From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Eudora: Viewing Mail
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:47:11 +0100
 by: Piet - Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:47 UTC

On the tab "Viewing Mail" Eudora you can check the option
"Use Microsoft's viewer", with or without also checking
"Use separate settings from Internet Explorer".

But what exactly is "Microsoft's viewer" in this context,
when Eudora is installed under Win10? Edge?
No browser is started when viewing a message in html, so
I can't check it there. Is Eudora just using MS browser's
rendering engine and no more than that?

-p

Re: Eudora: Viewing Mail

<pe9stgdf7mvsedifhpjchmja06fomfg64a@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=306&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#306

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Subject: Re: Eudora: Viewing Mail
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:54:18 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 00:54 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 17:47:11 +0100, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> declaimed the following:

>On the tab "Viewing Mail" Eudora you can check the option
>"Use Microsoft's viewer", with or without also checking
>"Use separate settings from Internet Explorer".
>
>But what exactly is "Microsoft's viewer" in this context,
>when Eudora is installed under Win10? Edge?
>No browser is started when viewing a message in html, so
>I can't check it there. Is Eudora just using MS browser's
>rendering engine and no more than that?

"Microsoft's viewer" is the Internet Explorer rendering engine. At one
time that was even used for Windows file manager windows, and typing a URL
into the path bar at the top of the file manager window would open a web
page in the file manager.

Most of us turned it off because -- at the time -- it was a known
security risk (also turned off preview pane); a history of executing
trojans just be viewing the preview.

The Eudora viewer does not handle Javascript or other embedded code (or
at least, didn't).

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Eudora: Viewing Mail

<srm8k9$1au7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=307&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#307

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:56:26 +0100
 by: Piet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 09:56 UTC

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> Piet wrote:
>> On the tab "Viewing Mail" Eudora you can check the option
>> "Use Microsoft's viewer", with or without also checking
>> "Use separate settings from Internet Explorer".
>>
>> But what exactly is "Microsoft's viewer" in this context,
>> when Eudora is installed under Win10? Edge?
>> No browser is started when viewing a message in html, so
>> I can't check it there. Is Eudora just using MS browser's
>> rendering engine and no more than that?
>
> "Microsoft's viewer" is the Internet Explorer rendering engine.

That's what I expected.

> Most of us turned it off because -- at the time -- it was a known
> security risk (also turned off preview pane); a history of executing
> trojans just be viewing the preview.

I've had both off since day 1 I used Eudora (must have been around 1990).

> The Eudora viewer does not handle Javascript or other embedded code
> (or at least, didn't).

Right. That was just one of the reasons not to use Microsoft's viewer.
However, more and more mail I receive is more or less unreadable due
to use of "modern" html stuff (which I see mainly as bells & whistles).
The approach I take when I trust the mail is "Send to browser" - which
means the browser of *my choice*, which is certainly *not* Edge. And
if I don't trust a mail, I move it to Junk and open that folder with
Notepad, so at least I get an idea of what the sender is trying to
shove up my ass. And yes, in 99.9% of the cases it's spam offering me
Russian girls or rightout phishing or blackmail. Especially the latter
can be quite hilarious, with the sender claiming to have a video of me
watching porn and threatening to put it online if I don't pay; hilarious,
because my pc doesn't have a webcam.

Anyway, the increasing amount of html-mail that Eudora's viewer can't
handle is gradually more or less forcing me to use "Microsoft's viewer",
but I suspect that in Win10 that's Edge's engine and that it pulls in
a lot of unwanted stuff on the fly. So it's quite a dilemma, but still
no reason to give up on Eudora.

-p

Re: Eudora: Viewing Mail

<faf8faff-51b0-471f-9103-899d66937e97n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=308&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#308

Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 04:23:14 -0800 (PST)
From: dav...@sky.com (DaveH2)
 by: DaveH2 - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 12:23 UTC

On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 09:56:26 UTC, Piet wrote:
> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> > Piet wrote:
> >> On the tab "Viewing Mail" Eudora you can check the option
> >> "Use Microsoft's viewer", with or without also checking
> >> "Use separate settings from Internet Explorer".
> >>
> >> But what exactly is "Microsoft's viewer" in this context,
> >> when Eudora is installed under Win10? Edge?
> >> No browser is started when viewing a message in html, so
> >> I can't check it there. Is Eudora just using MS browser's
> >> rendering engine and no more than that?
> >
> > "Microsoft's viewer" is the Internet Explorer rendering engine.
>
> That's what I expected.
>
> > Most of us turned it off because -- at the time -- it was a known
> > security risk (also turned off preview pane); a history of executing
> > trojans just be viewing the preview.
>
> I've had both off since day 1 I used Eudora (must have been around 1990).
>
> > The Eudora viewer does not handle Javascript or other embedded code
> > (or at least, didn't).
>
> Right. That was just one of the reasons not to use Microsoft's viewer.
> However, more and more mail I receive is more or less unreadable due
> to use of "modern" html stuff (which I see mainly as bells & whistles).
> The approach I take when I trust the mail is "Send to browser" - which
> means the browser of *my choice*, which is certainly *not* Edge. And
> if I don't trust a mail, I move it to Junk and open that folder with
> Notepad, so at least I get an idea of what the sender is trying to
> shove up my ass. And yes, in 99.9% of the cases it's spam offering me
> Russian girls or rightout phishing or blackmail. Especially the latter
> can be quite hilarious, with the sender claiming to have a video of me
> watching porn and threatening to put it online if I don't pay; hilarious,
> because my pc doesn't have a webcam.
>
> Anyway, the increasing amount of html-mail that Eudora's viewer can't
> handle is gradually more or less forcing me to use "Microsoft's viewer",
> but I suspect that in Win10 that's Edge's engine and that it pulls in
> a lot of unwanted stuff on the fly. So it's quite a dilemma, but still
> no reason to give up on Eudora.
>
> -p
The "Microsoft Viewer" in Eudora uses the Internet Explorer rendering engine, even on Windows 11! That's why it sometimes doesn't render messages correctly even using that option, it's because the IE rendering engine is now very out of date. Still better than the internal viewer though!

Re: Eudora: Viewing Mail

<8l7utgheaug0cr4l6nvn8nq28d1ua2sao5@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=309&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#309

From: wlfr...@ix.netcom.com (Dennis Lee Bieber)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:33:44 -0500
 by: Dennis Lee Bieber - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 18:33 UTC

On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:56:26 +0100, Piet
<www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> declaimed the following:

>Anyway, the increasing amount of html-mail that Eudora's viewer can't
>handle is gradually more or less forcing me to use "Microsoft's viewer",
>but I suspect that in Win10 that's Edge's engine and that it pulls in
>a lot of unwanted stuff on the fly. So it's quite a dilemma, but still
>no reason to give up on Eudora.

Unlikely, since Eudora is coded to link to the IE engine DLL. It's not
invoking a browser per-se, just the run-time library that was present at
the time. Doesn't know about Edge (isn't that based off Chrome with M$
customization).

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Eudora: Viewing Mail

<srnamp$9ps$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=310&group=comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows#310

From: www.godf...@opt-in.invalid (Piet)
Newsgroups: comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:38:02 +0100
 by: Piet - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:38 UTC

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> Piet wrote:
>> Anyway, the increasing amount of html-mail that Eudora's viewer can't
>> handle is gradually more or less forcing me to use "Microsoft's viewer",
>> but I suspect that in Win10 that's Edge's engine and that it pulls in
>> a lot of unwanted stuff on the fly. So it's quite a dilemma, but still
>> no reason to give up on Eudora.
>
> Unlikely, since Eudora is coded to link to the IE engine DLL. It's not
> invoking a browser per-se, just the run-time library that was present at
> the time. Doesn't know about Edge (isn't that based off Chrome with M$
> customization).

Yeah, you're right: Edge has its own edgehtml.dll. And updates have
changed Edge to the chromium-based Blink engine. Anyway, mshtml.dll
appears to be recent: updated last december 15.

-p