Would you people stop playing these stupid games?!?!?!!!!

computers / comp.mobile.android / Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

SubjectAuthor
* Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidNewsKrawler
+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidFrank Slootweg
|+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidJ. P. Gilliver (John)
||`- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidFrank Slootweg
|`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
| +- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
| `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidbadgolferman
|`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidTheo
| `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
+* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
|`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
| `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidChris
 `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
  +* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  | `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |  `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  |   `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |    `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  +* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidJ. P. Gilliver (John)
  |+- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
  | `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |  `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  |   +* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
  |   |`* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAndy Burnelli
  |   | `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAlan
  |   `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidAlan
  `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidChris
   +- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
   `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
    +- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam
    `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to AndroidChris
     `* Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidsms
      `- Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Androidnospam

Pages:12
Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t38a3r$3kipo$1@paganini.bofh.team>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30311&group=comp.mobile.android#30311

From: newskr...@krawl.org (NewsKrawler)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 05:06:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: NewsKrawler - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 05:06 UTC

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/13/23024399/google-switch-to-android-iphone-app-unlisted
Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

The unlisted Switch to Android app for iOS is now available to download
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1581816143

Google has quietly released a free app for iOS to help you easily carry over
data from an iPhone to an Android device. The Switch To Android app works
wirelessly, meaning you won't have to worry about connecting the two phones
with a cable.

"The Switch to Android app from Google helps you quickly and securely move
your most important data types - photos, videos, contacts, and calendar
events - to a brand new Android device without fussy cables," according to
the app's description on the App Store.

That list does not include messages, so it appears the app won't be able to
transfer those, though it will walk you through how to turn off iMessage so
"you don't miss text messages from friends and family.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t39ur4.9bc.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30322&group=comp.mobile.android#30322

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 14 Apr 2022 18:06:14 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:06 UTC

NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/13/23024399/google-switch-to-android-iphone-app-unlisted
> Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android
>
> The unlisted Switch to Android app for iOS is now available to download
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1581816143
>
> Google has quietly released a free app for iOS to help you easily carry over
> data from an iPhone to an Android device. The Switch To Android app works
> wirelessly, meaning you won't have to worry about connecting the two phones
> with a cable.
>
> "The Switch to Android app from Google helps you quickly and securely move
> your most important data types - photos, videos, contacts, and calendar
> events - to a brand new Android device without fussy cables," according to
> the app's description on the App Store.
>
> That list does not include messages, so it appears the app won't be able to
> transfer those, though it will walk you through how to turn off iMessage so
> "you don't miss text messages from friends and family.

FYI, for Samsung phones, such an app already exists, Samsung Smart
Switch.

'Switch from iPhone to Samsung'
<https://www.samsung.com/us/support/switch-to-galaxy/iphone>

AFAIK, for iPhone to Samsung phone, you use the Smart Switch app only
on the Samsung/Android side. (For any Android phone to Samsung phone,
you use the Smart Switch app on both phones.)

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t39on2$90a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30323&group=comp.mobile.android#30323

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:21:35 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:21 UTC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 12:06:14, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
wrote: (my responses usually follow points raised):
> FYI, for Samsung phones, such an app already exists, Samsung Smart
> Switch.
>
> 'Switch from iPhone to Samsung'
> <https://www.samsung.com/us/support/switch-to-galaxy/iphone>
>
> AFAIK, for iPhone to Samsung phone, you use the Smart Switch app only
> on the Samsung/Android side. (For any Android phone to Samsung phone,
> you use the Smart Switch app on both phones.)

Does that Samsung Smart Switch app bring over all the iMessages?

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t39one$7hm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30324&group=comp.mobile.android#30324

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 11:21:33 -0700
 by: sms - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:21 UTC

On 4/14/2022 11:06 AM, Frank Slootweg wrote:

<snip>

> AFAIK, for iPhone to Samsung phone, you use the Smart Switch app only
> on the Samsung/Android side. (For any Android phone to Samsung phone,
> you use the Smart Switch app on both phones.)

You still have to manually install all the apps. If you have paid apps,
some can be installed without paying again, but not always.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<140420221438447620%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30327&group=comp.mobile.android#30327

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 14:38:44 -0400
 by: nospam - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:38 UTC

In article <t39one$7hm$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> > AFAIK, for iPhone to Samsung phone, you use the Smart Switch app only
> > on the Samsung/Android side. (For any Android phone to Samsung phone,
> > you use the Smart Switch app on both phones.)
>
> You still have to manually install all the apps. If you have paid apps,
> some can be installed without paying again, but not always.

false. paid apps do not transfer when switching platforms, in either
direction.

apps that have their own payment options (e.g., netflix), are
independent of the app stores, thus a subscription can carry over
across platforms because it's directly with the provider, not apple or
google. the apps themselves are free. the user only needs to
re-authenticate with their login credentials after installing.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t39pog$r0k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30328&group=comp.mobile.android#30328

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:39:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:39 UTC

sms wrote:

>> AFAIK, for iPhone to Samsung phone, you use the Smart Switch app only
>> on the Samsung/Android side. (For any Android phone to Samsung phone,
>> you use the Smart Switch app on both phones.)
>
> You still have to manually install all the apps. If you have paid apps,
> some can be installed without paying again, but not always.

To strive to add value for the Android-to-Android migrations...

If you use the FOSS Google Play Store Client, then manually re-installing
all the user-added apps is easy since that FOSS Google Play Store Client
automagically "does not delete" the APKs you downloaded off of the Google
Play Store repository. You simply swap the sdcard and re-install.

If you're going from iOS to Android, then, I'm not sure what's the most
efficient, but one idea to help people migrating is that your Google Account
remembers what apps you have downloaded from the Google Play Store, doesn't
it?

If your Google Account remembers your Android apps that came from the Google
Play Store app, then one option perhaps is to log into your Google Account
on a web browser (on a desktop would be easier), and then just download, en
masse, all the apps you had installed on your previous Android phone.

Bear in mind I don't have a Google Account on my phone so it wouldn't work
for me but wouldn't that work for most people moving from Android to
Android?

As for moving from iOS to Android, both Steve and I have both platforms
which we both use every day, where the switch from one to the other isn't
all that different except where iOS just doesn't do stuff that Android does.

Otherwise, they're about the same so the switch isn't too bad, particularly
if all you do are the basics on iOS (phone, messaging, gaming, etc.).

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t39q1p$vb4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30329&group=comp.mobile.android#30329

From: REMOVETH...@gmail.com (badgolferman)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:44:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: badgolferman - Thu, 14 Apr 2022 18:44 UTC

NewsKrawler <newskrawl@krawl.org> wrote:

> That list does not include messages, so it appears the app won't be able to
> transfer those, though it will walk you through how to turn off iMessage so
> "you don't miss text messages from friends and family.

Why wouldn't text messages go to both the old iOS on wi-fi perhaps and also
to the new Android sms & mms app on either wi-fi or cellular data internet?

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3ajs4$151$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30339&group=comp.mobile.android#30339

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 19:04:50 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 02:04 UTC

On 4/13/2022 10:06 PM, NewsKrawler wrote:
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/13/23024399/google-switch-to-android-iphone-app-unlisted
> Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android
>
> The unlisted Switch to Android app for iOS is now available to download
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1581816143
>
> Google has quietly released a free app for iOS to help you easily carry over
> data from an iPhone to an Android device. The Switch To Android app works
> wirelessly, meaning you won't have to worry about connecting the two phones
> with a cable.

Somehow I don't think that this app is going to make much of a
difference. There will continue to be migration in both directions.

According to Apple, between Q3 2019 and Q3 2020, 12%-26% of iPhone
owners switched to Android. The number of Android users that switched to
iOS was not revealed, but Apple routinely claims that a lot of Android
users are moving to iOS.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3bffh$vru$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30347&group=comp.mobile.android#30347

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:56:01 +0100
 by: Chris - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:56 UTC

On 14/04/2022 06:06, NewsKrawler wrote:
> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/13/23024399/google-switch-to-android-iphone-app-unlisted
> Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android
>
> The unlisted Switch to Android app for iOS is now available to download
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1581816143

I mean if it's on the App Store, it's hardly a secret. :D

When I start a search on the App Store for "switch" it's the third
option suggested.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3bs76$3t2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30349&group=comp.mobile.android#30349

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 06:33:24 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:33 UTC

On 4/15/2022 2:56 AM, Chris wrote:
> On 14/04/2022 06:06, NewsKrawler wrote:
>> https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/13/23024399/google-switch-to-android-iphone-app-unlisted
>>
>> Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android
>>
>> The unlisted Switch to Android app for iOS is now available to download
>> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1581816143
>
> I mean if it's on the App Store, it's hardly a secret. :D
>
> When I start a search on the App Store for "switch" it's the third
> option suggested.

Well that's true, but you only knew to even look for it after
"Newskrawler" mentioned it.

The headline I saw said "Google quietly launches its awaited ‘Switch to
Android’ app on iOS."
<https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/13/google-quietly-launches-its-awaited-switch-to-android-app-on-ios/>.

There's the opposite app, "Move to iOS," on the Google Play Store
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.movetoios> so
the optics of Apple not allowing the "Switch To Android" app would not
have been good. The reviews of this app, which has been installed over
1oo,000,000 times, are not wonderful.

When I got an iPhone the bigger issue of migrating over, that these apps
don't address, is automatically installing apps, even when the same app
from the same source is available for both platforms. That should be an
option. Of course when going from Android to iOS several apps that I use
frequently were not available for iOS because the iPhone hardware or iOS
don't support or allow them.

---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------
✓ 34 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had ✓
✓ 156 Android & Android Phone Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish
they Had ✓

<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>

✓ 66 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations ✓

✓ 100% Fact Checked ✓
---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221003183786%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30351&group=comp.mobile.android#30351

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:03:18 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:03 UTC

In article <t3bs76$3t2$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> There's the opposite app, "Move to iOS," on the Google Play Store
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.movetoios> so
> the optics of Apple not allowing the "Switch To Android" app would not
> have been good. The reviews of this app, which has been installed over
> 1oo,000,000 times, are not wonderful.

most of those reviews are from android fanbois who are bashing the app
because they have nothing better to do.

> When I got an iPhone the bigger issue of migrating over, that these apps
> don't address, is automatically installing apps, even when the same app
> from the same source is available for both platforms. That should be an
> option.

although it would be convenient, it's not something that's possible
because customer purchase data is not made available. if it was, then
it could be exploited by those with nefarious intent.

> Of course when going from Android to iOS several apps that I use
> frequently were not available for iOS because the iPhone hardware or iOS
> don't support or allow them.

of course, that works in both directions.

there are numerous apps only available on ios because android devices
lack the necessary functionality for such apps or it's not common
enough for developers to bother, it's easier to write ios apps and ios
is more lucrative for developers.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3c9in$bnk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30357&group=comp.mobile.android#30357

From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:21:41 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:21 UTC

On 15 Apr 2022, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in
comp.mobile.android:

> Of course when going from Android to iOS several apps that I use
> frequently were not available for iOS because the iPhone hardware or iOS
> don't support or allow them.

Do you think that's due to hardware or the lack of an available public API?

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3c9u9$eb4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30358&group=comp.mobile.android#30358

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:27:36 +0100
 by: Chris - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:27 UTC

On 15/04/2022 14:33, sms wrote:

> When I got an iPhone the bigger issue of migrating over, that these apps
> don't address, is automatically installing apps, even when the same app
> from the same source is available for both platforms. That should be an
> option.

I doubt very much there's a safe way to implement that. It would be open
to abuse via spoofing.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221330058179%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30359&group=comp.mobile.android#30359

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:30:05 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:30 UTC

In article <t3c9in$bnk$1@dont-email.me>, J. P. Gilliver (John)
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> > Of course when going from Android to iOS several apps that I use
> > frequently were not available for iOS because the iPhone hardware or iOS
> > don't support or allow them.
>
> Do you think that's due to hardware or the lack of an available public API?

it's false.

there are apps on *both* platforms that are impossible on the other.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221330068253%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30360&group=comp.mobile.android#30360

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:30:06 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:30 UTC

In article <t3c9u9$eb4$1@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > When I got an iPhone the bigger issue of migrating over, that these apps
> > don't address, is automatically installing apps, even when the same app
> > from the same source is available for both platforms. That should be an
> > option.
>
> I doubt very much there's a safe way to implement that. It would be open
> to abuse via spoofing.

one of many problems.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3cadm$i1p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30361&group=comp.mobile.android#30361

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:35:48 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:35 UTC

On 4/15/2022 10:21 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2022, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in
> comp.mobile.android:
>
>> Of course when going from Android to iOS several apps that I use
>> frequently were not available for iOS because the iPhone hardware or
>> iOS don't support or allow them.
>
> Do you think that's due to hardware or the lack of an available public API?

It's some of both.

The iPhone lacks some of the hardware that is present in my Samsung Note
9 so there's no way that some applications could ever work. But not all
Android phones have that hardware either. The Galaxy Note 9 was the last
fully-featured Samsung flagship model before they fell into the
decontenting trap. The current Samsung flagship S22 doesn't have a
MicroSD card slot, doesn't have a headphone jack (so you also lose the
FM Radio), and doesn't have MST. At least they retained ANT+ support.

For some of the Android apps with no iOS equivalent it's because either
the operating system doesn't allow them or because they are not allowed
in the App Store, even though all the hardware is there. Some of the
apps not available in the App Store are available on jailbroken iPhones,
though some of those apps no longer work either.

A lot of this is detailed in the document.

I still use my iPhone as my primary device though!

---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------

✓ 34 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had ✓
✓ 156 Android & Android Phone Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish
they Had ✓

<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>

✓ 66 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations ✓

✓ 100% Fact Checked ✓
---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3casa$li9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30362&group=comp.mobile.android#30362

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:43:37 -0700
 by: sms - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:43 UTC

On 4/15/2022 10:27 AM, Chris wrote:
> On 15/04/2022 14:33, sms wrote:
>>

>> When I got an iPhone the bigger issue of migrating over, that these
>> apps don't address, is automatically installing apps, even when the
>> same app from the same source is available for both platforms. That
>> should be an option.
>
> I doubt very much there's a safe way to implement that. It would be open
> to abuse via spoofing.

I think that they could implement it in a safe way. They can present a
list of installed apps and have the user indicate which ones, for apps
that have the same name from the same publisher, the user wants to
install. A lot of apps are ones that are very popular, looking at my
iPhone and Android phones, the number of more esoteric apps is pretty
small, while the number of apps that the two platforms have in common is
pretty large. Plus, it would not migrate the credentials for any of the
apps, it would just install the apps.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221351124211%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30364&group=comp.mobile.android#30364

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:51:12 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:51 UTC

In article <t3cadm$i1p$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> The iPhone lacks some of the hardware that is present in my Samsung Note
> 9 so there's no way that some applications could ever work.

your samsung also lacks hardware that the iphone has. quite a bit, in
fact.

no device does everything.

> But not all
> Android phones have that hardware either.

which means there's less incentive for developers to bother writing an
app that would only work on a small subset of phones.

> For some of the Android apps with no iOS equivalent it's because either
> the operating system doesn't allow them or because they are not allowed
> in the App Store, even though all the hardware is there.

both of those are very rare.

almost always, the lack of a particular app is because there is
insufficient demand to bother writing it.

there are advantages and disadvantages to both platforms.

> A lot of this is detailed in the document.

which has been repeatedly debunked, but you'll never correct any of it
because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221351134288%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30365&group=comp.mobile.android#30365

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:51:13 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:51 UTC

In article <t3casa$li9$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> >> When I got an iPhone the bigger issue of migrating over, that these
> >> apps don't address, is automatically installing apps, even when the
> >> same app from the same source is available for both platforms. That
> >> should be an option.
> >
> > I doubt very much there's a safe way to implement that. It would be open
> > to abuse via spoofing.
>
> I think that they could implement it in a safe way.

they cannot, and it's also a breach of privacy to share purchase data.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3ccj2$1kn6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30367&group=comp.mobile.android#30367

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:13:03 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:13 UTC

nospam wrote:

> almost always, the lack of a particular app is because there is
> insufficient demand to bother writing it.

Then why do respectable developers complain they aren't allowed on iOS?

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3ccpi$1o40$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30368&group=comp.mobile.android#30368

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:16:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:16 UTC

nospam wrote:

> there are numerous apps only available on ios because android devices
> lack the necessary functionality for such apps...

Name just one.

> or it's not common
> enough for developers to bother,

Then why is it almost always the case when you search on iOS for specific
functionality, there's _nothing_ and yet, on Android, there are zillions?

> it's easier to write ios apps and ios
> is more lucrative for developers.

The truth is nospam has _never_ named even a _single_ functionality on iOS
(all by its itty bitty self) that isn't _already_ on Android (long ago).

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221440201083%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30370&group=comp.mobile.android#30370

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:40:20 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:40 UTC

In article <t3ccj2$1kn6$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > almost always, the lack of a particular app is because there is
> > insufficient demand to bother writing it.
>
> Then why do respectable developers complain they aren't allowed on iOS?

respectable developers don't do that.

of the developers that do complain, it's almost always because they
don't know how to do something and instead of investigating what to do,
they prefer to blame someone else than accept the fact they're inept.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<150420221440221223%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30372&group=comp.mobile.android#30372

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:40:22 -0400
 by: nospam - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:40 UTC

In article <t3ccpi$1o40$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > there are numerous apps only available on ios because android devices
> > lack the necessary functionality for such apps...
>
> Name just one.

btdt.

> > or it's not common
> > enough for developers to bother,
>
> Then why is it almost always the case when you search on iOS for specific
> functionality, there's _nothing_ and yet, on Android, there are zillions?

that is false.

if you're actually finding 'zillions' on android and nothing on ios,
then your search skills need work, among other things.

> > it's easier to write ios apps and ios
> > is more lucrative for developers.
>
> The truth is nospam has _never_ named even a _single_ functionality on iOS
> (all by its itty bitty self) that isn't _already_ on Android (long ago).

actually, i've named numerous ones, and you ignored al of them because
it shows just how ignorant you are.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3cejg$k1f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30373&group=comp.mobile.android#30373

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:47:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:47 UTC

nospam wrote:

>>> almost always, the lack of a particular app is because there is
>>> insufficient demand to bother writing it.
>>
>> Then why do respectable developers complain they aren't allowed on iOS?
>
> respectable developers don't do that.

Yes they do. Quite often. Apple _cripples_ app functionality in iOS.
The reason the iPhone is crippled isn't the hardware - it's Apple.

> of the developers that do complain, it's almost always because they
> don't know how to do something and instead of investigating what to do,
> they prefer to blame someone else than accept the fact they're inept.

The developers of the Tor Browser outright say Apple _crippled_ privacy.

*Can I run Tor Browser on an iOS device?*
<https://support.torproject.org/tormobile/tormobile-3/>
"Apple requires browsers on iOS to use something called Webkit,
which prevents Onion Browser from having the same privacy protections
as Tor Browser."
--
The reason the iPhone is crippled isn't the hardware - it's Apple.

Re: Google has a secret iOS app to help you switch to Android

<t3cfeg$10k9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30376&group=comp.mobile.android#30376

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 20:01:49 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:01 UTC

nospam wrote:

>>> there are numerous apps only available on ios because android devices
>>> lack the necessary functionality for such apps...
>>
>> Name just one.
>
> btdt.

The clearest mark of you being a bullshitter, nospam, is you can never back
up what you claim.

The fact remains:
a. There's tons of app functionality on Android not on iOS, and yet,
b. There's _zero_ app functionality on iOS not already on Android.

The reason isn't the hardware.
It's that Apple restricts what the apps can do; Google can't.

>>> or it's not common
>>> enough for developers to bother,
>>
>> Then why is it almost always the case when you search on iOS for specific
>> functionality, there's _nothing_ and yet, on Android, there are zillions?
>
> that is false.

Why do you bullshit so obviously when _everyone_ knows it to be true?

What happens in a search of graphical wifi debuggers on Android verses on iOS?

> if you're actually finding 'zillions' on android and nothing on ios,
> then your search skills need work, among other things.

What happens when you search for app launchers on Android verses on iOS?

>>> it's easier to write ios apps and ios
>>> is more lucrative for developers.
>>
>> The truth is nospam has _never_ named even a _single_ functionality on iOS
>> (all by its itty bitty self) that isn't _already_ on Android (long ago).
>
> actually, i've named numerous ones, and you ignored al of them because
> it shows just how ignorant you are.

You've cut and pasted a ton of Apple trademarks, nospam, in the past.
We went down the list of _every_ one and every one was on Android

The clearest mark of a bullshitter like you is you can't name even one.

Name _one_ app functionality on iOS (all by its itty bitty self) that isn't
_already_ on Android, nospam.

Name just one.
--
The reason the iPhone is crippled isn't the hardware - it's Apple restricts
what the apps can do; Google can't.