A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you. -- Ramsey Clark

computers / comp.mobile.android / New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

SubjectAuthor
* New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?J. P. Gilliver (John)
+* Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?Joerg Lorenz
|`* Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?Andy Burnelli
| `- Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?Andy Burnelli
+* Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?Andy Burns
|`* Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?J. P. Gilliver (John)
| `* Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?Andy Burns
|  `- Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?J. P. Gilliver (John)
`- Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?badgolferman

1
New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<t2ld28$e3s$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=29999&group=comp.mobile.android#29999

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 02:00:03 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 01:00 UTC

New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<t2m0dm$6qq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30015&group=comp.mobile.android#30015

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 08:30:14 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:30 UTC

Am 07.04.22 um 03:00 schrieb J. P. Gilliver (John):
> New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

Google down?

https://mobiletrans.wondershare.com/transfer/transfer-sms-from-android-to-android.html

https://www.howtogeek.com/272075/how-to-transfer-sms-messages-from-one-android-phone-to-another/

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<jb7g44FnmuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30016&group=comp.mobile.android#30016

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 07:53:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 06:53 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

I've used this for years

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore>

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<t2nj67$nai$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30047&group=comp.mobile.android#30047

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:56:50 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 20:56 UTC

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 at 07:53:55, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote: (my
> I've used this for years
>
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore>

That worked to backup the sms messages to the external storage card.
What do you use to backup & restore your call logs?

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<t2nkra$2gq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30049&group=comp.mobile.android#30049

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 22:25:10 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:25 UTC

Joerg Lorenz wrote:

>> New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?
>
> https://mobiletrans.wondershare.com/transfer/transfer-sms-from-android-to-android.html
> https://www.howtogeek.com/272075/how-to-transfer-sms-messages-from-one-android-phone-to-another/

Dunno, but in addition to SMS Backup+ from Jan Berkel, which backs up SMS,
MMS and call history to Gmail and Google Calendar (no MMS restore though)
*SMS Backup+* by Jan Berkel (5M+, 2.7 free adfree gsfreee)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync>

Aurora found this "SMS Backup and Restore" which is free & ad free
(but it requires GSF).

*SMS Backup and Restore* by Revel Technology (500+ downloads, no rating)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smsbackup.revelbackupappforsms>

SMS Backup & Restore is a text message saver and recover app that
backs up i.e., creates a copy of all the SMS & MMS messages,
call logs as well as contacts currently stored on the phone and
saves it in the internal storage or SD-Card.

That stored backup can be restored easily and all the messages
can be recovered. This text message recovery app can also restore
messages including SMS, MMS and call logs backups previously stored
on the device directory.

You can also backup and restore a huge number of messages at the
same time with a very high speed.
Note: This text message backup and recovery app requires backups
stored in the device's directory to be able to restore messages
i.e., SMS and MMS and call logs. This app cannot recover or
restore anything if any previously made backups are not stored
in the device's storage.
Key features:
* Backups SMS (text) messages, MMS and call logs in XML format
that can recovered easily.
* Local device backup options are also available.
This text messages backup and recovery app provides the options
to automatically upload the backup messages to any cloud platform
i.e., Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive from where those backup
messages can be accessed easily.
* You can select a time schedule on a day, week or month for backing
up text messages and MMS. SMS and MMS recovery tool will
automatically start the backup whenever that particular time comes.
* You can select the messages or conversations to backup or restore
that are stored on your device.
* You can view your local and cloud backups also.
Restoring them takes only a small matter of time.
* Allows you to search for backups stored on your device or cloud
and you can restore them without facing any kind of problems.
* You can transfer or copy your backup from one phone to another
phone easily. Backup format is independent of the android
version of the phone so the messages and logs can be easily
transferred from one phone to another phone and can be viewed
or restored irrespective of the android version.
* You can transfer the messages backup from phone to phone at
high-speed using Wi-FI direct.
* You can free up space on your phone using SMS and MMS recovery tools.
Delete all SMS messages or call logs present on the phone
with a single click at a very high speed and free up storage space.
* It also allows you to directly email a backup file of the text
messages to any other person or device.

Notes:
* Tested and running on all devices supporting Android 5.0 and
higher up to Android 11.
* App only restores backups made by this app and not by any other app.
* Backup is created locally on the phone storage i.e., internal storage
or SD-Card by default, but it also provides its user's the option
to upload the backup file to cloud storage:
Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive or Email.
* The user has to ensure that there is a copy of the backup outside
the phone before performing a factory reset on the phone
or the backup would be deleted along with the other data.

This App needs access to the following:
Messages:
In order to Backup and Restore messages stored on the phone..
Calls and Contact information:
To Backup and Restore Call Logs stored on the device.
Storage:
To create the Backup file on the internal storage or SD card.
Network view and communication:
Allows the app to connect to Wi-Fi or any other internet connection.
Run at start-up:
To start scheduled message backups without any kind of interruptions.
--
Together we can learn more about Android than any one of us can all alone.

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<t2nl28$546$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30050&group=comp.mobile.android#30050

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:28:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:28 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

Maybe Alpha Backup Buggysofts
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ruet_cse_1503050.ragib.appbackup.iap

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<t2o9tq$2uj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30089&group=comp.mobile.android#30089

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:24:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 03:24 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> *SMS Backup and Restore* by Revel Technology (500+ downloads, no rating)
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smsbackup.revelbackupappforsms>

I'll try to add value by running some tests for SMS Backup & Restore apps.

At one point I had tested all the known free ad free SMS Backup & Restore
apps but I don't remember the details but they're discussed in this thread.
*How to archive mms/sms specific group & individual contacts on the phone?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/poVQnksMXu8>

And there's a bit of Android background information covered here.
*What happens to your SMS/MMS messages when you delete your messaging app*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/1sHg9PNS3lU/>

For printing SMS messages, there's good information here.
*SMS Print*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/QjB_RzPp3q4>

And for general purpose backup, there's good information in these threads.
*Tutorial: How to back up non-root Android apps and their data*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/ZUEJUrPrEog>
*What free non-root Android backup & restore solution do you recommend*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/jZ8IxxgXFys>

Today I tested just these two applications to see WHERE they put their data.

*SMS Backup and Restore* by Revel Technology (500+ downloads, no rating)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smsbackup.revelbackupappforsms>
*SMS Backup & Restore* by SyncTech (free, adware, 10M+, rated 4.0)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore>

The "Revel" backup of SMS took about 20 seconds, which seemed too quick.
The "Revel" app wouldn't even tell me where it put the resulting files.
I found the "json" file in:
\Internal storage\Documents\SMSBackup_07_04_2022_5_16_8_PM.json
There are three buttons: Backup, Schedule, & Restore.

The "SyncTech" app took almost an hour to backup SMS/MMS & phone logs.
Meanwhile, it kept showing ads, but luckily you don't use it much.

At least it told me _where_ it was putting files, the default being:
\Internal storage\Android\data\com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore\files\.
\SD card\Android\data\com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore\files\.
The program allowed me to change the location to the saved XML files.
sms-20220407174518.xml
calls-20220407174518.xml

Since this was just a test, I haven't bothered to restore them (it's the
same phone so I'd have to delete them first I guess), but this will give
someone else a head start as to _where_ to find the resulting files.

But note that it can "transfer" the files to another phone if that other
phone has the same app, and it can set up a schedule for backing up also.
--
Usenet is where kind-hearted well educated people gather to exchange ideas.

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<jba17cFfp3kU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30100&group=comp.mobile.android#30100

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 06:58:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 05:58 UTC

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore>
>
> That worked to backup the sms messages to the external storage card.
> What do you use to backup & restore your call logs?

the same app does both (used to be separate apps) I use the nightly cloud sync
to gdrive.

Re: New phone - how do I bring over the SMS message history?

<t2omh4$4ea$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30111&group=comp.mobile.android#30111

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2022 08:00:00 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 8 Apr 2022 07:00 UTC

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 at 00:58:03, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote: (my
>> Andy Burns wrote:
>>
>>> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore>
>>
>> That worked to backup the sms messages to the external storage card.
>> What do you use to backup & restore your call logs?
>
> the same app does both (used to be separate apps) I use the nightly cloud sync
> to gdrive.

Got it!

The one thing that is weird is I put the files in a different location and
then I couldn't find them because the app can use the "system browser" which
only shows the first half of the file names. So they all look alike.

Is there any way to change the system file browser selection in the app?

To get there you hit the three horizontal lines at the top left of the app.
Then you hit the Restore selection.
Then you press "SELECT ANOTHER BACKUP."
Then you hit the three vertical dots at the top right of the app.
From there you choose "Use System Browser."

But the problem is _that_ system browser stinks.
It shows only the first 13 letters of the file names but ALL the backups
start with the same 13 letters of "calls" or "sms" and then a long date.

If you made more than one backup (like I did), they all look exactly the
same if all you can see are the first 13 characters only.

Is there any way to tell sms backup and restore to use a different system
file browser?