.com graced us with on 11/5/2021 9:42 PM:
>>> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
> []
>> I was successfully able to re-install my purchased version using by
>> retrieving the 25 alphanumeric Install Key using ShowKeyPlus but that
>> was a few years back. I had to call in but that was a robot and a
>> simple process.
> []
> Did that have to have been run on the old machine before it died, or
> could it be run on the old machine's HD (in a caddy or something)?

When it's launched it displays the key(s) associated with the launched OS.

However, it also will display the key(s) from a backup.
//
Optionally, ShowKeyPlus can also retrieve your key from backup if you
have a Windows folder from the installation. It can also check that your
product key is valid with your edition of Windows.
//
More at:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/showkeyplus.html

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<sm65c1$50u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2999&group=alt.windows7.general#2999

From: NIXCAPSs...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com (Sailfish)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 08:01:28 -0700
 by: Sailfish - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 15:01 UTC

Sailfish graced us with on 11/6/2021 7:54 AM:
> J. P. Gilliver (John) graced us with on 11/6/2021 6:58 AM:
>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2021 at 22:21:34, Sailfish
>> <NIXCAPSsailfish@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> wrote (my responses usually
>> follow points raised):
>>> gfretwell@aol.com graced us with on 11/5/2021 9:42 PM:
>> []
>>> I was successfully able to re-install my purchased version using by
>>> retrieving the 25 alphanumeric Install Key using ShowKeyPlus but that
>>> was a few years back. I had to call in but that was a robot and a
>>> simple process.
>> []
>> Did that have to have been run on the old machine before it died, or
>> could it be run on the old machine's HD (in a caddy or something)?
>
> When it's launched it displays the key(s) associated with the launched OS.
>
> However, it also will display the key(s) from a backup.
> //
> Optionally, ShowKeyPlus can also retrieve your key from backup if you
> have a Windows folder from the installation. It can also check that your
> product key is valid with your edition of Windows.
> //
> More at:
> https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/showkeyplus.html

You may find Product KeyFinder of use, as well.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<iuno9pF2rveU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3000&group=alt.windows7.general#3000

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 09:20:08 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 16:20 UTC

On 11/5/2021 9:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.

Is this an OEM version of Windows (for example if it came pre-installed
on the computer, but OEM versions could also have been bought separately)?

If it is an OEM version, be aware that the biggest disadvantage of an
OEM version is that its license ties it permanently to the first
computer it's installed on. It can never legally be moved to another
computer, sold, or given away (except with the original computer). If
the computer dies or is stolen, your license dies with it.

--
Ken

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<5oddoghlujrbukckat698o026g9a1r2d5v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3001&group=alt.windows7.general#3001

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 13:10:45 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:10 UTC

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 09:20:08 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
wrote:

>On 11/5/2021 9:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
>> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
>> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
>> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
>> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
>> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
>> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
>> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
>> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.
>

>Is this an OEM version of Windows (for example if it came pre-installed
>on the computer, but OEM versions could also have been bought separately)?
>
>If it is an OEM version, be aware that the biggest disadvantage of an
>OEM version is that its license ties it permanently to the first
>computer it's installed on. It can never legally be moved to another
>computer, sold, or given away (except with the original computer). If
>the computer dies or is stolen, your license dies with it.

Retail version.

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<iunt2qF3lf5U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3002&group=alt.windows7.general#3002

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 10:41:46 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:41 UTC

On 11/6/2021 10:10 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 09:20:08 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On 11/5/2021 9:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>>> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
>>> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
>>> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
>>> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
>>> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
>>> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
>>> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
>>> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
>>> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.
>>

>>Is this an OEM version of Windows (for example if it came pre-installed
>>on the computer, but OEM versions could also have been bought separately)?
>>
>>If it is an OEM version, be aware that the biggest disadvantage of an
>>OEM version is that its license ties it permanently to the first
>>computer it's installed on. It can never legally be moved to another
>>computer, sold, or given away (except with the original computer). If
>>the computer dies or is stolen, your license dies with it.
>
> Retail version.

OK, good. Then ignore my comment.

--
Ken

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<sm73b9$7ns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3003&group=alt.windows7.general#3003

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:32:50 -0600
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 23:32 UTC

On 11/5/2021 10:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.

For what it's worth: I replaced my C hard disk with an SSD and the SSD
with a bigger one. I have also replace the graphics card and motherboard
(new is same model as old) since Win 7 was announced officially dead by
M$. In no case did I need to verify my system by phone or otherwise even
though it was an OEM license home build.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<n07eog5180dlpvj6ojld9ft0tcgnlgodo1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3004&group=alt.windows7.general#3004

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 20:23:15 -0400
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 00:23 UTC

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 17:32:50 -0600, Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com>
wrote:

>On 11/5/2021 10:42 PM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
>> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
>> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
>> If they just say no or say they have no support for it is there just a
>> registry hack I can do to get it to think it is OK?
>> I probably have another clean disk here but I don't really want to
>> screw with reloading it if I don't have to.
>> This is all strange to me. When XP dropped out of support they would
>> authorize anything that had a good 25 digit code.
>
>For what it's worth: I replaced my C hard disk with an SSD and the SSD
>with a bigger one. I have also replace the graphics card and motherboard
>(new is same model as old) since Win 7 was announced officially dead by
>M$. In no case did I need to verify my system by phone or otherwise even
>though it was an OEM license home build.

I suppose if I loaded the image of my old system and just fixed the
drivers it might work like that. If all else fails I will try that.

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<20211106213340@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3005&group=alt.windows7.general#3005

From: rogbl...@iname.invalid (Roger Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 01:35:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Roger Blake - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 01:35 UTC

On 2021-11-06, gfretwell@aol.com <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?

I've done it many times and the call amounts to having to punch in
a bunch of numbers into an automated system. I've seen the same
thing happen (internet activation failing) even when reinstalling
Windows 7 on the PC it came with.

18 Reasons I won't be vaccinated -- https://tinyurl.com/ebty2dx3
Covid vaccines: experimental biology -- https://tinyurl.com/57mncfm5
The fraud of "Climate Change" -- https://RealClimateScience.com
Don't talk to cops! -- https://DontTalkToCops.com

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<XJmdnYYAHpDEsxr8nZ2dnUU7-b-dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3006&group=alt.windows7.general#3006

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 20:39:37 -0500
 by: Ant - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 01:39 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 01:09:13, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote (my
> >gfretwell@aol.com wrote:

> []
> >> I have the disk and the original key I was just wondering if they were
> >> going to beat me up because the hardware profile changed. I will get
> >> all of that together and call them Monday. Right now the machine is
> >> many miles away.

> In theory, it depends whether it was an OEM install or a retail one; if
> a retail one (and the fact that you have a disc _suggests_ it is, unless
> it's one you've created, say from a download), it should be movable to
> another machine: you need to call them because you didn't (because you
> can't as it's dead) deactivate it on the old machine. If an OEM, then in

How do you deactivate the old working PC's W7 retail?
--
Dang crazy life! :/
| |o o| |

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<EnLROEPLEDihFwcB@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3024&group=alt.windows7.general#3024

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:03:23 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:03 UTC

On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 17:32:50, Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote (my
[]
>For what it's worth: I replaced my C hard disk with an SSD and the SSD
>with a bigger one. I have also replace the graphics card and
>motherboard (new is same model as old) since Win 7 was announced
>officially dead by M$. In no case did I need to verify my system by
>phone or otherwise even though it was an OEM license home build.

Unless they've just started not caring, which is possible, it would
depend on how fast you made those changes; you're allowed to change
hardware even on an OEM licence - to upgrade (e. g. RAM or drive size)
or to replace. It's just assumed that such changes will not happen too
often. I've heard of a "wipe the slate clean" period of 120 days being
mentioned, but know no details (or whether it's correct at all).

Abandon hope, all ye who <ENTER> here.

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<sm9d9b$3vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3027&group=alt.windows7.general#3027

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:34:49 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:34 UTC

On 11/7/2021 1:03 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 17:32:50, Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote (my
> []
>> For what it's worth: I replaced my C hard disk with an SSD and the SSD
>> with a bigger one. I have also replace the graphics card and
>> motherboard (new is same model as old) since Win 7 was announced
>> officially dead by M$. In no case did I need to verify my system by
>> phone or otherwise even though it was an OEM license home build.
>
> Unless they've just started not caring, which is possible, it would
> depend on how fast you made those changes; you're allowed to change
> hardware even on an OEM licence - to upgrade (e. g. RAM or drive size)
> or to replace. It's just assumed that such changes will not happen too
> often. I've heard of a "wipe the slate clean" period of 120 days being
> mentioned, but know no details (or whether it's correct at all).

The only no phone of the above that surprised me was installing a new
motherboard. That, at one time, was supposed to be the kiss of death
(i.e. when a M$ employee with raw meat lips comes and sucks your wallet
out of your pocket).

I sort of believe that M$ is ignoring the issue in almost every case
since there is a high risk to pissing off the wrong user -- one with
very deep pockets who might go to court as a hobby. Many of the changes
that were snuck into the system near end of Win7 life were borderline
illegal in my opinion. Opening that can of worms by not allowing system
"maintenance" might be a trigger for all sorts of bad outcomes for M$
and there is no reason to risk it given the simple alternative of
reluctant but minimal cooperation.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<iur015Fls85U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3033&group=alt.windows7.general#3033

From: ken...@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:50:29 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:50 UTC

On 11/7/2021 1:34 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> On 11/7/2021 1:03 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 17:32:50, Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote (my
>> []
>>> For what it's worth: I replaced my C hard disk with an SSD and the SSD
>>> with a bigger one. I have also replace the graphics card and
>>> motherboard (new is same model as old) since Win 7 was announced
>>> officially dead by M$. In no case did I need to verify my system by
>>> phone or otherwise even though it was an OEM license home build.
>>
>> Unless they've just started not caring, which is possible, it would
>> depend on how fast you made those changes; you're allowed to change
>> hardware even on an OEM licence - to upgrade (e. g. RAM or drive size)
>> or to replace. It's just assumed that such changes will not happen too
>> often. I've heard of a "wipe the slate clean" period of 120 days being
>> mentioned, but know no details (or whether it's correct at all).
>
> The only no phone of the above that surprised me was installing a new
> motherboard. That, at one time, was supposed to be the kiss of death
> (i.e. when a M$ employee with raw meat lips comes and sucks your wallet
> out of your pocket).

No, that's not correct, except for OEM versions. For retail versions,
you can replace anything you want, even the whole computer.

--
Ken

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<hjlgog54pgkocfvlhief0k5fna6d6cgcim@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3037&group=alt.windows7.general#3037

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 17:43:59 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 22:43 UTC

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 01:35:08 -0000 (UTC), Roger Blake
<rogblake@iname.invalid> wrote:

>On 2021-11-06, gfretwell@aol.com <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
>> I have a W/7 home premium disk that was on a machine that bit the dust
>> and I installed it on another one. Microsoft says it can't be
>> activated online and I have to call. How is that call going to go?
>
>I've done it many times and the call amounts to having to punch in
>a bunch of numbers into an automated system. I've seen the same
>thing happen (internet activation failing) even when reinstalling
>Windows 7 on the PC it came with.

That is what happened. I talked to the chatty cathy, punched in a
bunch of numbers and it activated. Thanks.

Re: Anyone try to transfer a W/7 license to another machine?

<l82hog512as9v9lkm1pu7enop9b9n49qen@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3041&group=alt.windows7.general#3041

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 21:25:38 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 02:25 UTC

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:50:29 -0700, Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com>
wrote:

>On 11/7/2021 1:34 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> On 11/7/2021 1:03 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>> On Sat, 6 Nov 2021 at 17:32:50, Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote (my
>>> []
>>>
>>> Unless they've just started not caring, which is possible, it would
>>> depend on how fast you made those changes; you're allowed to change
>>> hardware even on an OEM licence - to upgrade (e. g. RAM or drive size)
>>> or to replace. It's just assumed that such changes will not happen too
>>> often. I've heard of a "wipe the slate clean" period of 120 days being
>>> mentioned, but know no details (or whether it's correct at all).
>>
>> The only no phone of the above that surprised me was installing a new
>> motherboard. That, at one time, was supposed to be the kiss of death
>> (i.e. when a M$ employee with raw meat lips comes and sucks your wallet
>> out of your pocket).
>

>No, that's not correct, except for OEM versions. For retail versions,
>you can replace anything you want, even the whole computer.

Once I got on the phone with Chatty Cathy all I did was enter the 48
digit series and she gave me a responding 48 digit series to enter.
She said to save that code, I could use it again. I copied the screen.
This was a totally different machine.