New crypt. See /usr/news/crypt.

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

SubjectAuthor
* Google Again Destroys Another SiteNomen Nescio
+- Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteAnonymous
+* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteAnt
|+* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteNomen Nescio
||`* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SitePaul
|| `- Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|`* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteStan Brown
| `* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteJ. P. Gilliver (John)
|  +* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SitePaul
|  |`- Re: Google Again Destroys Another SitePaul
|  `- Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteMayayana
`* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteNomen Nescio
 `* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteNomen Nescio
  +* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteNomen Nescio
  |`- Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteNomen Nescio
  `* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteAnonymous
   `* Re: Google Again Destroys Another SitePaul
    +- Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteNomen Nescio
    `- Re: Google Again Destroys Another SiteJohn B. Smith

1
Google Again Destroys Another Site

<5c98d7c5320d03af5978579a086170c8@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3050&group=alt.windows7.general#3050

From: nob...@dizum.com (Nomen Nescio)
Comments: This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
It was remailed automatically by anonymizing remailer software.
Please report problems or inappropriate use to the
remailer administrator at <abuse@dizum.com>.
Subject: Google Again Destroys Another Site
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 22:20:02 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:20 UTC

My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.

I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?

This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!

I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
increased.

Greedy bastards!

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<8edb9eba7e9aaac95df6c10a0a685c58@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3052&group=alt.windows7.general#3052

From: nob...@remailer.paranoici.org (Anonymous)
remailer administrator at <abuse@remailer.paranoici.org>.
Subject: Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 00:05:02 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 8 Nov 2021 23:05 UTC

In article <5c98d7c5320d03af5978579a086170c8@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.
>
> I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
> seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
> I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?
>
> This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
> concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!
>
> I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
> increased.
>
> Greedy bastards!

Again -

A Jan Smit song "Oma" from one of his concerts was labeled as taking
3:58 to complete. It took 16:58 to download it today! And this at my
provider's speed of 85 mbps.

This nonsense never existed before a few days back.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<NL6dnY1bVIR60hf8nZ2dnUU7-c2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3053&group=alt.windows7.general#3053

From: ant...@zimage.comANT (Ant)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 04:39:35 -0600
 by: Ant - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 10:39 UTC

Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.

--
Dang (l/w)ife! :(
| |o o| |

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<ec7979699a4eee08cc7159a2258f650e@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3054&group=alt.windows7.general#3054

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 21:58:22 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Tue, 9 Nov 2021 20:58 UTC

In article <NL6dnY1bVIR60hf8nZ2dnUU7-c2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>
ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:

> Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.
>

> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> > My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.
>
> > I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
> > seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
> > I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?
>
> > This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
> > concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!
>
> > I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
> > increased.
>
> > Greedy bastards!
>

> Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.

I don't think so. I don't have a clue what they're talking about.

http://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/

youtube-dl is a command-line program to download videos from
YouTube.com and a few more sites. It requires the Python interpreter
(2.6, 2.7, or 3.2+), and it is not platform specific. We also provide
a Windows executable that includes Python. youtube-dl should work in
your Unix box, in Windows or in Mac OS X. It is released to the public
domain, which means you can modify it, redistribute it or use it
however you like.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<smf6j2$cj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3055&group=alt.windows7.general#3055

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 20:17:09 -0500
 by: Paul - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 01:17 UTC

On 11/9/2021 3:58 PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> In article <NL6dnY1bVIR60hf8nZ2dnUU7-c2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>
> ant@zimage.comANT (Ant) wrote:
>>
>> Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.
>>

>> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>>> My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.
>>
>>> I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
>>> seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
>>> I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?
>>
>>> This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
>>> concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!
>>
>>> I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
>>> increased.
>>
>>> Greedy bastards!
>>

>> Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.
>
> I don't think so. I don't have a clue what they're talking about.
>
> http://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/
>
> youtube-dl is a command-line program to download videos from
> YouTube.com and a few more sites. It requires the Python interpreter
> (2.6, 2.7, or 3.2+), and it is not platform specific. We also provide
> a Windows executable that includes Python. youtube-dl should work in
> your Unix box, in Windows or in Mac OS X. It is released to the public
> domain, which means you can modify it, redistribute it or use it
> however you like.

When an original software work is no longer maintained,
other teams can fork the source and start their own
stream. For example:

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

You have to be a bit careful with all of the projects, in
terms of "trust".

The original youtube-dl can download video from 10,000
web sites, not just Youtube. For example, it recognizes
one of my local web news sites and can lift the videos
off it there. That's for days when the video player wrapper
on my news site, is not working.

It takes a lot of effort, to maintain 10,000 functional
extractors. A number of sites might work with a similar
technique, but there will still be lots of variants.

When a new team takes over, they might not be able to
work 12 hours a day on it. Since Google actively works
to defeat tools like this, maintenance and daily releases
are all part of the workload.

Which is why a given team, can't do this for very long,
before they suffer from burnout.

To download a video faster than 1x, requires things
like multi-connection and byte ranges. And all a
provider has to do, is stop the multi-connection
thing, to reduce the download rate to 1x. Then a 60 minute
video goes back to 60 minute download time. When the
download time takes 5 minutes, that's only possible
by opening multiple connections, and each connection
gets a specific "snip" out of the video. Then they're
all glued together, concatenated via one means or
another.

On Youtube, the audio and video can be separate downloads,
then FFMPEG remuxes them to make a final full-featured
video with audio and video stream in one file. If you were
wondering why a copy of FFMPEG was in the package, that
is what it is for, little preparation tasks to make the
output portable and useful again.

Paul

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<cANnnFsSs8ihFwtp@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3056&group=alt.windows7.general#3056

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:37:22 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:37 UTC

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 at 20:17:09, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote (my
[]
>To download a video faster than 1x, requires things
>like multi-connection and byte ranges. And all a
[]
Only if the provider has rate-limited it.

"This is a one line proof... if we start sufficiently far to the left."
[Cambridge University Math Dept.]

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<MPG.3bf5d880370c650b98fe3f@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3057&group=alt.windows7.general#3057

From: the_stan...@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 13:24:56 -0800
 by: Stan Brown - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:24 UTC

On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 04:39:35 -0600, Ant wrote:
> Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.

Why would that provide any faster downloads, when Youtube appears to
be doing the throttling?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
https://OakRoadSystems.com/

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<EiJBvM2HWIjhFwkc@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3058&group=alt.windows7.general#3058

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 02:52:55 +0000
From: G6J...@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 02:52 UTC

On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 at 13:24:56, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 04:39:35 -0600, Ant wrote:
>> Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.
>>

>Why would that provide any faster downloads, when Youtube appears to
>be doing the throttling?

Because there's a constant arms race between YouTube (and other
providers), and the download coders; youtube-dl's latest (probably last)
version is 2021.06.06, and YouTube introduced the throttling more
recently than that - but yt-dlp (version 2021.10.22) may have a way
round the throttling.

My movies rise below vulgarity. - Mel Brooks, quoted by Barry Norman in RT
2016/11/26-12/2

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<smi5ag$gan$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3059&group=alt.windows7.general#3059

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:13:49 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:13 UTC

On 11/10/2021 9:52 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2021 at 13:24:56, Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
>> On Tue, 09 Nov 2021 04:39:35 -0600, Ant wrote:
>>> Get yt-dlp, a fork of youtube-dl.
>>>

>> Why would that provide any faster downloads, when Youtube appears to
>> be doing the throttling?
>>
> Because there's a constant arms race between YouTube (and other providers), and the download coders; youtube-dl's latest (probably last) version is 2021.06.06, and YouTube introduced the throttling more recently than that - but yt-dlp (version 2021.10.22) may have a way round the throttling.

There are apparently, some command line options. From 2018.

https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/6923

The download pattern Google wants, is fast delivery of enough
content to fill the "buffer", followed by 1X type transfer
speed for the remainder of the video presented.

One of the things the people in that thread tried, is only
keeping a connection long enough to enjoy the buffer portion
of the transfer. Then start another connection.

Amongst other things.

You would expect the issue tracker to have lots of reports
of that sort, including helpful hints from bystanders.

youtube-dl --external-downloader=aria2c <url>

Even VLC seems to have a copy of aria2 in it. In the
same class as curl or wget sort of thing.

Because some of these things are old references, they might
already be included in the code now.

And this is a cat and mouse game, that Google doesn't want
to win. By leaving "bait" to be downloaded, this attracts
customers. If you sewed up the service, such that no amount
of fiddling would unlock it, a good portion of your
customer base would take up a new hobby that doesn't
include your enterprise.

"EDIT4: alright, I've decided to stop using youtube altogether,
replacing it with reading books."

Yes, books on how to hack Youtube no doubt.

Paul

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<smi5v5$jaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3060&group=alt.windows7.general#3060

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:24:51 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:24 UTC

On 11/10/2021 11:13 PM, Paul wrote:
> On 11/10/2021 9:52 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>>>>

>>> Why would that provide any faster downloads, when Youtube appears to
>>> be doing the throttling?
>>>
>> Because there's a constant arms race between YouTube (and other providers), and the download coders; youtube-dl's latest (probably last) version is 2021.06.06, and YouTube introduced the throttling more recently than that - but yt-dlp (version 2021.10.22) may have a way round the throttling.
>
> There are apparently, some command line options. From 2018.
>
> https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/issues/6923
>
> The download pattern Google wants, is fast delivery of enough
> content to fill the "buffer", followed by 1X type transfer
> speed for the remainder of the video presented.
>
> One of the things the people in that thread tried, is only
> keeping a connection long enough to enjoy the buffer portion
> of the transfer. Then start another connection.
>
> Amongst other things.
>
> You would expect the issue tracker to have lots of reports
> of that sort, including helpful hints from bystanders.
>
>    youtube-dl --external-downloader=aria2c <url>
>
> Even VLC seems to have a copy of aria2 in it. In the
> same class as curl or wget sort of thing.
>
> Because some of these things are old references, they might
> already be included in the code now.
>
> And this is a cat and mouse game, that Google doesn't want
> to win. By leaving "bait" to be downloaded, this attracts
> customers. If you sewed up the service, such that no amount
> of fiddling would unlock it, a good portion of your
> customer base would take up a new hobby that doesn't
> include your enterprise.
>
>    "EDIT4: alright, I've decided to stop using youtube altogether,
>            replacing it with reading books."
>
> Yes, books on how to hack Youtube no doubt.
>
>    Paul

There's a comment here, about the kind of thing the new
developer is dealing with.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403394-YouTube-DL-Anyone-else-getting-really-slow-download-speeds-from-YouTube

Including Windows Defender kicking up a stink. I noticed here,
that on Win10, Windows Defender took a dislike to ProduKey,
calling it hackware. Apparently Windows Defender will also
pick on torrent software, and the new youtube downloader fork.

"It's not just for malware any more, it's a lifestyle choice"

Which is simple enough to fix by including exclusions, for
your entire Download folder, defeating the purpose
of having an AV onboard. Good work Microsoft! Own goal!

Paul

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<smm4qn$bf0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3061&group=alt.windows7.general#3061

From: mayay...@invalid.nospam (Mayayana)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 11:28:36 -0500
 by: Mayayana - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 16:28 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote

| Because there's a constant arms race between YouTube (and other
| providers), and the download coders; youtube-dl's latest (probably last)
| version is 2021.06.06, and YouTube introduced the throttling more
| recently than that - but yt-dlp (version 2021.10.22) may have a way
| round the throttling.

I've been looking into this and I'm not convinced it's all
Google's doing. On one site someone posted a small code
update that's said to fix the problem. On another site
people were saying that yt-dlp is also having problems.
Unfortunately, this is complicated code and I'm not used
to the format. The source code doesn't seem to have
files for compiling a Visual Studio version. Then there's
the complication of Python, the versions of which vary in
their OS support. And there are other add-ins. This is becoming
an increasing problem. Software is being written that depends
of lots of 3rd-party libraries, which all have different
dependencies.

So I was thinking about looking into editing youtube-dl
to make my own XP update, but I don't think that's realistic.
I just don't know enough or have the necessary expertise.

It may be that youtube's heyday is past. It would be nice
to see some kind of less commercial solution for people to
put such things online. At least for non-commercial video.
My own interests are mostly lectures, self-help videos,
and the occasional TV video such as John Oliver. I wouldn't
mind so much losing access to the commercial stuff.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<83106483de8e6b9e5752ae0e48f09a9e@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3062&group=alt.windows7.general#3062

Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 00:25:48 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:25 UTC

In article <5c98d7c5320d03af5978579a086170c8@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.
>
> I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
> seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
> I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?
>
> This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
> concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!
>
> I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
> increased.
>
> Greedy bastards!

Another strange thing I have noticed happening over the last month or
so, Any YouTube vid I try watching is somewhat out of focus for the
first 10 to 20 seconds before the focus snaps in. I have made no
changes of any kind to my browser in quite a while. I'm using FFx 52.9
with Win Xp.

I have never experienced this problem in the past. YouTube is getting
weird.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<8791c8665746344cd417afd71f77e0f6@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3063&group=alt.windows7.general#3063

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 02:33:25 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 01:33 UTC

In article <83106483de8e6b9e5752ae0e48f09a9e@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> In article <5c98d7c5320d03af5978579a086170c8@dizum.com>
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> >
> > My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.
> >
> > I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
> > seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
> > I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?
> >
> > This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
> > concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!
> >
> > I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
> > increased.
> >
> > Greedy bastards!
>
> Another strange thing I have noticed happening over the last month or
> so, Any YouTube vid I try watching is somewhat out of focus for the
> first 10 to 20 seconds before the focus snaps in. I have made no
> changes of any kind to my browser in quite a while. I'm using FFx 52.9
> with Win Xp.
>
> I have never experienced this problem in the past. YouTube is getting
> weird.

Found another strange happening with this focus problem.

A video starts out of focus, as I said before. After it snaps into
focus and I let it run for awhile, then move the slider back to the
point of the earlier non focus, it again is out of focus until it
again reaches the same point where foucus snapped in before. This is
"live", not me running a saved copy. So, it has to be YouTube which is
deliberately starting out of focus.

This crap never used to happen before a month or so ago.

I'm using XP, FFx 52.9 and Windows Media Player 11.

It's ridiculous what YouTube - Google - is doing.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<548cd5145c38acb7770abd818b5677f7@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3064&group=alt.windows7.general#3064

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 03:43:33 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 02:43 UTC

In article <8791c8665746344cd417afd71f77e0f6@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> In article <83106483de8e6b9e5752ae0e48f09a9e@dizum.com>
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> >
> > In article <5c98d7c5320d03af5978579a086170c8@dizum.com>
> > Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.
> > >
> > > I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
> > > seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
> > > I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?
> > >
> > > This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
> > > concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!
> > >
> > > I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
> > > increased.
> > >
> > > Greedy bastards!
> >
> > Another strange thing I have noticed happening over the last month or
> > so, Any YouTube vid I try watching is somewhat out of focus for the
> > first 10 to 20 seconds before the focus snaps in. I have made no
> > changes of any kind to my browser in quite a while. I'm using FFx 52.9
> > with Win Xp.
> >
> > I have never experienced this problem in the past. YouTube is getting
> > weird.
>
> Found another strange happening with this focus problem.
>
> A video starts out of focus, as I said before. After it snaps into
> focus and I let it run for awhile, then move the slider back to the
> point of the earlier non focus, it again is out of focus until it
> again reaches the same point where foucus snapped in before. This is
> "live", not me running a saved copy. So, it has to be YouTube which is
> deliberately starting out of focus.
>
> This crap never used to happen before a month or so ago.
>
> I'm using XP, FFx 52.9 and Windows Media Player 11.
>
> It's ridiculous what YouTube - Google - is doing.

I also found that if I move the slider farther into the video the out
of focus disappears, but then when I move the slider back to the
beginning of the video, the out of focus is there again. Remember, I'm
talking about watching it live, not with a recorded version. There is
no other reason for this but Youtube f'ng around with us.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<593d7b8e022da37f53c6b3f1d486f858@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3065&group=alt.windows7.general#3065

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 05:04:32 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 04:04 UTC

In article <548cd5145c38acb7770abd818b5677f7@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> In article <8791c8665746344cd417afd71f77e0f6@dizum.com>
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> >
> > In article <83106483de8e6b9e5752ae0e48f09a9e@dizum.com>
> > Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> > > Another strange thing I have noticed happening over the last month or
> > > so, Any YouTube vid I try watching is somewhat out of focus for the
> > > first 10 to 20 seconds before the focus snaps in. I have made no
> > > changes of any kind to my browser in quite a while. I'm using FFx 52.9
> > > with Win Xp.
> > >
> > > I have never experienced this problem in the past. YouTube is getting
> > > weird.
> >
> > Found another strange happening with this focus problem.
> >
> > A video starts out of focus, as I said before. After it snaps into
> > focus and I let it run for awhile, then move the slider back to the
> > point of the earlier non focus, it again is out of focus until it
> > again reaches the same point where foucus snapped in before. This is
> > "live", not me running a saved copy. So, it has to be YouTube which is
> > deliberately starting out of focus.
> >
> > This crap never used to happen before a month or so ago.
> >
> > I'm using XP, FFx 52.9 and Windows Media Player 11.
> >
> > It's ridiculous what YouTube - Google - is doing.
>
> I also found that if I move the slider farther into the video the out
> of focus disappears, but then when I move the slider back to the
> beginning of the video, the out of focus is there again. Remember, I'm
> talking about watching it live, not with a recorded version. There is
> no other reason for this but Youtube f'ng around with us.

It seems the files Saves ok without any of the out of focus showing
in the copied version.

Weird.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<897d99f7df4ad77f6593a78ddbcab622@remailer.paranoici.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3066&group=alt.windows7.general#3066

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 05:08:42 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 04:08 UTC

In article <8791c8665746344cd417afd71f77e0f6@dizum.com>
Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> In article <83106483de8e6b9e5752ae0e48f09a9e@dizum.com>
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> >
> > In article <5c98d7c5320d03af5978579a086170c8@dizum.com>
> > Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > My download speed is usually about 80 MPS.
> > >
> > > I used to download a simple 3 to 5 minute file from Youtube in
> > > seconds. Google now has capped download speed to a ridiculous extent.
> > > I just downloaded a 3' 14" song and it took 8' 01". Are they kidding?
> > >
> > > This nonsense started happening a few days ago. To download a musical
> > > concert that runs about an hour and a half now takes FOREVER!
> > >
> > > I'm sure we'll find out shortly if we pay Google $$$ the speed can be
> > > increased.
> > >
> > > Greedy bastards!
> >
> > Another strange thing I have noticed happening over the last month or
> > so, Any YouTube vid I try watching is somewhat out of focus for the
> > first 10 to 20 seconds before the focus snaps in. I have made no
> > changes of any kind to my browser in quite a while. I'm using FFx 52.9
> > with Win Xp.
> >
> > I have never experienced this problem in the past. YouTube is getting
> > weird.
>
> Found another strange happening with this focus problem.
>
> A video starts out of focus, as I said before. After it snaps into
> focus and I let it run for awhile, then move the slider back to the
> point of the earlier non focus, it again is out of focus until it
> again reaches the same point where foucus snapped in before. This is
> "live", not me running a saved copy. So, it has to be YouTube which is
> deliberately starting out of focus.
>
> This crap never used to happen before a month or so ago.
>
> I'm using XP, FFx 52.9 and Windows Media Player 11.
>
> It's ridiculous what YouTube - Google - is doing.

Well, it seems the 'out of focus' thingy doesn't happen if I watch
YouTube with MyPal 29.1.1 32 bit. So it seems it is my FFx 52.9 that
is causing it. YouTube is off the hook on that one, but not on the
gigantic slow down when downloading. But it remains a mystery why my
FFX started doing such a thing over a month ago. I did not update
anything about it in that time.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<smq945$8l2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3067&group=alt.windows7.general#3067

From: nos...@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 01:07:34 -0500
 by: Paul - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 06:07 UTC

On 11/13/2021 11:08 PM, Anonymous wrote:
> In article <8791c8665746344cd417afd71f77e0f6@dizum.com>
> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:
>>
>> In article <83106483de8e6b9e5752ae0e48f09a9e@dizum.com>
>> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>>> Another strange thing I have noticed happening over the last month or
>>> so, Any YouTube vid I try watching is somewhat out of focus for the
>>> first 10 to 20 seconds before the focus snaps in. I have made no
>>> changes of any kind to my browser in quite a while. I'm using FFx 52.9
>>> with Win Xp.
>>>
>>> I have never experienced this problem in the past. YouTube is getting
>>> weird.
>>
>> Found another strange happening with this focus problem.
>>
>> A video starts out of focus, as I said before. After it snaps into
>> focus and I let it run for awhile, then move the slider back to the
>> point of the earlier non focus, it again is out of focus until it
>> again reaches the same point where foucus snapped in before. This is
>> "live", not me running a saved copy. So, it has to be YouTube which is
>> deliberately starting out of focus.
>>
>> This crap never used to happen before a month or so ago.
>>
>> I'm using XP, FFx 52.9 and Windows Media Player 11.
>>
>> It's ridiculous what YouTube - Google - is doing.
>
> Well, it seems the 'out of focus' thingy doesn't happen if I watch
> YouTube with MyPal 29.1.1 32 bit. So it seems it is my FFx 52.9 that
> is causing it. YouTube is off the hook on that one, but not on the
> gigantic slow down when downloading. But it remains a mystery why my
> FFX started doing such a thing over a month ago. I did not update
> anything about it in that time.

They can look at your UserAgent string when you connect, then
they can decide what to send you. If Youtube-DL uses UserAgent
spoofing, a blowback from such things, is they could assume
some of the strings they are getting, are from Youtube-DL instead
of from a browser.

They can even send different content, for fifty different
browser types and version numbers. A different movie for
WinXP Firefox 52ESR versus Win10 Firefox 93.

At one time, they would put a band at the top of the web page,
telling you to upgrade your browser, but the "silent failure"
method is now more popular. They give a bogus message, and it
is up to the user to realize "oh, you want me to use a
different browser, gotcha".

When I had to book a COVID appointment, that's what they were
doing with the browser choice. The browser would say
"No appointments available" when what they really meant was
"boy, does your browser stink" :-) But they wouldn't come right
out and say that. I had to guess at it, that
"No appointments available" == "Bad Browser Choice".

Paul

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<98dcd6a204548a1258e74371404db981@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3068&group=alt.windows7.general#3068

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 10:56:07 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: Nomen Nescio - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 09:56 UTC

In article <smq945$8l2$1@dont-email.me>
Paul <nospam@needed.invalid> wrote:

> On 11/13/2021 11:08 PM, Anonymous wrote:
> > In article <8791c8665746344cd417afd71f77e0f6@dizum.com>
> > Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

> >> Found another strange happening with this focus problem.
> >>
> >> A video starts out of focus, as I said before. After it snaps into
> >> focus and I let it run for awhile, then move the slider back to the
> >> point of the earlier non focus, it again is out of focus until it
> >> again reaches the same point where foucus snapped in before. This is
> >> "live", not me running a saved copy. So, it has to be YouTube which is
> >> deliberately starting out of focus.
> >>
> >> This crap never used to happen before a month or so ago.
> >>
> >> I'm using XP, FFx 52.9 and Windows Media Player 11.
> >>
> >> It's ridiculous what YouTube - Google - is doing.
> >
> > Well, it seems the 'out of focus' thingy doesn't happen if I watch
> > YouTube with MyPal 29.1.1 32 bit. So it seems it is my FFx 52.9 that
> > is causing it. YouTube is off the hook on that one, but not on the
> > gigantic slow down when downloading. But it remains a mystery why my
> > FFX started doing such a thing over a month ago. I did not update
> > anything about it in that time.
> >

> They can look at your UserAgent string when you connect, then
> they can decide what to send you. If Youtube-DL uses UserAgent
> spoofing, a blowback from such things, is they could assume
> some of the strings they are getting, are from Youtube-DL instead
> of from a browser.
>
> They can even send different content, for fifty different
> browser types and version numbers. A different movie for
> WinXP Firefox 52ESR versus Win10 Firefox 93.
>
> At one time, they would put a band at the top of the web page,
> telling you to upgrade your browser, but the "silent failure"
> method is now more popular. They give a bogus message, and it
> is up to the user to realize "oh, you want me to use a
> different browser, gotcha".
>
> When I had to book a COVID appointment, that's what they were
> doing with the browser choice. The browser would say
> "No appointments available" when what they really meant was
> "boy, does your browser stink" :-) But they wouldn't come right
> out and say that. I had to guess at it, that
> "No appointments available" == "Bad Browser Choice".
>
> Paul

This is NOT what the founders of the Internet ever planned.

I remember using Gopher with the command line method before Windows
was. So the evolving (devolving) of the present day Internet is quite
a disappointment to ones like me. The $ sign now rules completely and
totally.

Re: Google Again Destroys Another Site

<fq02pg5i5dgu9d23t1qe6mbjorlnl3vh3c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3069&group=alt.windows7.general#3069

From: cra...@verizon.net (John B. Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 07:42:21 -0500
 by: John B. Smith - Sun, 14 Nov 2021 12:42 UTC

On Sun, 14 Nov 2021 01:07:34 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.invalid>
wrote:

>On 11/13/2021 11:08 PM, Anonymous wrote:
>> In article <8791c8665746344cd417afd71f77e0f6@dizum.com>
>> Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>>> Found another strange happening with this focus problem.
>>>
>>> A video starts out of focus, as I said before. After it snaps into
>>> focus and I let it run for awhile, then move the slider back to the
>>> point of the earlier non focus, it again is out of focus until it
>>> again reaches the same point where foucus snapped in before. This is
>>> "live", not me running a saved copy. So, it has to be YouTube which is
>>> deliberately starting out of focus.
>>>
>>> This crap never used to happen before a month or so ago.
>>>
>>> I'm using XP, FFx 52.9 and Windows Media Player 11.
>>>
>>> It's ridiculous what YouTube - Google - is doing.
>>
>> Well, it seems the 'out of focus' thingy doesn't happen if I watch
>> YouTube with MyPal 29.1.1 32 bit. So it seems it is my FFx 52.9 that
>> is causing it. YouTube is off the hook on that one, but not on the
>> gigantic slow down when downloading. But it remains a mystery why my
>> FFX started doing such a thing over a month ago. I did not update
>> anything about it in that time.
>>

>They can look at your UserAgent string when you connect, then
>they can decide what to send you. If Youtube-DL uses UserAgent
>spoofing, a blowback from such things, is they could assume
>some of the strings they are getting, are from Youtube-DL instead
>of from a browser.
>
>They can even send different content, for fifty different
>browser types and version numbers. A different movie for
>WinXP Firefox 52ESR versus Win10 Firefox 93.
>
>At one time, they would put a band at the top of the web page,
>telling you to upgrade your browser, but the "silent failure"
>method is now more popular. They give a bogus message, and it
>is up to the user to realize "oh, you want me to use a
>different browser, gotcha".
>
>When I had to book a COVID appointment, that's what they were
>doing with the browser choice. The browser would say
>"No appointments available" when what they really meant was
>"boy, does your browser stink" :-) But they wouldn't come right
>out and say that. I had to guess at it, that
>"No appointments available" == "Bad Browser Choice".
>
> Paul
Equally infuriating was the Swanson Vitamin site that would accept my
credit card then go into lah-lah land leaving me in doubt whether my
card had been charged or not. Switching to Win7 and a little more
modern Firefox let me know for sure they had been telling me:
== Bad Browser Choice.