VMS is like a nightmare about RXS-11M.

computers / comp.mail.pine / Re: folder collections

SubjectAuthor
* folder collectionsmechanic
+* Re: folder collectionsAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: folder collectionsmechanic
| `- Re: folder collectionsAdam H. Kerman
+- Re: folder collectionsEduardo Chappa
+* Re: folder collectionsHolger Schieferdecker
|`* Re: folder collectionsmechanic
| `* Re: folder collectionsAdam H. Kerman
|  `* Re: folder collectionsmechanic
|   `- Re: folder collectionsAdam H. Kerman
`* Re: folder collectionsEduardo Chappa
 `- Re: folder collectionsmechanic

1
folder collections

<18pmb8lo98xog.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=295&group=comp.mail.pine#295

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: folder collections
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:26:35 +0000
 by: mechanic - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:26 UTC

I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP
clients. In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside
INBOX. which do not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have
ended up there rather than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in
the pinerc file. I can't see how to get these 'outsider' email
folders to show up in the folder collections page - I would like to
access them in order to move items into INBOX./savemail, or
whatever. I guess I could make these changes in Claws Mail, but
what's the Alpine way?

Re: folder collections

<ssc6vu$d9k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=296&group=comp.mail.pine#296

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Subject: Re: folder collections
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:43:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:43 UTC

mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:

>I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP
>clients. In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside
>INBOX. which do not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have
>ended up there rather than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in
>the pinerc file. I can't see how to get these 'outsider' email
>folders to show up in the folder collections page - I would like to
>access them in order to move items into INBOX./savemail, or
>whatever. I guess I could make these changes in Claws Mail, but
>what's the Alpine way?

From the main menu, S > L > A to add a collection. There's
some trial and error involved. Don't forget to include your user name
(probably an email address) to provide credentials to the IMAP server, user=

The .pinerc entry is folder-collections, which is a comma-separated
list.

If it works right, then you'll see the whole list under L from the main
menu but understand that there will be a noticeable delay as each server
is contacted.

Note also that there's no standard names for certain system folders,
like Spam and Saved-msgs and Draft. For instance, I have "Bulk Mail" on
one server and "Junk" on another.

Re: folder collections

<1q6edtfalpb0i.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=297&group=comp.mail.pine#297

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:47:06 +0000
 by: mechanic - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:47 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:43:26 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:
>
>>I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP
>>clients. In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside
>>INBOX. which do not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have
>>ended up there rather than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in
>>the pinerc file. I can't see how to get these 'outsider' email
>>folders to show up in the folder collections page - I would like to
>>access them in order to move items into INBOX./savemail, or
>>whatever. I guess I could make these changes in Claws Mail, but
>>what's the Alpine way?
>
> From the main menu, S > L > A to add a collection. There's
> some trial and error involved. Don't forget to include your user name
> (probably an email address) to provide credentials to the IMAP server, user=

Yes I know that.

> The .pinerc entry is folder-collections, which is a comma-separated
> list.
>
> If it works right, then you'll see the whole list under L from the main
> menu but understand that there will be a noticeable delay as each server
> is contacted.

Just the one server involved.
I can get the list of collections but maybe I've put the wrong
detail in 'Path' in the folder collection edit screen - I've the
same entry under Server as in the default collection that points to
INBOX, what I need is a pointer to 'mailboxes in the rest of the
server outside INBOX' - if that's clear? Thanks for the response!
Maybe it depends on the server - I've no idea which type it is.
> Note also that there's no standard names for certain system folders,
> like Spam and Saved-msgs and Draft. For instance, I have "Bulk Mail" on
> one server and "Junk" on another.

Re: folder collections

<sscjss$ijq$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=298&group=comp.mail.pine#298

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 21:23:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Thu, 20 Jan 2022 21:23 UTC

mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:43:26 -0000 (UTC), Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:

>>>I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP
>>>clients. In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside
>>>INBOX. which do not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have
>>>ended up there rather than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in
>>>the pinerc file. I can't see how to get these 'outsider' email
>>>folders to show up in the folder collections page - I would like to
>>>access them in order to move items into INBOX./savemail, or
>>>whatever. I guess I could make these changes in Claws Mail, but
>>>what's the Alpine way?

>>From the main menu, S >L >A to add a collection. There's
>>some trial and error involved. Don't forget to include your user name
>>(probably an email address) to provide credentials to the IMAP server, user=

>Yes I know that.

>>The .pinerc entry is folder-collections, which is a comma-separated
>>list.

>>If it works right, then you'll see the whole list under L from the main
>>menu but understand that there will be a noticeable delay as each server
>>is contacted.

>Just the one server involved.
>I can get the list of collections but maybe I've put the wrong
>detail in 'Path' in the folder collection edit screen -

I don't use Path because I typically don't have to deal with special syntax
for the namespace nor a non-default path to folders. Read the help text
on this entry and you'll see what I mean. I put the server and variables
in the Server field.

>I've the
>same entry under Server as in the default collection that points to
>INBOX, what I need is a pointer to 'mailboxes in the rest of the
>server outside INBOX' - if that's clear? Thanks for the response!
>Maybe it depends on the server - I've no idea which type it is.

It does depend on the server.

At this point, I'll need to look at your folder-collections entry from
your .pinerc to eyeball the syntax. Also, I'm a little suspicious that
you accidentally specified POP3 somewhere.

Eduardo may ask you to send him your .pinerc if you want his help.
>>Note also that there's no standard names for certain system folders,
>>like Spam and Saved-msgs and Draft. For instance, I have "Bulk Mail" on
>>one server and "Junk" on another.

Re: folder collections

<02f18d1f-cddf-903b-2bf2-0fb96f243b98@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=299&group=comp.mail.pine#299

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:46:29 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 03:46 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022, mechanic wrote:

> I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP clients.
> In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside INBOX. which do
> not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have ended up there rather
> than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in the pinerc file. I can't see
> how to get these 'outsider' email folders to show up in the folder
> collections page - I would like to access them in order to move items
> into INBOX./savemail, or whatever. I guess I could make these changes in
> Claws Mail, but what's the Alpine way?

Can you show us the settings for this collection? I do not care about the
name of the server, I want to see the rest.

Thank you.

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Re: folder collections

<ssdsjfUct3pL1@news.in-ulm.de>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=301&group=comp.mail.pine#301

From: spaml...@gmx.de (Holger Schieferdecker)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:58:25 +0100
 by: Holger Schieferdecke - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 08:58 UTC

Am 20.01.2022 um 17:26 schrieb mechanic:
> I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP
> clients. In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside
> INBOX. which do not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have
> ended up there rather than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in
> the pinerc file. I can't see how to get these 'outsider' email
> folders to show up in the folder collections page - I would like to
> access them in order to move items into INBOX./savemail, or
> whatever. I guess I could make these changes in Claws Mail, but
> what's the Alpine way?

The entry for the folder collection in my pinerc looks like the following:

folder-collections="Collection name" {server/user=xxx/ssl}[]

This collection shows the INBOX and all folders at the same level as the
inbox (in parallel to the INBOX).

Hope that helps,
Holger

Re: folder collections

<1059zg52oarfl$.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=302&group=comp.mail.pine#302

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:44:03 +0000
 by: mechanic - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:44 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:58:25 +0100, in comp.mail.pine you wrote:

> Am 20.01.2022 um 17:26 schrieb mechanic:
>> I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP
>> clients. In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside
>> INBOX. which do not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have
>> ended up there rather than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in
>> the pinerc file. I can't see how to get these 'outsider' email
>> folders to show up in the folder collections page - I would like to
>> access them in order to move items into INBOX./savemail, or
>> whatever. I guess I could make these changes in Claws Mail, but
>> what's the Alpine way?
>
> The entry for the folder collection in my pinerc looks like the following:
>
> folder-collections="Collection name" {server/user=xxx/ssl}[]
>
> This collection shows the INBOX and all folders at the same level as the
> inbox (in parallel to the INBOX).
>
> Hope that helps,
> Holger

folder-collections="Posteo.de folders"
{posteo.de/user=******@posteo.de/tls}INBOX.[],
all_folders {posteo.de/user=*****@posteo.de/tls}/[[]][]

-- that's one entry for the original default INBOX folders and a
second one that I tried various settings for but without success.

Re: folder collections

<ssesg7$k3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=303&group=comp.mail.pine#303

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:02:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:02 UTC

mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 09:58:25 +0100, in comp.mail.pine you wrote:
>>Am 20.01.2022 um 17:26 schrieb mechanic:

>>>I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP
>>>clients. In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside
>>>INBOX. which do not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have
>>>ended up there rather than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in
>>>the pinerc file. I can't see how to get these 'outsider' email
>>>folders to show up in the folder collections page - I would like to
>>>access them in order to move items into INBOX./savemail, or
>>>whatever. I guess I could make these changes in Claws Mail, but
>>>what's the Alpine way?

>>The entry for the folder collection in my pinerc looks like the following:

>>folder-collections="Collection name" {server/user=xxx/ssl}[]

>>This collection shows the INBOX and all folders at the same level as the
>>inbox (in parallel to the INBOX).

>folder-collections="Posteo.de folders"
>{posteo.de/user=******@posteo.de/tls}INBOX.[],
> all_folders {posteo.de/user=*****@posteo.de/tls}/[[]][]

>-- that's one entry for the original default INBOX folders and a
>second one that I tried various settings for but without success.

"[[]][]" doesn't make sense. Try "[]"

To access Gmail pseudofolders, I use "[[Gmail]]/[]" but that's probably
not the model the site you are access uses.

Also, verify that the site wants tls and not ssl.

Re: folder collections

<dabcf3c7-b87a-9712-3b83-d64d06bdbb7a@washington.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=304&group=comp.mail.pine#304

From: cha...@washington.edu (Eduardo Chappa)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:26:48 -0700
 by: Eduardo Chappa - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 02:26 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022, mechanic wrote:

> I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP clients.
> In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside INBOX. which do
> not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have ended up there rather
> than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in the pinerc file. I can't see
> how to get these 'outsider' email folders to show up in the folder
> collections page - I would like to access them in order to move items
> into INBOX./savemail, or whatever. I guess I could make these changes in
> Claws Mail, but what's the Alpine way?

Something I've been wondering is why there is a slash "/" after "INBOX."
That does not make much sense to me. You should be accessing
INBOX.savemail, not INBOX./savemail. Who is adding the slash there, you
or Alpine?

Thank you.

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

Re: folder collections

<11qavwrwhe9p.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=305&group=comp.mail.pine#305

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:32:32 +0000
 by: mechanic - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:32 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 19:26:48 -0700, in comp.mail.pine you wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2022, mechanic wrote:
>
>> I notice the mail folder displays are different in various IMAP clients.
>> In Claws Mail for instance I have some mailboxes outside INBOX. which do
>> not show up in Alpine. Some saved email items have ended up there rather
>> than in INBOX./savemail which is defined in the pinerc file. I can't see
>> how to get these 'outsider' email folders to show up in the folder
>> collections page - I would like to access them in order to move items
>> into INBOX./savemail, or whatever. I guess I could make these changes in
>> Claws Mail, but what's the Alpine way?
>
> Something I've been wondering is why there is a slash "/" after "INBOX."
> That does not make much sense to me. You should be accessing
> INBOX.savemail, not INBOX./savemail. Who is adding the slash there, you
> or Alpine?
>
> Thank you.

That was just me, writing the path down without thinking!

Re: folder collections

<b8jol56ilzmt.dlg@example1357.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=306&group=comp.mail.pine#306

From: mecha...@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:47:36 +0000
 by: mechanic - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 10:47 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:02:47 -0000 (UTC), in comp.mail.pine you
wrote:

> mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:

>>>The entry for the folder collection in my pinerc looks like the following:
>
>>>folder-collections="Collection name" {server/user=xxx/ssl}[]
>
>>>This collection shows the INBOX and all folders at the same level as the
>>>inbox (in parallel to the INBOX).
>
>>folder-collections="Posteo.de folders"
>>{posteo.de/user=******@posteo.de/tls}INBOX.[],
>> all_folders {posteo.de/user=*****@posteo.de/tls}/[[]][]
>
>>-- that's one entry for the original default INBOX folders and a
>>second one that I tried various settings for but without success.
>
> "[[]][]" doesn't make sense. Try "[]"
>
> To access Gmail pseudofolders, I use "[[Gmail]]/[]" but that's probably
> not the model the site you are access uses.
>
> Also, verify that the site wants tls and not ssl.

Thanks Adam, after trying various settings again I put the '[]' into
the 'Folder Collection Edit' screen and restarted Alpine; this
worked ok. Checking that screen after restart the system deleted the
Path line but the pinerc file now shows the collections line as
quoted above, and these extra folders now show up.

I'm not sure where these other mailboxes came from, I suspect they
are due to other email clients I've used, with the same server
setup. A few items in one of these but nothing of consequence.

Re: folder collections

<ssi0sl$agq$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=307&group=comp.mail.pine#307

From: ahk...@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:36:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 22:36 UTC

mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 21 Jan 2022 18:02:47 -0000 (UTC), in comp.mail.pine you
>wrote:
>
>> mechanic <mechanic@example.net> wrote:

>>>folder-collections="Posteo.de folders"
>>>{posteo.de/user=******@posteo.de/tls}INBOX.[],
>>> all_folders {posteo.de/user=*****@posteo.de/tls}/[[]][]
>>
>>>-- that's one entry for the original default INBOX folders and a
>>>second one that I tried various settings for but without success.
>>
>> "[[]][]" doesn't make sense. Try "[]"
>>
>> To access Gmail pseudofolders, I use "[[Gmail]]/[]" but that's probably
>> not the model the site you are access uses.
>>
>> Also, verify that the site wants tls and not ssl.
>
>Thanks Adam, after trying various settings again I put the '[]' into
>the 'Folder Collection Edit' screen and restarted Alpine; this
>worked ok.

If you use the built-in editor, don't put brackets in. The editor adds
them for you. That might result in doubling them.

>Checking that screen after restart the system deleted the
>Path line but the pinerc file now shows the collections line as
>quoted above, and these extra folders now show up.

Excellent!