Every successful person has had failures but repeated failure is no guarantee of eventual success.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Remote desktop Protocol issue.

SubjectAuthor
* Remote desktop Protocol issue.SH
+- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Jeff Gaines
+* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Adrian Caspersz
|`* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.SH
| +* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.SH
| |`* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Sylvia Else
| | `* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.fos
| |  +- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Sylvia Else
| |  `* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.SH
| |   +* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.SH
| |   |+* Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.SH
| |   ||+- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Sylvia Else
| |   ||`- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.David
| |   |`- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Dan Purgert
| |   `- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Bruce Horrocks
| `- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Adrian Caspersz
+- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.Raj Kundra
`- Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.scott

1
Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<ttjdnp$3bruo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3073&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3073

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Subject: Remote desktop Protocol issue.
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:18:17 +0000
 by: SH - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 23:18 UTC

right I have three PCs.

PC A is Windows & Ultimate SP1

PC B is Windows 10 Pro

Now I can RDP from the Win 7 Ultimate to the Win 10 pro no problem.

I cannot RDP from Win 10 pro to the Win 7 Ultimate

Both machines have Remote assiatant AND Remote desktop access enabled.

I have tried disabling the private firewall in the Win 7 Ultimate
machine but thsi made no difference.

I have a PC C with Win 10 Professional on thos, I can use PC A to RDP
into PC C.

So the issue seems to be with the PC B with Win 7 Ultimate.

I have ensured that port 3389 is open and listening on both PC A and PC B.

All 3 PCs are on the same Netgear switch.

All 3 PCs can access the interbet no problem

All 3 PCs can see my two NAS servers in the loft.

All 3 PCs are provided with DNS from a single Pi Hole.

Any ideas anyone?

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<xn0nymorzi5j1fe013@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3076&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3076

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Subject: Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.
Date: 28 Feb 2023 08:39:33 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 08:39 UTC

On 27/02/2023 in message <ttjdnp$3bruo$1@dont-email.me> SH wrote:

>Any ideas anyone?

I have not used Win 7 Ultimate, does it definitely have an RDP server? My
knowledge is limited to Pro having a RDP server but Home only having a
client.

Can you see shared directories on the \win 7 machine from the other
machines in Windows Explorer? I always use the same user name and password
on my machines and the only issues that I have ever had have been when I
forgot to enable RDP connections, which doesn't really help you.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<k6633bFotgsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3078&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3078

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:24:42 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 10:24 UTC

On 27/02/2023 23:18, SH wrote:
> right I have three PCs.
>
> PC A is Windows & Ultimate SP1
>
> PC B is Windows 10 Pro
>
> Now I can RDP from the Win 7 Ultimate to the Win 10 pro no problem.
>
> I cannot RDP from Win 10 pro to the Win 7 Ultimate
>
> Both machines have Remote assiatant AND Remote desktop access enabled.
>
> I have tried disabling the private firewall in the Win 7 Ultimate
> machine but thsi made no difference.
>
> I have a PC C with Win 10 Professional on thos, I can use PC A to RDP
> into PC C.
>
> So the issue seems to be with the PC B with Win 7 Ultimate.

So the RDP server on PC B (Win 7 ultimate) is refusing connections.

Try disabling NLA on it.

The content shown of various dialogs is important.

Also have a look at the application logs

--
Adrian C

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<ttlimr$1src$1@news.cyber23.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3079&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3079

From: i.l...@spam.me (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:55:24 +0000
 by: SH - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 18:55 UTC

On 28/02/2023 10:24, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
> On 27/02/2023 23:18, SH wrote:
>> right I have three PCs.
>>
>> PC A is Windows & Ultimate SP1
>>
>> PC B is Windows 10 Pro
>>
>> Now I can RDP from the Win 7 Ultimate to the Win 10 pro no problem.
>>
>> I cannot RDP from Win 10 pro to the Win 7 Ultimate
>>
>> Both machines have Remote assiatant AND Remote desktop access enabled.
>>
>> I have tried disabling the private firewall in the Win 7 Ultimate
>> machine but thsi made no difference.
>>
>> I have a PC C with Win 10 Professional on thos, I can use PC A to RDP
>> into PC C.
>>
>> So the issue seems to be with the PC B with Win 7 Ultimate.
>
> So the RDP server on PC B (Win 7 ultimate) is refusing connections.
>
> Try disabling NLA on it.
>
> The content shown of various dialogs is important.
>
> Also have a look at the application logs

Already disabled NLA on teh WIn 7 Ultimate box and on the Win 10 Pro box.

Where do I find the log files for RDP connection attempts?

S.

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<tto549$o2f$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3081&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3081

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2023 18:22:01 +0000
 by: SH - Wed, 1 Mar 2023 18:22 UTC

On 28/02/2023 18:55, SH wrote:
> On 28/02/2023 10:24, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
>> On 27/02/2023 23:18, SH wrote:
>>> right I have three PCs.
>>>
>>> PC A is Windows & Ultimate SP1
>>>
>>> PC B is Windows 10 Pro
>>>
>>> Now I can RDP from the Win 7 Ultimate to the Win 10 pro no problem.
>>>
>>> I cannot RDP from Win 10 pro to the Win 7 Ultimate
>>>
>>> Both machines have Remote assiatant AND Remote desktop access enabled.
>>>
>>> I have tried disabling the private firewall in the Win 7 Ultimate
>>> machine but thsi made no difference.
>>>
>>> I have a PC C with Win 10 Professional on thos, I can use PC A to RDP
>>> into PC C.
>>>
>>> So the issue seems to be with the PC B with Win 7 Ultimate.
>>
>> So the RDP server on PC B (Win 7 ultimate) is refusing connections.
>>
>> Try disabling NLA on it.
>>
>> The content shown of various dialogs is important.
>>
>> Also have a look at the application logs
>>

> Already disabled NLA on teh WIn 7 Ultimate box and on the Win 10 Pro box.
>
> Where do I find the log files for RDP connection attempts?
>
> S.

UPDATE

Still cannot RDP into the Win7 Ultimate box from ANY other computer so
the issue lies with the Win7 box.

All computers can all see the two NASes including the errant Win7 box.

Network browser shows the presence of the Win7 box on ALL other PCs.

I then attempted to use disc2VHD from sysinternals and then copied that
across to my main win 10 box to then run under HyperV. The VHDX does
start but then crashes with a blue screen complaining of software and
hardware changes and wants me to do a start up repair or contine booting
windows. Neither option works.

So for now I have ended up using TightVNC on teh Win7 Ultimate box/
WHile it works, its very video laggy and not as smmooth or slick as
either RDP or Hyperv.

What can I try next?

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<k6a7tsFe3snU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3082&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3082

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 11:11:40 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 00:11 UTC

On 02-Mar-23 5:22 am, SH wrote:
> On 28/02/2023 18:55, SH wrote:

>>> So the RDP server on PC B (Win 7 ultimate) is refusing connections.
>>>
>>> Try disabling NLA on it.
>>>
>>> The content shown of various dialogs is important.
>>>
>>> Also have a look at the application logs
>>>

>> Already disabled NLA on teh WIn 7 Ultimate box and on the Win 10 Pro box.
>>
>> Where do I find the log files for RDP connection attempts?
>>
>> S.
>

>   UPDATE
>
> Still cannot RDP into the Win7 Ultimate box from ANY other computer so
> the issue lies with the Win7 box.
>
> All computers can all see the two NASes including the errant Win7 box.
>
> Network browser shows the presence of the Win7 box on ALL other PCs.
>
> I then attempted to use disc2VHD from sysinternals and then copied that
> across to my main win 10 box to then run under HyperV. The VHDX does
> start but then crashes with a blue screen complaining of software and
> hardware changes and wants me to do a start up repair or contine booting
> windows. Neither option works.
>
> So for now I have ended up using TightVNC on teh Win7 Ultimate box/
> WHile it works, its very video laggy and not as smmooth or slick as
> either RDP or Hyperv.
>
> What can I try next?

You could try ssh to the RDP port. Clearly, that's not actually going to
work, but you should get some indication of whether it's at least
managing to connect to the port, which in turn would indicate whether
it's a networking problem, or a protocol issue.

Trying that from the Win7 box to localhost could also be informative.

Sylvia.

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<k6b32kFi0phU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3083&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3083

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 07:55:00 +0000
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 07:55 UTC

On 28/02/2023 18:55, SH wrote:
>> Also have a look at the application logs
>>

> Already disabled NLA on teh WIn 7 Ultimate box and on the Win 10 Pro box.
>
> Where do I find the log files for RDP connection attempts?

Sorry, been waylaid on other issues. The following might be of
assistance, but I'd have a look first with an SSH check as suggested by
Sylvia.

https://ponderthebits.com/2018/02/windows-rdp-related-event-logs-identification-tracking-and-investigation/

--
Adrian C

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<ttq8li$a8mm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3084&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3084

From: raj...@kundracomputers.co.uk (Raj Kundra)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 13:34:42 +0000
 by: Raj Kundra - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 13:34 UTC

On 27/02/2023 23:18, SH wrote:
> right I have three PCs.
>
> PC A is Windows & Ultimate SP1
>
> PC B is Windows 10 Pro
>
> Now I can RDP from the Win 7 Ultimate to the Win 10 pro no problem.
>
> I cannot RDP from Win 10 pro to the Win 7 Ultimate
>
> Both machines have Remote assiatant AND Remote desktop access enabled.
>
> I have tried disabling the private firewall in the Win 7 Ultimate
> machine but thsi made no difference.
>
> I have a PC C with Win 10 Professional on thos, I can use PC A to RDP
> into PC C.
>
> So the issue seems to be with the PC B with Win 7 Ultimate.
>
> I have ensured that port 3389 is open and listening on both PC A and PC B.
>
> All 3 PCs are on the same Netgear switch.
>
> All 3 PCs can access the interbet no problem
>
> All 3 PCs can see my two NAS servers in the loft.
>
> All 3 PCs are provided with DNS from a single Pi Hole.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
I will always start by updating Drivers for NIC, then disable AV and try.

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<slrnu01ih8.9it.fos@ma.sdf.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3085&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3085

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
From: fos...@sdf.org
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 16:09:12 GMT
 by: fos...@sdf.org - Thu, 2 Mar 2023 16:09 UTC

On 2023-03-02, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:
> On 02-Mar-23 5:22 am, SH wrote:

>>> Already disabled NLA on teh WIn 7 Ultimate box and on the Win 10 Pro box.

>>> Where do I find the log files for RDP connection attempts?

>>   UPDATE
>> Still cannot RDP into the Win7 Ultimate box from ANY other computer so
>> the issue lies with the Win7 box.
>> All computers can all see the two NASes including the errant Win7 box.
>> Network browser shows the presence of the Win7 box on ALL other PCs.
>> I then attempted to use disc2VHD from sysinternals and then copied that
>> across to my main win 10 box to then run under HyperV. The VHDX does
>> start but then crashes with a blue screen complaining of software and
>> hardware changes and wants me to do a start up repair or contine booting
>> windows. Neither option works.
>> So for now I have ended up using TightVNC on teh Win7 Ultimate box/
>> WHile it works, its very video laggy and not as smmooth or slick as
>> either RDP or Hyperv.
>> What can I try next?

> You could try ssh to the RDP port. Clearly, that's not actually going to
> work, but you should get some indication of whether it's at least
> managing to connect to the port, which in turn would indicate whether
> it's a networking problem, or a protocol issue.

> Trying that from the Win7 box to localhost could also be informative.

before using ssh or telnt to connect to the RDP port, use the netstat
command from a command prompt to determine if RDP is actually listening
on the port.

netstat /?

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<k6cuv8Fqio1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3086&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3086

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:57:12 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 00:57 UTC

On 03-Mar-23 3:09 am, fos@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2023-03-02, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid> wrote:

>>>   UPDATE
>
>>> Still cannot RDP into the Win7 Ultimate box from ANY other computer so
>>> the issue lies with the Win7 box.
>
>>> All computers can all see the two NASes including the errant Win7 box.
>
>>> Network browser shows the presence of the Win7 box on ALL other PCs.
>
>>> I then attempted to use disc2VHD from sysinternals and then copied that
>>> across to my main win 10 box to then run under HyperV. The VHDX does
>>> start but then crashes with a blue screen complaining of software and
>>> hardware changes and wants me to do a start up repair or contine booting
>>> windows. Neither option works.
>
>>> So for now I have ended up using TightVNC on teh Win7 Ultimate box/
>>> WHile it works, its very video laggy and not as smmooth or slick as
>>> either RDP or Hyperv.
>
>>> What can I try next?
>
>> You could try ssh to the RDP port. Clearly, that's not actually going to
>> work, but you should get some indication of whether it's at least
>> managing to connect to the port, which in turn would indicate whether
>> it's a networking problem, or a protocol issue.
>
>> Trying that from the Win7 box to localhost could also be informative.
>
> before using ssh or telnt to connect to the RDP port, use the netstat
> command from a command prompt to determine if RDP is actually listening
> on the port.
>
> netstat /?

The OP said that the port was being listened on, so I assumed he'd
already done that, or something equivalent.

Sylvia.

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<ttseko$1hk7$1@news.cyber23.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3087&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3087

From: i.l...@spam.me (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:28:56 +0000
 by: SH - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:28 UTC

> before using ssh or telnt to connect to the RDP port, use the netstat
> command from a command prompt to determine if RDP is actually listening
> on the port.
>
> netstat /?

Well I used Netstat -anb on PC's A, B and C and looking for the port
3389 which is used by RDP.

RDP is provided by the process TermService hence why I added the b
option as that will show the process name.

I then copied the results into Notepad and used ctrl F to look for 3389
and for TermService

I confirm that ALL 3 PCs have RDP enabled with NO NLA and also Remote
Assistant is enabled.

My main PC gives:

C:\Windows\system32>netstat -anb

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TermService
TCP [::]:3389 [::]:0 LISTENING
TermService
UDP 0.0.0.0:3389 *:*
TermService

UDP [::]:3389 *:*
TermService

I can RDP into or out of this PC except to the win 7 box:

PC B gives:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netstat -anb

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State

TCP 192.168.0.233:3389 192.168.0.133:61743 ESTABLISHED
TermService

TCP [::]:3389 [::]:0 LISTENING
TermService

UDP 0.0.0.0:3389 *:*
TermService

UDP [::]:3389 *:*
TermService

This one I can RDP into our out of except to the Win 7 box.

Now to the problematic Win7 box:

C:\Windows\system32>netstat -anb

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State

TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
CryptSvc

TCP [::]:3389 [::]:0 LISTENING
CryptSvc

Now this PC can RDP into any of the Win 10 boxes but none of the other
PCs can RDP into this specific win7 machine.

I then went into task manager on the Win7 box to see if TermService is
actually running:

It is NOT listed so I assume its been unable to start due to port 3389
not being available or that CryptSvc is the win7 service that provides
RDP (assumimng TermService was not available for Win7?)

So this machine has only two 3389 ports open whereas the other PC's have
4 off 3389 ports listed

AND

CryptSvc is using port 3389 and no TermService is actually running

So what is CryptSvc?

I then looked for CryptSvc on the other 2 win10 boxes in the netstat
-anb results and there is no CryptSvc listed.

I assume my next step is to disable cryptSvc and then hopefully
TermService can take over Port 3389?

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<ttsfih$1hk7$2@news.cyber23.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3088&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3088

From: i.l...@spam.me (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:44:49 +0000
 by: SH - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:44 UTC

On 03/03/2023 09:28, SH wrote:

> [...]
>

> Now this PC can RDP into any of the Win 10 boxes but none of the other
> PCs can RDP into this specific win7 machine.
>
> I then went into task manager on the Win7 box to see if TermService is
> actually running:
>
> It is NOT listed so I assume its been unable to start due to port 3389
> not being available or that CryptSvc is the win7 service that provides
> RDP (assumimng TermService was not available for Win7?)
>
> So this machine has only two 3389 ports open whereas the other PC's have
> 4 off 3389 ports listed
>
> AND
>
> CryptSvc is using port 3389 and no TermService is actually running
>
> So what is CryptSvc?
>
> I then looked for CryptSvc on the other 2 win10 boxes in the netstat
> -anb results and there is no CryptSvc listed.
>
> I assume my next step is to disable cryptSvc and then hopefully

P.S. on a hunch, I rdp'ed into a win10 box from the Win7 box and did a
netstat -anb as I knew the IP address and port no of teh win10 box...

The result is

TCP 192.168.0.110:49213 192.168.0.233:3389 ESTABLISHED
mstsc.exe

so it seems the win7 box is using port 49213 and the process mstsc.exe
for RDP?

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<ttsfpj$1hk6$1@news.cyber23.de>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3089&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3089

From: i.l...@spam.me (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:48:36 +0000
 by: SH - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 09:48 UTC

On 03/03/2023 09:44, SH wrote:
> [...]
>> RDP (assumimng TermService was not available for Win7?)
>>
>> So this machine has only two 3389 ports open whereas the other PC's
>> have 4 off 3389 ports listed
>>
>> AND
>>
>> CryptSvc is using port 3389 and no TermService is actually running
>>
>> So what is CryptSvc?
>>
>> I then looked for CryptSvc on the other 2 win10 boxes in the netstat
>> -anb results and there is no CryptSvc listed.
>>
>> I assume my next step is to disable cryptSvc and then hopefully
>> TermService can take over Port 3389?
>>

> P.S. on a hunch, I rdp'ed into a win10 box from the Win7 box and did a
> netstat -anb as I knew the IP address and port no of teh win10 box...
>

> The result is
>
> TCP   192.168.0.110:49213    192.168.0.233:3389   ESTABLISHED
> mstsc.exe
>
> so it seems the win7 box is using port 49213 and the process mstsc.exe

and mstsc.exe only starts up when launching a RDP session FROM the Win7
box....

As soon as I close the RDP connection, mstsc.exe closes dwon so that
implies I still would not be able to RDP into the win7 box unless that
mstsc.exe is actually running on the Win7 box as a background service?

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<slrnu03ioi.buj.dan@djph.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3090&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3090

Followup: comp.misc
From: dan...@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:24:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 10:24 UTC

--
|_|O|_|

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<k6e5koF1tbfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3091&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3091

From: syl...@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2023 22:57:12 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 11:57 UTC

On 03-Mar-23 8:48 pm, SH wrote:

> [...]
>>> -anb results and there is no CryptSvc listed.
>>>
>>> I assume my next step is to disable cryptSvc and then hopefully
>>> TermService can take over Port 3389?
>>>

>> P.S. on a hunch, I rdp'ed into a win10 box from the Win7 box and did a
>> netstat -anb as I knew the IP address and port no of teh win10 box...
>>

>> The result is
>>
>> TCP   192.168.0.110:49213    192.168.0.233:3389   ESTABLISHED
>> mstsc.exe
>>
>> so it seems the win7 box is using port 49213 and the process mstsc.exe
>> for RDP?
>>

> and mstsc.exe only starts up when launching a RDP session FROM the Win7
> box....
>
> As soon as I close the RDP connection, mstsc.exe closes dwon so that
> implies I still would not be able to RDP into the win7 box unless that
> mstsc.exe is actually running on the Win7 box as a background service?

Sounds as if it's started as required under Windows 10 by whatever is
listening on the RDP port. The same could be true under Win7.

Does that executable exist on Win7?

Have you looked at the Win7 event log? That occasionally contains useful
information.

Sylvia

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<vBqML.1399269$iU59.1173079@fx14.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3092&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3092

Sender: Scott Alfter <salfter@linode.members.linode.com>
From: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 18:00:59 GMT
 by: sco...@alfter.diespammersdie.us - Fri, 3 Mar 2023 18:00 UTC

In comp.misc SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> right I have three PCs.
>
> PC A is Windows & Ultimate SP1
>
> PC B is Windows 10 Pro
>
> Now I can RDP from the Win 7 Ultimate to the Win 10 pro no problem.
>
> I cannot RDP from Win 10 pro to the Win 7 Ultimate

Is the Win7 box fully patched? If it isn't, there may be some protocol
disagreements between it and newer hosts, if I remember properly. I have a
couple of Win7 VMs on a Win11 host that I can RDP into without issue. The
VMs have all the patches that were ever made available.

--
_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<535f1b53-aae7-07ce-193e-8a0b5240e48a@scorecrow.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3093&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3093

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:39:07 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 12:39 UTC

On 03/03/2023 09:28, SH wrote:

> [...]
>

> Now this PC can RDP into any of the Win 10 boxes but none of the other
> PCs can RDP into this specific win7 machine.
>
> I then went into task manager on the Win7 box to see if TermService is
> actually running:
>
> It is NOT listed so I assume its been unable to start due to port 3389
> not being available or that CryptSvc is the win7 service that provides
> RDP (assumimng TermService was not available for Win7?)
>
> So this machine has only two 3389 ports open whereas the other PC's have
> 4 off 3389 ports listed
>
> AND
>
> CryptSvc is using port 3389 and no TermService is actually running
>
> So what is CryptSvc?
>
> I then looked for CryptSvc on the other 2 win10 boxes in the netstat
> -anb results and there is no CryptSvc listed.
>
> I assume my next step is to disable cryptSvc and then hopefully

Agreed that is a good next step. And the chosen answer in this thread
might help with that.

<https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/34593d87-8a3f-4cd0-868b-82a407b19428/remote-desktop-was-working-but-quit?forum=winRDc>

If that doesn't work then the next thing to look at is why all your
working PCs report TCP ** and UDP ** listening on port 3389 but the
problematic one omits UDP.

I've no idea where to look in the settings for that - perhaps firewall -
but maybe others here can help.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Remote desktop Protocol issue.

<k6jqoiFkbs4U24@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3094&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3094

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.misc,uk.comp.misc
Date: 5 Mar 2023 15:28:18 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 5 Mar 2023 15:28 UTC

On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 09:48:36 +0000, SH wrote:

> [...]
>>> -anb results and there is no CryptSvc listed.
>>>
>>> I assume my next step is to disable cryptSvc and then hopefully
>>> TermService can take over Port 3389?
>>>

>> P.S. on a hunch, I rdp'ed into a win10 box from the Win7 box and did a
>> netstat -anb as I knew the IP address and port no of teh win10 box...
>>

>> The result is
>>
>> TCP   192.168.0.110:49213    192.168.0.233:3389   ESTABLISHED mstsc.exe
>>
>> so it seems the win7 box is using port 49213 and the process mstsc.exe
>> for RDP?
>>

> and mstsc.exe only starts up when launching a RDP session FROM the Win7
> box....
>
> As soon as I close the RDP connection, mstsc.exe closes dwon so that
> implies I still would not be able to RDP into the win7 box unless that
> mstsc.exe is actually running on the Win7 box as a background service?

Quick note on standard ports:

A standard port is normally a known fixed port a process can call into to
start a session.
A listener is always watching that port.
As far as I recall there is then a negotiation between caller and receiver
which can result in a new port being opened and used for the length of the
session.
This port number for the session (and potentially the process attached to
it) does not necessarily reflect the ID of the initial listener.

This also allows a single port to accept incoming calls for a number of
different protocols, instead of needing one port for each.

It is a while since I actively looked at this though.

HTH

Dave R