Why won't sharks eat lawyers? Professional courtesy.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / Re: OT: Large Binary Files

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Large Binary FilesThe Lucky Duckie
+* Re: OT: Large Binary FilesArthur T.
|`- Re: OT: Large Binary Filesnone
+- Re: OT: Large Binary FilesOpinicus
+* Re: OT: Large Binary FilesThe Lucky Duckie
|`- Re: OT: Large Binary Filesnone
`* Re: OT: Large Binary FilesAgent86
 `- Re: OT: Large Binary Filesnone

1
OT: Large Binary Files

<h8v4rg9bs078p8t4t54t3t7us2u6f3i1n5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3008&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3008

From: ld1979...@gmail.com (The Lucky Duckie)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: OT: Large Binary Files
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 17:06:33 -0500
 by: The Lucky Duckie - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 22:06 UTC

Forte Agent has served my purposes very well for years.

But, I am now stuck with the 4 GB limit on individual messages.
I am trying to download a binary file which the poster did not
break up into smaller bits. It is just a little over the limit, but
I guess I am stuck.

Any suggestions for a newsreader that can do it. As this is
going to be a one time event, I would not want to fork out
too much.

If there is no such option, I will just forget the whole thing.

Thanks for your help.

Re: OT: Large Binary Files

<fd45rgl5ksjs8tiajpal6rpr9p9ghb7sgj@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3009&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3009

From: art...@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: OT: Large Binary Files
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 18:32:36 -0500
 by: Arthur T. - Thu, 9 Dec 2021 23:32 UTC

In Message-ID:<h8v4rg9bs078p8t4t54t3t7us2u6f3i1n5@4ax.com>,
The Lucky Duckie <ld1979-66@gmail.com> wrote:

>Any suggestions for a newsreader that can do it. As this is
>going to be a one time event, I would not want to fork out
>too much.

I've never used it for such a big file, but I think that NZBGET will
handle it. Free and easy to use... well easy once you've figured out
how to configure it.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: OT: Large Binary Files

<1ap5rgh8orro34t03v43u1ln65rdhk3kho@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3011&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3011

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 06:29:17 +0100
 by: non...@given.com - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 05:29 UTC

On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 18:32:36 -0500, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>In Message-ID:<h8v4rg9bs078p8t4t54t3t7us2u6f3i1n5@4ax.com>,
>The Lucky Duckie <ld1979-66@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions for a newsreader that can do it. As this is
>>going to be a one time event, I would not want to fork out
>>too much.
>
>I've never used it for such a big file, but I think that NZBGET will
>handle it. Free and easy to use... well easy once you've figured out
>how to configure it.

Or if you want it really easy (and with excellent performance),
Newsleecher. Trying to use Agent for binaries these days is like
mowing your lawn with nail scissors.

https://www.newsleecher.com/software/

Re: OT: Large Binary Files

<0fu5rg1j05o2mjdjq4665hjs7koer3id27@anodyne.nul.which.is.quite.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3012&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3012

From: gez...@spamcop.net.which.is.not.quite.invalid (Opinicus)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 10:00:45 +0300
 by: Opinicus - Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:00 UTC

If you have or can get/generate an NZB file then a good option is
SABnzbd:

https://sabnzbd.org/

Installation is a breeze because it's essentially web-based and of
course it's free. It's brilliant at downloading and cobbling together
so-called "obsfucated" postings.

I now use Agent only to download files that somehow don't get indexed
by the indexing services.

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

> On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 17:06:33 -0500, The Lucky Duckie
> <ld1979-66@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forte Agent has served my purposes very well for years.
>
> But, I am now stuck with the 4 GB limit on individual messages.
> I am trying to download a binary file which the poster did not
> break up into smaller bits. It is just a little over the limit, but
> I guess I am stuck.
>
> Any suggestions for a newsreader that can do it. As this is
> going to be a one time event, I would not want to fork out
> too much.
>
> If there is no such option, I will just forget the whole thing.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Re: OT: Large Binary Files

<6cjfrgdqfbev7qk6dojt236o5phrvmk79o@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3015&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3015

From: ld1979...@gmail.com (The Lucky Duckie)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:53:17 -0500
 by: The Lucky Duckie - Mon, 13 Dec 2021 22:53 UTC

Thanks for all suggestions.

I decided to bypass Newsleecher as I did not
want to pay. I do not want to move from
Usenetserver.

As I could get the NZB file, I tried the other
two suggestions.

Tried sabnzbd, but it failed on the downloads.
For some reason, it quit after downloading about
25% of the file.

Finally, to NZBget. I found a couple of helpful
tutorials, set it up (less than 10 min) and had a
go. I would not connect to the news server
because of the security certificate. I disabled
the security check and ..... whooosh it went!

Once set up, it seems that NZBget is a a good
way to get these big files. As I do not do that
many binary downloads, I find if ok.

Thanks again, for introducing me to thse downloaders.
If I do have reason to leave Usenetserver, I will
definitely take a look at Newsleecher.

Re: OT: Large Binary Files

<8ghgrg19eagkqr5v2u7mprc8d4nra8eii1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3016&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3016

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 08:26:56 +0100
 by: non...@given.com - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 07:26 UTC

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 17:53:17 -0500, The Lucky Duckie
<ld1979-66@gmail.com> wrote:

>If I do have reason to leave Usenetserver, I will
>definitely take a look at Newsleecher.

Just for information, Newsleecher works with any provider.

They also sell their own usenet service (which is what the payment is
for. Also they offer a paid-for search service. I buy the search
service because it's pretty good (including for obfuscated uploads and
handier than using other indexes, but I've never used their usenet
service.

However, the program itself is free and can be used with any provider.
It's not tied to the Newsleecher servers.

But if what you have now works, stay with that now.

Re: OT: Large Binary Files

<32gnrgpdt4jeat9sv6kcqcnbfbqte0117f@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3017&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3017

From: maxwells...@control.org (Agent86)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:41:39 -0600
 by: Agent86 - Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:41 UTC

<ld1979-66@gmail.com> wrote:

>Forte Agent has served my purposes very well for years.
>
>But, I am now stuck with the 4 GB limit on individual messages.
>I am trying to download a binary file which the poster did not
>break up into smaller bits. It is just a little over the limit, but
>I guess I am stuck.
>
>Any suggestions for a newsreader that can do it. As this is
>going to be a one time event, I would not want to fork out
>too much.
>
>If there is no such option, I will just forget the whole thing.
>
>Thanks for your help.

Newsbin pro would be a good choice for a single use. It is not free,
but has a trial period.

Agent86

Re: OT: Large Binary Files

<g08org5pi998c0lnnp0s7s5e86tme17t6p@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3018&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3018

From: non...@given.com
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 06:33:28 +0100
 by: non...@given.com - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 05:33 UTC

On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 16:41:39 -0600, Agent86 <maxwellsmart@control.org>
wrote:

>Newsbin pro would be a good choice for a single use. It is not free,
>but has a trial period.

Almost free, to be fair.

$30 (including search)
$20 (without search)

Search is a separate service, and is damn good, in my opinion.

Best to start with the free trial key before deciding. I found (and
still do) the interface a pain, but others disagree.

http://www.newsbin.com/about.php