"It's not just a computer -- it's your ass." -- Cal Keegan

computers / comp.mobile.android / proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

SubjectAuthor
* proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
+* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungJoerg Lorenz
|`- Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
+* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungJoerg Lorenz
|`* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
| `- Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
+- Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungJoerg Lorenz
`* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungVanguardLH
 `* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
  +* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungAndy Burns
  |+* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungAJL
  ||+* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungFrank Slootweg
  |||`- Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
  ||`- Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
  |`- Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungmicky
  `* Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungVanguardLH
   `- Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsungHeron

1
proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<127i5h5kde6cgfjlfij8o6minfk63k1pbc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30340&group=comp.mobile.android#30340

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:20:13 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:20 UTC

I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
things.

How do I get out of it?

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<t3b852$f8u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30341&group=comp.mobile.android#30341

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:50:58 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:50 UTC

Am 15.04.22 um 09:20 schrieb micky:
> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
> things.
>
> How do I get out of it?

What do the Operating Manual and Google say?

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<459i5hl0k1lrae88abcm49r2elk5gr4dvj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30342&group=comp.mobile.android#30342

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:54:45 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:54 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:50:58 +0200, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 15.04.22 um 09:20 schrieb micky:
>> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
>> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
>> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
>> things.
>>
>> How do I get out of it?
>
>What do the Operating Manual and Google say?

The operating manual says nothing, and google does't address it.

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<t3b8fp$h8o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30343&group=comp.mobile.android#30343

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:56:41 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:56 UTC

Am 15.04.22 um 09:20 schrieb micky:
> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
> things.
>
> How do I get out of it?

https://www.samsung.com/en/support/#productsupport

There you will find the manual and the instruction.

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<t3b8l2$h8o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30344&group=comp.mobile.android#30344

From: hugyb...@gmx.ch (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:59:29 +0200
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 07:59 UTC

Am 15.04.22 um 09:20 schrieb micky:
> Samsung with accidental touch protection

This expression turns in this:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=samsung+accidental+touch+protection+turn+off+

--
De gustibus non est disputandum

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<1teqhb9mah0jo$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30348&group=comp.mobile.android#30348

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 05:28:20 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 10:28 UTC

micky wrote:

> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
> things.
>
> How do I get out of it?

My guess on the unidentified smartphone (typical of your posts) is that
you chose a particular *pattern* to swipe to unlock, not just a general
swipe in any direction. You need to replicate the pattern when swiping
your finger across the screen to unlock the phone.

My other guess is you don't just swipe anywhere on the screen. You have
to start the swipe from a specific location or using a specific icon to
move it (swipe). When the phone is locked, does something appear on the
screen that wasn't there before you enabled swipe protection?

https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/mobile-devices/how-to-block-accidental-touches-on-your-galaxy-smartphone/

says swipe protection is active "when it's in a dark place". That means
the light sensor is blocked, so the phone goes dark to save battery
power on a display that is hidden. Do you have anything atop the light
sensor (screen protector, especially one with a mask, a cover, or
anything else over the light sensor)? Is your fingers or hand over the
light sensor? A manual for your unidentified smartphone (Samsung is a
brand name, and they make many models and variants) should give a layout
of the controls on the phone, like where is the light sensor. Could be
the light sensor is damaged, so the phone is always sensing it is in a
dark location. Lots of users are abusive to their phones. When you go
to use the phone, and it is locked by swipe protection, is the phone in
a bright location, or in a dark area in your car? Turn on a dome or
overhead light, so the phone knows it is no longer in a dark place.

Is there a separate fingerprint sensor on the phone (not on the screen,
but a separate control)?

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<g0qi5hli3229b4bpjalv1piocf8bk240ih@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30352&group=comp.mobile.android#30352

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:11:34 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:11 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 05:28:20 -0500, VanguardLH
<V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
>> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
>> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
>> things.
>>
>> How do I get out of it?
>
>My guess on the unidentified smartphone (typical of your posts) is that

I said it was a Samsung. I'm sure all the Samsungs use the same method,
(although new releases of the software might change the system, for all
of them.)

>you chose a particular *pattern* to swipe to unlock, not just a general
>swipe in any direction. You need to replicate the pattern when swiping
>your finger across the screen to unlock the phone.

It shows arrows to the left and right. I didn't go into this becaue I
don't expect people without some experience with Samsungs to be likely
to answer the question. Or better put, they already know this.

>My other guess is you don't just swipe anywhere on the screen. You have
>to start the swipe from a specific location or using a specific icon to

Yes, there is a circle in the center of the display, and I start there.
The multi-headed arrows point to the left and right, and I swipe to the
left and right, and nothing happens. Then I start swiping like a madman
in all directions. I accidentally pushed the power button and maybe
doing it twice would work, but I can't get this warning to appear so I
can test that.

>move it (swipe). When the phone is locked, does something appear on the
>screen that wasn't there before you enabled swipe protection?

Terminology confuses me. I guess I have a lock screen, but I have no
password or fingerprint or other requirement. I'm not sure what you
mean by swipe protection. The protection in the subject line is for
touch protection when the phone is in the dark, like one's pocket.

I always** turn the screen dark before I put it in my pocket** so maybe
I don't need this accidental protectino. **Though it frequently turns
back on again. :-( A problem for another thread. (I've googled and none
of hte suggestions apply to me.)

**Wait.... I used to until 3 days ago. Lately, when I'm taking pictures
I sometimes leave everything on when I put it in my pocket. It keeps
switching to Portrait (which doesn't allow zooming) but I think I must
do that when it's out of my pocket. The Xiaomi phone I have doesn't
require going through the lock (or whatever screen) when bringing the
screen back up.

I think this accidental touch protection was enabled by default.

>https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/mobile-devices/how-to-block-accidental-touches-on-your-galaxy-smartphone/

Thanks. This is on the right topic, but it tells how to turn on the
feature, not how to turn it off each time, that is, how to get out of
protection, once it has activated.

I'm going to try turning it off altogehter and see if I miss the
protection.

>says swipe protection is active "when it's in a dark place". That means
>the light sensor is blocked, so the phone goes dark to save battery
>power on a display that is hidden. Do you have anything atop the light
>sensor (screen protector, especially one with a mask, a cover, or
>anything else over the light sensor)? Is your fingers or hand over the
>light sensor? A manual for your unidentified smartphone (Samsung is a
>brand name, and they make many models and variants) should give a layout
>of the controls on the phone, like where is the light sensor. Could be
>the light sensor is damaged, so the phone is always sensing it is in a
>dark location. Lots of users are abusive to their phones. When you go
>to use the phone, and it is locked by swipe protection, is the phone in
>a bright location, or in a dark area in your car? Turn on a dome or
>overhead light, so the phone knows it is no longer in a dark place.
>
>Is there a separate fingerprint sensor on the phone (not on the screen,
>but a separate control)?

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<v8vi5ht5nlf99ud7tsc7uhe63idd8il8pf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30353&group=comp.mobile.android#30353

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:16:23 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:16 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:56:41 +0200, Joerg Lorenz
<hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:

>Am 15.04.22 um 09:20 schrieb micky:
>> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
>> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
>> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
>> things.
>>
>> How do I get out of it?
>
>https://www.samsung.com/en/support/#productsupport
>
>There you will find the manual and the instruction.

One problem is that I bought the phone in Greece, and its page is in
Greek. There is a USA page and othwer En glish language, but today I
haven't found the Galaxy A30. I thhink I got the manual for it years
ago and it was much too brief to answer this question. It ddidn't eeven
mention turning on Accidental Touch Protection, let alone how to swipe
out of it. As I said in the other post.

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<e71j5h51i9v4fihak1u86mathht34ciokg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30354&group=comp.mobile.android#30354

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:47:56 +0300
 by: micky - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:47 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:16:23 +0300, micky
<NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

>In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 09:56:41 +0200, Joerg Lorenz
><hugybear@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>>Am 15.04.22 um 09:20 schrieb micky:
>>> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
>>> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
>>> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
>>> things.
>>>
>>> How do I get out of it?
>>
>>https://www.samsung.com/en/support/#productsupport
>>
>>There you will find the manual and the instruction.
>
>One problem is that I bought the phone in Greece, and its page is in
>Greek. There is a USA page and othwer En glish language, but today I
>haven't found the Galaxy A30. I thhink I got the manual for it years
>ago and it was much too brief to answer this question. It ddidn't eeven
>mention turning on Accidental Touch Protection, let alone how to swipe
>out of it. As I said in the other post.

I again found the manual by googling directly and as I recalled it says.

Settings page 102
• Accidental touch protection: Set the device to prevent the screen from
detecting touch input when it is in a dark place, such as a pocket or
bag

That's all it says. And I knew that. That 's typical of manuals
these days. That's why Usenet should be valuable.

I could ask on a samsung forum but they are all on the web and I hate
web forums.

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<jbtg0dF8699U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30355&group=comp.mobile.android#30355

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:06:52 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:06 UTC

micky wrote:

> I said it was a Samsung. I'm sure all the Samsungs use the same method,
> (although new releases of the software might change the system, for all
> of them.)

I happen to have a "spare" Samsung A21s here at the moment, I had to factory
reset it as it had an unknown PIN, then I upgraded it to Android11, it doesn't
have any setting for "accidental touch".

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<t3c35k$q29$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30356&group=comp.mobile.android#30356

From: noem...@none.com (AJL)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:31:58 -0700
 by: AJL - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 15:31 UTC

On 4/15/2022 8:06 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> micky wrote:

>> I said it was a Samsung. I'm sure all the Samsungs use the same
>> method, (although new releases of the software might change the
>> system, for all of them.)

> I happen to have a "spare" Samsung A21s here at the moment, I had to
> factory reset it as it had an unknown PIN, then I upgraded it to
> Android11, it doesn't have any setting for "accidental touch".

Apparently it depends on the Samsung. My Galaxy S10+ Accidental Touch
Protection switch is located in Settings>Display. I leave mine turned
off because I've disabled ALL the screen options when the phone's
asleep. I prefer to wake it the old fashioned way, with the physical
switch...

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<16o50nonx9v0t.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30363&group=comp.mobile.android#30363

From: V...@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 12:48:03 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 17:48 UTC

micky wrote:

> In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 05:28:20 -0500, VanguardLH
> <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>>micky wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Samsung with accidental touch protection. That's good, but
>>> when it turns on, it says Swipe to continue, and I swipe up and down,
>>> front and back, in and out and it's still there. I can't do other
>>> things.
>>>
>>> How do I get out of it?
>>
>>My guess on the unidentified smartphone (typical of your posts) is that
>
> I said it was a Samsung. I'm sure all the Samsungs use the same method,
> (although new releases of the software might change the system, for all
> of them.)

Oh, Samsung ... who has only produced a single model ... uh huh. And
across every version of Android they've had and have on that one phone.
Tell me, when you go to Samsung's web site, do they list only one model
of phone? If nothing changed across major versions of Android, why are
there versions of Android?

I've had Samsung phones before (with older Android versions), and there
was no swipe protection option. I wasn't going to waste time to see if
all currently supported Samsung phone has the option under all versions
of Android which they come bundled.

>> you chose a particular *pattern* to swipe to unlock, not just a
>> general swipe in any direction. You need to replicate the pattern
>> when swiping your finger across the screen to unlock the phone.
>
> It shows arrows to the left and right. I didn't go into this becaue
> I don't expect people without some experience with Samsungs to be
> likely to answer the question. Or better put, they already know
> this.

Those arrows, from what I've seen described online, are to the side of a
padlock icon. So, are you placing your finger on the icon, and then
dragging it to swipe across the screen? Or, are you swiping elsewhere
on the screen?

Besides the swipe protection setting, which type of unlock action did
you pick to unlock the phone? None, swipe (anywhere), pattern, PIN, or
something else?

>> My other guess is you don't just swipe anywhere on the screen. You
>> have to start the swipe from a specific location or using a specific
>> icon to
>
> Yes, there is a circle in the center of the display, and I start there.
> The multi-headed arrows point to the left and right, and I swipe to the
> left and right, and nothing happens.

Ah, sounds like you do what I read to do.

>> move it (swipe). When the phone is locked, does something appear on
>> the screen that wasn't there before you enabled swipe protection?
>
> Terminology confuses me. I guess I have a lock screen, but I have no
> password or fingerprint or other requirement.

You say you have screen lock enabled, but then say no method is chosen
for unlock. Under the Android settings, like Lock Screen & Security
(different versions of Android, especially with different customizations
by different phone makers will have different navpaths into Settings),
for the Lock Screen setting, what is configured there? None, swipe,
knock code, pattern, pin, password? If fingerprints is disabled, that
option should be grayed out (deselected).

> I'm not sure what you mean by swipe protection. The protection in the
> subject line is for touch protection when the phone is in the dark,
> like one's pocket.

Yep, but that's to disable touch sensing when the phone is in the dark,
not when you take the phone out of your pocket to use it in the light.
If you take the phone out of the dark, and then try to use it in the
dark (just using the phone's screen for illumination to see it), that's
not using the screen in the light. You're in a car. Do you turn a
dome/overhead light on at night when in the car, or tested swipe
protection during the day when there's plenty of sunlight entering the
car through the windows?

> I always** turn the screen dark before I put it in my pocket** so maybe
> I don't need this accidental protectino. **Though it frequently turns
> back on again. :-( A problem for another thread. (I've googled and none
> of hte suggestions apply to me.)

An option is to double-tap the screen to lock it. Another option is to
tap the fingerprint reader to lock the screen. You then need to use
whatever method was specified to exit locked screen mode. Just "turning
the screen dark" (reducing brightness) does not lock the screen hence
the appearance of the swipe protection option. Guess Google decided too
many users were butt-dialing from their phones in their pockets. I
don't use pockets for phones, but use a belt holster which gives added
protection, especially from scratching the screen's glass (pocket lint
has silica which is harder than glass). A pocket is the worst place to
stow a phone for carry. Not only is lint harmful to glass, but you're
bending all your pants pockets to stress the phone, and shirt pockets
don't grip to ensure the phone doesn't drop out. Cargo pants with side
pockets would be better, but you're still banging the phone into
anything your thigh hits with just a thin layer of fabric between phone
and impact source. If I carried my phone that way, its screen would be
turned inward (toward the thigh), not outward.

> **Wait.... I used to until 3 days ago. Lately, when I'm taking pictures
> I sometimes leave everything on when I put it in my pocket. It keeps
> switching to Portrait (which doesn't allow zooming) but I think I must
> do that when it's out of my pocket. The Xiaomi phone I have doesn't
> require going through the lock (or whatever screen) when bringing the
> screen back up.
>
> I think this accidental touch protection was enabled by default.
>
>>https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/mobile-devices/how-to-block-accidental-touches-on-your-galaxy-smartphone/
>
> Thanks. This is on the right topic, but it tells how to turn on the
> feature, not how to turn it off each time, that is, how to get out of
> protection, once it has activated.
>
> I'm going to try turning it off altogehter and see if I miss the
> protection.

Besides the unlock options on how to unlock the phone once locked, you
might want to visit the screen timeout options. If you use the phone
when out of your pocket, there won't be a timeout, so maybe a short
timeout would be appropriate for you. That would lock the phone after a
short timeout, and accidental screen presses, like swipes, wouldn't be a
problem. Many users choose the longest timetout available, because they
want to put down the phone to do something else, but have the phone
unlocked when they return to the phone (which is peculiar why they even
enable the screen lock option). Since, unlike you, I added fingerprints
to the security options, unlocking the phone is very easy: just lay one
of the fingers on the fingerprint sensor. I have the index and middle
fingers of both hands recorded, so I can use either hand, and a choice
of a couple fingers on each in case there's a bandaid on one of the
fingers on the hand I want to use.

Before I put away or put down my phone, I tap the Power button to
instantly lock it. Way too much data accessible via my phone to have
someone sneak away or use my phone, so it is locked whenever not in use.
I also have the double-tap option enabled to instantly lock the phone.
Since I use a holster to stow the phone when mobile, I use the Power tap
to lock, and have only used the double-tap lock when the phone sits in a
cradle at work or home. My phone locks when it goes dark (stowed in the
holster) because of the short idle timeout: the phone's screen goes dark
when stowed, just like it does when placed near your ear, as part of the
battery saving features, and the screen saver engages in 1 minute which
locks the phone.

Have you ever noticed your phone making a call or loading an app when it
was stowed in your pocket? Even an accidental swipe probably won't do
much other than relight the display. With the screen saver set to 1
minute and the same idle expiration for screen lock, the window of
opportunity is small for an accidental swipe. I have to wonder if
anyone actually requested the feature, or if the developers had some
spare time and spent it on this new feature rather than address old
issues or bugs which don't (shouldn't) generate a new major version of
the software, and don't get the glitz effect on users.

Sounds like you can still enable the phone after removing from your
pocket when using the swipe protection feature. With the icon w/arrows
presented on the screen, how are you getting past it to use the phone?
Else, how are you going to get into Settings to disable the option?

"In a dark place" doesn't really say how dark. Any chance you can put
the phone in an opaque bag, but open just enough to peek inside with one
eye while in a dark room, or at night in the car with no lights on, to
see if the screen went completely black, or if the icon w/arrows is
displayed on an otherwise blank screen? That is, can you sneak a peek
to check if the refrigerator light goes off when the door is almost
closed? The old Samsungs that I had did not have this security option,
so I don't have your unidentified model to peak at the screen when "in a
dark place".

Click here to read the complete article
Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<t3ccai$1h2g$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30366&group=comp.mobile.android#30366

From: McKeis...@ipanywhere.com (Heron)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:08:32 -0500
 by: Heron - Fri, 15 Apr 2022 18:08 UTC

On 4/15/2022 11:48 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Oh, Samsung ... who has only produced a single model ... uh huh.

I don't think he even has the problem he says he has.
Nor whichever phone which he doesn't even say he has.
He googles for a problem on the net and then posts it here.
He does that on MANY newsgroups (not just this one).

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<t3eok5.9bo.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30449&group=comp.mobile.android#30449

From: thi...@ddress.is.invalid (Frank Slootweg)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: 16 Apr 2022 13:50:56 GMT
 by: Frank Slootweg - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 13:50 UTC

AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/2022 8:06 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> > micky wrote:
>
> >> I said it was a Samsung. I'm sure all the Samsungs use the same
> >> method, (although new releases of the software might change the
> >> system, for all of them.)
>
> > I happen to have a "spare" Samsung A21s here at the moment, I had to
> > factory reset it as it had an unknown PIN, then I upgraded it to
> > Android11, it doesn't have any setting for "accidental touch".
>
> Apparently it depends on the Samsung. My Galaxy S10+ Accidental Touch
> Protection switch is located in Settings>Display. I leave mine turned
> off because I've disabled ALL the screen options when the phone's
> asleep. I prefer to wake it the old fashioned way, with the physical
> switch...

I checked my Samsung Galaxy A51 and 'Accidental touch protection' is
on. (So it's probably the default.)

However I have never ever got the 'Swipe to continue' notification
which micky talks about, so I think that whoever talked about the (non)
lighting issue is correct, i.e. the phone is in a too dark environment
or the light-sensor is malfunctioning.

OTOH, I also have screen lock on, with fingerprint/PIN unlock, so it's
quite possible that the 'Swipe to continue' notification is never given,
because the screen is locked.

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<h7hq5hhbnhopn25c99f92719k3ch7knpvb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30602&group=comp.mobile.android#30602

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:06:57 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:06 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:06:52 +0100, Andy Burns
<usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> I said it was a Samsung. I'm sure all the Samsungs use the same method,
>> (although new releases of the software might change the system, for all
>> of them.)
>
>I happen to have a "spare" Samsung A21s here at the moment, I had to factory
>reset it as it had an unknown PIN, then I upgraded it to Android11, it doesn't
>have any setting for "accidental touch".

Interesting, strange even. Maybe people like me complained about it.

Under Settings / Software Update I found that my last update was Dec 7,
2021. And so was the last time I checked !!!!! So I checked just now
and I'm uptodate. No update available. Isn't that a bit strange too?
I have Android 11 and I thought they were frequenty coming up with
changes.

Anyhow, I thought I tu rned off the feature but it still showed up this
morniing. Pressing the power button twice seems to work each time to
get into the system, in place of swiping, so I'll just do that.

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<4jhq5h1r7ii3j1as6arlhpq8l94nr6gk5u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30603&group=comp.mobile.android#30603

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:08:31 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:08 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:31:58 -0700, AJL
<noemail@none.com> wrote:

>On 4/15/2022 8:06 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
>> micky wrote:
>
>>> I said it was a Samsung. I'm sure all the Samsungs use the same
>>> method, (although new releases of the software might change the
>>> system, for all of them.)
>
>> I happen to have a "spare" Samsung A21s here at the moment, I had to
>> factory reset it as it had an unknown PIN, then I upgraded it to
>> Android11, it doesn't have any setting for "accidental touch".
>
>Apparently it depends on the Samsung. My Galaxy S10+ Accidental Touch
>Protection switch is located in Settings>Display. I leave mine turned
>off because I've disabled ALL the screen options when the phone's
>asleep. I prefer to wake it the old fashioned way, with the physical
>switch...

I tried to turn it off, but it's still on. Still, the physical switch
works well afaict. I put the phone in my pocket 20 times a day and
this "protection" only shows up once or twice, so now that I can get out
of it, I'm fine.

Re: proceeding after accidental touch protection in samsung

<umhq5hlk1v0qauop4giolhl08m1nhjreco@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30604&group=comp.mobile.android#30604

From: NONONOmi...@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 14:09:31 +0300
 by: micky - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 11:09 UTC

In comp.mobile.android, on 16 Apr 2022 13:50:56 GMT, Frank Slootweg
<this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>AJL <noemail@none.com> wrote:

>> > I happen to have a "spare" Samsung A21s here at the moment, I had to
>> > factory reset it as it had an unknown PIN, then I upgraded it to
>> > Android11, it doesn't have any setting for "accidental touch".
>>
>> Apparently it depends on the Samsung. My Galaxy S10+ Accidental Touch
>> Protection switch is located in Settings>Display. I leave mine turned
>> off because I've disabled ALL the screen options when the phone's
>> asleep. I prefer to wake it the old fashioned way, with the physical
>> switch...
>
> I checked my Samsung Galaxy A51 and 'Accidental touch protection' is
>on. (So it's probably the default.)
>
> However I have never ever got the 'Swipe to continue' notification
>which micky talks about, so I think that whoever talked about the (non)
>lighting issue is correct, i.e. the phone is in a too dark environment
>or the light-sensor is malfunctioning.
>
> OTOH, I also have screen lock on, with fingerprint/PIN unlock, so it's
>quite possible that the 'Swipe to continue' notification is never given,
>because the screen is locked.

That might be.