Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Pablo Picasso

computers / comp.dcom.telecom / FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina [telecom]

SubjectAuthor
* FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina [telecom]Bill Horne
+* Re: [telecom] FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South CarolinaFred Goldstein
|`* Re: [telecom] FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South CarolinTelecom Digest Moderator
| `- Re: [telecom] FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South CarolinaFred Goldstein
`* FirstNetJohn Doe
 +* Re: FirstNetTelecom Digest Moderator
 |`- Re: FirstNet [telecom]David
 `- Re: FirstNetJohn Doe

1
FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina [telecom]

<20220331153923.52DAF79A@telecom2018.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3044&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3044

From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina [telecom]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:39:23 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 15:39 UTC

There are some things that mortal men are not supposed to know, and
this web page has a breezy, lightweight, breathless explanation of one
of them - how our government, having allowed our "public utilities" to
sabotage a reliable communications network that was working fine for
146 years, has now decided to use our tax money to achieve a goal that
I didn't know existed and still can hardly believe was ever consideed
viable - constructing another cellular network in parallel with the
ever-more-expensive, overly complicated, incredibly delicate network
of eyesores that ruin our landscape, turn our church steeples into
plastic monuments to mamon, and cause a generation of children to
become soulless automatons, unable to relate to other people inches
away from them, as they frantically flip through page after page after
page of images showing endless clones of a blow-dried-airhead telling
them to buy a new product while simpering and preening and trying
harder to look like whatever flavor of sincere is
Firstnet-fashionable.

Perhaps you will be able to make more sense out of it. My circuit
breaker has tripped.

Bill

"An official website of the United States government"

What's the news? AT&T is America's public safety communications
partner. In the nearly 5 years since we were selected by the First
Responder Network Authority (FirstNet Authority) to build and operate
FirstNet(r), we have moved quickly to bring more coverage, boost
capacity and drive new capabilities for South Carolina first
responders and the communities they serve - rural or urban.

Today, we cover nearly all of the state with FirstNet, Built with AT&T
- helping to connect public safety agencies and organizations in more
than 150 communities across South Carolina. That's why we're focused
on increasing network capacity for South Carolina public safety by
deploying Band 14 spectrum - nationwide, high-quality spectrum set
aside by the federal government specifically for FirstNet. We've
rolled out Band 14 on over 1,000 sites across the state to provide
public safety with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they
need it.

In addition, more South Carolina first responders are gaining access
to a one-of-a-kind 5G experience on FirstNet. 5G connectivity on
FirstNet is now available in Charleston and Hilton Head.

And we aren't stopping there. The FCC estimates that over 10,000 lives
could be saved each year if public safety were able to reach callers
just 1 minute faster. And since 80% of wireless calls take place
indoors, in-building dedicated public safety connectivity is essential
to public safety operations and overall safety. That's why we are
collaborating with Safer Building Coalition, the nation's leading
industry advocacy group focused on advancing policies, ideas, and
technologies that ensure effective in-building communications
capabilities for public safety personnel and the people they serve.

https://www.firstnet.gov/newsroom/press-releases/firstnet-built-att-connecting-more-first-responders-across-south-carolina

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)

Re: [telecom] FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina

<e8ae7622-542f-a642-ec05-9f96a909454e@ionary.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3047&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3047

From: fQRMgold...@ionary.com (Fred Goldstein)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: [telecom] FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina
Date: 1 Apr 2022 08:52:33 -0400
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Fred Goldstein - Fri, 1 Apr 2022 12:52 UTC

On 3/31/2022 11:39 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
> Perhaps you will be able to make more sense out of it. My circuit
> breaker has tripped.
>
> Bill

> "An official website of the United States government"
>
> What's the news? AT&T is America's public safety communications
> partner. In the nearly 5 years since we were selected by the First
> Responder Network Authority (FirstNet Authority) to build and operate
> FirstNet(r), we have moved quickly to bring more coverage, boost
> capacity and drive new capabilities for South Carolina first
> responders and the communities they serve - rural or urban.

I'm not exactly an uncritical fan of FirstNet, having been fairly
close to the process that created it, and having worked with real
public safety communications. There was a real mess in the 2005-2009
time frame, not worth recounting here, and it basically ended with
AT&T picking up the pieces. But the idea is not bad and it could be
useful.

FirstNet is a "broadband" public safety network intended to complement
the "narrowband" voice walkie-talkie systems that first responders
(police, fire, EMS) typically carry. It's basically a 700 MHz LTE
network, where the 700 MHz band has good indoor and cluttered-area
coverage. The idea is that AT&T gets to use the spectrum for
commercial (cellular) customers, but reserves and prioritizes its use
for first responders when they need it. FirstNet's customers, the
first responders, pay for the service, which allows them to download
images and video, which could help them in their front line work.

Not all first responders buy into this; real-world police in many
places, for instance, carry ordinary smartphones, which generally work
fine. But in some places where cell coverage is spotty, FirstNet gives
AT&T an incentive to build out, and it gives local governments an
incentive to permit the necessary towers to be built. Whether that's
good or bad is a matter of perspective...

Re: [telecom] FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina

<20220402002841.GA26037@telecom.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3051&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3051

From: telecomd...@remove-this.telecom-digest.org (Telecom Digest Moderator)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2022 20:28:41 -0400
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Telecom Digest Moder - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 00:28 UTC

On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 08:52:33AM -0400, Fred Goldstein wrote:
> On 3/31/2022 11:39 AM, Bill Horne wrote:
> >Perhaps you will be able to make more sense out of it. My circuit
> >breaker has tripped.
> >
> >Bill
> >
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >
> >"An official website of the United States government"
> >
> >What's the news? AT&T is America's public safety communications
> >partner. In the nearly 5 years since we were selected by the First
> >Responder Network Authority (FirstNet Authority) to build and operate
> >FirstNet(r), we have moved quickly to bring more coverage, boost
> >capacity and drive new capabilities for South Carolina first
> >responders and the communities they serve - rural or urban.
>
> I'm not exactly an uncritical fan of FirstNet, having been fairly
> close to the process that created it, and having worked with real
> public safety communications. There was a real mess in the 2005-2009
> time frame, not worth recounting here, and it basically ended with
> AT&T picking up the pieces. But the idea is not bad and it could be
> useful.

One of the things that happens when I take a vacation from the Digest
is that I come back to work with "new eyes" - I notice things that
weren't grabbing my attention before, and I've just realized that I
don't know as much about radio and Cellular technology as I had
thought I did.

Ergo, I'll ask you to give us more detail about the underlying
technology behind FIrstNet(R), and to explain some of the acronyms
that have been mentioned. I hate to do it, but I'll (respectfully)
request an "Executive Overview" that gives a layman's view of the
possibilities and problems.

> FirstNet is a "broadband" public safety network intended to complement
> the "narrowband" voice walkie-talkie systems that first responders
> (police, fire, EMS) typically carry.

OK, here's my first double-take: my only experience with two-way radio
technology, outside Amateur radio, was fixing the radios in the snow
plows and staff cars used by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, back
in 1972. At that time, "Narrowband" was what we called FM two-way
radios that were set for plus-and-minus 5KHz deviation. However, I've
been told that "Narrowband" now refers to radio transmitters using
plus-and-minus 2.5KHz deviation, and "Wideband" is the older +/- 5KHz
system.

Pleae tell us if I'm right, and what that change did to increase the
available bandwidth in the bands used by First Responders, and why
FirstNet is considered "Wideband."

> It's basically a 700 MHz LTE network, where the 700 MHz band has
> good indoor and cluttered-area coverage. The idea is that AT&T gets
> to use the spectrum for commercial (cellular) customers, but
> reserves and prioritizes its use for first responders when they need
> it. FirstNet's customers, the first responders, pay for the service,
> which allows them to download images and video, which could help
> them in their front line work.

IIRC, 700 MHz was the range used for "trunked" two-way push-to-talk
systems: I thought it was still being used for that. Correct me if I'm
wrong, though: didn't T-Mobile have it's "Push-To_Talk" service in
that band as well?

And, Ghod forgive me, I have to ask what "LTE" means in this
context. Trunked radio systems are now decades old, so if that's what
AT&T is calling "Long Term Evolution," well, I want my tax money back.

> Not all first responders buy into this; real-world police in many
> places, for instance, carry ordinary smartphones, which generally work
> fine. But in some places where cell coverage is spotty, FirstNet gives
> AT&T an incentive to build out, and it gives local governments an
> incentive to permit the necessary towers to be built. Whether that's
> good or bad is a matter of perspective...

Let's pull over into the learning lane for a moment, and I'll ask a
few questions I hope will clarify what is going on.

1. Is FirstNet(R) a service that uses single-channel radios, like the
ones that Police used to have for their exclusive use, or is it for
"trunked" radios like the ones taxicabs, courier services, and
delivery trucks use now? Some Police and Fire departments have
switched to "trunked" systems, because some municipalities have
combined all their departments onto a single "trunked" system in an
effort to save money.

2. If FirstNet is a "Wideband" service that allows First Responders to
"download images and video," how can it be shared with older
"narrowband" Release-To-Listen users? Are there multiple systems with
different capabilities sharing the FirstNet band(s)?

3. Unless I misunderstand the FirstNet PR, the system is equipped to
allow First Responders to interrupt existing "other" users when
First Responders make a call. Is that correct? Is there any public
info you can point us to?

Thanks for your help. I'm sorry to have to ask what are probably very
basic questions to you, but I need to have a common basis of under-
standing if the Digest is to have cogent threads about issues and
systems such as FirstNet.

Bill

--
Bill Horne
Telecom Digest Moderator

Re: [telecom] FirstNet is Connecting More First Responders Across South Carolina

<404d8128-5205-a23e-429b-3fcd5f566176@ionary.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3052&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3052

From: inva...@see.sig.telecom-digest.org (Fred Goldstein)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 12:14:14 -0400
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Fred Goldstein - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 16:14 UTC

On 4/1/2022 8:28 PM, Telecom Digest Moderator wrote:
> One of the things that happens when I take a vacation from the Digest
> is that I come to work with "nw eyes" - I notice things that weren't
> grabbing my attention before, and I've just realized that I don't know
> as much about radio and Cellular technology as I had thought I did.
>
> Ergo, I'll ask you to give us more detail about the underlying
> technology behind FIrstNet(R), and to explain some of the acronyms
> that have been mentioned. I hate to do it, but I'll (respectfully)
> request an "Executive Overview" that gives a layman's view of the
> possibilities and problems.

Happy to oblige.

>> FirstNet is a "broadband" public safety network intended to complement
>> the "narrowband" voice walkie-talkie systems that first responders
>> (police, fire, EMS) typically carry.
>
> OK, here's my first double-take: my only experience with two-way radio
> technology, outside Amateur radio, was fixing the radios in the snow
> plows and staff cars used by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, back
> in 1972. At that time, "Narrowband" was what we called FM two-way
> radios that were set for plus-and-minus 5KHz deviation. However, I've
> been told that "Narrowband" now refers to radio transmitters using
> plus-and-minus 2.5KHz deviation, and "Wideband" is the older +/- 5KHz
> system.
>
> Pleae tell us if I'm right, and what that change did to increase the
> available bandwidth in the bands used by First Responders, and why
> FirstNet is considered "Wideband."

"Broadband" in the modern sense means that it supports more than
voice, and supports high-bandwidth applications like video. Think
high-speed Internet access, in this case via smartphones. FirstNet is
a cellular network, just one with special features for first
responders.

>> It's basically a 700 MHz LTE network, where the 700 MHz band has
>> good indoor and cluttered-area coverage. The idea is that AT&T gets
>> to use the spectrum for commercial (cellular) customers, but
>> reserves and prioritizes its use for first responders when they need
>> it. FirstNet's customers, the first responders, pay for the service,
>> which allows them to download images and video, which could help
>> them in their front line work.
>
> IIRC, 700 MHz was the range used for "trunked" two-way push-to-talk
> systems: I thought it was still being used for that. Correct me if I'm
> wrong, though: didn't T-Mobile have it's "Push-To_Talk" service in
> that band as well?

No. 700 MHz was TV channels 51-69, repurposed for mobile use around 15
years ago via the DTV transition. Trunked two-way uses frequencies in
the 800 MHz range (near but not the same ones as cellular) and on the
older UHF band (450-470 MHz). - When the second 700 MHz auction - was
being planned, there was a proposal on the table to reserve some for
first responders, and that ended up in FirstNet.

> And, Ghod forgive me, I have to ask what "LTE" means in this
> context. Trunked radio systems are now decades old, so if that's what
> AT&T is calling "Long Term Evolution," well, I want my tax money back.

LTE is the name of the "4G" air interface, which has been the standard
for at least a decade. Since the 3G networks are being shut down, your
mobile phone either has LTE or it won't work. "5G" has an air
interface called "NR", for New Radio, but that is really just a set of
evolutionary changes to LTE to support higher frequencies, wider
channels, multi-band aggregation, and similar tweaks. To make a long
story short, LTE uses full-channel OFDM in the downlink (base to
mobile) while the uplink divides the channel into narrower
sub-channels called Resource Blocks and thus allows multiple mobile
units to transmit at once. OFDM means that there are multiple
narrowband carriers, 15 kHz apart in LTE (can be more in NR), across
which the payload is divided. It's a basket of clever ideas (and
maybe some weird ones) thrown together by committee.

>> Not all first responders buy into this; real-world police in many
>> places, for instance, carry ordinary smartphones, which generally work
>> fine. But in some places where cell coverage is spotty, FirstNet gives
>> AT&T an incentive to build out, and it gives local governments an
>> incentive to permit the necessary towers to be built. Whether that's
>> good or bad is a matter of perspective...
>
> Let's pull over into the learning lane for a moment, and I'll ask a
> few questions I hope will clarify what is going on.
>
> 1. Is FirstNet(R) a service that uses single-channel radios, like the
> ones that Police used to have for their exclusive use, or is it for
> "trunked" radios like the ones taxicabs, courier services, and
> delivery trucks use now? Some Police and Fire departments have
> switched to "trunked" systems, because some municipalities have
> cobined all their services into a single "trunked" system in an
> effort to save money.

It uses a conventional cellular phone, so the channels are wide and
allocated using LTE's methods. Trunked systems are voice systems with
a lot of narrowband voice channels assigned on demand. Totally
different.

> 2. If FirstNet is a "Wideband" service that allows First Responders to
> "download images and video," how can it be shared with older
> "narrowband" push-to-talk users? Are there multiple systems with
> different capabilities sharing the FirstNet band(s)?

It is totally separate from old PTT. It may synthesize PTT but that's
an "app". The network is full duplex with paired (frequency division
duplex) channels.

> 3. Unless I misunderstand the FirstNet PR, the system is equipped to
> allow First Responders to interrupt existing "other" users when
> First Responders make a call. Is that correct? Is there any public
> info you can point us to?

LTE supports a lot of simultaneous users per cell, and divides
capacity among them. FirstNet prioritizes first responders, so if
there is a shortage of capacity on a cell, first responders get theirs
first, and ordinary cellular users either get less capacity or in
extreme cases may get thrown off. Basically the license is divided
into a cellular channel and a first responder channel, and the first
responder channel's share of capacity is available to cellular users
when first responders don't need it.

--
Fred R. Goldstein k1io fred "at" ionary.com
+1 617 795 2701

FirstNet

<20220404214506.92876790@telecom2018.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3056&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3056

From: anonym...@telecom-digest.org (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: FirstNet
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 21:45:06 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: John Doe - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 21:45 UTC

Bill,

Here is an unrestricted older briefing on FirstNet:
http://telecom-digest.org/FirstNet/FirstNet_overview.pptx

Also interesting when State of Florida rebid their Public Safety radio
network they required the radios to be LTE interoperable. In the
event of a hurricane that takes out their P25 infrastructure, or a
massive local need that exceeds bandwidth, they can switch radios over
to LTE (presumingly FirstNet)

Having said that you don't see a lot of "walkie talkie" users on first
net. It's mostly cell phones, tablets, Mobile routers, EKGs, MDTs,
Liscense Plate readers, etc. FAA has put a few weather sensors on
first net (as TDM transport becomes obsolete, and they don't need a 3
Mbps carrier Ethernet circuit for 100 bps of data). There is an app
called Tango Tango that simulcasts Land Mobile Radio over LTE-
basically allows public safety command staff and volunteer firefighter
to monitor a frequency without having to lug a radio with them. They
obviously advertise it's not safety critical, the idea is when they
respond they will switch over to a standard radio, but they can
maintain situational awareness or be contacted through the app. I've
played with it- and it appears to work well in either use.

Re: FirstNet

<20220404225946.GA10519@telecom.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3057&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3057

From: telecomd...@remove-this.telecom-digest.org (Telecom Digest Moderator)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: FirstNet
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:59:46 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Telecom Digest Moder - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:59 UTC

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 09:45:06PM +0000, John Doe wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Here is an unrestricted older briefing on FirstNet:
> http://telecom-digest.org/FirstNet/FirstNet_overview.pptx

Thanks for that: I put it on the T-D website.

> Also interesting when State of Florida rebid their Public Safety radio
> network they required the radios to be LTE interoperable. In the
> event of a hurricane that takes out their P25 infrastructure, or a
> massive local need that exceeds bandwidth, they can switch radios over
> to LTE (presumingly FirstNet)

Kudos to Florida: I just hope that the hurricane/flood/whatever
doesn't take down the FirstNet sites at the same time it's destroying
ordinary cell towers.

> Having said that you don't see a lot of "walkie talkie" users on first
> net. It's mostly cell phones, tablets, Mobile routers, EKGs, MDTs,
> Liscense Plate readers, etc.

Whoa! Have mercy! I'm an analog tech in a digital world!
What are "EKGs?" What are "MDTs?"

> FAA has put a few weather sensors on FirstNet (as TDM transport
> becomes obsolete, and they don't need a 3 Mbps carrier Ethernet
> circuit for ~200 bps of data).

At that rate, the Morse keys and sounders in the Gamewell boxes might still come in handy! ;-)

> There is an app called Tango Tango that simulcasts Land Mobile Radio
> over LTE- basically allows public safety command staff and volunteer
> firefighter to monitor a frequency without having to lug a radio
> with them. They obviously advertise it's not safety critical, the
> idea is when they respond they will switch over to a standard radio,
> but they can maintain situational awareness or be contacted through
> the app. I've played with it - and it appears to work well in either
> use.

I'll take your word for it: I try to minimize the number of apps on my
"smart" phone, and I'm not young enough to be a First Responder
anyway.

Thanks for your help, insight, and the PowerPoint overview.

Bill

--
Bill Horne
Telecom Digest Moderator

Re: FirstNet

<20220404220815.GA10083@telecom.csail.mit.edu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3058&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3058

From: anonym...@telecom-digest.org (John Doe)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:08:16 +0000
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: John Doe - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 22:08 UTC

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 09:45:06PM +0000, John Doe wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Here is an unrestricted older briefing on FirstNet:
> http://telecom-digest.org/FirstNet/FirstNet_overview.pptx
>
> Also interesting when State of Florida rebid their Public Safety radio
> network they required the radios to be LTE interoperable. In the
> event of a hurricane that takes out their P25 infrastructure, or a
> massive local need that exceeds bandwidth, they can switch radios over
> to LTE (presumingly FirstNet)
>
> Having said that you don't see a lot of "walkie talkie" users on first
> net. It's mostly cell phones, tablets, Mobile routers, EKGs, MDTs,
> Liscense Plate readers, etc. FAA has put a few weather sensors on
> first net (as TDM transport becomes obsolete, and they don't need a 3
> Mbps carrier Ethernet circuit for 100 bps of data). There is an app
> called Tango Tango that simulcasts Land Mobile Radio over LTE-
> basically allows public safety command staff and volunteer firefighter
> to monitor a frequency without having to lug a radio with them. They
> obviously advertise it's not safety critical, the idea is when they
> respond they will switch over to a standard radio, but they can
> maintain situational awareness or be contacted through the app. I've
> played with it- and it appears to work well in either use.

BTW on the GETS thing- It was fairly well described by NCS (National
Communications System) before they became part of DHS, now its under
CISA. It's essentially a phone credit card. You dial a 10 digit
number starting with 710 (That has been discussed in the Digest a long
time ago- apparently the reserved NPA got a lot of people interested)
and then are given the opportunity to enter your PIN- once you
authenticate, you have priority routing over the switched
network. There are also 1-800 access number available. In the
previous decade it worked very well- you obviously have to have
dialtone first. The federal government pays for the system and
sponsors are sent bills for the usage. Users are government employees
(ranging from Wage Grade to Cabinet Officials), certain scientific and
technical personnel, contractors, and critical infrastructure/industry
users sponsored by the state or federal government. You are
encouraged to test it annually. Now with call transport moving to
VoIP, and huge moves from POTS to VoIP and LTE, I'd think it is of
limited benefit now- But I don't really have much recent
knowledge. You could use it on top of Firstnet to ensure routing once
you get off the enhanced packet core.

WPS is a code you dial (*XXX) before each call to get your subscribed
cell phone priority service. Also run by CISA, and works across the
major carriers in the 50 states . With Verizon's first responder
network and FirstNet, I'd think it would mostly be useful for T Mobile
or local provider users. I know GCI in Alaska doesn't support it as
of 18 months ago. WPS has an internal priority unlike GETS.
Whitehouse at the top, [ordinary people] at the bottom.

There is an app, of course, that will do this dialing for you for
either system.

Re: FirstNet [telecom]

<df4a2eb4-042e-65c2-7829-2aabf6a768df@panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3059&group=comp.dcom.telecom#3059

From: wb8...@panix.com (David)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Re: FirstNet [telecom]
Date: 4 Apr 2022 19:40:00 -0400
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: David - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:40 UTC

On 4/4/22 6:59 PM, Telecom Digest Moderator wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 09:45:06PM +0000, John Doe wrote:

|The federal government pays for the system and sponsors are sent
|bills for the usage. Users are government employees (ranging from
|Wage Grade to Cabinet Officials), certain scientific and technical
|personnel, contractors, and critical infrastructure/industry users
|sponsored by the state or federal government. You are encouraged to
|test it annually.

My memory was usage up to $X/month was free for the user; the (astute)
intent was to keep it (and the card holder) tested regularly.

| Also interesting when State of Florida rebid their Public Safety radio
| network they required the radios to be LTE interoperable. In the
| event of a hurricane that takes out their P25 infrastructure, or a
| massive local need that exceeds bandwidth, they can switch radios over
| to LTE (presumingly FirstNet)

> Kudos to Florida: I just hope that the hurricane/flood/whatever
> doesn't take down the FirstNet sites at the same time it's destroying
> ordinary cell towers.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that FirstNet cell sites are ordinary site and
vice versa. All it takes is software to put FN users at the head of the
line. Do note that for all the flagwaving and cheering by FirstNet
recipients, the FCC has not mandated backup power at cell sites.

>> Having said that you don't see a lot of "walkie talkie" users on first
>> net. It's mostly cell phones, tablets, Mobile routers, EKGs, MDTs,
>> Liscense Plate readers, etc.
>
> Whoa! Have mercy! I'm an analog tech in a digital world!
> What are "EKGs?" What are "MDTs?"

Electrocardiogram: What the TV ER docs/paramedics look at before using
the defibrillator.

Mobile Data Terminal is the computer in the cop car used to look up
your license plate before being arrested for having an air freshener
hanging from your mirror.

>> FAA has put a few weather sensors on FirstNet (as TDM transport
>> becomes obsolete, and they don't need a 3 Mbps carrier Ethernet
>> circuit for ~200 bps of data).
>
> At that rate, the Morse keys and sounders in the Gamewell boxes might still come in handy! ;-)

And maybe more dependable....