"Don't discount flying pigs before you have good air defense." -- jvh@clinet.FI

devel / comp.theory / Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

SubjectAuthor
* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Newberry
`* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Ben
 `* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Newberry
  `* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Ben
   `* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Newberry
    `* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Ben
     +* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [olcott
     |`* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [Newberry
     | `* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [olcott
     |  `- Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [Richard Damon
     `* Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Newberry
      `- Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."Ben

1
Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<t31hb7$pnp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30023&group=comp.theory#30023

From: newberr...@gmail.com (Newberry)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:26:30 -0700
 by: Newberry - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:26 UTC

Here is the latest version of my paper "Getting Around the Halting
Problem." It is much more concise than the previous versions.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316562253_Getting_around_the_Halting_Problem

Comments appreciated.

Abstract:
There are numbers k and s and a URM program A(n,m) satisfying the
following conditions.
1. If A(n,m) halts, then C_n(m) diverges.
2. For all n, C_k(n) = A(n,n) and C_s(n) = C_k(s).
3. A(k,s) halts and for all n, A(s,n) diverges.
Here C_n(_) is a program with index n in some exhaustive enumeration of
all possible programs.

This has implications for solving the liar paradox and for
generalization of Gödel’s incompleteness theorem to formal systems other
than PA.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<8735ij4689.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30038&group=comp.theory#30038

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:15:18 +0100
 by: Ben - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:15 UTC

Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:

> Here is the latest version of my paper "Getting Around the Halting Problem." It is much more concise than the previous versions.
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316562253_Getting_around_the_Halting_Problem
>
> Comments appreciated.

There is something very odd about your notation, and/or the explanation
is lacking.

The C_k are some enumeration of the programs in some model of
computation. You then define C_k(n) =def A(n,n). And you write it in
code as well:

C_k(n) { A(n,n) }

How can this be? In general, when i =/= j, C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) because
C_i and C_j are different programs.

I am aware that you are considering only halting and divergence -- the
=/= between C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) means they have (in general) different
halting behaviour.

--
Ben.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<t3304h$bp5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30097&group=comp.theory#30097

From: newberr...@gmail.com (Newberry)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:44:48 -0700
 by: Newberry - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 04:44 UTC

Ben wrote:
> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Here is the latest version of my paper "Getting Around the Halting Problem." It is much more concise than the previous versions.
>>
>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316562253_Getting_around_the_Halting_Problem
>>
>> Comments appreciated.
>
> There is something very odd about your notation, and/or the explanation
> is lacking.
>
> The C_k are some enumeration of the programs in some model of
> computation. You then define C_k(n) =def A(n,n). And you write it in
> code as well:
>
> C_k(n) { A(n,n) }
>
> How can this be? In general, when i =/= j, C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) because
> C_i and C_j are different programs.
>
> I am aware that you are considering only halting and divergence -- the
> =/= between C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) means they have (in general) different
> halting behaviour.

A(n,m) is a function. C_k(n) calls A(n,n). There is a compilable and
executable program in the appendix that does just that. C_k(n) is
somewhere in the list, and k is its index.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<871qy23aeu.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30098&group=comp.theory#30098

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 10:42:33 +0100
 by: Ben - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:42 UTC

Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben wrote:
>> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Here is the latest version of my paper "Getting Around the Halting Problem." It is much more concise than the previous versions.
>>>
>>> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316562253_Getting_around_the_Halting_Problem
>>>
>>> Comments appreciated.
>>
>> There is something very odd about your notation, and/or the explanation
>> is lacking.
>>
>> The C_k are some enumeration of the programs in some model of
>> computation. You then define C_k(n) =def A(n,n). And you write it in
>> code as well:
>>
>> C_k(n) { A(n,n) }
>>
>> How can this be? In general, when i =/= j, C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) because
>> C_i and C_j are different programs.
>>
>> I am aware that you are considering only halting and divergence -- the
>> =/= between C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) means they have (in general) different
>> halting behaviour.
>
> A(n,m) is a function. C_k(n) calls A(n,n).

Yes. The question is how can this make sense? Writing

C_k(n) { A(n,n) }

suggests that every computation is identical. That can't be what you
mean.

> There is a compilable and
> executable program in the appendix that does just that. C_k(n) is
> somewhere in the list, and k is its index.

I am glad that there is an explanation somewhere (if I have time I'll go
look), but I would think you'd want to avoid a reader having the
reaction I did within the first few lines of the paper. But maybe I am
not in your target readership.

--
Ben.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<t34n3a$bpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30115&group=comp.theory#30115

From: newberr...@gmail.com (Newberry)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 13:23:06 -0700
 by: Newberry - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 20:23 UTC

Ben wrote:
> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ben wrote:

>>> There is something very odd about your notation, and/or the explanation
>>> is lacking.
>>>
>>> The C_k are some enumeration of the programs in some model of
>>> computation. You then define C_k(n) =def A(n,n). And you write it in
>>> code as well:
>>>
>>> C_k(n) { A(n,n) }
>>>
>>> How can this be? In general, when i =/= j, C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) because
>>> C_i and C_j are different programs.
>>>
>>> I am aware that you are considering only halting and divergence -- the
>>> =/= between C_i(n) =/= C_j(n) means they have (in general) different
>>> halting behaviour.
>>
>> A(n,m) is a function. C_k(n) calls A(n,n).
>
> Yes. The question is how can this make sense? Writing
>
> C_k(n) { A(n,n) }
>
> suggests that every computation is identical. That can't be what you
> mean.

That IS what I mean, i.e. for all n, C_k(n) = A(n,n).

>> There is a compilable and
>> executable program in the appendix that does just that. C_k(n) is
>> somewhere in the list, and k is its index.
>
> I am glad that there is an explanation somewhere (if I have time I'll go
> look), but I would think you'd want to avoid a reader having the
> reaction I did within the first few lines of the paper. But maybe I am
> not in your target readership.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<871qy125om.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30131&group=comp.theory#30131

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 01:22:17 +0100
 by: Ben - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:22 UTC

Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben wrote:
>> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:

>>> A(n,m) is a function. C_k(n) calls A(n,n).
>>
>> Yes. The question is how can this make sense? Writing
>>
>> C_k(n) { A(n,n) }
>>
>> suggests that every computation is identical. That can't be what you
>> mean.
>
> That IS what I mean, i.e. for all n, C_k(n) = A(n,n).

I don't know what to say. There is no sane model of computation in
which all programs are the same.

--
Ben.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [ Liar Paradox ]

<4dGdnSbY5rSnhcv_nZ2dnUU7_81g4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30132&group=comp.theory#30132

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 19:24:20 -0500
Liar Paradox ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 00:24 UTC

On 4/12/2022 7:22 PM, Ben wrote:
> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ben wrote:

>>> Yes. The question is how can this make sense? Writing
>>>
>>> C_k(n) { A(n,n) }
>>>
>>> suggests that every computation is identical. That can't be what you
>>> mean.
>>
>> That IS what I mean, i.e. for all n, C_k(n) = A(n,n).
>
> I don't know what to say. There is no sane model of computation in
> which all programs are the same.

He does make sense to bring up the Liar Paradox.

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<t35hl8$s9s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30169&group=comp.theory#30169

From: newberr...@gmail.com (Newberry)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 20:56:23 -0700
 by: Newberry - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 03:56 UTC

Ben wrote:
> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ben wrote:

>>> Yes. The question is how can this make sense? Writing
>>>
>>> C_k(n) { A(n,n) }
>>>
>>> suggests that every computation is identical. That can't be what you
>>> mean.
>>
>> That IS what I mean, i.e. for all n, C_k(n) = A(n,n).
>
> I don't know what to say. There is no sane model of computation in
> which all programs are the same.

C_k(n) and A(n,n) are TWO programs, not all programs.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [ Liar Paradox ]

<t35hp7$s9s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30170&group=comp.theory#30170

From: newberr...@gmail.com (Newberry)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Liar Paradox ]
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 20:58:31 -0700
 by: Newberry - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 03:58 UTC

olcott wrote:
> On 4/12/2022 7:22 PM, Ben wrote:
>> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That IS what I mean, i.e. for all n, C_k(n) = A(n,n).
>>
>> I don't know what to say. There is no sane model of computation in
>> which all programs are the same.
>>

> He does make sense to bring up the Liar Paradox.

I am basically accepting Gaifman's solution of the paradox albeit with
some modifications.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [ Liar Paradox ]

<jLidneS2c74c0cv_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30171&group=comp.theory#30171

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 23:07:22 -0500
Liar Paradox ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 04:07 UTC

On 4/12/2022 10:58 PM, Newberry wrote:
> olcott wrote:

>>> I don't know what to say.  There is no sane model of computation in
>>> which all programs are the same.
>>>

>> He does make sense to bring up the Liar Paradox.
>
> I am basically accepting Gaifman's solution of the paradox albeit with
> some modifications.

We also agree on what this means:
G := ~∃x(Prf(x, ⌜G⌝)

Which would be rejected by Prolog because it fails the occurs check.
This means that the above has an infinitely recursive structure.
https://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/man?predicate=unify_with_occurs_check/2

Here is another example:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem."

<874k2xxp7i.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30174&group=comp.theory#30174

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 11:17:05 +0100
 by: Ben - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:17 UTC

Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben wrote:
>> Newberry <newberryxy@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That IS what I mean, i.e. for all n, C_k(n) = A(n,n).
>>
>> I don't know what to say. There is no sane model of computation in
>> which all programs are the same.
>
> C_k(n) and A(n,n) are TWO programs, not all programs.

When I said "C_k(n) { A(n,n) } suggests that every computation is
identical. That can't be what you mean" you replied was "That IS what I
mean".

Anyway, I don't think you are writing for people like me. I wish you
well.

--
Ben.

Re: Llatest version of my "Getting Around the Halting Problem." [ Liar Paradox ]

<4_x5K.359902$f2a5.80610@fx48.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30178&group=comp.theory#30178

Liar Paradox ]
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 06:54:56 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Wed, 13 Apr 2022 10:54 UTC

On 4/13/22 12:07 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 4/12/2022 10:58 PM, Newberry wrote:
>> olcott wrote:

>>> He does make sense to bring up the Liar Paradox.
>>
>> I am basically accepting Gaifman's solution of the paradox albeit with
>> some modifications.
>>

> We also agree on what this means:
> G := ~∃x(Prf(x, ⌜G⌝)
>
> Which would be rejected by Prolog because it fails the occurs check.
> This means that the above has an infinitely recursive structure.
> https://www.swi-prolog.org/pldoc/man?predicate=unify_with_occurs_check/2
>
> Here is another example:
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence

Which just shows that we aren't woring in a First-Order Logic, which we
knew. So your 'proof' means nothing.

Sorry charlie, you are just proving you don't know what you are talking
about and have just proved your over your head.

FAIL.