Intel CPUs are not defective, they just act that way. -- Henry Spencer

computers / comp.mobile.android / Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

SubjectAuthor
* Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
+* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burns
> [...]
||   +* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"nospam
||   |`- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
||   `- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
|`* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"sms
| `- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"nospam
+* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
|`* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
| `* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
|  `- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
+- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
`* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
 `* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Nemanja Momcilovic
  +- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
  +- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"David L. P. Solimano
  `* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"sms
   `* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"nospam
    `* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Andy Burnelli
     +- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Gnaneshwar Gaddam
     `* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Gnaneshwar Gaddam
      +* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"abouza youssef
      |`* Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"sms
      | `- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"wish raw
      +- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Gnaneshwar G
      `- Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"Digit Bard

Pages:123
Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3eujs$lv1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30464&group=comp.mobile.android#30464

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Subject: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:32:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:32 UTC

How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?

In doing research on caricature programs I found it's a _lot_ more
convenient to screenshot the preliminary results, for two main reasons:
a. It's _much_ faster (like twice as fast) due to ad skippage
b. It's _much_ cleaner (no watermarks which are on the final product)

Yet some of the apps (not many, but definitely some) elicit the error:
"Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

This is, for example, one of those screenshot-blocking apps I tested:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wemagineai.voila>

While I completely get what they're doing by blocking screenshots, my goal
on a phone is to be able to do what I want to do - not what the app wants.
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Can%27t+take+screenshot+due+to+security+policy>

Googling for a non-root way around this limitation of some apps, I see many
of almost-the-same articles which simply "explain" why the error is there.
<https://www.technipages.com/cant-take-screenshot-due-to-security-policy-message-in-android>

Clearly this is a "policy set in the app" but the question I ask of people
here is how to work around that no-screenshots security policy. Any ideas?

How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<jc0facFpl0bU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30470&group=comp.mobile.android#30470

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 19:13:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:13 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?

With a separate camera? Makes it pretty pointless to block the screenshot.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3f7qv$qmu$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30495&group=comp.mobile.android#30495

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:10:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 20:10 UTC

Andy Burns wrote:

> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>
>> How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?
>
> With a separate camera? Makes it pretty pointless to block the screenshot.

Hi Andy,

I very much appreciate you're one of the few intelligent people on this ng.

Thanks for being brave in trying to answer what is, in effect, a difficult
problem set to resolve because the entire Android system is _designed_ to
prevent screenshots when the app sets a security policy to make it
difficult.

The problem came about as my interest in cartooning was piqued from another
thread someone posted in another newsgroup, where I wanted to see if I could
get professional results on Android - and that's quite easily possible!

As you know, whenever you solve problems, more problems crop up, where in
this case, the problem was first to find the best caricature creator.
*What is a good free adfree image (usually face) cartooning app?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/TgRrAjoTD9E>

Then, given the watermark, the problem had a secondary issue of editing:
*What is a good free adfree basic image editor*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/cTrsAsiNa4o>

And then, to get past the horrid advertisements, an added problem was
bypassing the app restrictions on taking screenshots of the non-watermarked
(but very professional looking) results.
*Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"*
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Pmcqi4Mvuhw>

As always, with intelligence and a good search technique, I found solutions
to all the problems (I almost never fail except on iOS products), but I
don't presume to know more than anyone else about Android cartooning since
I've only tackled these problem sets for a few hours so far this week.

I've already solved the protected-screenshot problem using rather clever
tool that involves perfect mirroring of the Android phone on Windows, which
also has the benefit that it allows me to use my Windows keyboard and mouse
to completely control any Android phone from the desktop PC interface.
*scrcpy 1.23* <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>

Since I'm a well educated intelligent and kind-hearted soul who tries to
give back to the team that helps me, I already wrote up the tutorial (which
took hours to write and test, as you well know the documentation takes
longer than the actual experimentation does). I'll post that tutorial
separately from this thread to the Windows, Android, Linux, and macOS groups
(since the screen mirroring works on all PC platforms - everyone can benefit
from controlling their Android phone using their PC mouse & keyboard using
FOSS software).

Essentially you run scrcopy along with adb with the phone tethered over USB,
where the only hitch so far is that I can't save _directly_ to the Android
phone from Windows without setting up a WebDAV server on Android.
Print Screen directly to My PC\MyAndroidPhone\MyAndroidSDcard\.

So it's not perfect yet, but it's a clever solution that only goes to show
that it's possible to circumvent this screen-protection stuff which I had
never run into before since I don't do the banking app stuff that most
people do.

I only ran into this problem when I was using screenshots to make it vastly
quicker to save preliminary results in fancy ad-supported caricature apps.

If the apps weren't ad supported, I wouldn't need to screenshot, but by
snapping the screen, I can skip many of the obnoxious ads in these programs.

Of course, the best solution would be to find a free ad-free caricature
program with professional results, but in my tests this week, only the ad
supported cartooning programs had the best (in fact highly professional)
results (which is, after all, the goal).

In summary, I solved the problem, but if you or anyone else knows of a
better solution than the one I came up with today, I'd be grateful.
<https://i.postimg.cc/N0G1TXcZ/scrcpy01.jpg> Mirror Android on any PC
--
Usenet is a world-wide team sport where purposefully helpful kind-hearted
adults help each other and learn by pooling our individual capabilities.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3icu1$rkn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30584&group=comp.mobile.android#30584

From: nuh...@nope.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:55:29 -0700
 by: Alan - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 00:55 UTC

On 2022-04-16 1:10 p.m., Andy Burnelli wrote:
> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>>
>>> How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?
>>
>> With a separate camera?  Makes it pretty pointless to block the
>> screenshot.
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> I very much appreciate you're one of the few intelligent people on this ng.
>
> Thanks for being brave in trying to answer what is, in effect, a difficult
> problem set to resolve because the entire Android system is _designed_ to
> prevent screenshots when the app sets a security policy to make it
> difficult.
>
> The problem came about as my interest in cartooning was piqued from another
> thread someone posted in another newsgroup, where I wanted to see if I
> could
> get professional results on Android - and that's quite easily possible!
>
> As you know, whenever you solve problems, more problems crop up, where in
> this case, the problem was first to find the best caricature creator.
> *What is a good free adfree image (usually face) cartooning app?*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/TgRrAjoTD9E>
>
> Then, given the watermark, the problem had a secondary issue of editing:
> *What is a good free adfree basic image editor*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/cTrsAsiNa4o>
>
> And then, to get past the horrid advertisements, an added problem was
> bypassing the app restrictions on taking screenshots of the non-watermarked
> (but very professional looking) results.
> *Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"*
> <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/Pmcqi4Mvuhw>

In short, you want to steal the use of software.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3im3q$bth$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30589&group=comp.mobile.android#30589

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 04:32:25 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 03:32 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> I've already solved the protected-screenshot problem using rather clever
> tool that involves perfect mirroring of the Android phone on Windows, which
> also has the benefit that it allows me to use my Windows keyboard and mouse
> to completely control any Android phone from the desktop PC interface.
> *scrcpy 1.23* <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>

To continue to add value to every thread...

To mirror Android on Windows over USB:
C:\> adb devices
C:\> scrcpy

To mirror Android on Windows over Wi-Fi:
C:\> adb connect 192.168.0.2:5555
C:\> scrcpy
Where the "192.168.0.2" is the IP address of your phone on your LAN.

With WebDAV server running on Android, I can mount the entire Android phone
as a Windows drive letter for efficient file transfer over Wi-Fi or USB.

I've only been mirroring my Android phone on Windows for a few hours
but I really like some of the conveniences inherent in mirroring, such as:
1. The phone is 20 inches tall and 9 inches wide on my Windows monitor
2. The mouse and keyboard make typing with Android far more efficient
3. Screenshots are tremendously easier to manage when done in the PC
4. Movies are just as simple to make of your entire Android session
5. And, of course, you can screenshot even when apps won't allow it!

The only problem I have with Android mirroring over to Windows 10/11 while
on Wi-Fi is that the screen keeps falling asleep on the phone - whereas with
USB, there's an Android "Developer options" setting to keep the phone awake
while it's on the charger (which for you won't be a problem given that's
your exact situation).

See also:
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/introducing-microsoft-phone-link-and-link-to-windows-2e4bb4c0-f99a-4464-92a8-5264c7c39734>
"Our latest evolution brings a new name to unify the experience for
all our users. With that, we're introducing Microsoft Phone Link
as the PC app experience, and Link to Windows as our mobile app
for Android devices."
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/phone-link/9nmpj99vjbwv#activetab=pivot:overviewtab>
*Link to Windows* by Microsoft Corporation
free, ad free, req GSF, rated 3.9, 500M+ installs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.appmanager>

This is a summary of what Microsoft says that app combination does:
a. Get instant access to everything you love on your phone from your PC.
b. Link your Android phone and PC to view and reply to text messages
c. Make and receive calls over Bluetooth
d. View your notifications
e. Share your favorite images between your phone and PC
f. Copy, edit, and even drag and drop photos without touching your phone
g. Wirelessly dragging and dropping your files from your phone to your PC
h. Wirelessly dragging and dropping your files from your PC to your phone
Note that the Microsoft phone link Android/Windows app combination does
_more_ than just the Windows adb/scrcpy command does.

If you know of a way to wake up the screen from Windows, let me know.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<v3cvii-ra7.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30591&group=comp.mobile.android#30591

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 08:12:47 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:12 UTC

On 2022-04-16 20:13, Andy Burns wrote:
> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>
>> How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?
>
> With a separate camera?  Makes it pretty pointless to block the screenshot.

That's what's people do, but obviously the results have much less quality.

Arlen is, obviously, stealing the photo, albeit the app lies, it is not
for security reasons, but for profit reasons :-D

The method of sending the phone screen to the computer is a curious one.
However, I don't know if a Windows screenshot will have the same pixel
count or much less than a proper phone screenshot. Maybe using a
mirroring Windows app that does screenshots itself.

Of course this is an Android security hole, allowing mirroring to the
computer of a protected screen.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3j0bq$16aa$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30592&group=comp.mobile.android#30592

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 07:27:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:27 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> Of course this is an Android security hole, allowing mirroring to the
> computer of a protected screen.

It's not really an Android security hole in so much as everyone has known
since day 1 that you can't protect content on any screen that you can see.

As for 'stealing', I doubt you can back up that assertion.
They give you the photo for free, so what's there to steal?

The fact you think screenshotting is stealing tells me that your brain
doesn't work like an adult brain - it works like a brain of a small child.

All I'm doing is taking the photos before the watermark by screenshotting,
and, if I accept the photo with the watermark (after long advertisements),
I'm just removing that watermark after the fact.

There's no law against _either_ of those two actions, Carlos.

That your brain "thinks" there is makes me think you're very low-end Dunning
Kruger in that your brain doesn't work like a normal brain should work.

That you think _that_ is stealing shows how your brain is broken.
It's like you still think Santa Claus exists because of a picture you saw.

But maybe your brain is actually that of an adult?
Maybe you have a logical sensible reason for calling that stealing?

Do you?
I can believe someone with an IQ of 40 like Alan Baker would call that
stealing, but Alan knows less about law than a five year old, Carlos.

I am expecting you, what with your PhD and all that, to own a brain that can
justify your calling a screenshot "stealing" (by any stretch of the law).

I'd love to know how your brain works, Carlos, in that you can justify in
your own mind that removing the watermark is "stealing" to you?

Just like I can't understand the bible toting people when I ask them how old
do they think the earth is, or the people in the Costco gas line why they
are putting premium into a Honda Civic, I don't understand your brain.

Do you even understand your own brain?
That is a good question.

The only way I can understand you, Carlos, is to assume you are a child.
To a child who knows absolutely nothing, then they'd think it's stealing.

But not to an actual adult.
At least not one with anywhere near any IQ that is functional.

Pray tell Carlos, how is screenshotting a picture that they will give you
for free, somehow, stealing? Please explain how your logic works Carlos.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3jqos$nqm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30609&group=comp.mobile.android#30609

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 06:57:46 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 13:57 UTC

On 4/17/2022 11:12 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-04-16 20:13, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>>
>>> How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?
>>
>> With a separate camera?  Makes it pretty pointless to block the
>> screenshot.
>
> That's what's people do, but obviously the results have much less quality.
>
> Arlen is, obviously, stealing the photo, albeit the app lies, it is not
> for security reasons, but for profit reasons :-D

I don't know what he's trying to take a screenshot of, but there are
legitimate reasons to take screenshots even when you get the message
“Can’t take screenshot due to security policy.”

I ran into this with the Android app from my health care provider.

I wanted to take a screen shot of my membership card so I could store it
in Google Pay instead of having to open the provider's app to get to it.

The Android phone displayed a message "Can't take a screenshot due to
the security policy." I opened the provider's iPhone app and there was
no restriction, so I took the screenshot and emailed it to myself.

Either the iOS app developer forgot to put the same restriction on
screenshots into the iPhone app, or the iOS lacks that feature; Googling
it, I found "How do I restrict a screenshot on IOS? In fact, there is no
such way to prevent screenshot in iOS,"
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18680028/prevent-screen-capture-in-an-ios-app>.

So the way to bypass this security feature on Android is to use an
iPhone or iPad to take the screenshot, then send the screenshot to yourself.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3k2eg$iee$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30616&group=comp.mobile.android#30616

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:08:45 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:08 UTC

On 4/17/2022 11:12 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2022-04-16 20:13, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Andy Burnelli wrote:
>>
>>> How do you bypass an app's security policy against taking screenshots?
>>
>> With a separate camera?  Makes it pretty pointless to block the
>> screenshot.
>
> That's what's people do, but obviously the results have much less quality.
>
> Arlen is, obviously, stealing the photo, albeit the app lies, it is not
> for security reasons, but for profit reasons :-D
>
> The method of sending the phone screen to the computer is a curious one.
> However, I don't know if a Windows screenshot will have the same pixel
> count or much less than a proper phone screenshot. Maybe using a
> mirroring Windows app that does screenshots itself.
>
> Of course this is an Android security hole, allowing mirroring to the
> computer of a protected screen.

LOL, you mean compared with iOS having no restrictions on screen shots?!

I've had the screenshot issue in "The Document"
<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features> for a while. It's one issue
that you can see as a pro or a con for either platform.

29i on page 7: "Screenshots are not restricted."
114a on page 48: "Screenshots are restricted."

Google has become very strict about Android security, to the point of it
being annoying when you're trying to do perfectly legitimate things, but
it's up to the app developer whether or not to use the functionality
that Google has enabled. The one time I ran into the screenshot issue I
was not trying to screenshot and save any copyrighted material. My
workaround was to use my iPhone for the screenshot.

---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------
✓ 34 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had ✓
✓ 156 Android & Android Phone Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish
they Had ✓

<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>

✓ 66 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations ✓

✓ 100% Fact Checked ✓
---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3k53p$1vfc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30622&group=comp.mobile.android#30622

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:54:32 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 16:54 UTC

sms wrote:

> I don't know what he's trying to take a screenshot of, but there are
> legitimate reasons to take screenshots even when you get the message
> "Can't take screenshot due to security policy."

Steve brings up good added value below on why he'd want a screenshot.
But can anyone here think of a single "illegal" snapping of a screenshot?

Assuming whatever itself is on your phone screen is, in and of itself, not
illegal in the USA, then I can't fathom a single "illegitimate" use of
simply saving what's _already_ legally on your phone.

Can you?

> I ran into this with the Android app from my health care provider.

Certainly there are developers who would rather you didn't screenshot what
they already presented on your screen, e.g., someone could send you a
snapchat image that "they" expect you to not be able to screenshot; but
nobody who knows anything about computers is ever under the illusion that
once the image is on your device, you can capture it exactly as it displays.
> I wanted to take a screen shot of my membership card so I could store it
> in Google Pay instead of having to open the provider's app to get to it.

Yup. This is a perfect use of it since the image itself that you want to
save a screenshot of isn't in and of itself an illegal image in the USA.

> The Android phone displayed a message "Can't take a screenshot due to
> the security policy." I opened the provider's iPhone app and there was
> no restriction, so I took the screenshot and emailed it to myself.

That's interesting because it implies the app maker did not set the security
policy on the iPhone but they set it on Android. I wonder if there's a
restriction on Apple's part or if that was just a developer choice.

As an aside, there are _other_ security policies which can be set, outside
the app, at least in Android; but I think we're dealing here with in-app
security policies. (Either way, once it's on your screen, you can save it.)

> Either the iOS app developer forgot to put the same restriction on
> screenshots into the iPhone app, or the iOS lacks that feature; Googling
> it, I found "How do I restrict a screenshot on IOS? In fact, there is no
> such way to prevent screenshot in iOS,"
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18680028/prevent-screen-capture-in-an-ios-app>.

Oh. Wow. That's interesting. Very interesting. Thanks for adding that value.
*iOS* in-app method to restrict screenshots:
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18680028/prevent-screen-capture-in-an-ios-app>
*Android* in-app method to restrict screenshots:
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6764568/prevent-screen-capture-in-android-apps>
> So the way to bypass this security feature on Android is to use an
> iPhone or iPad to take the screenshot, then send the screenshot to yourself.

You could mirror the iPhone & Android on the Windows PC at the same time.

Also, with WebDAV, you can mount the entire Android phone as a Windows drive
and then save a screenshot _directly_ to the Android phone's file system.

Hence, one obvious use model (with no intermediate step) could be:
a. Snap the screenshot from Windows of the iOS device's screen
b. Save _directly_ that screenshot from Windows to the Android file system

I opened a thread on the iPhone newsgroup yesterday on how to mirror the
iPhone/iPad on Windows; but true to the unique child-like overall nature of
most Apple newsgroups, only kindergarten responses resulted to date.
*How can you mirror your iPhone/iPad onto a Windows desktop monitor?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/6Oc1eLcB7uM>

BTW, to add further value to Steve's point on sometimes needing screenshot,
on Android, the apps I used actually _saved_ a temporary cache of their
images, so the screenshotting isn't necessary (if you know where to look).

For example, I ran a Windows search to find the cached images located here:
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\PhotoRoom
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\PhotoLab
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\ToonApp
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\Voila
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\Pulse
etc.

For someone wishing to follow in our footsteps, these tidbits may help.

A useful tidbit is that you can set a "Developer option" in Android settings
to keep the phone awake when you're on USB but that doesn't exist for Wi-Fi
(AFAIK); yet, when on Wi-Fi you can wake a sleeping phone with a _right_
mouse click.

Also, there are "touchscreen" differences where my PC monitor isn't a touch
screen, where swiping up with a mouse seems easier than swiping down.

More troublesome, I haven't figured out yet how to do a "pinch" of two
fingers using just the mouse; if you know a trick for that, let me know!

(I wonder how it works with touchscreen monitor - which I don't have?)

As for the screenshots on Windows, what works well is the Irfanview freeware
"Capture" command which will snap any area of the PC screen or the
foreground window client area - which has a lot of options, one of which is
to name the result using an orderly timestamped naming convention, e.g.,
capture_$U(%d%m%Y_%H%M%S)_###

If you also mounted your entire Android phones as a Windows drive letter,
then the screenshot can immediately be sent via your default SMS/MMS app.

While I tested probably a score of apps, I noticed something peculiar last
night, which is that a server went down (saying it was overloaded), and yet,
_multiple_ apps (presumably from different outfits!) also went down for that
same half hour time period. From that, and other GUI & choice similarities,
I suspect many of them are from the same outfit and/or they're using the
same underlying engine.

Hence, I wouldn't recommend more than two or three overall since the
similarities are there (even the ads are the same).

The three most-oft used apps I've been settling on using are:

*ToonMe* cartoons from photos, by Linerock Investments LTD
Free, with ads, rated 4.4, 50M+ installs, requires GSF
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vicman.toonmeapp>

*PhotoRoom* Studio Photo Editor, by Artizans of Photo Video BG Editor App
Free, with ads, rated 4.7, 10M+ installs, requires GSF
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.photoroom.app>

*Voila* AI Artist Cartoon Photo, by Wemagine.AI
Free, with ads, rated 4.6, 10M+ installs, requires GSF
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wemagineai.voila>

Note the first two allow native screenshots, but the latter does not.

On Windows, these operations seem to be most useful, although the three
tools used are extremely powerful, especially in batch configurations.
1. adb & scrcpy <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>
2. Irfanview <https://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm>

To mirror Android on Windows over USB:
C:\> adb devices
C:\> scrcpy

To mirror Android on Windows over Wi-Fi:
C:\> adb connect 192.168.0.2:5555
C:\> scrcpy
Where the "192.168.0.2" is the IP address of your phone on your LAN.

To take a movie of the entire session:
C:\>
C:\> scrcpy --record file.mp4

To perfectly screenshot just the phone window on demand in Windows:
C:\> Irfanview
Irfanview:Options/Capture Screenshot > (o)Foreground window - Client area
File name: capture_$U(%Y%m%d_%H%M%S)_###
(Or you can automatically capture every half second or whatever)

I've only used this for a couple of hours, so more learning will happen.
As always, if you can add technical value to this, all would benefit.
--
Usenet is a team where every player tries to move the ball forward.
The great thing about Usenet is people work together to help everyone learn.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3k6ng$mla$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30627&group=comp.mobile.android#30627

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:22:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:22 UTC

sms wrote:

>> Of course this is an Android security hole, allowing mirroring to the
>> computer of a protected screen.
>
> LOL, you mean compared with iOS having no restrictions on screen shots?!

I find it interesting that people like Carlos whose brains can't handle even
teh slightest bit of complexity, think that an image (that in and of itself
is legal) which is then legally presented to you on your screen can't
legally be saved.

There isn't anyone intelligent who hasn't known since the dawn of computers
that you can save any image that is presented to you on your screen.

What I want to learn is how the strange minds of people like Carlos works
such that they "think" the way they do (much like how the Dunning Kruger
lemon-juice bank robber though that disappearing ink would hide his face
from the cameras).

These strange people like Carlos (and Alan Baker, Snit, Chris, Joerg,
nospam, Lewis, Jolly Roger, Alan Browne, et. al) interest me because I've
never met people in the flesh that incredibly stupid in my entire life.

> I've had the screenshot issue in "The Document"
> <https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features> for a while. It's one issue
> that you can see as a pro or a con for either platform.

One thing not in that document yet is the mirroring capability.

Android can be mirror easily over USB & Wi-Fi on Windows for free.
All you need is a single zip file from GitHub to mirror Android on Windows.

I still haven't gotten an answer whether you can mirror iOS as easily
though, as the iOS thread asking this question instantly devolved into
kindergarten jokes (which is all the iOS groups seem to be able to do).
*How can you mirror your iPhone/iPad onto a Windows desktop monitor?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/6Oc1eLcB7uM>

> 29i on page 7: "Screenshots are not restricted."
> 114a on page 48: "Screenshots are restricted."

This information in your document is useful for the many of us who use both
Android and iOS devices every day, which both Steve and I do.

> Google has become very strict about Android security, to the point of it
> being annoying when you're trying to do perfectly legitimate things, but
> it's up to the app developer whether or not to use the functionality
> that Google has enabled.

Bear in mind that security by obscurity only works on dumb people.
The one example is that you can screenshot _anything_ on Android. Period.

However, another example is a Windows search of my Android phone mounted
onto my Windows PC showed _where_ the temporary cache was of the images!
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\PhotoRoom\<strange long name>
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\PhotoLab\<strange long name>
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\ToonApp\<strange long name>
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\Voila\<strange long name>
This PC\Galaxy A32 5G\Phone\Pictures\Pulse\<strange long name>
etc.

When I opened the <strange long name> on Windows with my Android phone
mounted onto Windows, Irfanview renamed the <strange long name> to an
animated GIF in many instances (which is even better than a screenshot!).

So I never really needed to learn how to screenshot for my original goal!
(Yet, learning how easy mirroring was has its own advantages over time.)

> The one time I ran into the screenshot issue I
> was not trying to screenshot and save any copyrighted material. My
> workaround was to use my iPhone for the screenshot.

Steve - do you have _any_ inkling what the fair use doctrine says in
copyright law? (HINT: Most people are morons who can't understand the tenets
of fair use which allow up to the _entire_ collection, such as Google Books,
as long as _one_ or more of those fair-use tenets are respected).

Again, most people are morons who can't comprehend even these legal basics.
But given you're an EE, if you put your mind to it, you can understand it.
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tenets+fair+use+doctrine+copyright+law+usa>

For example, if anyone mentions copyright law again with respect to
screenshot'ing what is _already_ legally on your phone, I point them to...
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use>
<https://ogc.harvard.edu/pages/copyright-and-fair-use>
<https://guides.mtholyoke.edu/copyright/fair-use>
<https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html>
<https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/>
<https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-rule-copyright-material-30100.html>
<https://district.maricopa.edu/legal/student-faculty-resources/ip/guidelines/fair-use>
etc.

All of which I've read and understood (unlike the morons like Carlos here).

> 34 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had
> 156 Android & Android Phone Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish
> they Had
>
> <https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>
>
> 66 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
> Citations
>
> 100% Fact Checked

You need to add screen mirroring on windows using simple freeware commands.
--
Having been on Usenet for decades, it's my assessment fewer than 1/2 of
1/10th of 1 percent of the people who post are purposefully helpful.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<ms11ji-hjf.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30672&group=comp.mobile.android#30672

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:30:30 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:30 UTC

On 2022-04-18 15:57, sms wrote:
> On 4/17/2022 11:12 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

>>> With a separate camera?  Makes it pretty pointless to block the
>>> screenshot.
>>
>> That's what's people do, but obviously the results have much less
>> quality.
>>
>> Arlen is, obviously, stealing the photo, albeit the app lies, it is
>> not for security reasons, but for profit reasons :-D
>
> I don't know what he's trying to take a screenshot of, but there are
> legitimate reasons to take screenshots even when you get the message
> “Can’t take screenshot due to security policy.”
>
> I ran into this with the Android app from my health care provider.
>
> I wanted to take a screen shot of my membership card so I could store it
> in Google Pay instead of having to open the provider's app to get to it.
>
> The Android phone displayed a message "Can't take a screenshot due to
> the security policy." I opened the provider's iPhone app and there was
> no restriction, so I took the screenshot and emailed it to myself.

Well, obviously your health care provider considers you are not entitled
to make a photo of your membership card. You think you are, but they
don't. And they are the owners, not you.

I don't know the context of your health card system, but I can think of
the Spanish ID cards. A photo of one such card is enough to, for
instance, open an account at an online only bank, and use that account
for frauds. When the police investigates, they'll seek the ID card
owner, who will be in trouble, because someone stole a photo of it.

Of course, I hate restrictions and will find ways to bypass them when I
want :-P

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<7021ji-hjf.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30674&group=comp.mobile.android#30674

From: robin_li...@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:32:23 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:32 UTC

On 2022-04-18 19:22, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> sms wrote:
>
>>> Of course this is an Android security hole, allowing mirroring to the
>>> computer of a protected screen.
>>
>> LOL, you mean compared with iOS having no restrictions on screen shots?!
>
> I find it interesting that people like Carlos whose brains can't handle
> even
> teh slightest bit of complexity,

Arlen, I did not insult you.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<180420221753160881%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30675&group=comp.mobile.android#30675

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:53:16 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:53 UTC

In article <7021ji-hjf.ln1@Telcontar.valinor>, Carlos E.R.
<robin_listas@es.invalid> wrote:

> On 2022-04-18 19:22, Andy Burnelli wrote:
> > I find it interesting that people like Carlos whose brains can't handle
> > even teh slightest bit of complexity,
>
> Arlen, I did not insult you.

perhaps you should.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3knah$k6h$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30677&group=comp.mobile.android#30677

From: scharf.s...@geemail.com (sms)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:05:03 -0700
 by: sms - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:05 UTC

On 4/18/2022 2:30 PM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

<snip>

> Well, obviously your health care provider considers you are not entitled
> to make a photo of your membership card.

Well at least not if you're an Android user! If you're an iPhone user
then no problem since iOS lacks the capability to prevent screenshots.

In the U.S., the membership card doesn't do you any good without a
matching government ID and of course you can't get to the card inside
the mobile wallet without first unlocking the device.

It's just a matter of convenience to have all your cards in one place in
Google Pay or the Apple Wallet. Other than this one screenshot issue
it's actually easier to do this in Android. See #133a on page 58 of the
document <https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>, "Ability to add any
card to Digital Wallet for Free."

---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------
✓ 34 iOS & iPhone Features Which [many] Android Users Wish they Had ✓
✓ 156 Android & Android Phone Features Which [many] iOS Users Wish
they Had ✓

<https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>

✓ 66 Pages of Extensively Referenced Information with Hundreds of
Citations ✓

✓ 100% Fact Checked ✓
---------------------------------------•-----------------------------------------

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<180420221824092087%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30681&group=comp.mobile.android#30681

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 18:24:09 -0400
 by: nospam - Mon, 18 Apr 2022 22:24 UTC

In article <t3knah$k6h$1@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

> > Well, obviously your health care provider considers you are not entitled
> > to make a photo of your membership card.
>
> Well at least not if you're an Android user! If you're an iPhone user
> then no problem since iOS lacks the capability to prevent screenshots.

although screenshots can't be blocked, it can be detected and the image
deleted, which is the same net effect.

another option is an app can offer a alternate image, which is what
some apps do if there is private data being displayed, such as the
developer's logo, or for lazy developers, an all white or black image.

> In the U.S., the membership card doesn't do you any good without a
> matching government ID and of course you can't get to the card inside
> the mobile wallet without first unlocking the device.

that is false.

an iphone can show wallet cards on the lock screen *without* unlocking
it if the user enables that.

cards that do not require authentication, such as membership cards, do
not require any further action.

cards used for payment will require authentication, which is only for
the payment itself and not for unlocking the device.

it helps to have used an iphone before making such comments.

> It's just a matter of convenience to have all your cards in one place in
> Google Pay or the Apple Wallet. Other than this one screenshot issue
> it's actually easier to do this in Android.

actually, it isn't.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3l77n$5fc$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30708&group=comp.mobile.android#30708

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 03:36:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 02:36 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Well at least not if you're an Android user! If you're an iPhone user
>> then no problem since iOS lacks the capability to prevent screenshots.
>
> although screenshots can't be blocked, it can be detected and the image
> deleted, which is the same net effect.

What you can do in iOS depends not on the laws, but on the iOS version:

*How to Disable Screenshots and Recording in iOS Apps*
<https://hackernoon.com/how-to-disable-screenshots-and-recording-in-ios-apps-8l2e3tmb>

How to Prevent Screen Capture
a. In iOS 11 and above
b. Listen to notification userDidTakeScreenshotNotification
c. Then either kill the app or send the user a warning

How to Prevent Screen Recording
a. To check if a screen is getting captured/recording
b. Check the isCaptured property on UIScreen
c. Or periodically call the method isRecording

> another option is an app can offer a alternate image, which is what
> some apps do if there is private data being displayed, such as the
> developer's logo, or for lazy developers, an all white or black image.

Note the existence of this iOS "ScreenShieldKit" software technology.

<https://screenshieldkit.com/> [Supports iOS 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14]
"ScreenShieldKit technology prevents screenshots of the sensitive
content in your iOS app."
*Screenshot*
Protect against a user taking a screenshot using the Top/Side
+ Home/Volume up buttons on the device.

*Screen recording*
Protect against on-device screen recordings of your app.

*QuickTime recording*
Protect against recording a video of the screen from
QuickTime Movie Recording.

*Screen mirroring*
Protect against attempts to use AirPlay Screen Mirroring
to copy sensitive content.

*Xcode screenshot*
Protect against screenshots taken from Xcode by developers using their Mac.

*App switcher*
Protect against screenshots taken from the app switcher,
when your app isn't in the foreground.

>> In the U.S., the membership card doesn't do you any good without a
>> matching government ID and of course you can't get to the card inside
>> the mobile wallet without first unlocking the device.
>
> that is false.
>
> an iphone can show wallet cards on the lock screen *without* unlocking
> it if the user enables that.
>
> cards that do not require authentication, such as membership cards, do
> not require any further action.
>
> cards used for payment will require authentication, which is only for
> the payment itself and not for unlocking the device.
>
> it helps to have used an iphone before making such comments.

This is a recent article on the subject of preventing screen capture on iOS:
*How do I restrict a screenshot on iOS?*
<https://quick-adviser.com/how-do-i-restrict-a-screenshot-on-ios/>

>> It's just a matter of convenience to have all your cards in one place in
>> Google Pay or the Apple Wallet. Other than this one screenshot issue
>> it's actually easier to do this in Android.
>
> actually, it isn't.

People who don't "just give up" can always find a way to record the screen.

I easily bypassed the Android security policy preventing screenshots simply
by mirroring my Android phone onto Windows using a free Windows executable.

Both commands are in this zip file <https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy>

To mirror Android on Windows over Wi-Fi:
C:\> adb connect 192.168.0.2:5555
C:\> scrcpy
Where the "192.168.0.2" is the IP address of your phone on your LAN.

To take a movie of the entire session (on either USB or over Wi-Fi):
C:\> scrcpy --record file.mp4

To perfectly screenshot just the phone window on demand in Windows:
C:\> Irfanview
Irfanview:Options/Capture Screenshot > (o)Foreground window - Client area
File name: capture_$U(%Y%m%d_%H%M%S)_###
(Or you can automatically capture every half second or whatever)

I asked the same question of screenshot mirroring on the child-like Apple
newsgroup that I had asked on both the Android & Windows adult OS newsgroups
but all that resulted kindergarten responses typical of Apple newsgroups.
*Can you mirror your iPhone/iPad onto your Windows PC*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/6Oc1eLcB7uM>

I don't know yet as I haven't tried, but I suspect the reason the iOS users
turned into instant children is perhaps the functionality simply doesn't
exist for the iOS users (and that's what they _hate_ most about Apple).
--
The job of a Usenet post is to add useful value each time we communicate.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<180420222334057754%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30712&group=comp.mobile.android#30712

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 23:34:05 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 03:34 UTC

In article <t3l77n$5fc$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > another option is an app can offer a alternate image, which is what
> > some apps do if there is private data being displayed, such as the
> > developer's logo, or for lazy developers, an all white or black image.
>
> Note the existence of this iOS "ScreenShieldKit" software technology.

i'm familiar with that sdk and was not referring to it. it's hokey and
best avoided.

> > it helps to have used an iphone before making such comments.
>
> This is a recent article on the subject of preventing screen capture on iOS:

it helps to understand ios app development before blindly searching on
keywords, hoping to find something.

knowing where to look, namely apple's developer site among other
resources, reveals that it *is* possible to block screenshots on ios
without needing a third party sdk or special casing it, although it's
global, not per-app.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3lf6g$cn8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30713&group=comp.mobile.android#30713

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:52:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 04:52 UTC

nospam wrote:

>> Note the existence of this iOS "ScreenShieldKit" software technology.
>
> i'm familiar with that sdk and was not referring to it. it's hokey and
> best avoided.

You always amaze me that you're the only iKook who actually knows anything
about iOS (all the other iKooks know even less than I do about iOS).

What was interesting is that the "ScreenShieldKit" purported to detect the
use of Apple-specific screen mirroring techniques such as "AirPlay" &
"Xcode" on Apple-specific products such as the mac; (but they don't mention
the FOSS type I'm using for Android from GitHub and running on Windows).

The main question is whether there is a FOSS solution for screen mirroring
for my iOS devices onto my Windows computer.

I asked that question but the only responses were kindergarten ones
(which are typical childish responses always found in the Apple newsgroups).
*Can you mirror your iPhone/iPad onto your Windows PC?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/6Oc1eLcB7uM>

I also asked on the adult PC newsgroup, and that garnered adult responses:
*How do you mirror your Android phone onto your Windows PC?*
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/eMYBmpq2H50>

Note it's always only the Apple OS newsgroups which are almost completely
filled with little children who _hate_ any questions about functionality.

>>> it helps to have used an iphone before making such comments.
>>
>> This is a recent article on the subject of preventing screen capture on iOS:
>
> it helps to understand ios app development before blindly searching on
> keywords, hoping to find something.

All I care about at the moment is to find a FOSS tool that mirrors my iPad
onto my Windows computer.

Do you know anything about that?

> knowing where to look, namely apple's developer site among other
> resources, reveals that it *is* possible to block screenshots on ios
> without needing a third party sdk or special casing it, although it's
> global, not per-app.

What do you know about how to mirror your iOS device onto a Windows PC?
--
There are two types of people on Usenet, only one of which is helpful.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3lhfv$120u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30714&group=comp.mobile.android#30714

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 06:31:59 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:31 UTC

Carlos E.R. wrote:

> I did not insult you.

OK. I'll accept that. I'm not even going to look at your previous response
because we've all been on Usenet for decades. It's water under the bridge.

All I care about on the Android & iOS newsgroups are three things:
1. Learning from others
2. Teaching others
3. Showing that the iKooks are utter morons who are always full of shit

The latter is because I despise cruel despicable unprepossessing people.
a. As long as you teach me or learn from me, I'll respect you.
b. And as long as you don't act like the iKooks do, I'll respect you.

Much like these commands are simple mirrors of what's on the Android phone,
I'm a simple mirror of your intent.

Hence I openly apologize to you if I errantly thought you had claimed I was
"stealing" an image which, let's be clear, is provided for free by the app.
--
The difference between me and the iKooks is that I act like an adult should.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3lior$1e9m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30715&group=comp.mobile.android#30715

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 06:53:47 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 05:53 UTC

nospam wrote:

> I did not insult you.
>
> perhaps you should.

It's impossible to insult me but I will defend against any insults save for
those from the 40-IQ morons like Snit, Alan Baker, Your Name, Haemactylus,
Jolly Roger, Wilf, Rod Speed, Joerg, Lewis, et. al.

Carlos has, at times, acted much like an adult should, in that, for example,
he read (and understood!) the cites I provided on Covid, and he even
provided a valid cite of his own regarding a Singapore study - which is
something most of you iKooks don't have the capacity to perform.

You are different from the other iKooks as your IQ actually approaches
normal (it's below normal - probably around 80 - but it's still double that
of the other iKooks) as you _can_ process details when they are details in
support of Apple products.

The funny thing is that you always support Apple bullshit, no matter what.
It's as if your brain is fed directly from the Apple web site what to think.

You don't have the capacity of independent thought processes outside Apple.
But what's more indicative of your low IQ is that all your excuses are that
of a kindergarten child in that they're not even consistent.

You only have a half dozen responses to fact that you don't like about
Apple. The first is to simply deny the fact. When that doesn't work, you
follow a predictable cavalcade of excuses including you claim that the
functionality exists when it doesn't. And you'll claim that Apple has no
free will. And you'll claim that Google or Samsung or Microsoft made Apple
remove all the functionality that Apple removes.

You'll actually claim that "battery chemistry" that is specific only to
Apple is what caused the throttling PR disaster - where the funny thing is
that people like you actually _believe_ Apple has a special battery
chemistry that only operates on certain iPhones and even then, only with
certain iOS versions on those iPhones.

That you actually _believe_ that stuff - shows your IQ can't be even normal,
since any normal person would realize instantly that Apple boldly lied.

You'll also end up resorting to ad hominem attacks at the very end, even
resorting to kindergarten tricks like "ftfy", which is a clear sign of a
rather low IQ because you have no _adult_ defense to facts.

Yet... after proving you are a child with a rather low IQ, the funny thing
that differentiates you from most of the other iKooks is that you _can_
process technical detail at the level that Steve can, and perhaps even Alan
Browne or Chris can process facts _almost_ at the level that you can.

That's what's so _different_ about you, nospam.
You're _not_ exactly like the rest of the iKooks.

You're _different_ (in a good way).
You do have the capacity of adult thought processes - but - only when those
adult thought processes _benefit_ your concept of what Apple is and does.

It's almost as if you're paid by Apple to defend them on Usenet, nospam.
(Much like it's as if Steve is paid by Verizon to shill them on Usenet.)

The rest of the iKooks can't process details, but you and Alan Browne and
maybe Chris, can process details at the level of a high school kid - which
isn't bad for an iKook (the rest are at the kindergarten level).

I find it interesting that because you, nospam, can't figure out how to do
something, you often say it's _illegal_ such as you do with automatic call
recording.

You did the same with jailbreaking, claiming, years ago, it was copyright
infringement (although in a way, it does apply under US copyright law).

You did it with torrenting also, where I proved that there are _zero_
successful US court cases where the defendant challenged the charges, that
the defendant has ever lost. (You and I discussed, years ago, that there was
one "Malibu" set of Los Angeles cases where the lawyers were eventually
disbarred since they were actually purposefully seeding the movies that they
then brought lawsuits against the defendents for torrenting, as I recall.)

As for copyright, most people are stupid such that they can't handle the
complexity of basic "fair use" copyright law as it applies in the USA.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3ljo7$1p2o$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30719&group=comp.mobile.android#30719

From: spa...@nospam.com (Andy Burnelli)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:10:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burnelli - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 06:10 UTC

Andy Burnelli wrote:

> If you know of a way to wake up the screen from Windows, let me know.

UPDATE...

This scrcpy is kind of like ffmpeg or wget or Irfanview, where everything
you might want has already been thought of and supplied in the options! :)

The README shows how to do everything that I was asking about
a. Pinch to zoom with a mouse
b. Keep phone awake
c. Copy/paste between Android & Windows (both ways)
etc.
<https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy#readme>

There is one other problem which is adb is a bit flaky on my network
(probably because my network is hardened to not allow re-connects).

Luckily there is a solution which is summarized by this sequence below:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37267335/android-studio-wireless-adb-error-10061

When you get the error while trying Wi-Fi connections:
C:\> adb connect 192.168.0.2:5555
adb connect 192.168.0.2:5555 cannot connect to 192.168.0.2:5555:
No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. (10061)

1. Connect the phone to USB
2. Check that the phone is also connected to your Wi-Fi network
Ping your gateway from the PC or from Termux on the phone if necessary.
3. adb kill-server
4. adb tcpip 5555
5. Disconnect the phone from the USB cable any time after that command
6. adb connect 192.168.0.2 (you can also use adb connect 192.168.0.2:5555)
8. adb devices
9. scrcpy
scrcpy --tcpip
scrcpy --tcpip=192.168.0.2:5555
scrcpy --always-on-top
scrcpy --always-on-top --disable-screensaver --stay-awake
etc.

When you are done with your adb session:
10. adb disconnect

See also: <https://appuals.com/no-connection-could-be-made-adb-error-10061/>
--
All I care about on the Android & iOS newsgroups are three things:
1. Learning from others
2. Teaching others
3. Showing that the iKooks are utter morons who are always full of shit

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<190420220824195060%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30728&group=comp.mobile.android#30728

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:24:19 -0400
 by: nospam - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:24 UTC

In article <t3lf6g$cn8$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
<spam@nospam.com> wrote:

> All I care about at the moment is to find a FOSS tool that mirrors my iPad
> onto my Windows computer.
>
> Do you know anything about that?

yes i do.

the question you meant to ask is if i'm interested in telling you what
i know about it, and the answer to that is a resounding no.

it should be somewhat entertaining to watch you flail about as you
usually do, likely ending up with the most convoluted and insane
solution possible to do something that's actually quite simple, then
whining about how it's all apple's fault.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<t3mb9a$kbv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30732&group=comp.mobile.android#30732

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:51:50 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:51 UTC

"nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <t3lf6g$cn8$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
> <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> All I care about at the moment is to find a FOSS tool that mirrors my
>> iPad
>> onto my Windows computer.
>>
>> Do you know anything about that?
>
> yes i do.
>
> the question you meant to ask is if i'm interested in telling you what
> i know about it, and the answer to that is a resounding no.
>
> it should be somewhat entertaining to watch you flail about as you
> usually do, likely ending up with the most convoluted and insane
> solution possible to do something that's actually quite simple, then
> whining about how it's all apple's fault.

If the solution is "actually quite simple" then why the F won't you just
tell people the answer instead of sitting there smugly saying "I know the
answer - but I'm not going to tell you".

The spirit of news groups is a community of people who actually *want* to
help each other. There is no place for people like you who sit on the
sidelines, being smug, and not passing on their knowledge or experiences. I
worked for a manager like that who wouldn't pass on any of his knowledge,
even if it benefited his company (the company was owned by two partners with
several employees). He spent a lot of time wandering round the office,
looking over people's shoulders, muttering "yes, that's easy" or "it's in
one of those books over there". But he wouldn't pass on any of his knowledge
and called everyone "incompetent" or "clueless" because they weren't as
knowledgeable as him.

Re: Bypassing "Can't take screenshot due to security policy"

<190420220903316189%nospam@nospam.invalid>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=30735&group=comp.mobile.android#30735

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 09:03:31 -0400
References: <t3eujs$lv1$1@gioia.aioe.org> <jc0facFpl0bU1@mid.individual.net> <v3cvii-ra7.ln1@Telcontar.valinor> <t3jqos$nqm$1@dont-email.me> <ms11ji-hjf.ln1@Telcontar.valinor> <t3knah$k6h$1@dont-email.me> <180420221824092087%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t3l77n$5fc$1@gioia.aioe.org> <180420222334057754%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t3lf6g$cn8$1@gioia.aioe.org> <190420220824195060%nospam@nospam.invalid> <t3mb9a$kbv$1@dont-email.me>
 by: nospam - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:03 UTC

In article <t3mb9a$kbv$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:

> > In article <t3lf6g$cn8$1@gioia.aioe.org>, Andy Burnelli
> > <spam@nospam.com> wrote:
> >> All I care about at the moment is to find a FOSS tool that mirrors my
> >> iPad onto my Windows computer.
> >>
> >> Do you know anything about that?
> >
> > yes i do.
> >
> > the question you meant to ask is if i'm interested in telling you what
> > i know about it, and the answer to that is a resounding no.
> >
> > it should be somewhat entertaining to watch you flail about as you
> > usually do, likely ending up with the most convoluted and insane
> > solution possible to do something that's actually quite simple, then
> > whining about how it's all apple's fault.
>
> If the solution is "actually quite simple" then why the F won't you just
> tell people the answer instead of sitting there smugly saying "I know the
> answer - but I'm not going to tell you".

because it's 'arlen' asking, who doesn't actually want an answer.

he will reject anything anyone suggests and then rant about how it
doesn't work, despite it doing exactly what he asked for, mostly
because he doesn't know what he's doing, along with the rest of his
usual idiotic bullshit rants.

btdt.