From: malQRMas...@gmail.com (Bill Horne)
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.telecom
Subject: Spam Texts From Your Own Number? 'Bad Actors' Sent Them, Verizon Says. [telecom]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 02:57:53 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: news@iecc.com
 by: Bill Horne - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 02:57 UTC

The wireless carrier said that it was working with the F.B.I. and the
Secret Service to investigate a recent wave of fraudulent messages,
but said the source did not appear to be Russian hackers.

The wireless carrier Verizon blamed "bad actors" on Wednesday for
thousands of spam text messages recently received by its customers and
said it was working with federal law enforcement agencies to try to
identify the source.

The telecom giant confirmed in a statement on Wednesday that its
customers had been targeted by the rogue texts offering them a free
gift, which were reported on Monday by The Verge, a technology news
website. Some users had reported being forwarded to Russian state
media sites when they clicked on links in the texts, but Verizon was
treating the texts as a more typical phishing scheme aimed at
defrauding consumers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/business/spam-texts-verizon.html

--
(Please remove QRM from my email address to write to me directly)