From: ber...@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: debugging a missing newsgroup
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:07:23 -0500
 by: Bernie Cosell - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:07 UTC

I've linked up with a new news server and all is well...*except* one
newsgroup won't work. I get "Failed: no servers in the access plan carry
the newsgroup". I've contacted the sysadmin and they assured that they DO
carry the newsgroup [even showed me a recent header]. Is there any way to
debug this problem [e.,g, to get a log of the NNTP transaction to see what
might have gone awry].

NB: I have the same active newsgroups as I did with the old server. All I
did was deleted the old server and added the new one.

Thanks /b\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
bernie@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA

Re: debugging a missing newsgroup

<4aqjtghpe0cnb41oblf7jtpavctaabf4ot@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3070&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3070

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: debugging a missing newsgroup
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 08:47:08 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:47 UTC

On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:07:23 -0500, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> I've linked up with a new news server and all is well...*except* one
> newsgroup won't work. I get "Failed: no servers in the access plan carry
> the newsgroup". I've contacted the sysadmin and they assured that they DO
> carry the newsgroup [even showed me a recent header]. Is there any way to
> debug this problem [e.,g, to get a log of the NNTP transaction to see what
> might have gone awry].
>
> NB: I have the same active newsgroups as I did with the old server. All I
> did was deleted the old server and added the new one.
>
> Thanks /b\

Select the newsgroup in the folders pane, and then go to
Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan

On the News Access Plan panel, look at these:

1. There should be a check-mark in 'Enable newsgroup retrieval and posting'

2. The 'Newsgroup:' box should have the newsgroup name entered
correctly. Newsgroup names are all lower case.

3. Examine the list of servers on the news access plan:
a) A check-mark to the left of the server means this
server is enabled for this newsgroup.
b) An asterisk to the right of the server means this
server is known to carry the newsgroup (the newsgroup
is in the Newsgroup Directory for this server).

If there is no check-mark to the left of the server you want,
then put a check-mark there.

If there is no asterisk to the right of the server you want, then

3.1 You may need to update the Newsgroup Directory from the
new news server.
Tools >> Newsgroup Directory >> Update Directory

3.2 If you have updated the Newsgroup Directory from the new news server
and the Newsgroup Directory still does not list this newsgroup with
this server, then see this page in the help file:
Help >> Index >> How to Manually Add a Newsgroup
You will need to apply *all* the configuration settings there.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: debugging a missing newsgroup

<dhnmtghtstrvvkh4kbu3df4i5ku20lugp4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3073&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3073

From: ber...@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 17:18:27 -0500
 by: Bernie Cosell - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:18 UTC

}
} > I've linked up with a new news server and all is well...*except* one
} > newsgroup won't work. I get "Failed: no servers in the access plan carry
} > the newsgroup".

} Select the newsgroup in the folders pane, and then go to
} Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan

Checkmark and asterisk are both there for headers, bodies, posting

} 3.1 You may need to update the Newsgroup Directory from the
} new news server.
} Tools >> Newsgroup Directory >> Update Directory

The newsgroup is listed in the newsgroup lists. and it all looks ok.

Something is very odd, though. When I try going to a newsgroup that is
*NOT* carried by the server, I do a "get new headers" and it blinks-online
and THEN tells me that the newsgroup isn't there. For this newsgroup
[misc.legal.moderated] it *instantly* says "no such newsgroup" with no
flash-of-going-online at all.

Very strange...

/B\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
bernie@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--

Re: debugging a missing newsgroup

<9snmtghi5qjcleboi5kk12t3l8tp1d15j1@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3074&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3074

From: ber...@fantasyfarm.com (Bernie Cosell)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 17:21:38 -0500
 by: Bernie Cosell - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 22:21 UTC

Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:

} On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:07:23 -0500, Bernie Cosell wrote:
}
} > I've linked up with a new news server and all is well...*except* one
} > newsgroup won't work. I get "Failed: no servers in the access plan carry
} > the newsgroup".

} Select the newsgroup in the folders pane, and then go to
} Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan
}
} On the News Access Plan panel, look at these:
}
} 1. There should be a check-mark in 'Enable newsgroup retrieval and posting'

[...]

} 3. Examine the list of servers on the news access plan:
} a) A check-mark to the left of the server means this
} server is enabled for this newsgroup.
} b) An asterisk to the right of the server means this
} server is known to carry the newsgroup (the newsgroup
} is in the Newsgroup Directory for this server).

I double checked and that was the problem!! When I went back to see if
that could be the problem [that is, that it didn't have *ANY* servers for
that newsgroup] I did, in fact, see that it wasn't checked. I checked it
and now it is working just fine. Sorry for the stupid oversight and thanks
for the help

/Bernie\
--
Bernie Cosell Fantasy Farm Fibers
bernie@fantasyfarm.com Pearisburg, VA
--> Too many people, too few sheep <--

Re: debugging a missing newsgroup

<tt52ugtpce3di7aeje9grsabti8ej5ra3i@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3075&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#3075

From: -rf-...@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 20:18:55 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 14 Jan 2022 07:18 UTC

On Sun, 09 Jan 2022 17:21:38 -0500, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote:
> } On Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:07:23 -0500, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> }
> } > I've linked up with a new news server and all is well...*except* one
> } > newsgroup won't work. I get "Failed: no servers in the access plan carry
> } > the newsgroup".
>
> } Select the newsgroup in the folders pane, and then go to
> } Folder >> Properties >> News Access Plan
> }
> } On the News Access Plan panel, look at these:
> }
> } 1. There should be a check-mark in 'Enable newsgroup retrieval and posting'
>
> [...]
>
> } 3. Examine the list of servers on the news access plan:
> } a) A check-mark to the left of the server means this
> } server is enabled for this newsgroup.
> } b) An asterisk to the right of the server means this
> } server is known to carry the newsgroup (the newsgroup
> } is in the Newsgroup Directory for this server).
>
> I double checked and that was the problem!! When I went back to see if
> that could be the problem [that is, that it didn't have *ANY* servers for
> that newsgroup] I did, in fact, see that it wasn't checked. I checked it
> and now it is working just fine. Sorry for the stupid oversight and thanks
> for the help

If the Newsgroup Directory has "Display a separate line for each server"
turned on When you subscribe to a newsgroup, Agent configures the
newsgroup's News Access Plan to only access the one news server.

By default there is a pop-up warning when this happens.

screen-shot: <http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=24_agent_tip.png>

If you only have a single news server then you will not see any
difference right away. Not until you add a new server, which may
only happen very much later.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

βπ•π”Όβ„•π•€β—¦π•π•€π”»π•€β—¦π•π•€β„‚π•€βž βž– π”Ύπ”Έπ•€π•π•Š π•€π•π•ƒπ•€π•π•Š β„‚π”Έπ”Όπ•Šπ”Έβ„