God doesn't play dice. -- Albert Einstein

computers / comp.mobile.android / verizon compatible smart cell phone

SubjectAuthor
* verizon compatible smart cell phoneKen Hart
+* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonenospam
|`- Re: verizon compatible smart cell phoneJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phoneChris
 +* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonenospam
 |`* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phoneBoris
 | `- Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonenospam
 +* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonesms
 |`- Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonenospam
 `* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phoneTheo
  +* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonenospam
  |`* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phoneJoerg Lorenz
  | `- Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonenospam
  +- Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonesms
  `* Re: verizon compatible smart cell phoneKen Hart
   `- Re: verizon compatible smart cell phonesms

1
verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t2voop$1thd$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30191&group=comp.mobile.android#30191

From: kwha...@frontier.com (Ken Hart)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: verizon compatible smart cell phone
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 19:21:11 -0400
 by: Ken Hart - Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:21 UTC

Is there a list of all verizon compatible smart cell phones?

Searching tells me I need the imei but I won't have that until I decide what
phone to purchase. By then it's too late.

Where is a list of all current smart cell phones that work on verizon?
--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<100420222017468275%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30192&group=comp.mobile.android#30192

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:17:46 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 00:17 UTC

In article <t2voop$1thd$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Ken Hart
<kwhart1@frontier.com> wrote:

> Is there a list of all verizon compatible smart cell phones?
>
> Searching tells me I need the imei but I won't have that until I decide what
> phone to purchase. By then it's too late.
>
> Where is a list of all current smart cell phones that work on verizon?

to guarantee compatibility, buy it from verizon.

otherwise, anything recent, unlocked and with the appropriate lte bands
should work. verizon uses 5g mmw which currently has very limited
deployment. that will eventually change, but it will be a while.

<https://www.droid-life.com/2022/03/01/us-wireless-carrier-bands-gsm-cdm
a-wcdma-lte-verizon-att-sprint-tmobile/>

an imei is useful for checking if a specific handset is blacklisted
and/or fec locked, which won't apply for a new handset.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t30ob5$cbj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30199&group=comp.mobile.android#30199

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 10:19:49 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 08:19 UTC

Am 11.04.22 um 02:17 schrieb nospam:
> In article <t2voop$1thd$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Ken Hart
> <kwhart1@frontier.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a list of all verizon compatible smart cell phones?
>>
>> Searching tells me I need the imei but I won't have that until I decide what
>> phone to purchase. By then it's too late.
>>
>> Where is a list of all current smart cell phones that work on verizon?
>
> to guarantee compatibility, buy it from verizon.

No one buys a commodity in a Drug Store for prescription medication.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t31h1l$op2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30215&group=comp.mobile.android#30215

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:21:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q437HiqvlhSB7thdWcEfx+Qzj0Y=
 by: Chris - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:21 UTC

Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com> wrote:
> Is there a list of all verizon compatible smart cell phones?
>
> Searching tells me I need the imei but I won't have that until I decide what
> phone to purchase. By then it's too late.
>
> Where is a list of all current smart cell phones that work on verizon?

In 2022 there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between any phone and
any network. If there is you're on the wrong network.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<110420221211482028%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30224&group=comp.mobile.android#30224

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 12:11:48 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:11 UTC

In article <t31h1l$op2$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Where is a list of all current smart cell phones that work on verizon?
>
> In 2022 there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between any phone and
> any network. If there is you're on the wrong network.

there definitely are issues because carriers like to lock their phones
to prevent people from switching.

even verizon locks their phones, in direct violation of fcc rules. they
bribed ajit ¼, previously fcc chairman, to not prosecute them.

there are also band incompatibilities, usually in low end phones which
don't cover all of the bands. without all of a carrier's bands, a phone
might 'work', just not optimally.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t31l00$rbh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30228&group=comp.mobile.android#30228

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 09:28:47 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:28 UTC

On 4/11/2022 8:21 AM, Chris wrote:
> Ken Hart <kwhart1@frontier.com> wrote:
>> Is there a list of all verizon compatible smart cell phones?
>>
>> Searching tells me I need the imei but I won't have that until I decide what
>> phone to purchase. By then it's too late.
>>
>> Where is a list of all current smart cell phones that work on verizon?
>
> In 2022 there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between any phone and
> any network. If there is you're on the wrong network.

While there aren't really any compatibility issues that hasn't stopped
carriers, especially AT&T and Verizon, from restricting which phones can
be used on their networks. Many of the Chinese brand phones, that you
can buy online (Xiaomi, Oppo, etc.) can't be activated directly
(generally you can activate a SIM in a phone that's on their approved
list then move the SIM into a phone that they will not otherwise activate).

You can't go by model names either, you have to drill down to specific
sub-model numbers, and even then they may have restricted IMEIs of the
phones that will work.

There's also differences between some phones that are sold unlocked
versus sold for Verizon, in terms of which 5G bands they support.
Samsung had one model of the A52 5G that was for Verizon, and that
worked on their 5G UW, and one model that was for AT&T or T-Mobile or
unlocked that worked on Verizon but not 5G UW. They also have non-U.S.
models that don't support Verizon 5G UW.

The bottom line is that the IMEI is really the only way to be sure. If
buying a phone online, then check the IMEI (printed on the box) before
breaking the seal on the box. In a store you can check the IMEI in the
store.

With the iPhone, since the iPhone 11, there has been only a single model
number for each U.S. model, regardless of the carrier.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<110420221325428174%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30232&group=comp.mobile.android#30232

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 13:25:42 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:25 UTC

In article <t31l00$rbh$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> The bottom line is that the IMEI is really the only way to be sure.

the make/model is sufficient.

checking the imei is only needed for used phones to be sure it's not
blacklisted or fec locked.

> With the iPhone, since the iPhone 11, there has been only a single model
> number for each U.S. model, regardless of the carrier.

that is false.

how is it you get so much wrong?

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<OJg*3dsLy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30236&group=comp.mobile.android#30236

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 11 Apr 2022 20:39:08 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:39 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> In 2022 there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between any phone and
> any network. If there is you're on the wrong network.

There still are, because not all carriers support all bands, and no phone
supports all bands. If anything, with 4G and 5G it's got worse.

Sites like:
https://www.frequencycheck.com/
will provide the specific answers. This is for Verizon:
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/mL6W5/verizon-wireless-united-states/devices

but it also mentions that Verizon only allows approved devices (and doesn't
have that list). So presumably that is what the OP is asking about.

Theo

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<110420221640208818%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30238&group=comp.mobile.android#30238

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 16:40:20 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 20:40 UTC

In article <OJg*3dsLy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> but it also mentions that Verizon only allows approved devices (and doesn't
> have that list).

that's another issue.

even if a device is fully compatible with verizon, if it's not an
approved device and whitelisted, verizon will refuse to activate it.

the way around that is activate a sim in another device and swap it
(only activation is blocked), which is not always an option.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t32a58$anb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30242&group=comp.mobile.android#30242

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 15:29:59 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 22:29 UTC

On 4/11/2022 12:39 PM, Theo wrote:

<snip>

> but it also mentions that Verizon only allows approved devices (and doesn't
> have that list). So presumably that is what the OP is asking about.

That's the issue. It's not just whether a phone is compatible or not,
it's whether or not it's also an approved Verizon device that Verizon
will allow to be activated. In the past, the workaround was to activate
the SIM card on an approved device then move the SIM card to an
unapproved device.

Verizon doesn't publish a complete list of compatible phones. You can
look at the Visible list and be pretty sure that the phones on that list
are compatible on Verizon, or look at the phones sold by Verizon's
prepaid services (Tracfone, Total Wireless, Page Plus) and Verizon's
MVNOs (US Mobile, etc.). But the bottom line is they the IMEI should be
checked, and as the original poster pointed out, you don't have the IMEI
until you have the phone. You can check the IMEI if you're buying an
unlocked phone at a brick and mortar store like Best Buy but if you're
ordering a phone online you can't check the IMEI in advance.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t32ejb$bri$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30244&group=comp.mobile.android#30244

From: kwha...@frontier.com (Ken Hart)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 19:45:59 -0400
 by: Ken Hart - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:45 UTC

On 4/11/2022 3:39 PM, Theo wrote:

> There still are, because not all carriers support all bands, and no phone
> supports all bands. If anything, with 4G and 5G it's got worse.
>
> Sites like:
> https://www.frequencycheck.com/
> will provide the specific answers. This is for Verizon:
> https://www.frequencycheck.com/carrier-compatibility/mL6W5/verizon-wireless-united-states/devices
>
> but it also mentions that Verizon only allows approved devices (and doesn't
> have that list). So presumably that is what the OP is asking about.

You understand the situation good because if you want to buy online you
won't have the imei and you can't call Verizon for every phone without
pulling your hair out.

It would be better to narrow it down first to a handful by checking the
specifications against a frequency list.

I didn't expect the frequencycheck site to have fifteen thousand phones!

I was trying to find what frequencies to look for in phonearena or gsmarena
spec sheets that work on Verizon because I couldn'd find the list of
approved phones.
--
Ken Hart
kwhart1@frontier.com

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<XnsAE76AB3DD30EDnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30245&group=comp.mobile.android#30245

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (Boris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:50:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Boris - Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:50 UTC

nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> In article <t31h1l$op2$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > Where is a list of all current smart cell phones that work on
>> > verizon?
>>
>> In 2022 there shouldn't be any compatibility issues between any phone
>> and any network. If there is you're on the wrong network.
>
> there definitely are issues because carriers like to lock their phones
> to prevent people from switching.
>
> even verizon locks their phones, in direct violation of fcc rules.
> they bribed ajit �, previously fcc chairman, to not prosecute them.

Citation, please.

> there are also band incompatibilities, usually in low end phones which
> don't cover all of the bands. without all of a carrier's bands, a
> phone might 'work', just not optimally.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t32fna$b65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30246&group=comp.mobile.android#30246

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 17:04:56 -0700
 by: sms - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 00:04 UTC

On 4/11/2022 4:45 PM, Ken Hart wrote:

<snip>

> I didn't expect the frequencycheck site to have fifteen thousand phones!
>
> I was trying to find what frequencies to look for in phonearena or gsmarena
> spec sheets that work on Verizon because I couldn'd find the list of
> approved phones.

I think that using a search engine like Phone Scoop, and putting in the
Verizon mmWave 5G bands (n260 and n261) as requirements, is a good way
to narrow down the search for Verizon compatible phones, i.e.
<https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder_results.php?w=s&car=0&avr=r&av_2=y&av_3=y&plr=r&pl_20=y&drr=0&m15r=r&m12r=r&f32r=r&f32_3=y&f55r=r>.

One of the most economical ways to acquire a Verizon compatible phone at
a good price is to port to Verizon's Visible service, at least for a few
months. Once the phone is unlocked (after 60 days), and you receive your
$200 Visa gift card, you can continue on Visible for $25 per month or
you can switch back to Verizon and use the phone that you bought from
Visible <https://www.visible.com/shop/smartphones>.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<110420222114436590%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30248&group=comp.mobile.android#30248

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2022 21:14:43 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 12 Apr 2022 01:14 UTC

In article <XnsAE76AB3DD30EDnospamnospaminvalid@144.76.35.252>, Boris
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > even verizon locks their phones, in direct violation of fcc rules.
> > they bribed ajit ¼, previously fcc chairman, to not prosecute them.
>
> Citation, please.

in exchange for licensing the 700 mhz c-block spectrum, verizon was
*prohibited* from locking their phones:

<https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16>
47 CFR § 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in
the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands.
(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features
on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are
compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of
this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of
such handsets on other providers' networks.

they now lock them in direct violation of the rules, and ajit ¼, who
was fcc chairman at the time and previously a lawyer for verizon, did
absolutely nothing. the only way that can happen is being paid off to
look the other way.

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<t3gkrt$v7q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30529&group=comp.mobile.android#30529

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 10:58:37 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 08:58 UTC

Am 11.04.22 um 22:40 schrieb nospam:
> In article <OJg*3dsLy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> but it also mentions that Verizon only allows approved devices (and doesn't
>> have that list).
>
> that's another issue.
>
> even if a device is fully compatible with verizon, if it's not an
> approved device and whitelisted, verizon will refuse to activate it.

This is in fact illegal market behavior. Why does the FCC not act on
such mafia structures?

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: verizon compatible smart cell phone

<170420220653524809%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30534&group=comp.mobile.android#30534

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 06:53:52 -0400
 by: nospam - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 10:53 UTC

In article <t3gkrt$v7q$1@dont-email.me>, Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> > even if a device is fully compatible with verizon, if it's not an
> > approved device and whitelisted, verizon will refuse to activate it.
>
> This is in fact illegal market behavior.

although verizon does many illegal things, that is not one of them.

they can choose which devices to support, even if it annoys customers.

> Why does the FCC not act on
> such mafia structures?

mostly because the chairman of the fcc used to work at verizon, which
is how they were able to bypass the requirement to sell only unlocked
phones in exchange for part of their lte spectrum.