"If that makes any sense to you, you have a big problem." -- C. Durance, Computer Science 234

computers / alt.online-service.comcast / Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

SubjectAuthor
* Xfinity Takes Down the xFi WebsiteBullwinkle
+* Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi WebsiteBig Al
|`* Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi WebsiteBullwinkle
| `- Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi WebsiteBullwinkle
+- Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi WebsiteKenW
`* Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi WebsiteRetirednoguilt
 `- Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi WebsiteFrank

1
Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

<MPG.3cd728c8bcb1c016989686@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=303&group=alt.online-service.comcast#303

From: Bullwin...@invalid.invalid (Bullwinkle)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:07:25 -0700
 by: Bullwinkle - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:07 UTC

Many of you must have gotten this email from Comcast:

"The xFi website is going away
As of June 7, 2022, the Xfinity xFi website found at
internet.xfinity.com will no longer be available. But don?t worry ? your
service is not changing. All the features of Xfinity xFi are available
right from the palm of your hand with the Xfinity app.

The Xfinity app is the easiest way to manage your Xfinity experience.
Not only does it provide the ultimate control of your home WiFi network
with the ability to assign user profiles, view and control connected
devices, test your speeds, and enable Advanced Security, it also allows
you to manage your Xfinity account and get help whenever you need it ?
24/7.

Once the website is retired on June 7, 2022, you will be unable to
adjust any of your WiFi settings, pause WiFi, or use other existing
parent control settings unless you download the free Xfinity app. If you
haven?t already done so, be sure to download it today!"

A thread about it began today on the Xfinity forum, under Internet.

Beginning June 7, 2022, it seems like you'll need a smart phone, the
Xfinity app, and a google account to make any configuration changes to
your internet account.

What about those, especially older folks, who use only flip phones, or
have no phone? Will this affect the ability to make changes to web
email, such as adding accounts or creating new folders? There are many
other concerns, too.

Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

<t4k200$qrr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=304&group=alt.online-service.comcast#304

From: Bea...@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Subject: Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:17:20 -0400
 by: Big Al - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 19:17 UTC

On 4/30/22 15:07, this is what Bullwinkle wrote:

> Many of you must have gotten this email from Comcast:
>
> "The xFi website is going away
>
> As of June 7, 2022, the Xfinity xFi website found at
> internet.xfinity.com will no longer be available. But don?t worry ? your
> service is not changing. All the features of Xfinity xFi are available
> right from the palm of your hand with the Xfinity app.
>
> The Xfinity app is the easiest way to manage your Xfinity experience.
> Not only does it provide the ultimate control of your home WiFi network
> with the ability to assign user profiles, view and control connected
> devices, test your speeds, and enable Advanced Security, it also allows
> you to manage your Xfinity account and get help whenever you need it ?
> 24/7.
>
> Once the website is retired on June 7, 2022, you will be unable to
> adjust any of your WiFi settings, pause WiFi, or use other existing
> parent control settings unless you download the free Xfinity app. If you
> haven?t already done so, be sure to download it today!"
>
> A thread about it began today on the Xfinity forum, under Internet.
>
> Beginning June 7, 2022, it seems like you'll need a smart phone, the
> Xfinity app, and a google account to make any configuration changes to
> your internet account.
>
> What about those, especially older folks, who use only flip phones, or
> have no phone? Will this affect the ability to make changes to web
> email, such as adding accounts or creating new folders? There are many
> other concerns, too.

Some things still will/can be done from the web mail in browser. (Making folders) But yes, this is going to toss a
wrench in the works maybe. I'd like to think that Xfinity has it covered.

Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

<1l8r6htqtn48c3ar88ohvm8c44lco4v1h3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=305&group=alt.online-service.comcast#305

From: ken1...@invalid.net (KenW)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 15:06:32 -0600
 by: KenW - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:06 UTC

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022 12:07:25 -0700, Bullwinkle
<Bullwinkle@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Many of you must have gotten this email from Comcast:
>
>"The xFi website is going away
>
>As of June 7, 2022, the Xfinity xFi website found at
>internet.xfinity.com will no longer be available. But don?t worry ? your
>service is not changing. All the features of Xfinity xFi are available
>right from the palm of your hand with the Xfinity app.
>
> The Xfinity app is the easiest way to manage your Xfinity experience.
>Not only does it provide the ultimate control of your home WiFi network
>with the ability to assign user profiles, view and control connected
>devices, test your speeds, and enable Advanced Security, it also allows
>you to manage your Xfinity account and get help whenever you need it ?
>24/7.
>
> Once the website is retired on June 7, 2022, you will be unable to
>adjust any of your WiFi settings, pause WiFi, or use other existing
>parent control settings unless you download the free Xfinity app. If you
>haven?t already done so, be sure to download it today!"
>
>A thread about it began today on the Xfinity forum, under Internet.
>
>Beginning June 7, 2022, it seems like you'll need a smart phone, the
>Xfinity app, and a google account to make any configuration changes to
>your internet account.
>
>What about those, especially older folks, who use only flip phones, or
>have no phone? Will this affect the ability to make changes to web
>email, such as adding accounts or creating new folders? There are many
>other concerns, too.

Hell I have enough trouble now. 47 yrs telephone tech, ham radio and
built some of my computers and repaired some at work. HOWEVER never
fell in love with cell phones.

KenW

Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

<MPG.3cd74ed47457a7e7989687@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=306&group=alt.online-service.comcast#306

From: Bullwin...@invalid.invalid (Bullwinkle)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 14:49:55 -0700
 by: Bullwinkle - Sat, 30 Apr 2022 21:49 UTC

In article <t4k200$qrr$1@dont-email.me>, Bears@invalid.com says...

> On 4/30/22 15:07, this is what Bullwinkle wrote:
> >

> > Many of you must have gotten this email from Comcast:
> >
> > "The xFi website is going away
> >
> > As of June 7, 2022, the Xfinity xFi website found at
> > internet.xfinity.com will no longer be available. But don?t worry ? your
> > service is not changing. All the features of Xfinity xFi are available
> > right from the palm of your hand with the Xfinity app.
> >
> > The Xfinity app is the easiest way to manage your Xfinity experience.
> > Not only does it provide the ultimate control of your home WiFi network
> > with the ability to assign user profiles, view and control connected
> > devices, test your speeds, and enable Advanced Security, it also allows
> > you to manage your Xfinity account and get help whenever you need it ?
> > 24/7.
> >
> > Once the website is retired on June 7, 2022, you will be unable to
> > adjust any of your WiFi settings, pause WiFi, or use other existing
> > parent control settings unless you download the free Xfinity app. If you
> > haven?t already done so, be sure to download it today!"
> >
> > A thread about it began today on the Xfinity forum, under Internet.
> >
> > Beginning June 7, 2022, it seems like you'll need a smart phone, the
> > Xfinity app, and a google account to make any configuration changes to
> > your internet account.
> >
> > What about those, especially older folks, who use only flip phones, or
> > have no phone? Will this affect the ability to make changes to web
> > email, such as adding accounts or creating new folders? There are many
> > other concerns, too.
>
> Some things still will/can be done from the web mail in browser. (Making folders) But yes, this is going to toss a
> wrench in the works maybe. I'd like to think that Xfinity has it covered.

Here's a reply from an Xfinity employee on the Xfinity forum:

"Hello there @user_6d422c, Thank you so much for reaching out to us
about your concerns regarding our Xfinity Website. You are in the right
place and I am happy to address your concerns. Now our Website is not
going away at all. There is some xFi Features that are going away only.
You will need to download our Xfinity App to use the features that the
xFi website offers."

Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

<MPG.3cd777169d5494db989689@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=307&group=alt.online-service.comcast#307

From: Bullwin...@invalid.invalid (Bullwinkle)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 17:41:29 -0700
 by: Bullwinkle - Sun, 1 May 2022 00:41 UTC

In article <MPG.3cd74ed47457a7e7989687@news.eternal-september.org>,
Bullwinkle@invalid.invalid says...

> In article <t4k200$qrr$1@dont-email.me>, Bears@invalid.com says...
> >
> > On 4/30/22 15:07, this is what Bullwinkle wrote:
> > >

> > > Many of you must have gotten this email from Comcast:
> > >
> > > "The xFi website is going away
> > >
> > > As of June 7, 2022, the Xfinity xFi website found at
> > > internet.xfinity.com will no longer be available. But don?t worry ? your
> > > service is not changing. All the features of Xfinity xFi are available
> > > right from the palm of your hand with the Xfinity app.
> > >
> > > The Xfinity app is the easiest way to manage your Xfinity experience.
> > > Not only does it provide the ultimate control of your home WiFi network
> > > with the ability to assign user profiles, view and control connected
> > > devices, test your speeds, and enable Advanced Security, it also allows
> > > you to manage your Xfinity account and get help whenever you need it ?
> > > 24/7.
> > >
> > > Once the website is retired on June 7, 2022, you will be unable to
> > > adjust any of your WiFi settings, pause WiFi, or use other existing
> > > parent control settings unless you download the free Xfinity app. If you
> > > haven?t already done so, be sure to download it today!"
> > >
> > > A thread about it began today on the Xfinity forum, under Internet.
> > >
> > > Beginning June 7, 2022, it seems like you'll need a smart phone, the
> > > Xfinity app, and a google account to make any configuration changes to
> > > your internet account.
> > >
> > > What about those, especially older folks, who use only flip phones, or
> > > have no phone? Will this affect the ability to make changes to web
> > > email, such as adding accounts or creating new folders? There are many
> > > other concerns, too.
> >
> > Some things still will/can be done from the web mail in browser. (Making folders) But yes, this is going to toss a
> > wrench in the works maybe. I'd like to think that Xfinity has it covered.
>
> Here's a reply from an Xfinity employee on the Xfinity forum:
>
> "Hello there @user_6d422c, Thank you so much for reaching out to us
> about your concerns regarding our Xfinity Website. You are in the right
> place and I am happy to address your concerns. Now our Website is not
> going away at all. There is some xFi Features that are going away only.
> You will need to download our Xfinity App to use the features that the
> xFi website offers."

On the Xfinity forum, I asked the employee to cite which features would
no longer be available. Here's what another employee responded to my
question. Hard to believe.

"Upon further research, there should be no changes in features. We
apologize for the confusion. You should dtill have access to all the
same features as before."

I guess we'll only know of any changes after June 7, 2022. You know, we
have to activate the new interface before we know what's in it.

Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

<t4m2et$lfp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=308&group=alt.online-service.comcast#308

From: HapilyRe...@fakeaddress.com (Retirednoguilt)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 09:37:31 -0400
 by: Retirednoguilt - Sun, 1 May 2022 13:37 UTC

On 4/30/2022 3:07 PM, Bullwinkle wrote:

> Many of you must have gotten this email from Comcast:
>
> "The xFi website is going away
>
> As of June 7, 2022, the Xfinity xFi website found at
> internet.xfinity.com will no longer be available. But don?t worry ? your
> service is not changing. All the features of Xfinity xFi are available
> right from the palm of your hand with the Xfinity app.
>
> The Xfinity app is the easiest way to manage your Xfinity experience.
> Not only does it provide the ultimate control of your home WiFi network
> with the ability to assign user profiles, view and control connected
> devices, test your speeds, and enable Advanced Security, it also allows
> you to manage your Xfinity account and get help whenever you need it ?
> 24/7.
>
> Once the website is retired on June 7, 2022, you will be unable to
> adjust any of your WiFi settings, pause WiFi, or use other existing
> parent control settings unless you download the free Xfinity app. If you
> haven?t already done so, be sure to download it today!"
>
> A thread about it began today on the Xfinity forum, under Internet.
>
> Beginning June 7, 2022, it seems like you'll need a smart phone, the
> Xfinity app, and a google account to make any configuration changes to
> your internet account.
>
> What about those, especially older folks, who use only flip phones, or
> have no phone? Will this affect the ability to make changes to web
> email, such as adding accounts or creating new folders? There are many
> other concerns, too.

Not an ideal solution for those on very limited budgets, but inexpensive
android tablets using wifi cost less than $150. One can install and use
the xfinity app on that. You don't need a smart cell phone. I know, I
have such a tablet (and I have xfinity wifi as part of my condo's
triple-play bulk contract with xfinity). Also, if you have a desktop or
laptop PC with internet access (you can use ethernet or wifi for your
internet connection) and install a free android emulation program, such
as BlueStacks and then install the android xfinity app onto that
platform. A smartphone is not the only way to access the xfinity app.

Re: Xfinity Takes Down the xFi Website

<t4mcc0$5vh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=309&group=alt.online-service.comcast#309

From: "fran...@frank.net (Frank)
Newsgroups: alt.online-service.comcast
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 12:26:39 -0400
 by: Frank - Sun, 1 May 2022 16:26 UTC

On 5/1/2022 9:37 AM, Retirednoguilt wrote:
> On 4/30/2022 3:07 PM, Bullwinkle wrote:
>>

>> Many of you must have gotten this email from Comcast:
>>
>> "The xFi website is going away
>> As of June 7, 2022, the Xfinity xFi website found at
>> internet.xfinity.com will no longer be available. But don?t worry ? your
>> service is not changing. All the features of Xfinity xFi are available
>> right from the palm of your hand with the Xfinity app.
>>
>>   The Xfinity app is the easiest way to manage your Xfinity experience.
>> Not only does it provide the ultimate control of your home WiFi network
>> with the ability to assign user profiles, view and control connected
>> devices, test your speeds, and enable Advanced Security, it also allows
>> you to manage your Xfinity account and get help whenever you need it ?
>> 24/7.
>>
>>   Once the website is retired on June 7, 2022, you will be unable to
>> adjust any of your WiFi settings, pause WiFi, or use other existing
>> parent control settings unless you download the free Xfinity app. If you
>> haven?t already done so, be sure to download it today!"
>>
>> A thread about it began today on the Xfinity forum, under Internet.
>>
>> Beginning June 7, 2022, it seems like you'll need a smart phone, the
>> Xfinity app, and a google account to make any configuration changes to
>> your internet account.
>>
>> What about those, especially older folks, who use only flip phones, or
>> have no phone?  Will this affect the ability to make changes to web
>> email, such as adding accounts or creating new folders?  There are many
>> other concerns, too.
>
> Not an ideal solution for those on very limited budgets, but inexpensive
> android tablets using wifi cost less than $150.  One can install and use
> the xfinity app on that.  You don't need a smart cell phone.  I know, I
> have such a tablet (and I have xfinity wifi as part of my condo's
> triple-play bulk contract with xfinity).  Also, if you have a desktop or
> laptop PC with internet access (you can use ethernet or wifi for your
> internet connection) and install a free android emulation program, such
> as BlueStacks and then install the android xfinity app onto that
> platform. A smartphone is not the only way to access the xfinity app.

A cell phone is a tablet with a phone app. Last year with early G's
becoming antiquated I discarded my Tracfone flip phone for a low cost
($100) Samsung smart phone. Tracfone usage now for a year with data
only cost about ten dollars more for a year. You do not get a lot of
data for the price but I have used none as home it is on wifi and just
about every where I go there is free wifi.

I seldom go to Comcast website but ever time I do on my PC my
Bitdefender AV has a fit saying it is a threat.