"Were there no women, men might live like gods." -- Thomas Dekker

computers / alt.windows7.general / Copying multiple files

SubjectAuthor
* Copying multiple filesJeff Barnett
+* Re: Copying multiple filesJava Jive
|`* Re: Copying multiple filesJeff Barnett
| `* Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
|  +* Re: Copying multiple filesR.Wieser
|  |`* Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
|  | `* Re: Copying multiple filesR.Wieser
|  |  `* Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
|  |   `* Re: Copying multiple filesR.Wieser
|  |    `* Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
|  |     `* Re: Copying multiple filesR.Wieser
|  |      `- Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
|  `* Re: Copying multiple filesJeff Barnett
|   +* Re: Copying multiple filesDavid E. Ross
|   |+- Re: Copying multiple filesRene Lamontagne
|   |`- Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
|   `* Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
|    `* Re: Copying multiple filesFrank Slootweg
|     `- Re: Copying multiple filesVanguardLH
+* Re: Copying multiple filesR.Wieser
|+- Re: Copying multiple filesR.Wieser
|`* Re: Copying multiple filesJeff Barnett
| `- Re: Copying multiple filesR.Wieser
`* Re: Copying multiple filesMayayana
 `- Re: Copying multiple filesJeff Barnett

1
Copying multiple files

<sm93hf$duo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3011&group=alt.windows7.general#3011

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Copying multiple files
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 10:48:30 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:48 UTC

Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to
select the copy set? I have my mouse working on a single left click to
select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous set of
files in the explorer to be copied. I'm essentially doing a copy and
paste on one to computer to move the files to a shared disk on another
computer.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm940e$574$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3012&group=alt.windows7.general#3012

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Copying multiple files
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:56:28 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 17:56 UTC

On 07/11/2021 17:48, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to
> select the copy set? I have my mouse working on a single left click to
> select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous set of
> files in the explorer to be copied. I'm essentially doing a copy and
> paste on one to computer to move the files to a shared disk on another
> computer.

<Click> first file, <Shift-Click> end for a list of all in between,
<Control-Click> to add/subtract individual files from the selection.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm94p7$gma$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3013&group=alt.windows7.general#3013

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:09:38 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:09 UTC

Jeff,

> Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to select
> the copy set?

*only* the mouse ? Or is holding a shift or control key permitted too ?

Only the mouse : Press LMB and drag a rectangle over the set of files.

With shift key : LMB the first file, press-and-hold the shift key, click the
last file.

With ctrl key : LMB the first file, press-and-hold the ctrl key, further LMB
selects that file too.

Remark #1 : You can use the shift-key (or recangle) method first and than
continue with the ctrl key - not the other way around.

Remark #2 : ctrl-LMB on a file thats already selected will un-select it -
handy when you want to exclude a few files outof a range selecte with the
shift key method.

Copying can than done by drag-and-drop the selection, or by right-clicking
on the selection and select "copy" - followed by a "paste" on/in the target
folder.

Caveat : I'm not using Win7, but I can't imagine it has become much
different with later versions of the OS.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm95nf$olu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3015&group=alt.windows7.general#3015

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:24:14 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:24 UTC

"Jeff Barnett" <jbb@notatt.com> wrote

| Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to
| select the copy set? I have my mouse working on a single left click to
| select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous set of
| files in the explorer to be copied. I'm essentially doing a copy and
| paste on one to computer to move the files to a shared disk on another
| computer.

Hold down right mouse button and lasso desired files
to get them selected. Left click Copy. I don't know
what you mean by shared disk. The disk must be part of
the first computer's file system, since the copy is really
just sending a list to the Clipboard.

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm95pl$vop$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3016&group=alt.windows7.general#3016

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:26:54 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:26 UTC

> Copying can than done by drag-and-drop the selection

I forgot to mention : LMB dragging acts different depending on the drop
target : if its a folder on the same drive the files will be *moved*. If
its a folder on another drive the files will be copied. To force a copy
action press the ctrl key before starting the drag.

https://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/copying-and-moving-files-and-folders.html

You could also try to start the drag using RMB. On drop you should get a
popup menu asking which action should be performed.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm96ac$25t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3017&group=alt.windows7.general#3017

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 11:35:57 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:35 UTC

On 11/7/2021 10:56 AM, Java Jive wrote:
> On 07/11/2021 17:48, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to
>> select the copy set? I have my mouse working on a single left click to
>> select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous set of
>> files in the explorer to be copied. I'm essentially doing a copy and
>> paste on one to computer to move the files to a shared disk on another
>> computer.
>
> <Click> first file, <Shift-Click> end for a list of all in between,
> <Control-Click> to add/subtract individual files from the selection.

Does not work. As I said above, a single left click does a select, i.e.,
executes or opens the file, etc.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm96nn$cpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3018&group=alt.windows7.general#3018

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 11:43:02 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:43 UTC

On 11/7/2021 11:09 AM, R.Wieser wrote:
> Jeff,
>
>> Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to select
>> the copy set?
>
> *only* the mouse ? Or is holding a shift or control key permitted too ?
>
> Only the mouse : Press LMB and drag a rectangle over the set of files.
>
> With shift key : LMB the first file, press-and-hold the shift key, click the
> last file.
>
> With ctrl key : LMB the first file, press-and-hold the ctrl key, further LMB
> selects that file too.
>
> Remark #1 : You can use the shift-key (or recangle) method first and than
> continue with the ctrl key - not the other way around.
>
> Remark #2 : ctrl-LMB on a file thats already selected will un-select it -
> handy when you want to exclude a few files outof a range selecte with the
> shift key method.
>
> Copying can than done by drag-and-drop the selection, or by right-clicking
> on the selection and select "copy" - followed by a "paste" on/in the target
> folder.
>
> Caveat : I'm not using Win7, but I can't imagine it has become much
> different with later versions of the OS
Thanks I didn't know about the ability to "draw" a rectangle or using
the shift key with the <first> selection! The rest I knew. When, a long
time ago, I switched to LMB selects (rather than use double click) I
mistakenly assumed that the loss of easy group select was a tradeoff; it
seem so so M$. Once again, thanks.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm972i$j37$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3019&group=alt.windows7.general#3019

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 11:48:49 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 18:48 UTC

On 11/7/2021 11:24 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> "Jeff Barnett" <jbb@notatt.com> wrote
>
> | Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to
> | select the copy set? I have my mouse working on a single left click to
> | select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous set of
> | files in the explorer to be copied. I'm essentially doing a copy and
> | paste on one to computer to move the files to a shared disk on another
> | computer.
>
> Hold down right mouse button and lasso desired files
> to get them selected. Left click Copy. I don't know
> what you mean by shared disk. The disk must be part of
> the first computer's file system, since the copy is really
> just sending a list to the Clipboard.

Thanks for the reply. Lassoing with right button doesn't seem to work
here. Rudy suggested shit left button and that does work.The shared disk
is on the destination computer and it is shared because its properties
(on the sharing tab) set up sharing on the local network.
--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Copying multiple files

<1248hz5kedfv1$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3020&group=alt.windows7.general#3020

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:06:33 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:06 UTC

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:

> Java Jive wrote:
>
>> Jeff Barnett wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way with Win 7 to copy multiple files using the mouse to
>>> select the copy set? I have my mouse working on a single left click
>>> to select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous
>>> set of files in the explorer to be copied. I'm essentially doing a
>>> copy and paste on one to computer to move the files to a shared
>>> disk on another computer.
>>
>> <Click> first file, <Shift-Click> end for a list of all in between,
>> <Control-Click> to add/subtract individual files from the selection.
>
> Does not work.

Did you press and hold the Shift or Ctrl keys, as instructed, BEFORE
using the mouse to click on files?

> As I said above, a single left click does a select, i.e.,
> executes or opens the file, etc.

That's for a double-click that commits whatever handler is assigned to
the filetype, not a single-click that only selects a file.

Maybe your mouse is broken, so it is bouncing on the button or the
switch is flaky, and doing double-clicks instead of single clicks.

Could also be you shortened the interval between clicks that
differentiates between single and double clicks. Run main.cpl, Buttons
tab, and look at the double-click speed settings. There is a test spot
that lets you know how long between two single clicks count as a
double-click action.

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm98mk$8id$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3022&group=alt.windows7.general#3022

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:16:31 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:16 UTC

Jeff,

> Thanks I didn't know about the ability to "draw" a rectangle or using the
> shift key with the <first> selection!

You're welcome. :-)

By the way: you can LMB /outside/ any file entry (so you do not run the file
by clicking on it) to start creating that selection rectangle.

> The rest I knew.

Windows may look different in each subsequent version, but /some/ things do
not seem to ever change.

> When, a long time ago, I switched to LMB selects (rather than use double
> click) I mistakenly assumed that the loss of easy group select was a
> tradeoff; it seem so so M$.

That particular method, sure. But luckily there was still
rectangle-selection one. :-)

Another way you might try (works here) is to RMB the first file (selecting
it), ignore the popup menu, and than shift-LMB the last one.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm9agu$130j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3023&group=alt.windows7.general#3023

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:47:34 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:47 UTC

Vanguard,

> Did you press and hold the Shift or Ctrl keys, as instructed,
> BEFORE using the mouse to click on files?

Don't be stupid.

Using shift or ctrl is needed AFTER having selected the first file. If you
do it for the first file than that one might-or-might-not be the first one
at all.

Suggestion : when you are sure you know how someone is wrong be sure you
test-drive what you think is the correct way.

Also, literally NOBODY instructed that.

>> As I said above, a single left click does a select, i.e.,
>> executes or opens the file, etc.
>
> That's for a double-click that commits whatever handler is assigned
> to the filetype, not a single-click that only selects a file.

Kiddo, you do not know half as much as you think you do.

Also, you're an arrogant ass to just claim that what the OP says he has been
using for a while now can't be happening - because you have no knowledge of
it.

Suggestion : When your knowledge disagrees with what someone tells you do
yourself a favour and google for it. It may save you from some
embarrassment.

Also : Look under "control panel", "folder options".

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying multiple files

<7uef487ee1o9$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3025&group=alt.windows7.general#3025

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:05:26 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:05 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote:

> Vanguard,
>
>> Did you press and hold the Shift or Ctrl keys, as instructed,
>> BEFORE using the mouse to click on files?
>
> Don't be stupid.

Must be a bad hair day for you.

> Using shift or ctrl is needed AFTER having selected the first file. If you
> do it for the first file than that one might-or-might-not be the first one
> at all.

Wow, you really thought I had to duplicate the instruction on how to
select the first file? Sorry, I wasn't being as pendantic as you.

> Suggestion : when you are sure you know how someone is wrong be sure you
> test-drive what you think is the correct way.

Take your own advice.

> Also, literally NOBODY instructed that.

Ah, not bothering to read other replies, I see. Reread Jive's reply.
You think I just had to duplicate all of that?

>>> As I said above, a single left click does a select, i.e.,
>>> executes or opens the file, etc.
>>
>> That's for a double-click that commits whatever handler is assigned
>> to the filetype, not a single-click that only selects a file.
>
> Kiddo, you do not know half as much as you think you do.

Read comprehension is certainly low for you. Just what did the OP say
after the "i.e." clause? What the OP describes as the action is NOT the
same as his "select" claim. I chose what the OP describes as happening
versus the terminology the OP got wrong.

> Also, you're an arrogant ass to just claim that what the OP says he has been
> using for a while now can't be happening - because you have no knowledge of
> it.

How old are you? You talk like a bratty child.

> Also : Look under "control panel", "folder options".

Did the OP ever state that he switched away from the defaults? And,
gee, what is the default? To DOUBLE-click on a file to *open* it, and
single-click on a file to *select* it.

"I have my mouse working on a single left click to select an item" is
what the OP declared. "Select" is not the same as "open". English is
not your native language.

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm9dhv$8gn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3028&group=alt.windows7.general#3028

From: jbb...@notatt.com (Jeff Barnett)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 13:39:26 -0700
 by: Jeff Barnett - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:39 UTC

On 11/7/2021 12:06 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:
>
>> Java Jive wrote:

>>> <Click> first file, <Shift-Click> end for a list of all in between,
>>> <Control-Click> to add/subtract individual files from the selection.
>>
>> Does not work.
>
> Did you press and hold the Shift or Ctrl keys, as instructed, BEFORE
> using the mouse to click on files?
>
>> As I said above, a single left click does a select, i.e.,
>> executes or opens the file, etc.
>
> That's for a double-click that commits whatever handler is assigned to
> the filetype, not a single-click that only selects a file.

Look in the original message where I said that I choose the window's
option where a single click does what a double click used to do. That
choice is a good one in most instances but makes choosing multiple items
for as a copy set (for example) a pain in the butt.

--
Jeff Barnett

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm9e9o$tqb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3029&group=alt.windows7.general#3029

From: nob...@notme.invalid (David E. Ross)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:52:07 -0800
 by: David E. Ross - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 20:52 UTC

On 11/7/2021 12:39 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
> Look in the original message where I said that I choose the window's
> option where a single click does what a double click used to do. That
> choice is a good one in most instances but makes choosing multiple items
> for as a copy set (for example) a pain in the butt.

I am not sure how you did that -- using a single-click in place of a
double-click -- but your problem is the result of that. I would suggest
undoing that. Otherwise, you might launch the wrong application or open
the wrong window by accidentally single-clicking on it.

--
David E. Ross
"A Message to Those Who Are Not Vaccinated"

Re: Copying multiple files

<iuqu9oFlhoaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3030&group=alt.windows7.general#3030

From: rlam...@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 15:20:56 -0600
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:20 UTC

On 2021-11-07 2:52 p.m., David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/7/2021 12:39 PM, Jeff Barnett wrote:
>> Look in the original message where I said that I choose the window's
>> option where a single click does what a double click used to do. That
>> choice is a good one in most instances but makes choosing multiple items
>> for as a copy set (for example) a pain in the butt.
>
> I am not sure how you did that -- using a single-click in place of a
> double-click -- but your problem is the result of that. I would suggest
> undoing that. Otherwise, you might launch the wrong application or open
> the wrong window by accidentally single-clicking on it.

This what I do

1: Mouse is set to Single click
2: Hover over 1st file in series, Light blue rectangle appears
3: Press and hold Shift
4: Hover over last file in series, All files between 1st and last get
light blue rectangle
5: Right click and move all to where you want them.

Rene

Re: Copying multiple files

<sm9gl7$11a$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3031&group=alt.windows7.general#3031

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 22:32:18 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:32 UTC

Vanguard,

>> Also, literally NOBODY instructed that.
>
> Ah, not bothering to read other replies, I see. Reread Jive's reply.

As I said, NOBODY instructed that.

But, if you think otherwise feel free to quote it.

> Just what did the OP say after the "i.e." clause?

A clarification of whats at the left of it ? If you think differently why
not tell us what you think that it says ?

And after that what you think that the whole line, inclusive that clause
says.

>> Also : Look under "control panel", "folder options".
>
> Did the OP ever state that he switched away from the defaults?

Why would he state the fricking obvious ?

I mean, he told us that he has the single-click way of launching a file,
which means that he must have, right ?

Besides, that was ment for *you*, so you could easly find how what you claim
the OP could not have done is, in fact, offered by the OS. Sucks to be you
kiddo. :-)

> "I have my mouse working on a single left click to select an item"
> is what the OP declared. "Select" is not the same as "open".

Yep, he said that. But I see you somehow have already forgotten all about
the line containing that "i.e. clause" you spoke of, where he clarified how
his LMB single-click works.

IOW, you quoting only that part and "forgetting" about everything else is
just you being dishonest. Again.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying multiple files

<1rpq28iouy4kx.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3032&group=alt.windows7.general#3032

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 15:46:21 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:46 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote:

> I mean, he told us that he has the single-click way of launching a
> file, which means that he must have, right ?

Not what the OP said.

"I have my mouse working on a single left click to select an item"
^^^^^^
Select, NOT open -------'

Now go to Folder Options, like you said, under the General tab. What do
those options actually say?

Single-click to open an item (point to select)
Double-click to open an item (single-click to select) <-- Default

Did the OP say he double-clicked? Nope, he said he single-clicked. Did
the OP say he opened a file on a single-click? Nope, he said he
selected the file. So, what's left? Single-click to select, which is
NOT open the file. His statement matches the 2nd option: single-click
to select, double-click to open. BINGO!

I can select a key from a keyring, but that selection does NOT *open* a
door. I went by what the OP said, not by what he might've meant to say,
and not by what you claimed the OP meant to say.

Re: Copying multiple files

<pua74gksupv5$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3035&group=alt.windows7.general#3035

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 15:54:21 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 21:54 UTC

Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:

> Look in the original message where I said that I choose the window's
> option where a single click does what a double click used to do. That
> choice is a good one in most instances but makes choosing multiple items
> for as a copy set (for example) a pain in the butt.

You never stated in your original message that you changed away from the
default to instead use single-click to *open* a file. There's what you
meant to say, and what you actually said.

Even Jive assumed you were using the default: double-click to *open*,
single-click to *select*. "Select" is not the same as "open".

Re: Copying multiple files

<115hbbwo9n02c$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3036&group=alt.windows7.general#3036

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 16:19:45 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 22:19 UTC

"David E. Ross" <nobody@notme.invalid> wrote:

> Jeff Barnett wrote:
>
>> Look in the original message where I said that I choose the window's
>> option where a single click does what a double click used to do.
>> That choice is a good one in most instances but makes choosing
>> multiple items for as a copy set (for example) a pain in the butt.
>
> I am not sure how you did that -- using a single-click in place of a
> double-click -- but your problem is the result of that. I would
> suggest undoing that. Otherwise, you might launch the wrong
> application or open the wrong window by accidentally single-clicking
> on it.

What the OP thinks he said, but but did not, is that he changed the
mouse's clicking behavior via Folder Options -> General tab:

Single-click to open an item (point to select) <-- OP changed to
Double-click to open an item (single-click to select) <-- Default

In addition, the OP confuses "select" with "open". To the rest of the
respondents (except Reiser who assumed non-defaults perhaps because
that's what he also uses), like yourself, they assumed the default setup
which uses:

Single-click to SELECT a file
Double-click to OPEN the file

He changed to single-click to open, and says select when he means open.
I can see why the terminology got confused since Microsoft uses "select"
in the title for both options. Better to focus on just the non-
parenthesized title of each option.

With the "single-click to OPEN" option the OP elected, all the key+mouse
combinations are void. If he wants to continue using single-click to
OPEN a file to eliminate one of the two mouse clicks, and to select
multiple files, he could configure Windows Explorer to show a tick box
next to each file/folder.

Folder Options -> View tab
"Files and Folders" section
"Use check boxes to select items" = select

When enabled, a checkbox appears next to each file or folder in the list
pane. You can then click on the checkbox for any number of items.
However, if you mis-click once, like you miss the checkbox and instead
click on an item, your entire list of checked boxes gets cleared, and
just the item you mis-clicked on is the only one selected, so you have
to redo your entire checkbox selection. With the checkboxes, you have
to be sure to click only in the checkbox, and nowhere else.

While I visited the Folder Option settings to verify the navpath to the
checkbox option, I just did an online search to verify, and found:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7888/how-to-enable-check-boxes-in-explorer-in-windows-7/

With the OP's choice of "single-click to OPEN", the keyboard combos are
not available, but the checkboxes are available no matter what action
the OP chooses for the single- or double-click action.

While the checkboxes are handy for selecting multiple items, this is
error-prone and monotonous if you have hundreds of items to select.
When the checkbox option is enabled, another checkbox appears above the
list that lets you select all the checkboxes. Instead of individually
selecting hundreds of files via a checkbox for each, you could select
all items, and then deselect the checkboxes for the items you don't want
to include in an operation.

Re: Copying multiple files

<smanm8$103s$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3042&group=alt.windows7.general#3042

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 09:38:18 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 08:38 UTC

Vanguard,

>> I mean, he told us that he has the single-click way of launching a
>> file, which means that he must have, right ?
>
> Not what the OP said.
>
> "I have my mouse working on a single left click to select an item"
> ^^^^^^
> Select, NOT open -------'

All I see is a dishonest person who, by selectivily quoting, tries to make a
point.

*If* you would have read that whole line you *should* have noticed that the
OP fumbled up a bit.

In the part you didn't quote he said that he had a problem with selecting
stuff due to the change he made. That should have tipped you off. Which
changes could he have made in this regard ?

Also, he clarified what he did in his second post (that "i.e clause" line),
half an hour before you wrote your first reply.

> I went by what the OP said, not by what he might've meant to say,
> and not by what you claimed the OP meant to say.

:-) Nope. You just took *your* interpretation of /a small part/ of what
the OP wrote, and are now trying to slap me around with it.

Kiddo, you mentioned that "English is not your native language." to me,
suggesting that it is yours. It doesn't seem to do you much good.

And by the way, I see you didn't respond to what I wrote in regard to your
"i.e. clause". How come ? Wasn't it going the direction you wanted ?

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

P.s.
No, I'm not nice to you. That happens when you try to pull some bullshit.
Deal with it.

Re: Copying multiple files

<1r7tx80vkn21v$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3043&group=alt.windows7.general#3043

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 06:10:51 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 12:10 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote:

> Vanguard,
>
>>> I mean, he told us that he has the single-click way of launching a
>>> file, which means that he must have, right ?
>>
>> Not what the OP said.
>>
>> "I have my mouse working on a single left click to select an item"
>> ^^^^^^
>> Select, NOT open -------'
>
> All I see is a dishonest person who, by selectivily quoting, tries to make a
> point.

All I see is a noob that has never heard of trimming their posts. Do
you use such a crappy NNTP client that you cannot read the hierarchy of
posts, so you need to keep duplicating content in every reply?

> *If* you would have read that whole line you *should* have noticed
> that the OP fumbled up a bit.

I did, but I didn't jump to an assumption furthest away from the
statement to contrive what the OP meant to say.

> In the part you didn't quote he said that he had a problem with
> selecting stuff due to the change he made. That should have tipped
> you off. Which changes could he have made in this regard ?

Already mentioned: say "select" when selecting a file on a single-click,
or say "open" when opening a file on a single-click.

> Also, he clarified what he did in his second post (that "i.e clause"
> line), half an hour before you wrote your first reply.

Yep, the OP used conflicting terminology. I went by what the OP said,
not what a Magic 8-ball said.

By the way, since when has anyone been required to address every
argument or issue brought up at the same time? I can choose to what I
respond, just like you can and have.

>> I went by what the OP said, not by what he might've meant to say,
>> and not by what you claimed the OP meant to say.
>
> :-) Nope. You just took *your* interpretation of /a small part/ of what
> the OP wrote, and are now trying to slap me around with it.

Wrong. That was you that made a different assumption than mine which
was based on what the OP said, not what I guessed he meant to say, nor
on what you guessed the OP meant to say.

> And by the way, I see you didn't respond to what I wrote in regard to your
> "i.e. clause". How come ? Wasn't it going the direction you wanted ?

I noticed a conflict in terms and description. I didn't change my
original assumption since the "clause" didn't clarify or correct. You
made a different assumption based on conflicting terms and description.
You leaped the OP meant something else. I didn't.

Re: Copying multiple files

<smbu3j$g9h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3047&group=alt.windows7.general#3047

From: addr...@not.available (R.Wieser)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:33:24 +0100
 by: R.Wieser - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 19:33 UTC

Vanguard,

>> *If* you would have read that whole line you *should* have noticed
>> that the OP fumbled up a bit.
>
> I did, but I didn't jump to an assumption furthest away from the
> statement to contrive what the OP meant to say.

What I see is that you interpreted what the OP wrote as something that isn't
possible (you said so yourself), but went with it anyway.

And for some reason you absolutily missed that the OP clarified it in his
second message - before you wrote your first reply.

> Already mentioned: say "select" when selecting a file on a single-click,
> or say "open" when opening a file on a single-click.

You did mention that ? Where ?

Ah, don't bother. All you're showing me that You're still stuck on a word -
even though you know it wasn't the right one you are unable to look past it
and figure out what the OP might have ment instead. Something several
responders here had little problem with by the way.

> Yep, the OP used conflicting terminology. I went by what the OP said,
> not what a Magic 8-ball said.

No, you didn't go by what the OP said. You discarded a lot of what he
said - including his clarifcation of that "conflicting terminology".

Also, you think that interpreting what someone said is "Magic 8-ball" stuff
? And you are the guy who made a point of me not being a native English
speaker ? Lolz!

> By the way, since when has anyone been required to address every
> argument or issue brought up at the same time? I can choose to
> what I respond, just like you can and have.

Oh, you surely can. Be my guest. By all means.

But do you know the phrase "throwing mud to see what will stick" ? To me
it looks like You threw (you challenged me), it didn't stick (I countered it
*and challenged you*), and you dropped the whole matter.

In other words : you challenged me to explain something you came up with,
but when you than got challenged to explain something about it yourself you
ran away. Do you have /any/ idea what that makes you look like ? Nothing
good, I can tell you that.

> I noticed a conflict in terms and description. I didn't change my
> original assumption since the "clause" didn't clarify or correct.

Speak for yourself kiddo. Most of us here, me included, had no problem with
understanding that clarification.

Funny though : I asked you to explain what you thought that that whole
"clause" line said, but you refused. But here you are, still trying to use
it for your own benefit ...

> You made a different assumption based on conflicting terms and
> description. You leaped the OP meant something else. I didn't.

Lol. My (and others) "leaped the OP meant something else" looks to be
exactly what the OP ment. Yours wasn't, not by a long shot. Now, who again
did you say "leaped" ? :-)

Kiddo, I'm ging to discontinue our conversation here. As long as you keep
thinking you did everything right when you should have noticed by now from
the OPs replies you didn't it makes absolutily no sense to keep talking to
you. Goodbye.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Copying multiple files

<uv07pka3ep4z$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3048&group=alt.windows7.general#3048

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 14:00:16 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 20:00 UTC

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote:

> Ah, don't bother. All you're showing me that You're still stuck on a
> word

As I stated several times, "select" is not "open".

Yep, I'm stuck, as you say, on a word. I'd be pissed if an employer
said I was going to be paid $50K dollars per year, but the employer
meant pesos. Hey, it's just a word different.

Re: Copying multiple files

<smc6m1.v9s.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3049&group=alt.windows7.general#3049

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: 8 Nov 2021 21:00:40 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:00 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
> Jeff Barnett <jbb@notatt.com> wrote:
>
> > Look in the original message where I said that I choose the window's
> > option where a single click does what a double click used to do. That
> > choice is a good one in most instances but makes choosing multiple items
> > for as a copy set (for example) a pain in the butt.
>
> You never stated in your original message that you changed away from the
> default to instead use single-click to *open* a file. There's what you
> meant to say, and what you actually said.

Well, he *did* - kind of - say it:

<quote>

I have my mouse working on a single left click to
select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous set of
files in the explorer to be copied.

</quote>

The "I have my mouse working..." and "so it is difficult to select
even a contiguous set of files in the explorer" bits imply that he *did*
change the default. If not, the first part would be superfluous and the
second part would be nonsense, because with the default setting,
"select a contiguous set of files" is *not* difficult.

Moral: Some of us were able to read between the lines, because the
lines themselves made no sense.

[...]

Re: Copying multiple files

<121goleru7qfy.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3051&group=alt.windows7.general#3051

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 15:50:47 -0600
 by: VanguardLH - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:50 UTC

Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.lh> wrote:
>
>> You never stated in your original message that you changed away from
>> the default to instead use single-click to *open* a file. There's
>> what you meant to say, and what you actually said.
>
> Well, he *did* - kind of - say it:
>
> <quote>
>
> I have my mouse working on a single left click to
> select an item so it is difficult to select even a contiguous set of
> files in the explorer to be copied.
>
> </quote>

Got that, and argued about it, in the Weiser subthread. Other mouse
tricks to select multiple files were suggested by others, like lassoing
them; however, dragging to scroll can be hard to control (you end up
dragging further than you want, drag back, and keep trying to zero in).

Because the OP likes the "single-click to open" behavior, I made another
suggestion of:

Folder Options -> View tab
"Files and Folders" section
"Use check boxes to select items" = select

More details were mentioned in my reply to Rene on using checkboxes.