From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Find free or low-cost laptops and computers [telecom]
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 18:48:44 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Sat, 12 Mar 2022 18:48 UTC

Blog post by Spencer Duncan

Experts say that "insufficient access to large-screen devices -
desktops, laptops, or tablets - can have negative consequences for
people of all ages." Research shows that 19% of Philadelphia
households still do not have any working computer, which is critical
to fully participate in today's society.

This post lays out resources for residents to get free or low-cost devices.

Need a computer?

https://www.phila.gov/2022-03-07-find-free-or-low-cost-laptops-and-computers/

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

Re: Find free or low-cost laptops and computers [telecom]

<20220313173111.GA9009@telecom.csail.mit.edu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3006&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3006

From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:31:11 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 17:31 UTC

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 11:04:21PM -0500, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 3/12/2022 13:48, Bill Horne wrote:
> >Blog post by Spencer Duncan
> >
> >Experts say that "insufficient access to large-screen devices -
> >desktops, laptops, or tablets - can have negative consequences for
> >people of all ages." Research shows that 19% of Philadelphia
> >households still do not have any working computer, which is critical
> >to fully participate in today's society.
>
> Would that be 19% of households in Philadelphia have never had a computer or
> internet access, or would that percentage be households that only have a
> mobile device, and no full-size computer?

The link in the original page points to the original research report, which includes this paragraph:

An additional note on metrics: the ACS includes a measure called
"broadband of any type" which includes services such as satellite
and cellular data as part of broadband adoption. For the city of
Philadelphia, 84% of households in 2019 had broadband of any type
- above the 70% figure for wireline broadband. That difference
consists almost entirely of households who have a cellular data
plan (e.g., a smartphone) but no wireline service. However, as
noted, reliance on cellular data only is insufficient for online
classes, telehealth, working from home, and other data intensive
applications.

That page is at ...
https://www.phila.gov/media/20211019110414/Connecting-Philadelphia-2021-Household-Internet-Assessment-Survey.pdf

Bill

--
Bill Horne
Telecom Digest Moderator

Re: Find free or low-cost laptops and computers [telecom]

<t0jqfu$o4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3008&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3008

From: michael....@att.net (Michael Trew)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: 12 Mar 2022 23:04:21 -0500
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Michael Trew - Sun, 13 Mar 2022 04:04 UTC