Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:22:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Agent Can't See "My PC" - Neither My Drives Nor Subfolders When
Saving Attachments
From: dennislu...@gmail.com (Dennis Lusis)
 by: Dennis Lusis - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 18:22 UTC

I don't know when this problem first began. When I right click on an attachment the "Save All Attachments" window opens correctly and the "Destination Folder" text box is showing the last folder I used, which is on my E: hard drive (this is my data drive).

But, when I click on "Browse" to change the destination folder, the Microsoft file explorer window opens and I can see my desktop, my username, and all subfolders beneath the user name. HOWEVER, I cannot see "This PC," which is where I would normally see all of my drives, including my "C" (boot) drive and also my "E"" data drive - where I wish to save the attachments.

I have checked carefully to see if "My PC" was hidden underneath one of the subfolders, but it is not there, period! The last time I used Agent I could obviously access my data drive and its subfolders, since that is the current destination folder when I try to save any attachments. I have not changed any of the settings since the last time I used Agent. Perhaps a recent Windows update has caused this inability to see the root directory?

Please help!!!

Thanks!

Re: Agent Can't See "My PC" - Neither My Drives Nor Subfolders When Saving Attachments

<u3gjqg9q7i0rkl00g2h90bifspslksn2cu@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2993&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#2993

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: Agent Can't See "My PC" - Neither My Drives Nor Subfolders When Saving Attachments
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 20:25:06 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 07:25 UTC

On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 10:22:15 -0800 (PST), Dennis Lusis wrote:

> I don't know when this problem first began. When I right click on an
> attachment the "Save All Attachments" window opens correctly and the
> "Destination Folder" text box is showing the last folder I used,
> which is on my E: hard drive (this is my data drive).
>
> But, when I click on "Browse" to change the destination folder, the
> Microsoft file explorer window opens and I can see my desktop, my
> username, and all subfolders beneath the user name. HOWEVER, I
> cannot see "This PC," which is where I would normally see all of my
> drives, including my "C" (boot) drive and also my "E"" data drive -
> where I wish to save the attachments.
>
> I have checked carefully to see if "My PC" was hidden underneath one
> of the subfolders, but it is not there, period! The last time I used
> Agent I could obviously access my data drive and its subfolders,
> since that is the current destination folder when I try to save any
> attachments. I have not changed any of the settings since the last
> time I used Agent. Perhaps a recent Windows update has caused this
> inability to see the root directory?

The "Browse for Folder" window is a little piece of Windows File
Explorer, and will be using Windows File Explorer settings which are
generally in the Windows Registry.

If you do see "This PC" in the left pane of Windows File Explorer, but
it is not showing in Agent's "Browse for Folder" window, then this
might possibly be because:

1) You are running 64-bit Windows;
2) The settings for 64-bit Windows File Explorer are OK;
3) Agent is a 32-bit program and the "Browse for Folder" window
will be 32-bit also, using the 32-bit settings.

In which case, take a look at this thread in Microsoft Answers, and
especially at step 10 of the answer. The Registry settings under
"Wow6432Node" are for 32-bit programs running on 64-bit Windows.
<https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-wont-show-up-in-windows-explorer/ca836c6b-195c-479d-af07-3328c51c30ad>

Also a similar answer here:
<https://superuser.com/questions/1352506/this-pc-is-gone-from-my-file-explorer-navigation-pane-and-is-empty-when-i-view-i>

Disclaimer: I have not tried these myself.

--
Kind regards
Ralph