From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: FirstNet and other phone systems for first responders [telecom]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:59:22 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 23:59 UTC

I was thinking about the story I ran on FirstNet(R), and I wondered
about other systems for first responders, so I did some Google
searches and came up with a couple of other systems which are geared
to allow public officials and other first responders to get calls
through when the network is experiencing overloads.

The web site I came across, which links to info on two other systems
besides FirstNet, is titled "ABOUT PRIORITY TELECOMMUNICATIONS
SERVICES," and it's from the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security
Agenecy. It's at
https://www.cisa.gov/about-pts

Here's my question: should this kind of information be available to
the public? I can think of three things that need to be decided right
up front:

1. Should political leaders enjoy priority on their calls? Let's be
realistic: they won't use the privilege only when there's a
hurricane coming or when the local river is rising.

2. Should priority calls be allowed for MD's, private ambulance
serivces, or other non-governmental organizations that most people
think are doing worthwhile things?

3. Assuming the answer to (1) is "Yes," then I have to ask if
information about the systems which enable that kind of priority
phone traffic should be available to the public.

I'm not trying to start a horse/barn door argument: the information
that these systems exist is already out there, and I can think of four
or five ways to game them just off the top of my head, without knowing
anything else about them other than that they /do/ exist. As things
stand now, anyone trying to keep info on these systems confidential
would be practicing "Security Through Obscurity," which never works -
think about Blue Boxes if you need proof - but I'm curious how my
readers feel about the subject.

Bill

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)