Measure twice, cut once.

computers / comp.mobile.ipad / Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

SubjectAuthor
* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
+* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedAlan
|`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedAlan Browne
| `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  +- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped*Hemidactylus*
|  +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  | +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  | |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  | | `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  | |  `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  | |   `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  | |    `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  | `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |  +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  | +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  | |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  | | `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  | `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedAlan
|  |  +- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedAlan
|  |  +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  |+* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  ||`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedcandycanearter07
|  |  || `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  |+* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedcandycanearter07
|  |  ||`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  || `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |  ||  `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  ||   `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |  ||    `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  ||     `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |  |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |  | +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  | |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  | | `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  | +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedAlan
|  |  | |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |  | | `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedAlan
|  |  | `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |  |  `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |  `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedcandycanearter07
|  |   `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |    +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |    |`* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |    | `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |    |  `* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  |    |   `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJolly Roger
|  |    `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedcandycanearter07
|  +* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedDorper
|  |`- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedWally J
|  `- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedcandycanearter07
+* Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedJörg Lorenz
|`- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has droppedAlan
`- Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped*Hemidactylus*

Pages:123
Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufkhim$kcbu$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2995&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2995

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:22:47 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:22 UTC

*Hemidactylus* <ecphoric@allspamis.invalid> wrote

> Time for the resident troll to circle jerk with his sock drawer.

You hate me, Hemidactyulus... *because you fear me*.
You fear all facts about Apple products, Hemidactylus. Don't you.

So be it.

You fear anyone who informs you of the truth about Apple products.

Your entire goal in life - is to remain ignorant of the truth.
By me bringing the truth to you - I ruin your pleasant life.

So be it.

My goal is to bring an adult conversation to these child-like Apple
newsgroups in terms of the truth behind what Apple says & what they do.

What's no longer shocking is how deathly afraid low-IQ uneducated ignorant
religious-zealot iKooks are of the simple truths about Apple products.

a. Apple fucked up with the defective iPhone 15 product line;
b. Apple forgot to test the defective iPhone 15 product line;
c. When Apple was forced to test the defective iPhone 15 product line,
Apple found multiple and rather embarrassingly diverse causative bugs.

Worse... Apple has blamed everyone but Apple for the defective iPhones.

That's the truth, right?
*Why are you so deathly _afraid_ of those simple truths, Hemidactylus?*

What is going to be interesting, for adults to ponder, is how Apple reduced
performance since we know Apple's laywers have already couched that fact.

A. Apple publicly said they'll try to limit the *long-term* impact;
B. Apple said they'll try to not limit the *top performance* impact;
C. And Apple said there won't be an *A17 Pro chip performance* reduction.

That's the truth, right?
*Why are you so deathly _afraid_ of these simple truths, Hemidactylus?*
--
My goal is to bring an adult conversation to these child-like Apple
newsgroups in terms of the truth behind what Apple says & what they do.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufklru$h60i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=2999&group=comp.mobile.ipad#2999

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:35:58 -0700
 by: Alan - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:35 UTC

On 2023-10-04 13:22, Wally J wrote:
> *Hemidactylus* <ecphoric@allspamis.invalid> wrote
>
>> Time for the resident troll to circle jerk with his sock drawer.
>
> You hate me, Hemidactyulus... *because you fear me*.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

<f_kTM.197$w4ec.85@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3001&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3001

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: bitbuc...@blackhole.com (Alan Browne)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:41:31 -0400
 by: Alan Browne - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:41 UTC

On 2023-10-04 17:35, Alan wrote:
> [...]
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
> LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Not nearly enough LOL's. Do try harder.

--
“Markets can remain irrational longer than your can remain solvent.”
- John Maynard Keynes.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufkq5m$kree$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3002&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3002

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:49:27 -0400
 by: Wally J - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:49 UTC

Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote

> Not nearly enough LOL's. Do try harder.

It's no longer shocking how much you ignorant iKooks fear the truth.

Did you know what else is in this 17.0.3 release?
It's big.

Really big.

Hint: No smartphone OS is anywhere nearly as insecure as iOS is.
(hackers don't even need to be within a thousand miles of your phone to
completely and fully take it over any time they want to - for years!)

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<eiGdnUpFb5loc4D4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3003&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3003

Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: ecpho...@allspamis.invalid (*Hemidactylus*)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 23:02:13 +0000
 by: *Hemidactylus* - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:02 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
>> Not nearly enough LOL's. Do try harder.
>
> It's no longer shocking how much you ignorant iKooks fear the truth.
>
> Did you know what else is in this 17.0.3 release?
> It's big.
>
> Really big.
>
> Hint: No smartphone OS is anywhere nearly as insecure as iOS is.
> (hackers don't even need to be within a thousand miles of your phone to
> completely and fully take it over any time they want to - for years!)

Elmer FUD.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<0001HW.2ACE2E5C002552157000006342CF@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3004&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3004

From: use...@dorper.me (Dorper)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.ipad, comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 16:35:56 -0700
 by: Dorper - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:35 UTC

On Oct 4, 2023, Wally J wrote
(in article <ufkq5m$kree$1@paganini.bofh.team>):

> hackers don't even need to be within a thousand miles of your phone to
> completely and fully take it over any time they want to - for years!

> A local attacker may be able to elevate their privileges. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited against versions of iOS
before iOS 16.6.

Wally would you mind explaining what the word "local" means?

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<0001HW.2ACE2F23002580C57000006342CF@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3005&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3005

From: use...@dorper.me (Dorper)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.ipad, comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 16:39:15 -0700
 by: Dorper - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:39 UTC

On Oct 4, 2023, Wally J wrote
(in article <ufkq5m$kree$1@paganini.bofh.team>):

> Alan Browne <bitbucket@blackhole.com> wrote
>
> > Not nearly enough LOL's. Do try harder.
>
> It's no longer shocking how much you ignorant iKooks fear the truth.
>
> Did you know what else is in this 17.0.3 release?
> It's big.
>
> Really big.
>
> Hint: No smartphone OS is anywhere nearly as insecure as iOS is.
> (hackers don't even need to be within a thousand miles of your phone to
> completely and fully take it over any time they want to - for years!)

In other news, Android has released it's latest security update:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/android-october-security-
update-fixes-zero-days-exploited-in-attacks/
Including fixes for "54 unique vulnerabilities, including two known to be
actively exploited." Of the 54 fixes concerning Android 11 through 13, five
are rated critical, and two concern remote code execution problems.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl31t$pscb$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3007&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3007

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:21:02 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:21 UTC

Dorper <usenet@dorper.me> wrote

>> hackers don't even need to be within a thousand miles of your phone to
>> completely and fully take it over any time they want to - for years!
>
>> A local attacker may be able to elevate their privileges.
>> Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively
>> exploited against versions of iOS before iOS 16.6.
>
> Wally would you mind explaining what the word "local" means?

You're right! I made a minor mistake - but it's a mistake nonetheless.
And you caught it.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Wow. An intelligent person on the Apple newsgroup.
Now that's a shock.

I'm not used to people like you on the Apple newsgroups, Dorper.
"The zero-day (CVE-2023-42824) is caused by a weakness discovered
in the XNU kernel that enables *local* attackers to escalate
privileges on unpatched iPhones and iPads."

"The list of impacted devices is quite extensive, and it includes:
iPhone XS and later, plus
iPad Pro 12.9-inch 2nd generation and later, plus
iPad Pro 10.5-inch, iPad Pro 11-inch 1st generation and later, plus
iPad Air 3rd generation and later, plus
iPad 6th generation and later, plus
and iPad mini 5th generation and later"

Kudos to you for being able to comprehend at the adult detail level!
(All the iKooks ever do is deny every fact about Apple ever existing.)
<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/apple/apple-emergency-update-fixes-new-zero-day-used-to-hack-iphones/>

I agree with you (as I never disagree with any sensible statement).
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213961>

You're completely correct that I was referring to the long-exploited
security hole in iOS before 16.6 to now - which was a "local" exploit!

Everything I said was correct _except_ for the thousand miles in
that one case - but let's look at the other zero-days in this release.
libvpx 1.13.1 [CVE-2023-5217]
"Apple also addressed a zero-day tracked as CVE-2023-5217
and caused by a heap buffer overflow weakness in the VP8 encoding
of the open-source libvpx video codec library."

Notice iOS has two to three times the number of zero-day holes than
does Android - and more than ten times the active exploits...
"17 zero-days exploited in attacks fixed this year"

Where the main reason iOS is so incredibly insecure is mostly due to
the primitive monolithic release mechanism that only Apple uses.

Nobody. Nobody at all. Nobody else who makes an OS uses the primitive
monolithic system that Apple uses - and all support more than 1 release!

Because of that, Apple will _always_ have the least secure devices
(because it gives attackers tons & tons of time to attack - that's why).
--
My job on the child-like Apple newsgroups is to bring up the truth
and to show the ignorant low-IQ uneducated iKooks for what they are.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl3ln$pt7b$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3008&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3008

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:31:36 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:31 UTC

Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote

> Wow. An intelligent person on the Apple newsgroup.
> Now that's a shock.
>
> I'm not used to people like you on the Apple newsgroups, Dorper.
> "The zero-day (CVE-2023-42824) is caused by a weakness discovered
> in the XNU kernel that enables *local* attackers to escalate
> privileges on unpatched iPhones and iPads."

Since I almost never make a mistake in facts (it's almost unheard of),
I instantly updated the canonical thread - kindly opened by badgolferman.

*Updating the "wrong - by badgolferman" thread from May 29, 2019*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/Pg9fi_sV3CU/m/Rmw_xq74CQAJ>

Since I'm an extremely well educated sensibly logical adult, I back up
my statements with cites and references as I try to speak only facts.

Lambaste me if I ever disagree with a fact - only fools disagree with facts
- that's _why_ they are fools - and likewise you can deprecate me if I ever
disagree with a sensible logical statement which is an assessment of facts.

Only fools (or iKooks) do that (e.g., Alan Browne's "What walled garden?").
Not extremely well-educated rather intelligent sensibly logical adults.
Which I am.
--
My job on the child-like Apple newsgroups is to bring up the truth
and to show the ignorant low-IQ uneducated iKooks for what they are.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<0001HW.2ACE4AF9002C06E27000006342CF@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3009&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3009

From: use...@dorper.me (Dorper)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone, comp.mobile.ipad, comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 18:38:01 -0700
 by: Dorper - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:38 UTC

On Oct 4, 2023, Wally J wrote
(in article <ufl31t$pscb$1@paganini.bofh.team>):

> Everything I said was correct _except_ for the thousand miles in
> that one case - but let's look at the other zero-days in this release.
> libvpx 1.13.1 [CVE-2023-5217]
> "Apple also addressed a zero-day tracked as CVE-2023-5217
> and caused by a heap buffer overflow weakness in the VP8 encoding
> of the open-source libvpx video codec library."

I wonder who makes libvpx... Could it be Google? Oh it is Google! I wonder
what contains libvpx as a dependency, oh it's Chrome!
https://www.rezilion.com/blog/the-cve-2023-5217-deja-vu-another-actively-
exploited-chrome-vulnerability-affecting-a-webm-project-library-libvpx/
You know, the web browser that ships with every Android phone.

> Notice iOS has two to three times the number of zero-day holes than
> does Android - and more than ten times the active exploits...
> "17 zero-days exploited in attacks fixed this year"

The term zero-day doesn't mean anything. Any security flaw that isn't
intentionally put in there is a zero-day. You can go check the NVD and you
will see that the # of CVEs for Android is higher than the # of CVEs for iOS.
I don't know where you are getting this "3x" number from.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ko6ih9F8intU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3010&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3010

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 5 Oct 2023 01:40:57 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:40 UTC

On 2023-10-05, Dorper <usenet@dorper.me> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2023, Wally J wrote
> (in article <ufl31t$pscb$1@paganini.bofh.team>):
>
>> Everything I said was correct _except_ for the thousand miles in that
>> one case - but let's look at the other zero-days in this release.
>> libvpx 1.13.1 [CVE-2023-5217] "Apple also addressed a zero-day
>> tracked as CVE-2023-5217 and caused by a heap buffer overflow
>> weakness in the VP8 encoding of the open-source libvpx video codec
>> library."
>
> I wonder who makes libvpx... Could it be Google? Oh it is Google! I
> wonder what contains libvpx as a dependency, oh it's Chrome!
> https://www.rezilion.com/blog/the-cve-2023-5217-deja-vu-another-actively-
> exploited-chrome-vulnerability-affecting-a-webm-project-library-libvpx/
> You know, the web browser that ships with every Android phone.

LOL! Arlen is such a clown. 🤣

JR

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl4bq$kinp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3011&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3011

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:43:23 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:43 UTC

Dorper <usenet@dorper.me> wrote

>> Hint: No smartphone OS is anywhere nearly as insecure as iOS is.
>> (hackers don't even need to be within a thousand miles of your phone to
>> completely and fully take it over any time they want to - for years!)
>
> In other news, Android has released it's latest security update:
>
> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/android-october-security-
> update-fixes-zero-days-exploited-in-attacks/
> Including fixes for "54 unique vulnerabilities, including two known to be
> actively exploited." Of the 54 fixes concerning Android 11 through 13, five
> are rated critical, and two concern remote code execution problems.

It's classic for Apple users to blame everyone but Apple for the flaws in
Apple devices. It's called "whataboutism" & only Apple users do it.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism>

I know exactly why you used whataboutism to defend against Apple's flaw.
I wonder if you do?

Probably not.
Let's just say that only Apple people do what you just did, Dorper.

Adults don't do it. Specifically...

You'll _never_ see someone on Android doing what you just did, Dorper.
Nor on Windows newsgroups.

Only Apple newsgroups.
Where almost every "excuse" for Apple's flaws is whataboutism incarnate.

This "whataboutism" of blaming everyone but Apple _starts with Apple_
and it's a hallmark of Apple users to blame others for Apple's flaws.

*Why don't we look at the zero-day holes in iOS*, Dorper.
Shall we?

I get it you are desperate to defend Apple's honor, but then you must know
how many zero-day bugs Apple had this year (and every year!) compared to
Android, right?

No?
You don't know?

Hmmmm.... classic.

Here... allow me to help you to think logically & sensibly, OK?

What you're _not_ saying is that iOS has had 17 zero-days this year alone -
which is something like two to three times the zero-days of Android last we
checked (since this happens every year).

By definition, a zero day is a bug that Apple forgot to find in testing.
Right?

So that's two to three times (every year - year after year) that Apple's
iOS has zero-day holes that Apple forgot to find in their iOS 'testing'.

HINT: That's a lot!

Why... might you ask... is iOS always two to three times less secure?
I (think I) know why.

Do you?
--
Note: We've already discussed that this doesn't even count the _exploited_
zero days, where you dispute that iOS has _ten times_ the active exploits!

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ko6imdF8intU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3012&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3012

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 5 Oct 2023 01:43:42 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:43 UTC

On 2023-10-05, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:

> I almost never make a mistake in facts (it's almost unheard of)
> I'm an extremely well educated sensibly logical adult
> I try to speak only facts
> Not extremely well-educated rather intelligent sensibly logical adults.
> Which I am.

The lady doth protest too much, me thinks. 🙂

JR

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl4pk$jbp3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3017&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3017

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:50:43 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:50 UTC

On 2023-10-04 18:38, Dorper wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2023, Wally J wrote
> (in article <ufl31t$pscb$1@paganini.bofh.team>):
>
>> Everything I said was correct _except_ for the thousand miles in
>> that one case - but let's look at the other zero-days in this release.
>> libvpx 1.13.1 [CVE-2023-5217]
>> "Apple also addressed a zero-day tracked as CVE-2023-5217
>> and caused by a heap buffer overflow weakness in the VP8 encoding
>> of the open-source libvpx video codec library."
>
> I wonder who makes libvpx... Could it be Google? Oh it is Google! I wonder
> what contains libvpx as a dependency, oh it's Chrome!
> https://www.rezilion.com/blog/the-cve-2023-5217-deja-vu-another-actively-
> exploited-chrome-vulnerability-affecting-a-webm-project-library-libvpx/
> You know, the web browser that ships with every Android phone.
>
>> Notice iOS has two to three times the number of zero-day holes than
>> does Android - and more than ten times the active exploits...
>> "17 zero-days exploited in attacks fixed this year"
>
> The term zero-day doesn't mean anything. Any security flaw that isn't
> intentionally put in there is a zero-day. You can go check the NVD and you
> will see that the # of CVEs for Android is higher than the # of CVEs for iOS.
> I don't know where you are getting this "3x" number from.

His very fertile, Apple-hating imagination of course!

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl6l6$o5l3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3018&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3018

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:22:31 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:22 UTC

Dorper <usenet@dorper.me> wrote

> I wonder who makes libvpx... Could it be Google? Oh it is Google! I wonder
> what contains libvpx as a dependency, oh it's Chrome!
> https://www.rezilion.com/blog/the-cve-2023-5217-deja-vu-another-actively-
> exploited-chrome-vulnerability-affecting-a-webm-project-library-libvpx/
> You know, the web browser that ships with every Android phone.

Doesn't matter to my point which is that iOS had the zero-day hole
which Apple didn't know about until someone else (Google it was!)
told Apple about it.

The point is not any one hole but the fact Apple has two to three times the
zero-day holes for mainly one reason and mainly that one reason alone.

Do you know why Apple has two to three times the zero-day holes Dorper?
I do.

>> Notice iOS has two to three times the number of zero-day holes than
>> does Android - and more than ten times the active exploits...
>> "17 zero-days exploited in attacks fixed this year"
>
> The term zero-day doesn't mean anything.

WTF? It means it was completely unknown to Apple at the time it was
reported to Apple - which - by definition - means Apple didn't find it.

If we look at the number of zero-day holes for iOS this year, it's 17.
Compare that to the zero-day holes in Android, Dorper.

And then tell me why Apple's iOS zero-day holes are so much higher?

HINT: Think about the primitive release mechanism that only iOS uses.

> Any security flaw that isn't intentionally put in there is a zero-day.

This is wrong. No wonder you don't understand a word I've been saying.
If Apple _finds_ the bug, it's _not_ a zero-day bug, Dorper.

That's the whole point of being "day zero" for God's sake.
You need to understand that if you're going to dispute facts about Apple.

Before you respond to my adult intelligently written post, please do this.
<https://duckduckgo.com/?&q=what+is+a+zero-day+bug>

Pick any one of the results & _read_ it before you respond further to me.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-day_(computing)>
<https://www.csoonline.com/article/565704/zero-days-explained-how-unknown-vulnerabilities-become-gateways-for-attackers.html>

The *most important* attribute of those zero-day holes in iOS is that
those zero days are never caught by Apple by definition - all 17 of the
zero-day holes this year in iOS were _told_ to Apple by other people.

That's how zero day holes work.
That means "someone else" caught them first.

What it means is hackers have more time to exploit them as they're not just
"regular bugs" that Apple catches in the normal Apple QA testing process.

> You can go check the NVD and you
> will see that the # of CVEs for Android is higher than the # of CVEs for iOS.
> I don't know where you are getting this "3x" number from.

Keep in mind the difference between a bug and a zero-day bug.
They're not the same as what matters is who caught them first.
Insiders or outsiders.

When outsiders catch them - that's really bad.
And Apple has two to three times the bugs that Apple doesn't catch.

Outsiders do.
And that's bad.

Because that's why iOS is exploited more than ten times that of Android.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl6s7$o6om$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3019&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3019

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:26:16 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:26 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

> such a clown

Have you ever posted something that an adult would be proud of, JR?

While Dorper is confused about the difference between a zero-day bug and a
regular bug - you have added absolutely no value to this thread topic.

In fact, your childish comments are of uneducated low-IQ negative value.

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl6u0$o706$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3020&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3020

From: walterjo...@invalid.nospam (Wally J)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:27:13 -0400
 by: Wally J - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:27 UTC

Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote

> The lady doth protest

Will you ever post a comment that is befitting an adult, Jolly Roger?

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ko6l8jF8intU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3021&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3021

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 5 Oct 2023 02:27:31 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:27 UTC

On 2023-10-05, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> such a clown
>
> Blah blah blah blah

Cry harder, Arlen.

JR

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ko6laaF8intU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3022&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3022

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 5 Oct 2023 02:28:26 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:28 UTC

On 2023-10-05, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> The lady doth protest
>
> Blah blah blah blah

"WAHHHHH!!!! He huwt my feewings!" 🤣

JR

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ko6lceF8intU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3023&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3023

From: jollyro...@pobox.com (Jolly Roger)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 5 Oct 2023 02:29:34 GMT
 by: Jolly Roger - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:29 UTC

On 2023-10-05, Wally J <walterjones@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> Dorper <usenet@dorper.me> wrote
>
>> I wonder who makes libvpx... Could it be Google? Oh it is Google! I wonder
>> what contains libvpx as a dependency, oh it's Chrome!
>> https://www.rezilion.com/blog/the-cve-2023-5217-deja-vu-another-actively-
>> exploited-chrome-vulnerability-affecting-a-webm-project-library-libvpx/
>> You know, the web browser that ships with every Android phone.
>
> Doesn't matter

Yes, yes, it "doesn't matter" that Google *CREATED* the zero day! 🤣

JR

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl7ab$o90c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3024&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3024

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:33:46 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:33 UTC

On 10/4/23 17:49, Wally J wrote:
> Hint: No smartphone OS is anywhere nearly as insecure as iOS is.

Missed opportunity to say "the kooks are as insecure as the OS"

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl7kb$o90c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3025&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3025

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:39:07 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:39 UTC

On 10/4/23 20:38, Dorper wrote:
> The term zero-day doesn't mean anything. Any security flaw that isn't
> intentionally put in there is a zero-day. You can go check the NVD and you
> will see that the # of CVEs for Android is higher than the # of CVEs for iOS.
> I don't know where you are getting this "3x" number from.

A Zero-day exploit is any exploit that gets exploited before the
developers know about it. It does "mean something".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-day_(computing)

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl7pc$o90c$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3026&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3026

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:41:48 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:41 UTC

On 10/4/23 21:22, Wally J wrote:
> WTF? It means it was completely unknown to Apple at the time it was
> reported to Apple - which - by definition - means Apple didn't find it.

> This is wrong. No wonder you don't understand a word I've been saying.
> If Apple _finds_ the bug, it's _not_ a zero-day bug, Dorper.

> That's how zero day holes work.
> That means "someone else" caught them first.

That makes a lot more sense when put that way, Ty

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl7sr$o90d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3027&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3027

From: no...@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:43:38 -0500
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:43 UTC

On 10/4/23 21:29, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Yes, yes, it "doesn't matter" that Google *CREATED* the zero day! 🤣

But how fast will the fix be implemented in Google products vs Apple?

Re: iOS 17.0.3 has dropped

<ufl80f$ococ$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3028&group=comp.mobile.ipad#3028

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:45:35 -0700
 by: Alan - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:45 UTC

On 2023-10-04 19:26, Wally J wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote
>
>> such a clown
>
> Have you ever posted something that an adult would be proud of, JR?
>
> While Dorper is confused about the difference between a zero-day bug and a
> regular bug - you have added absolutely no value to this thread topic.
>
> In fact, your childish comments are of uneducated low-IQ negative value.

Have you ever posted anything that doesn't warrant a good slap if you
said it face to face?