The world will end in 5 minutes. Please log out.

devel / comp.theory / Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

SubjectAuthor
* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
+* On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
|+* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
||`* On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
|| `* On the halting problem (reprise)wij
||  `* On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
||   `- On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
|`- On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
+* On the halting problem (reprise)Mikko
|`* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
| +* On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
| |`* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
| | +* On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
| | |`* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
| | | `* On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
| | |  `* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
| | |   +- On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
| | |   `* On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
| | |    `* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
| | |     +- On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
| | |     `- On the halting problem (reprise)Ben
| | `* On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
| |  `- On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
| `* On the halting problem (reprise)Mikko
|  `* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
|   +* On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
|   |`* On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
|   | `* On the halting problem (reprise)Mr Flibble
|   |  +- On the halting problem (reprise)Richard Damon
|   |  `- On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
|   `* On the halting problem (reprise)Mikko
|    `- On the halting problem (reprise)olcott
`* On the halting problem (reprise)Ben
 `- On the halting problem (reprise)olcott

Pages:12
Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<oCG6K.597202$mF2.392778@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30445&group=comp.theory#30445

Subject: Re: On the halting problem (reprise)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:33:08 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:33 UTC

On 4/16/22 5:03 PM, olcott wrote:
> On 4/16/2022 3:50 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:39:13 +0300
>> Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote:

>>> No reasonable reason can be seen.

>>> No, it isn't, not even close. An infinite recursion is not necessarily
>>> an error at all, and never a category error. Neither "category" nor
>>> "error" was in quotes.
>>
>> In the case of the halting problem AS DEFINED it *is* a category error.
>>
>> /Flibble
>>

> G := ~(F ⊢ G) expands to
> ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ...) ) ) ) ) ) )

But that isnt' the definition of the Problem.

You are just proving that your logic can't handle mathematics.

FAIL.

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<20220417121334.00002b41@reddwarf.jmc.corp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30494&group=comp.theory#30494

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc.corp (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 12:13:34 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 11:13 UTC

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:31:36 -0400
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 4/16/22 4:51 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 16:29:26 -0400
> > Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> >> Nope, just shows that you don't know how to read an article.
> >>
> >> In that article, the FIRST paragraph begins with the problem
> >> definition.
> >>
> >> That second paragraph, isn't the problem definition any more, but a
> >> summary of the proof that such a program can't exist. (As lead into
> >> by the last sentence of the first paragraph).
> >
> > The first and second paragraphs taken together define the halting
> > problem as viewed in all academic/CompSci circles.
> >
> > /Flibble
> >

> Nope.
>
> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
> determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and
> an input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run
> forever.
>
> And if you look at the Etymology section, we get:
>
> Theorem 2.2 There exists a Turing machine whose halting problem is
> recursively unsolvable.
>
> The the "Halting Problem" was the decision, NOT the proof that it was
> unsolvable.
>
> So, the DEFINITION of the problem is just the mapping the Halt
> Decider needs to answer, and the requirement to try to build a Turing
> Machine to compute this mapping.
>
> Just like the DEFINTION of the Pythagorean theorem is just the
> formula / geometric defintion of the theorem, and while all the other
> stuff that people talk about might be classified as about the
> theorem, it isn't part of the defintion of the theorem.

Nope.

The "proof" that the halting problem is insolvable is what makes the
halting problem a problem, by definition. The problem and its so
called proof are intrinsically linked to each other which is why if the
proof is erroneous then so is the halting problem itself, which it is.

/Flibble

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<20220417121627.0000203e@reddwarf.jmc.corp>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30495&group=comp.theory#30495

From: flib...@reddwarf.jmc.corp (Mr Flibble)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 12:16:27 +0100
 by: Mr Flibble - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 11:16 UTC

On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:33:08 -0400
Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

> On 4/16/22 5:03 PM, olcott wrote:
> > On 4/16/2022 3:50 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

> >> In the case of the halting problem AS DEFINED it *is* a category
> >> error.
> >>
> >> /Flibble
> >>

> > G := ~(F ⊢ G) expands to
> > ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ...) ) ) ) ) ) )
> >

> But that isnt' the definition of the Problem.
>
> You are just proving that your logic can't handle mathematics.
>
> FAIL.

You are the one who is failing, not Olcott. As I mentioned elsewhere
the erroneous infinitely recursive "proof" and the halting problem
according to your definition are intrinsically linked to each other: if
one is erroneous then so is the other.

/Flibble

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<uJS6K.361473$Gojc.210505@fx99.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30496&group=comp.theory#30496

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 07:19:54 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 11:19 UTC

On 4/17/22 7:13 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:31:36 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:
>
>> On 4/16/22 4:51 PM, Mr Flibble wrote:

>>> The first and second paragraphs taken together define the halting
>>> problem as viewed in all academic/CompSci circles.
>>>
>>> /Flibble
>>>

>> Nope.
>>
>> In computability theory, the halting problem is the problem of
>> determining, from a description of an arbitrary computer program and
>> an input, whether the program will finish running, or continue to run
>> forever.
>>
>> And if you look at the Etymology section, we get:
>>
>> Theorem 2.2 There exists a Turing machine whose halting problem is
>> recursively unsolvable.
>>
>> The the "Halting Problem" was the decision, NOT the proof that it was
>> unsolvable.
>>
>> So, the DEFINITION of the problem is just the mapping the Halt
>> Decider needs to answer, and the requirement to try to build a Turing
>> Machine to compute this mapping.
>>
>> Just like the DEFINTION of the Pythagorean theorem is just the
>> formula / geometric defintion of the theorem, and while all the other
>> stuff that people talk about might be classified as about the
>> theorem, it isn't part of the defintion of the theorem.
>
> Nope.
>
> The "proof" that the halting problem is insolvable is what makes the
> halting problem a problem, by definition. The problem and its so
> called proof are intrinsically linked to each other which is why if the
> proof is erroneous then so is the halting problem itself, which it is.
>
> /Flibble

So, you also fail to understand how logic works.

The definition of a problem does not include what is done with it.

FAIL.

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<RPS6K.92393$n41.46785@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30497&group=comp.theory#30497

Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: Rich...@Damon-Family.org (Richard Damon)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 07:26:41 -0400
 by: Richard Damon - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 11:26 UTC

On 4/17/22 7:16 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:33:08 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

>>> G := ~(F ⊢ G) expands to
>>> ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ...) ) ) ) ) ) )
>>>

>> But that isnt' the definition of the Problem.
>>
>> You are just proving that your logic can't handle mathematics.
>>
>> FAIL.
>
> You are the one who is failing, not Olcott. As I mentioned elsewhere
> the erroneous infinitely recursive "proof" and the halting problem
> according to your definition are intrinsically linked to each other: if
> one is erroneous then so is the other.
>
> /Flibble

Nope. Can you actually cite a source about this 'infinite recursion'
rule, that is applicable to this case?

There is no such basic rule of logic, so invoking it is a logic error.

If you just make up rules, then you are not actually doing logical
analysis, but something illogical.

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<_rKdnUVFg4upvMH_nZ2dnUU7_8zNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30498&group=comp.theory#30498

Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:16:20 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:16 UTC

On 4/17/2022 6:16 AM, Mr Flibble wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:33:08 -0400
> Richard Damon <Richard@Damon-Family.org> wrote:

>>> G := ~(F ⊢ G) expands to
>>> ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ~(F ⊢ ...) ) ) ) ) ) )
>>>

>> But that isnt' the definition of the Problem.
>>
>> You are just proving that your logic can't handle mathematics.
>>
>> FAIL.
>
> You are the one who is failing, not Olcott. As I mentioned elsewhere
> the erroneous infinitely recursive "proof" and the halting problem
> according to your definition are intrinsically linked to each other: if
> one is erroneous then so is the other.
>
> /Flibble

Likewize with the defintion of the incompleteness theorem
G := ~(F ⊢ G)
G is not provable in F

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<t3h7mh$t7t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30499&group=comp.theory#30499

From: mikko.le...@iki.fi (Mikko)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:20:01 +0300
 by: Mikko - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:20 UTC

On 2022-04-16 20:50:01 +0000, Mr Flibble said:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:39:13 +0300
> Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote:

>> On 2022-04-15 16:25:14 +0000, Mr Flibble said:

>>> and an infinite recursion in a definition is a type of category
>>> error

>> No, it isn't, not even close. An infinite recursion is not necessarily
>> an error at all, and never a category error. Neither "category" nor
>> "error" was in quotes.

> In the case of the halting problem AS DEFINED it *is* a category error.

No. A category error is, as defined on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake
a semantic or ontological error in which things belonging to a particular
category are presented as if they belong to a different category, or,
alternatively, a property is ascribed to a thing that could not possibly
have that property. You cannot point a word used as if it were what it
is not.

Mikko

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<mdWdnR8quob6uMH_nZ2dnUU7_8xh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30500&group=comp.theory#30500

Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 09:34:15 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.theory
From: NoO...@NoWhere.com (olcott)
 by: olcott - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:34 UTC

On 4/17/2022 9:20 AM, Mikko wrote:
> On 2022-04-16 20:50:01 +0000, Mr Flibble said:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:39:13 +0300
>> Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi> wrote:

>>> No, it isn't, not even close. An infinite recursion is not necessarily
>>> an error at all, and never a category error. Neither "category" nor
>>> "error" was in quotes.
>
>> In the case of the halting problem AS DEFINED it *is* a category error.
>
> No. A category error is, as defined on
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_mistake
> a semantic or ontological error in which things belonging to a particular
> category are presented as if they belong to a different category, or,
> alternatively, a property is ascribed to a thing that could not possibly
> have that property. You cannot point a word used as if it were what it
> is not.
>
> Mikko

Gödel's G cannot have a Boolean property because it is not a truth
bearer: G := ~(F ⊢ G)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350789898_Prolog_detects_and_rejects_pathological_self_reference_in_the_Godel_sentence

--
Copyright 2022 Pete Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer

Re: On the halting problem (reprise)

<87o80zlqn1.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30501&group=comp.theory#30501

From: ben.use...@bsb.me.uk (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 15:40:34 +0100
<t3bbqv$8il$1@dont-email.me> <20220415172514.0000346b@reddwarf.jmc>
<bXj6K.430140$t2Bb.229832@fx98.iad>
<20220415205134.00004b8f@reddwarf.jmc>
<wak6K.154315$dln7.41595@fx03.iad>
<20220415210828.00006a9a@reddwarf.jmc>
<GAk6K.604644$LN2.284481@fx13.iad>
<20220416215146.00002529@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
<YAG6K.597201$mF2.207043@fx11.iad>
<20220417121334.00002b41@reddwarf.jmc.corp>
 by: Ben - Sun, 17 Apr 2022 14:40 UTC

Mr Flibble <flibble@reddwarf.jmc.corp> writes:

> The "proof" that the halting problem is insolvable is what makes the
> halting problem a problem, by definition.

No, it's an example of a class of problems called decision problems.
The word problem here does not mean problematic but is being used in the
more general "a question to be answered" sense.

> The problem and its so
> called proof are intrinsically linked to each other which is why if the
> proof is erroneous then so is the halting problem itself, which it is.

The proofs (of which there are many) are so called because they are
proofs.

--
Ben.

devel / comp.theory / Re: On the halting problem (reprise)